daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old February 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Molly
( rolling pin )

Likes (Received): 0

City Nature reserves.

I've been meaning to get some 'green' pics of our city for years not got round to it.

But today I saw a roe deer in the Kirkstall woods and in our 10 years here I'd not known we had city dwelling deer! It was an amazing sight... running away through the woods with it's cute little tail. .... okay it was really kind of running for it's life cos it met my dogs.... my dogs came face to face with it in the undergrowth and all three just stood there a little shocked. Normally with dogs you never see more than the odd squirrel. It was an impressive sight for a city walk. I mentioned it to some people and threy said 'oh yes we have plenty of deer living in Leeds' like it was normal! lol!

( ...guess what... not my pics ... I had all on just to call the dogs back! )

Anyway... thought I'd try to dedicate a thread to green Leeds.

Please add any pics if you have them.

Meanwood valley

Kirkstall Valley

city council conservation

Urban countryside guide

Rodley walks
Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 34

Hi Molly, another nice thread you've started here! I seem to remember nearly running one of those little chappies over just up the road from you near the college a while ago. It escaped to live another day.

It's the best thing about Leeds, your never too far from a little peice and quiet. Here up in the gods in Yeadon, we have the best of both worlds. It's only two minutes from the town centre and fifteen minutes from the city centre, yet only five minutes away from places like the Chevin Forest Park and Golden Acre Park.

Here is the view looking out over my back garden into the fields. It was taken last December early in the morning.

I had to cheat a little to blot out the washing line!
Old February 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Fred2

There are deer to be seen (and also pheasants) in the Harewood Estate - within the boundaries of Leeds. Further out also at Lotherton Hall.
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #4
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

Walk round the Big Lake at the Park, along the track to the right of the folly as you look at it in Roundhay Park and then across the 13 or so little wooden bridges and cross the Ring Road (admittedly, not the nicest part of North Leeds). Follow the track along the line of fields to Shadwell, then a pint at the Red Lion, up the hill, first right, along the track and back over the Ring Road, across the Leeds Golf Course fairway and back into the Park. Marvellous walk, not exactly a nature reserve, but round circuit from the parentals takes a couple of hrs and apart from crossing the Ring Road you're guaranteed quiet, give or take a couple of low flying golf balls.

Oh, and there's some wonderful nature to espy as well
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #5
di Livio

Likes (Received): 301

The walk around Eccup reservoir and environs is a good one, starting from Alwoodley golf course/Harrogate Road.
Further out, the Collingham, Linton and Boston Spa public footpaths are pretty good (not my website i hasten to add!)

http://www.flar.demon.co.uk/walking/2004-01-01.htm
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Molly
( rolling pin )

Wow SC! that sky is amazing! You have a lovely view too! Yes I love Leeds because it offers a little of ever aspect of life. Other cities don't seem to offer the versatility of Leeds with such ease of access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
There are deer to be seen (and also pheasants) in the Harewood Estate - within the boundaries of Leeds. Further out also at Lotherton Hall.
oh dear.... you seem geographically confused! I wouldn't class Harewood or Lotherton Hall as part of Leeds City....

and I'd also guess those are table critters they will get hunted and shot and eaten... rather than our cute natural wild safe Leeds City Critters. .... I guess I find those less amazing because I kind of expect to see the odd deer in a deer sanctuary, deer farm or out in the country...

( ...sorry Fred... I just couldn't resist having a go at you. .. hence lots of winks! )

I'd think we might have the little Muntjac in the city because they are so small and I've seen them live quite happily in urban areas before down south. We have those living in the bushes on our Marina near Reading... but even knowing they are there it's still rare to see them. Been going there all my life and only seen them once.... never seen them in Leeds but I'm sure we will have them. But roe deer are bigger.... but small compared to farm deer.

Anyways... these are Leeds urban deer. And the fact that Leeds is great for it's city wildlife areas in addition to it's more famous local surrounding countryside.

Meanewood Valley and The hollies is great for green walks, for wildlife and photography. ... there are some very interesting walks there. I've no pic though.

This is a very interesring site. Gledhow Valley Woods is between chapel Allerton and Gledhow.
http://www.fgvw.co.uk/index.htm

This site is great. It links to all the Leeds forrests and woodlands..
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/fol/forest.html

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/fol/fol_north.html

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/fol/forest.html

In Leeds CITY last year there was an increase in rare bird sightings. I don't know enough about birds to recognise a rare bird from a normal one but folks I know who work in the parks and get to meet a lot of devotedly obsessed bird watchers so pick up on what is what were very excited about this.

A survey monitering our UK mamal population... it's quite interesting.

http://www.bto.org/bbs/results/mammal_monitoring.htm

In credit to the council... a few years ago you would go burnt out car spotting in thgese locations and not see birds and wildlife... so this is a great achievement for the city to see wildlife such as the otters at Thwaits Mill ( btw the mill is severely interesting place to visit if you have not already been! ) comming back to live in our city.

And a big Gold star for Jimbo... yes that's a city walk! I'm so relieved you know the difference between the city is and the countryside! Smart lad that Jimbo.

Last edited by Molly; February 10th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Stig282

Doesn't Leeds hold the accolade of the Greenest City in Europe? Green being defined by the amount of verges/parks/trees etc.

I know I'm going to miss this 'green and pleasant land'.
Stig282 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Fred2

>>>>>> oh dear.... you seem geographically confused! I wouldn't class Harewood or Lotherton Hall as part of Leeds City....

( ...sorry Fred... I just couldn't resist having a go at you. .. hence lots of winks! )>>>>>

Molly, congratulations on starting a very nice thread. No I am not geographically confused - perhaps you should define precisely what you mean as Leeds City. Meanwhile, Lord Harewood (I presume) pays council tax to Leeds City Council - in my book that makes his estate, his deer and his pheasants, in Leeds.
I don't mind you having a go at me Molly - in fact I take it as a compliment !
Fred2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 426

2nd greenest city... (After Vienna)
Old February 10th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #10
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred2
>>>>>> oh dear.... you seem geographically confused! I wouldn't class Harewood or Lotherton Hall as part of Leeds City....

( ...sorry Fred... I just couldn't resist having a go at you. .. hence lots of winks! )>>>>>

Molly, congratulations on starting a very nice thread. No I am not geographically confused - perhaps you should define precisely what you mean as Leeds City. Meanwhile, Lord Harewood (I presume) pays council tax to Leeds City Council - in my book that makes his estate, his deer and his pheasants, in Leeds.
I don't mind you having a go at me Molly - in fact I take it as a compliment !
Ah, so you (correctly) say that Harewood is part of Leeds, so why did you not want to include the Horsforth tower crane in the Leeds crane count a few months ago ? (no need to answer, just a rhetorical question)

Anyway, I think the point of this thread is seeing wildlife in the city proper, ie within the bounds of the urban area. Molly's deer is great to hear about, and there are meant to be otters and other water mammals at various points along the city Aire, including a sighting of an otter right in the city centre. Of course there is the usual to be expected sight of numerous squirrels and foxes; always nice to see either to naturify the urban scene.

Last edited by Rob; February 10th, 2006 at 08:09 PM.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Triglad

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Ah, so you (correctly) say that Harewood is part of Leeds, so why did you not want to include the Horsforth tower crane in the Leeds crane count a few months ago ? (no need to answer, just a rhetorical question)

Anyway, I think the point of this thread is seeing wildlife in the city proper, ie within the bounds of the urban area. Molly's deer is great to hear about, and there are meant to be otters and other water mammals at various points along the city Aire, including a sighting of an otter right in the city centre. Of course there is the usual to be expected sight of numerous squirrels and foxes; always nice to see either to naturify the urban scene.
I used to fish in the Aire (city centre) in the 70s and people thought i was mad then, although we did catch roach. I've long given up the fishing, but I did see a jack Pike opposite Asda recently, and they don't live in dirty rivers, so I can understand the move to embrace the river rather than shun it as we did 30 years ago.

On the subject of what is and isn't Leeds I think the powers that be ought to be congaratulated on creating a confusing mess. I was born in the West Riding, which turned into West Yorkshire. West Yorkshire went....or did it? (yes according to the Ordnance Survey) and we were left with a Unitary authority....or is it? Anyway.....it's Friday.
Triglad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #12
BABYCAKES

Hi guys and gals
Great thread this. My former partner was from Leeds and I used to enjoy my visits up there very much. The Meanwood Valley reference in particular brings back such happy memories, the Hollies too.
His parents lived just off Stonegate Road in Meanwood (anyone know it?)..thanks for the pictures, I shall visit again!...
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #13
ahmedd

Likes (Received): 2

Here's one for molly - My first picture Post! Today at Brewery Wharf.

Old February 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #14
di Livio

Likes (Received): 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triglad
On the subject of what is and isn't Leeds I think the powers that be ought to be congaratulated on creating a confusing mess. I was born in the West Riding, which turned into West Yorkshire. West Yorkshire went....or did it? (yes according to the Ordnance Survey) and we were left with a Unitary authority....or is it?
Nice of the government to dissolve the historic boundaries of Yorkshire and, in effect, abolish the county in 1974. Imagine if this had happened in Scotland or Wales.

The unitary authority system has never been embraced in Yorkshire in the same way has over the Pennines (the unpopularity of 'Humberside' and the glorification of Greater Manchester are cases in point).

Last edited by di Livio; February 11th, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #15
Leeds No.1

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but on most maps the seperate metropolitan boroughs appear rather than West Yorkshire- administrative divisions (theres also 'City of York', 'City of Hull' and some others cant remember)
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Triglad

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but on most maps the seperate metropolitan boroughs appear rather than West Yorkshire- administrative divisions (theres also 'City of York', 'City of Hull' and some others cant remember)
As I understood it there were either two tier or single tier admin bodies at the last major reorganisation, ie either County or Unitary Authority. The Ordnance Survey map reflects this. Lincolnshire is a county with districts - I live in West Lindsey. North Lincolnshire is within the old geographical county of Lincolnshire, but it not in Lincolnshire as it is a Unitary Authority
I thought I understood all this, but then I had a look at Wikipedia and found that some people still regarded West Yorkshire as a county. There wasn't a county council, but why should that be a problem! The remaining UAs, or MBs if you like, administer themselves, but there are one or two areas (transport?) which are still done on an old county wide basis. Wow. You need a degree.
Triglad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #17
Leeds No.1

I'd consider West Yorkshire a county... I rarely use the term though, always refer to each district.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #18
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 34

Here's a picture of Otley Chevin Forest Park that I have found. I don't think I could do better than this picture with all the will in the world. I'm just waiting for the right combination of good weather vs days off to get out and about to takes some pictures of my own.

Last edited by SmartCity; February 11th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.
SmartCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #19
Stig282

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
2nd greenest city... (After Vienna)
source??

Old February 13th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #20
Stig282

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedd
Here's one for molly - My first picture Post! Today at Brewery Wharf.

Anybody else seen these on the River Aire up stream of the train station/opposite Whitehall developments?