daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Projects & Construction > Economic & Social Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #201
FKebede

Likes (Received): 1378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner123 View Post
I wonder how some of you interpret this because I'm not sure if the Al Shabaab threat has been eliminated yet. Or perhaps, Al Qaeda in general is fading while IS is becoming more of a threat thus those resources are probably needed in Syria. By the way, as the US leaves Arba Minch, there are also simultaneous reports that Ethiopia is shipping troops, tanks, and helicopters to Kis Mayu.
Obama administration budget cut on military, the US have been closing military bases overseas and implementing cuts throughout the last 5 years, its was all over the internet , Arbaminch is just a tiny military post , located in the tiny Arbaminch civilian airport , where most probably used as a listening and military intelligence post, this base fades in comparison , both in its geostrategic or military importance, to the bases the US have been shutting down in Europe and Asia in recent years..

But i guess to some of our self proclaimed diaspora activists, it is a sign the US took the side of the bigoted opposition and dumped its good relations with the Ethiopian government .

Skyliner123 liked this post
FKebede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #202
Geb98

Likes (Received): 642

America does not do passive aggressive moves such as closing a base without mentioning distaste to the ET govt if there is any being the 'alleged' reason for closure. If you (a govt) is messing around, America will let you know directly and threaten sanctions or even take military action whether via proxy etc, if relations go that poor. If America ditches the ET govt it will take more than unrest in Western Oromia and what we've seen in the past 3 weeks. I mean look at Saudi, all those HR violations and they still cool, I know Crude oil plays a part but the ET govt is the most reliable in the Horn for the US's interests at the moment. This closure is over analysed. Arab spring like moves by the Ethiopian ppl will be what can change relations between the two imo.

s@lomon, Skyliner123 liked this post
Geb98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #203
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 2664

That building on the top right is going to become Ethiopia's new military command center. የኛ ፔንቶጋን

FKebede, yosef, kazanchis, yakshemash liked this post
Skyliner123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #204
Skyliner123

METEC

Gaas oo warshad hubka samaysa booqday

Quote:
ADDIS ABABA- Madaxweynaha Dawladda Puntland Cabdiweli Maxamed Cali Gaas oo ku sugan caasumadda Ethiopia ee Addis Ababa ayaa maanta 19-April-2016 kormeer ku tegey warshadda hubka, Rasaasta, Gawaarida dagaalka iyo kuwa raaxada u samaysa dalkaas oo lagu magacaabo METEC IYO GAFAT.

Kormeerka ayaa Gaas waxaa ku wehelinayey Wasiirka Ganacsiga iyo Warsha dawladda Puntland Cabdiweli Xirsi Cabdulle, wakiilka Puntland ee Ethiopia Mahad Faarax Gaas iyo saraakiil ka tirsan Madaxtooyada dawladda Puntland oo kamid ahaa waftigaas.

Madaxweynaha ayaa soo dhaweyn loogu sameeyay xarunta uu booqday, waxaana goobtaasi ku qaabilay masuuliyiin sarsare oo katirsan maamulka warshadda iyo saraakiil ka socday wasaaradda gaashaan dhigga Ethiopia, isagoo uu kala hadlay sidii Puntland uga faa’iidaysan lahayd wax soo saarka warshaddaasi.

Dhinaca kale guddoomiye ku-xigeenka Baarlamaanka Dawladda Federaalka Ethiopia Dr. Rashiid ayaa qado sharaf soo dhoweyn ah u sameeyey Madaxweynaha Puntland Cabdiweli Maxamed Cali Gaas, iyagoo qadada kadib wada qaatay kulan is xog-waraysi guud ah.

Maaha markii ugu horaysay ee madaxweyne Gaas booqasho kasameeyo magalada Addis ee dalka Ethiopia, safarkii hore ayayna ahayd markii uu booqasho ku tagay warshad ku taalla dalkaasi

GAROWEONLINE

s@lomon liked this post
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #205
yakshemash

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
That building on the top right is going to become Ethiopia's new military command center. የኛ ፔንቶጋን
= quadrilateral
Quote:

yakshemash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:52 PM   #206
cptjosh

Likes (Received): 1162

AM2 liked this post
cptjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #207
AM2

Likes (Received): 980

Ethiopia turns S-75 SAMs into self-propelled systems

Quote:
Jeremy Binnie, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
04 May 2016

The Ethiopian mobile S-75 launcher looks the same as these Cuban ones seen in a 2006 parade. (PA Photos)

Ethiopia is converting some of its S-75 (SA-2 'Guideline') surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) into mobile systems by mounting them on the hulls of T-54/55 tanks.

A photograph of one of the S-75 launchers mounted on a T-54/55 hull was published by the Somali news website Garowe Online on 19 April to accompany a story about the president of Somalia's Puntland region visiting Ethiopia's Gafat Armament Industry, which is part of the military-run Metals and Engineering Corporation (METEC).

Other photographs showed missiles for the S-75 system at the same industrial complex.

Ethiopia has had S-75 systems since the 1970s, some of which are still deployed at three fixed sites around Addis Ababa, its S-125 (SA-3 'Goa') systems deployed closer to the Eritrean border to defend strategic locations.
http://www.janes.com/article/59987/e...pelled-systems

Skyliner123, FKebede liked this post
AM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #208
africaken

Likes (Received): 31

does anyone have the complete documentary

Quote:
Homicho Ammunition Industry Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncHpNNa1mQU
africaken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #209
FutureAddis

Likes (Received): 472

http://www.globalfirepower.com/count...ing-africa.asp

Back to 3rd in Africa. Must be an inaccurate site if the list changes so much each year. Number for towed artillery has changed a lot.
FutureAddis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #210
fabiors

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone have a pic of an Ethiopian soldier with rifle ET 97/1?
fabiors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:11 AM   #211
Skyliner123

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAddis View Post
http://www.globalfirepower.com/count...ing-africa.asp

Back to 3rd in Africa. Must be an inaccurate site if the list changes so much each year. Number for towed artillery has changed a lot.
Last year, they had placed Ethiopia at 5th in Africa behind Nigeria and South Africa.
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #212
FutureAddis

Quote:
Last year, they had placed Ethiopia at 5th in Africa behind Nigeria and South Africa.
Yes. To be honest I don't really know how powerful the army is because of the lack of information. I'm sure the ground forces are good but air force wise it is probably worse than Nigeria.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #213
FKebede

Most of this info is just a guess work, ranking countries military capabilities is not like ranking their economic capabilities. Many people don't understand the fact that Armies and military formations are institutions that require a great deal of organizational capabilities in order for them to function efficiently, without that no matter how much military hardware or man power armies have available to them they will not have success when it comes to the actual thing.

We can take Iran and Saudi Arabia for comparison, the Saudis have spent so much in purchasing modern and sophisticated military hardware from the West, in fact Saudi Arabia has the third largest military budget in the world, even surpassing that of Russia UK and France, but they relay heavily on the technical and organisational support of the US and other western nations to maintain their military, on the other hand Iran has a much lesser military budget , actually it is ranked around 60 in the global measure, but Iran has one of the most efficient military forces in the world, with a capability to take part in conflicts thousands of miles away from its borders in Syria and Iraq, what makes them different from Saudi Arabia is their organizational capability that stem's from its long military history and military tradition , which is the most important element that should come into calculation when measuring a nations military capability.

So coming back to Ethiopia, in terms of quality and quantity of military hardware we may be inferior to Egypt and Algeria, but in terms of military traditions and organisational capabilities we have a much superior track record, which would probably rank us with some of the most highly esteemed military's around the world, I have no doubt.
Old May 12th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #214
Skyliner123

This means we are the most powerful black nation in the world!

FutureAddis, FKebede, cptjosh liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #215
AM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureAddis View Post
I'm sure the ground forces are good but air force wise it is probably worse than Nigeria.
Are you kidding me? Nigeria's army is a disgrace. Their soldiers literally put their weapons down and run away when facing Boko Haram. That has happened many times. I don't know much about Nigeria's air force, but corruption has gutted the capacity of their fighting forces. Ethiopia's air force has always been the pride of the nation, it's one of the best in Africa. Btw I'd like to say that the ranking posted here is amateurish. They're just taking online data to come up with the ranking, I doubt if they've done any serious research on it.

FKebede liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #216
FutureAddis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
Are you kidding me? Nigeria's army is a disgrace. Their soldiers literally put their weapons down and run away when facing Boko Haram. That has happened many times. I don't know much about Nigeria's air force, but corruption has gutted the capacity of their fighting forces. Ethiopia's air force has always been the pride of the nation, it's one of the best in Africa. Btw I'd like to say that the ranking posted here is amateurish. They're just taking online data to come up with the ranking, I doubt if they've done any serious research on it.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying our ground forces are good (and better than Nigeria) but in regards with our air force, I didn't know much.

AM2 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #217
FKebede

Quote:
This means we are the most powerful black nation in the world!
Not just the most powerful black nation, militarily we are one of the most powerful in the world.

Old May 12th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #218
gonTe

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKebede View Post
Not just the most powerful black nation, militarily we are one of the most powerful in the world.
I wouldn't be so sure. A piddling country a 10th of our size checkmated us.
gonTe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #219
FKebede

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonTe View Post
In what way?
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #220
AM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonTe View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about the 98-99 war. There was no checkmate in that war. The Eritreans had their asses whooped. Ethiopia won the war. You must be watching too much EriTV if you think the Eritreans checkmated us.

Skyliner123, FKebede liked this post