daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:46 AM   #1
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

NEW YORK | Madison Park Tower | 900ft | 74 fl | Pro

The following was posted on Sep. 20, 2007 on the following website of an Israeli newspaper: www.globes.co.il.

"Tshuva to build Manhattan’s tallest residential building:
Yitzhak Tshuva’s project will top the 72-story Trump World Tower."

Ariel Rosenberg 20 Sep 07 19:00

Yitzhak Tshuva’s private real estate arm Elad Properties is planning to build Manhattan’s tallest residential skyscraper, which will be one of the tallest buildings in the world. He is apparently taking to heart the words of the Leonard Cohen song, “I’ll Take Manhattan”.
Elad will invest $450 million in the One Madison Avenue building, fronting Madison Square Park and East 23rd Street, adding floors to the 17-story New York City landmark. The result will be a 74-story skyscraper that will by 900 feet (274 meters) tall. The building will top the 72-story 262 meter Trump World Tower. The 283-meter tall 70-storey Trump Building, an office building on Wall Street, will still be higher than Tshuva’s new development however. Only two residential skyscrapers in Australia - the Q1 Tower in Gold Coast, Queensland, and Melbourne’s Eureka Tower - will top One Madison Avenue.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM   #2
SheistbugzzNY

Likes (Received): 0

lookin good
SheistbugzzNY no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:23 AM   #3
philvia

Likes (Received): 13

render ?
philvia no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:41 AM   #4
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Likes (Received): 1

"[...] which will be one of the tallest buildings in the world [...]" (Ariel Rosenberg)

What year does this supposed "journalist" live in? Nothing under 400 m is remarkable anymore as "one of the world's tallest" in this era when projects for five-hundreders, six-hundreders and over are popping around day in day out. A 274-er might rather be called a dwarf nowadays. I'd even label it a mere highrise building rather than a skyscraper.

It seems this guy hasn't yet heard of Burj Dubai, since he mentions Q1 and Eureka towers as "the only two rivals" of this new residential "tallest". So easy to be a "journalist" these days; seems they no longer find it necessary to check even a pair of basic facts about the news they "report". Being sensationalistic about "a new tallest" is more profitable than taking the time and trouble to do one's job properly.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Javier BF no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:52 AM   #5
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier BF View Post
"[...] which will be one of the tallest buildings in the world [...]" (Ariel Rosenberg)

What year does this supposed "journalist" live in? Nothing under 400 m is remarkable anymore as "one of the world's tallest" in this era when projects for five-hundreders, six-hundreders and over are popping around day in day out. A 274-er might rather be called a dwarf nowadays. I'd even label it a mere highrise building rather than a skyscraper.

It seems this guy hasn't yet heard of Burj Dubai, since he mentions Q1 and Eureka towers as "the only two rivals" of this new residential "tallest". So easy to be a "journalist" these days; seems they no longer find it necessary to check even a pair of basic facts about the news they "report". Being sensationalistic about "a new tallest" is more profitable than taking the time and trouble to do one's job properly.
Burj Dubai is a mixed used tower...
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:16 AM   #6
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:

He was suggesting that it will be one of the tallest residential structures in the world, as opposed to office or mixed use.
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:18 AM   #7
Phobos

Likes (Received): 57

I hope they don't build a random tower.
http://europa.eu/
Phobos no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM   #8
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 40

Well I hope so. It'll really stand out from around there.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:57 AM   #9
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Burj Dubai is a mixed used tower...
So? As far as I know, BD will have residential areas in its upper part, which means on over double the number of floors (~150th) and almost thrice as high (~750 m) as the highest residential areas in this new 274-m 74-fl "residential tallest".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoydGeorge View Post
He was suggesting that it will be one of the tallest residential structures in the world, as opposed to office or mixed use.
He phrased it as "one of the tallest buildings in the world", which this one doesn't even come close to, and in any case there are several supertall residential towers under construction or approved in Dubai alone such as Elite Residence (~380 m) and DAMAC Heights (~450 m) which far surpass the ridiculous 274 m of this one.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

^Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Anyways, I never heard of this project. Wonder what it will look like.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:32 AM   #11
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

I'm not a wine-whine merger, so the pun doesn't work for me.

Old September 21st, 2007, 04:38 AM   #12
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 29

Isn't the 76-story Beekman Tower in Lower Manhattan supposed to be around the same height too? Thank you, Frank. It's u/c, but there's no final design yet. And I wonder how tall 50 West Street wil be. Most likely around 800'.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:45 AM   #13
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Isn't the 76-story Beekman Tower in Lower Manhattan supposed to be around the same height too? Thank you, Frank. It's u/c, but there's no final design yet. And I wonder how tall 50 West Street wil be. Most likely around 800'.
76 Beekman is slightly shorter. According to the DOB website, it's 867 feet tall. Apparently though, buildings are often 30-40 feet taller in reality than the DOB site provides for.
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM   #14
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
So? As far as I know, BD will have residential areas in its upper part, which means on over double the number of floors (~150th) and almost thrice as high (~750 m) as the highest residential areas in this new 274-m 74-fl "residential tallest".

He phrased it as "one of the tallest buildings in the world", which this one doesn't even come close to, and in any case there are several supertall residential towers under construction or approved in Dubai alone such as Elite Residence (~380 m) and DAMAC Heights (~450 m) which far surpass the ridiculous 274 m of this one.
You just answered your own question on point one. A residential building (only) and mixed use building are 2 different things. And on your second point the comma before the sentence you originally noted is implying that the journalist meant that this would be one of the tallest residential buildings in the world.
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM   #15
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

This awesome building by de Portzamparc is about to rise a few streets away from One Madison:

Old September 21st, 2007, 07:37 AM   #16
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
You just answered your own question on point one. A residential building (only) and mixed use building are 2 different things. And on your second point the comma before the sentence you originally noted is implying that the journalist meant that this would be one of the tallest residential buildings in the world.
The quote is: "Yitzhak Tshuva’s private real estate arm Elad Properties is planning to build Manhattan’s tallest residential skyscraper, which will be one of the tallest buildings in the world". The comma doesn't turn "one of the tallest buildings in the world" into "one of the tallest residential buildings in the world". The journalist was just looking for a sensational piece of news, and tried to pass this project off as "one of the tallest buildings in the world", using the trick that (he thought) it would be one of the tallest residentials. But neither it is anywhere close to being "one of the tallest buildings in the world", being only one third as tall as Burj Dubai, nor is it even remarkable anymore among the tallest residentials, since real residential supertalls that will dwarf projects like this are already going up in places like Dubai (and probably there are at least a handful other residential supertalls being planned in Chinese cities, but it's hard to follow all the hundreds of skyscraper projects already going on in China to say for sure, especially since China's current lion's share in the skyscraper market is rather underrepresented in this forum).

Old September 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM   #17
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Israeli firm plans Manhattan's highest residence
Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:35am EDT
Email | Print | Digg | Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (-) [-] Text [+]

1 of 1Full SizeFeatured Broker sponsored link
¥ € $ - Learn. Practice. Trade.JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Real estate company Elad Group, owned by Israeli billionaire Yitzhak Tshuva, plans to build New York's tallest residential building in a $450 million deal, an industry source said on Thursday.

Elad, which also owns New York's Plaza Hotel, plans to construct an additional 75 floors on top of an existing 20-story building, said the source, who asked not to be named.

Elad officials were not immediately available for comment.

The Madison Avenue building will stand 274 meters (899 feet) tall.

Building plans are currently being examined by the New York City municipality and are subject to regulatory approval, Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth said.
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:15 PM   #18
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 24

Anyway we are still not sure where this 'new' tower is going to be built on.

What the 'site' looks like right now.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
* In addition to the 61 percent who say they love the Big Apple, another 22 percent say they "like" New York. Fifteen percent have mixed feelings, and only 2 percent describe their feelings toward the city as "dislike" or "hate." - In record numbers, city's residents say they 'love' New York
krull no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM   #19
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by krull View Post
Anyway we are still not sure where this 'new' tower is going to be built on.

What the 'site' looks like right now.

image hosted on flickr
actually, i believe that the 'new' tower will be built ON TOP of the building left from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower. it was to be built during the 1930's to surpass the ESB and become the new wtb. but the great depression forced the developers to only put a fraction of the floors originally planned. so i'm guessing that this building was built with enough plumbing, structural support, electrical wire, elevators, etc to add on alot more floors and be finished with its full potential.
beanhead4529 no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead4529 View Post
actually, i believe that the 'new' tower will be built ON TOP of the building left from the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower. it was to be built during the 1930's to surpass the ESB and become the new wtb. but the great depression forced the developers to only put a fraction of the floors originally planned. so i'm guessing that this building was built with enough plumbing, structural support, electrical wire, elevators, etc to add on alot more floors and be finished with its full potential.
Yes, I recall seeing that building thinking, "hmmmm, that really has potential".

I am thrilled to know that this "potential" will finally be realized.

Let's hope that the design is as beautiful as the recently complete Hearst Magazine Tower (which was also built on top of a pre-exisiting structure).