search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #161
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Thanks NH.

Biglebowski, I recognise your concerns but I just think that not many people posts about retail outside of Newcastle in the other threads, for example Whitley Bay area. As it has been said the MC thread hasn't taken off, however I do think that their is plenty of posts in the future about the MC then re could reconsider having a seperate MC thread.
OK, fair do's i suppose. I'm not getting precious about the thread because i have (or at lease had) a vested interest in it, but it does gall slightly to see such important threads combined when I see entire threads devoted to inactive, dormant, and in some cases, completely non-existent projects. Not so much here, but not too far away.

In the name of democracy - (and forum harmony!) - i'll take NH's lead on this one. I'm not trying to stir things up at all, your efforts are, as always, much appreciated.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:19 AM   #162
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
In the name of democracy - (and forum harmony!) - i'll take NH's lead on this one. I'm not trying to stir things up at all, your efforts are, as always, much appreciated.
And a very noble response that is too, BigLebowski (and no, I'm not intending any sarcam at all)!

I've often commented on the comparisons between electronic and print/broadcast media, and this is an excellent example.
In print and (to a lesser extent) broadcast media, the herarchy of influence tends to flow from the market (the consumer), followed by the publisher, followed by the tensions jostling between the editors. publishers and distributors, followed by the contributors and lastly, of course, the producers (printers, technicians etc).
In electronic media, much of that sequence is reversed. The number of posters overrules editorial policy which overrules consumer demand.
And as a consequnce, we all know where we stand!

[Its great liberating stuff! Though it'll take more than a few internet fora to make me give up on structuralism.
Oh, and by the way, its not often you come across "In the name of democracy" as a basis for a decision these days!]
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #163
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 645

I know what you saying Lebowski, but over here I think we all try to take a more organised route. Myself and NH have tried to tame that forum but both of us have failed, b ut at the end of the day thats is what their users want and we can't take that away from them.

I agree with NH that everyone should have a say, I've said that myself. I did put the subject up for debate and both me and NH will not decide to chang anything without consulting you and everyone else, this was the case with those threads. We didn't really get a response untill after it was done, but like I have said, I'm sure we will all be reviewing the situation and if their is a need to split the threads again I'm sure NH wouldn't have any problem doing so.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #164
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1563

LOCAL WEBSITES LISTING THREAD

Please note - the above mentioned thread has been overhauled and completely updated today, to make it even easier to use.

Please see the LINK below . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=990561
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM   #165
Stamford

Likes (Received): 683

Don't you just hate it when you want to reply to something and you can't remember what thread it was on.

There was a picture posted recently (ish) of Princess Square, next to the Library. It was before the new Pearl building was built and there was a pub (Now Trillians) called "Man on the Moon" and there was an old church in the background, where the new Pearl building now is.

Can anyone remember what thread please.......or was I dreaming?
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:04 PM   #166
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
Don't you just hate it when you want to reply to something and you can't remember what thread it was on.

There was a picture posted recently (ish) of Princess Square, next to the Library. It was before the new Pearl building was built and there was a pub (Now Trillians) called "Man on the Moon" and there was an old church in the background, where the new Pearl building now is.

Can anyone remember what thread please.......or was I dreaming?

PERFECT question Stamford, just PERFECT.

Your problem is a very common one, now that we have SO MUCH information on this forum.

That is exactly why I am currently writing an ALPHABETICAL SUBJECT INDEX. It is partially written now (probably about 60% done) but when it is 100%, you should be able to find "things like this" quite easily . . .

You would just need to . .

(1) Go to the 'sticky' INDEX thread.
(2) Then, go to the letter "P".
(3) Tab down the contents of the letter P . . until you get to subjects beginning "Pr".
(4) Amongst them (if we have ever had a genuine "FACT-GIVING" post about it) will be "Princess Square".
(6) Click on the Link (or Links) below Princess Square, and one of them should be what you are looking for.

You can go and try it now, but I don't think I have "done" Princess Square yet, so there is nothing listed.

BUT, a perfect question to 'highlight' what is currently being written/developed for use on this forum !!!

Cheers!!

PS - I remember writing about the 'Man on the Moon' pub, but I don't know where the post is!! (we NEED that Index completed ASAP!!) I do remember talking about the 'old church' that was there pre-1960s, so have linked that post (and other 'possible' posts) below . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=497
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=858
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=610

But, I don't think they are what you are looking for . . . sorry.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 2nd, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:02 AM   #167
Stamford

I tried that NH, before asking and saw there was no Man on the moon and no Princess square in the index.

I've tried the forum's search facility too, but that doesn't let you sepcify particular boards and so gives results for the whole site.........thousands of results to look through.

It's not a huge problem, but more that I took a comparative view picture today and I was just gonna stick it on there. It can wait and no doubt i'll come across it again soon :-)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM   #168
Stamford

OK, I was going mad. It WASN'T on here where I saw the picture LOL

It was whilst going throught the facebook group (already listed on here)

This is the pic I was thinking of

in this group on FB

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=356770076261
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:48 AM   #169
nadj

Likes (Received): 3

I was looking for a photo of that very spot (although I'd not actually seen one that I can remember)! So, cheers Stamford!

Also, good work on the index NH - I'm mainly here for the local history stuff so this is pretty priceless for me. It kind of gives the forum proper function in terms of research, if that makes sense.
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:10 AM   #170
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadj View Post
I was looking for a photo of that very spot (although I'd not actually seen one that I can remember)! So, cheers Stamford!

Also, good work on the index NH - I'm mainly here for the local history stuff so this is pretty priceless for me. It kind of gives the forum proper function in terms of research, if that makes sense.

Thanks nadj, I hope the Index will become more and more useful, as I get it fully populated (about 60% done so far, I would say).

Stamford - you will (already) now find your post on the Historic thread (about M o t M and Princess Square) is already LINKED from the Index.

It is linked twice (as some things often are, for similar reasons as this one) under the below . . .

(1) Pubs
(2) Princess Square
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #171
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 645

Is it possible to change the thread title on Pandon bank to complete?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #172
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Is it possible to change the thread title on Pandon bank to complete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yes, landscaping works are still to do, and I suspect internal works are still going on, but the external shell looks complete.

Just out of interest (not just for this project, but for general guidance) what are peoples views on this?

When should a Project Thread be marked as "completed"?

I have asked the above question on the Pandon Bank thread.

Thought I would also ask it on here?
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #173
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Just out of interest (not just for this project, but for general guidance) what are peoples views on this?

When should a Project Thread be marked as "completed"?
I would expect that to correspond with the formal hand-over from construction contractor(s) to client.

That may be when units are available for staff training, for tenants' decorators & shopfitters, for agents to sell to buyers for immediate occupation, for client to let units. It doesn't mean that there are no contractors still on-site, for snagging, finishing, landscaping etc which does not prevent the above.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #174
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
I would expect that to correspond with the formal hand-over from construction contractor(s) to client.

That may be when units are available for staff training, for tenants' decorators & shopfitters, for agents to sell to buyers for immediate occupation, for client to let units. It doesn't mean that there are no contractors still on-site, for snagging, finishing, landscaping etc which does not prevent the above.

Yes, Handover date is a good idea. Not sure if we always know (on here) when that actually is, but it is probably the most accurate date.
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #175
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I don't think it aimed at us NH. All of us from what have seen are putting up our own photos rather then someone elses.

It is ME that is aiming it at us Chris!

No matter what we normally do or have done in the past, and many of us (me included) do use a lot of other peoples/sites photos on here . . my aim is to ensure we do it correctly IN THE FUTURE.

So, everyone, please read the message in post 50!!
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #176
Northern Engineer

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Not many have commented on whether we should have . . .

One RETAIL thread, a Newcastle Area Retail one, covering City Centre, suburbs, out-of-town and MetroCentre retail,

OR

Two RETAIL threads (as it is now) covering (1) City Centre and (2) MetroCentre.

The trouble with the latter (as-it-is-now option) is that 'suburbs' and 'out-of-town' retail are NOT specifically covered (by name, anyway) - though they are VERY OFTEN written about on the "City Centre" thread.

EG today, about the new ASDA proposed for the Shields Road area.

SO,

Because of the above (the City Centre thread effectively being a catch-all "Newcastle Area" thread already) and as the separate MetroCentre retail thread isn't used very much, I will do as Chris suggested (for that very reason of it being a catch-all thread already) and merge the two existing retail threads and re-name it as . . . .

Newcastle Area - RETAIL (inc MetroCentre, Suburbs & Retail Parks)

Seems as though Retail one thread is a good idea. Just my opinion but it seems that we hae a few too many threads now. Would be better to consolidate some as mentioned above.
Northern Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #177
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I'm assuming then that you have had a message passed down to you in regards to some of our posts and a lack of credit and links for the pictures.

No, the message is aimed at all forums, and it is up to all moderators to disseminate it as they see fit.

I feel that we should always try to be 'whiter than white' (non-racial comment!!) on our forum.

Far better to avoid problems before they happen, than waiting for them to happen.

Anyway, send me a PM, how are you doin'?
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #178
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

INDEX

The Alphabetical Subject Index is now as 'full and complete' as I can make it.

The links in the Index are designed to take the user to any FACTS about a particular subject (that the user is looking for or doing research about) that have been recorded (on the forum) during our discussions of the nine months of our forum's existence to date.

A fuller explanation/description is made at 'Post One' of the Index itself . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1159925

The Index will (I imagine) become even more 'comprehensive' over time, as more factual content appears on the forum and can be linked to from the Index.

In the meantime, I hope you all find it useful!

Any comments/suggestions, welcomed.

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #179
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

"bump"

Just a note (for those who missed it) about the below.

It takes you to a list of all the 'Project Threads' and can be useful if you just want flick between the threads to check out how our various projects are doing!!

Quote:
OUR PROJECT THREADS - ADDITIONAL FACILITY.

The 43 "Individual Project Threads" (as well as the "Multiple Projects" threads for Ouseburn, Student Accommodation, West End, and Gateshead Town Centre Projects) can now be accessed via the use of the thread TAGS system.

Simply click on the TAG (at the bottom of every page) called . . .

Project - Newcastle Area

You will then see a list (over two pages) of all the Newcastle Metro Area Project Threads.

This facility is IN ADDITION to the access available via Geordie Ahmeds "Development Summary" Thread.

Remember, this facility lists PROJECT THREADS only, not any of our many discussion threads (eg - Retail, Historic, Transport etc).

It does not even include our many Area Developments threads, as (if I understand it correctly) should a new project 'emerge' in any of our Developments threads, a NEW 'Project Thread' would then be set up.

We will have to remember to TAG any/all new Project Threads (Project - Newcastle Area) as and when they are set up, to continue 100% comprehensive usage of this facility, in the future.

Hope this comes in useful!!
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #180
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

REMINDER

Please ALWAYS remember to provide LINKS back to the source of any photos (that are not yours) that you post on here.

The latest position is that some SSC forums are still NOT complying with this.

There is now a chance that we (SSC as a whole) may be banned from uploading photos from all flickr sites.

That means that not only will future uploads onto here be banned, but that all the many that we have uploaded in the past (that form an integral part of many of our posts) will also be banned.

Therefore, they will just disappear from the post/thread.

Please re-read the below, and always follow the correct procedure.

Thanks.

Quote:

An important reminder about the posting of images into threads on Skyscraper City . . .

This note is posted here in order to EMPHASISE the post by Jan, that is currently in the "announcements" section above our forum.

Announcements are not there permanently, and I feel this important message should be retained permanently somewhere on our forum, and this thread is the logical place for it.

The announcement, dated May 12th 2010 from Jan (Administrator) is . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan (Administrator)
This is a strong reminder to all forum users, that ALL posted images which are not owned and hosted by yourself, must be properly credited. A link to the source must be provided and all individual copyrights respected.

Posted images which are not compliant to this are subject to removal.

I repeat - All posters MUST provide credit, links to sources of images, and always respect copyrights.

Thanks to all for your co operation.

For additional clarification, Flickr.com guidelines on image usage (from Flickr) can be found here - http://www.flickr.com/guidelines.gne

FINALLY

If anyone has any questions about Jans post, or requires anything clarified, please ask me (Newcastle Historian) either on this thread or by PM.

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes