daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic » Development News | Includes DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME

Old September 29th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3261
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 11773

LOL @ the Ravens

Joe Flacco:

29 million signing bonus
52 million guaranteed

5 interceptions vs. the Bills

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:05 AM   #3262
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 885

Here's something cool for you guys for the new year. I discovered over the summer that if you stand on the sand dune at Sherkston at night, you can see the airplane warning lights of some of the tallest buildings in Buffalo. Either that, or it's Lackawanna or somewhere. In any case, it's pretty cool.

Last edited by xzmattzx; January 2nd, 2014 at 06:12 AM.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3263
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Did you guys know about the condo project proposed in Crystal Beach? It looks like it's located on Erie Road on the site of a parking lot, in between Beechwood and Eastwood Roads. It's apparently going to be 12 stories high. I haven't gone past the site to see if construction started or anything.

Link

ECoastTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #3264
WIGS
token Canadian

Location: Calgary, AB. formerly Buffalo, NY/Niagara Region, ON
Likes (Received): 47

Buffalo gets great press from the Toronto Star

On December 17, 2013 the Toronto Star published 6 articles on Buffalo!

Let’s raise a glass to Buffalo: A city of great hospitality
Quote:
Donn Esmonde of the The Buffalo News agrees to tour us around. Donn and I have traded a few warm-hearted slaps in print, but you wouldn’t know it. He’s like everyone in Buffalo: so upbeat and outgoing he atomizes all our smug Canadian notions of decency. We’re not particularly nice. We’re cordial. It’s not the same thing. In Buffalo, they’re nice.
(post author's note: It's true, in my travels across North America, Buffalonians are truly genuine, "give you the shirt of their back" salt of the earth type people, moreso than anywhere else I've experienced)
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...spitality.html

Buffalo: What to eat, where to go
Star’s beer columnist knows where to find a real taste of Buffalo
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...re_to_go.html#

Buffalo awaits with open arms
A storied city of genuine spirit and warm hearts burns brightly over the frozen lake, writes veteran newspaper columnist
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...open_arms.html

Buffalo: Behind the caricatures, lies a great city
A skeptic finds himself charmed by reality of a town he’d cartooned in his mind
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...reat_city.html

Buffalo: Myths and misconceptions
The Queen City of the Great Lakes is full of surprises
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...nceptions.html

and finally, Toronto Star's architecture critic and urban affairs columnist Christopher Hume gives Buffalo praise (considering the NY Times' Ada Louise Huxtable gave Buffalo praise in downtrodden 1977, it's about freakin' time!)

Buffalo, architecture: One of the great cities on the continent for landmark buildings
One of the exceptional cities in North America for architecture, Buffalo is home to dramatic buildings that reflect a storied past
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...buildings.html
---------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope this means people from the GTA and all over Southern Ontario will now visit more than just First Niagara Center, the Ralph, Walden Galleria and outlet malls. Time to start flooding downtown, Allentown, Elmwood and North Buffalo
"Buffalo is so interesting, and the whole idea of the Rust Belt cities I think has such a future. You know the focus on Detroit... by the way I mention Detroit, I don't think you can mention Detroit and Buffalo in the same breath. This place is in so much better shape." -Andrés Duany
WIGS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #3265
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

These yellow-front blue-back Sabres jerseys are terrible.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #3266
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
On December 17, 2013 the Toronto Star published 6 articles on Buffalo!

Let’s raise a glass to Buffalo: A city of great hospitality
(post author's note: It's true, in my travels across North America, Buffalonians are truly genuine, "give you the shirt of their back" salt of the earth type people, moreso than anywhere else I've experienced)
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...spitality.html

Buffalo: What to eat, where to go
Star’s beer columnist knows where to find a real taste of Buffalo
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...re_to_go.html#

Buffalo awaits with open arms
A storied city of genuine spirit and warm hearts burns brightly over the frozen lake, writes veteran newspaper columnist
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...open_arms.html

Buffalo: Behind the caricatures, lies a great city
A skeptic finds himself charmed by reality of a town he’d cartooned in his mind
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...reat_city.html

Buffalo: Myths and misconceptions
The Queen City of the Great Lakes is full of surprises
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...nceptions.html

and finally, Toronto Star's architecture critic and urban affairs columnist Christopher Hume gives Buffalo praise (considering the NY Times' Ada Louise Huxtable gave Buffalo praise in downtrodden 1977, it's about freakin' time!)

Buffalo, architecture: One of the great cities on the continent for landmark buildings
One of the exceptional cities in North America for architecture, Buffalo is home to dramatic buildings that reflect a storied past
http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2...buildings.html
---------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope this means people from the GTA and all over Southern Ontario will now visit more than just First Niagara Center, the Ralph, Walden Galleria and outlet malls. Time to start flooding downtown, Allentown, Elmwood and North Buffalo
I know I have been flooding away from the FNC and experienced Elmwood Village, Allentown, the Darwin Martin House and Delaware Park, North Buffalo and Hertel Avenue (for the Sorrento Buffalo Italian Festival in 2012). I'm planning a trip to the Buffalo Zoo possibly in the summer of this year.

WIGS liked this post
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #3267
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
These yellow-front blue-back Sabres jerseys are terrible.
Yeah, they're about as bad as Nashville's. It also cost them tonight's game...
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 03:43 AM   #3268
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Yeah, they're about as bad as Nashville's. It also cost them tonight's game...
I never thought of it like that. You're right, they do look like Nashville's jerseys.

The Sabres should make throwback jerseys that look like the old Bisons hockey jerseys (because there was also a Bisons baseball team, Bisons football team, and Bisons basketball team... ) with the soda cap with the "Buffalo" script. Maybe that can be a Winter Classic jersey when they play in it again.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:16 AM   #3269
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

One thing I like doing once in a while is looking up historic hockey arenas. There aren't many around, and they are less documented, unlike historic baseball stadiums.

One old hockey arena in the area was the Peace Bridge Arena in Fort Erie. It was built in 1928, and was demolished after a 1936 roof collapse. I wanted to know the exact location, and Wikipedia's page links it to the site of the Duty Free Shop. However, I remembered that Google Earth has 1934 aerials, so you can see where it was. Accounting for error in lining up aerials with the current road system, you can see that the arena was at the northwest corner of Douglas Street and Queensbury Road. Some back entrance form Duty Free to a storage garage is now there.
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:23 AM   #3270
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

There's a condo going up in Welland:

Thread
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #3271
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I want to take my grandfather to a museum the next time I'm up in the area. My grandfather is in his 90s and doesn't leave his house much anymore, other than things that are his daily routine. He keeps his mind stimulated through reading, though.

Are there any museums or other activities that could be seen in a couple hours that are cheap or free? Local museums that offer a way to do something different and pass the time are good enough. Do any of the famous places like the art museum or the Theodore Roosevelt site meet this criteria? Are there local history museums that are worth seeing?

My grandfather lives in Tonawanda, so places closer to there would be better. Driving to Lackawanna or Lewiston might drain him too much.
Old March 12th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #3272
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 82

^ There's the carrousel museum in N.Tonawanda.

EDIT: Scratch that. Looks like they're closed January through March...
http://carrouselmuseum.org/site/plan...t/museum-hours

How about the Pierce Arrow automobile museum near downtown?

http://www.pierce-arrow.com/
General Admission $10 Adults; $8 Seniors
Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 11AM-4PM.

Last edited by homestar; March 12th, 2014 at 04:52 AM.
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #3273
fubo

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
I want to take my grandfather to a museum the next time I'm up in the area. My grandfather is in his 90s and doesn't leave his house much anymore, other than things that are his daily routine. He keeps his mind stimulated through reading, though.

Are there any museums or other activities that could be seen in a couple hours that are cheap or free? Local museums that offer a way to do something different and pass the time are good enough. Do any of the famous places like the art museum or the Theodore Roosevelt site meet this criteria? Are there local history museums that are worth seeing?

My grandfather lives in Tonawanda, so places closer to there would be better. Driving to Lackawanna or Lewiston might drain him too much.
We took my 88 year old Father in law to the TR inaugural site last year - HE LOVED IT ! It is very well done, not a lot of walking and only tke a couple of hours. the exhibits were redone a few years ago. It was very reminiscent of the US exhibit at EPCOT only on a smaller scale - but more authentic.
fubo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #3274
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Thanks! Both museums sound good. I haven't been to the Roosevelt site since I was a kid. I'd like to go back myself. The Pierce Arrow museum sounds nice as well.
Old March 20th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #3275
WIGS
token Canadian

Location: Calgary, AB. formerly Buffalo, NY/Niagara Region, ON
Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
There's a condo going up in Welland:

Thread
Welland, Ontario--my hometown!
The condo will be built on the old site of the Welland Club c.1911 (Welland's "elite" club for doctors, lawyers, accountants, business professionals, etc.) which closed in 2007 and was a victim of arson in 2011.

source: niagara falls library

Bill Strong on Flickr

for my old rust belt city this is actually pretty decent looking

source: St. Catharines Standard

Quote:
It will be the tallest building in the city when complete — a title currently held by the 10-storey-tall Jubillee Apartments on King St.

Hamilton-based developer Ray Khanna was pleased with council’s decision allowing him to build the $20-million, 70-unit condominium tower.
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...ondo-tower-okd

for those curious about Welland, flar on skyscraperpage did a good photo tour of "The Rose City" in 2009 http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=163056
"Buffalo is so interesting, and the whole idea of the Rust Belt cities I think has such a future. You know the focus on Detroit... by the way I mention Detroit, I don't think you can mention Detroit and Buffalo in the same breath. This place is in so much better shape." -Andrés Duany
WIGS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #3276
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I'm in Rochester coaching at a meet right now. This is the first time spending any kind of real time here. I was only here another time for an hour to do a photothread.

~ There's some nice neighborhoods here. Some of the names are strange/unique. Neighborhoods named after a person (Susan B. Anthony), a zip code (14621), and some other ones that I wouldn't expect (Josana, El Camino, Northland Lyceum).
~ What's the new building near the east part of the Inner Loop that looks like a big set of wings?
~ Webster reminds me of some of the areas on Transit Road near Lockport. It seems similar to the towns in southern Niagara County, like Wheatfield, Pendleton, etc.
~ I like the views from the high bridges. We have used NY 104 and gone over the gorge and Irondequoit Bay. It's crazy how Irondequoit Bay is frozen over still. Maybe it's crazy because I'm not from here and we are entering spring at this time of year. Incidentally, I've always wondered what Irondequoit Bay looked like, since it seems like an interesting anomaly on paper.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3277
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Here's some more thoughts and questions about Rochester, after my weekend up there:

~ What is going on with the renovation of construction at Broad & Clinton Streets in Downtown? Is it a re-cladding?
~ Rochester seems like Buffalo, in that both cities have a wealth of great buildings. It seemed like every neighborhood had something really nice. For instance, driving on I-490, the back of a Renaissance-style YMCA on Monroe Street is visible. Little places of rich architecture like that are great.
~ It that an actual old canal lock on I-490 near Darwin Street? You can see it here: http://binged.it/1gYGWgc
~ What are locals' thoughts of tearing down the Inner Loop? You already have I-490 to provide access to Downtown. Even if part of it was torn down, and you had two spurs to provide quicker access to northern neighborhoods, it would be an improvement over so much highway. It strikes me as odd that an expressway was built almost directly on top of a waterfall. (Something would have to be done about the railroad tracks too.)
~ On the note of an expressway built almost on top of a waterfall, Rochester's Downtown has to have the most underutilized waterfront in the country. I stayed at the Rochester Plaza Hotel (a dump that should be imploded, by the way), and the park behind it is terrible. The concrete is breaking up, the pink pastel colors look hideous in a bleak extended winter, and the park doesn't connect to anything. Rochester could have a wonderful collection of waterfront parks connected by trails or walkways that go from High Falls to I-490 and beyond.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:36 AM   #3278
ScanTron
ScanTron

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:

It's crazy how Irondequoit Bay is frozen over still. Maybe it's crazy because I'm not from here and we are entering spring at this time of year. Incidentally, I've always wondered what Irondequoit Bay looked like, since it seems like an interesting anomaly on paper.
You should see lake Erie. It's still been frozen what looks like shore to shore, south of the city at least. In April. It should start thawing pretty rapidly I'd think, but this has to be a record.

I'd like to get to Roch to do a tour sometime. I really know nothing about the place.
ScanTron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #3279
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Crazy.

Now that I've spent a decent amount of time in Rochester, it will be easy to go back and explore more. With me, I need a few days in a place to really get my foot in the door and start to understand a place, and absorb the way of life there.
Old April 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #3280
fubo

Likes (Received): 55

Science Museum writeup in Toronto Star Sunday paper

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/...ely_bunch.html
fubo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote