daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Auckland

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #1
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 3405

BEAUMONT QUARTER QUEST HOTEL | Complete

Hotel plan upsets neighbours

A five-level Auckland Quest hotel, planned for 80 Beaumont St near the Northern Motorway and Victoria Park, has raised the ire of neighbours. Nigel McKenna of Melview Developments had previously planned an office building on the 430sq m site which he later sold vacant. Auckland Council notified the public of the application for the five-level building with 34 hotel rooms, a 54sq m cafe, two onsite car parks and a further 10 carparks leased from a nearby site. Beaumont Trading Co, owned by Safari Management, is the applicant and people have until early next month to say what they think.

Tony Brown, who lives in the Beaumont Quarter, said the empty site beside the Victory Church was extremely small. The new building would be much taller than the surroundings buildings "and uglier", Brown said. "Everything about it is just wrong." Beaumont Quarter is three levels with a basement level, he said. "While the immediate residents will clearly make a submission to try to reduce the effects on the surrounding residential developments, there is a bigger picture at issue in relation to an unsuitable development in the wrong place that the planning process seems incapable of addressing."

Safari Group (NZ) has advertised for investors to buy Quest apartments, then lease them back. Robert Neil of Safari said deposits had been paid on 11 rooms for $180,000 to $236,000. Construction would start in October and be finished next year. The council said the building needed resource consent in the business mixed use zone because of a shortage of parking and loading space. Overall, the proposal requires resource consent for a discretionary activity.

Sponsored Links

Old September 4th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #2
buildemhigh
Retired

Likes (Received): 11

Quest Beaumont Quarter

Hope this gets the green light....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/n...ectid=10831498
buildemhigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Brojoro
brojoro

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildemhigh View Post
Yes looks good, a very peciuliar argument that safety of locals could be compromised by this boutique hotel, I could'nt quite believe what I was reading!

Isn't safety an issue absoultely everywhere?
Brojoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #4
buildemhigh
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brojoro View Post
Yes looks good, a very peciuliar argument that safety of locals could be compromised by this boutique hotel, I could'nt quite believe what I was reading!

Isn't safety an issue absoultely everywhere?
I can understand to an extent, but i think its more about the fact that they dont want it fullstop... id have thought a managed property that is operational 24hrs affords more security by virtue of the nature of the business itself...
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Mr_kiwi_fruit

Likes (Received): 478

One of the huge problems is a traffic issue - with people arriving at all hours, and potentially blocking one of only two entrances. Initially the building was going to be an office - and a lot of people bought at the Quarter under that impression. A 8-5 office poses no issues compared to a 24 hotel.
Mr_kiwi_fruit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #6
dogmeat

Likes (Received): 1

I just think its nimbyism and shite journalism. They say Historic Places have objections and then quote a resident as if she has some expertise instead of "I'm a whinging baitch"

They talk about scale. It's 3 stories FFS.It's not going to tower over anything. There's an office park at the top of the cliff behind the residential properties that already give the area some height.

Nothing short of a duplicate reproduction will look "right" alongside the Gas co bldg but doesn't mean iot won't work. The contrast in styles can be invigorating.

As for the other concerns - it's 34 rooms. Muppets!
dogmeat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #7
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

I am quite embarrassed to be a resident of Beaumont Quarter after reading that article
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #8
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Officials check out tourist hotel site

Planning commissioners yesterday visited a central Auckland site where a developer wants to build a hotel over an access way. Panel chairman David Kirkpatrick said the panel wanted to see the site after hearing evidence about the project's bid for resource consent, including the concerns of the Beaumont Quarter Residents' Society. Members live in 258 apartment units next to the vacant site proposed for a Quest tourist hotel, by the heritage Auckland Gas building and across the road from Victoria Park's skateboard facility. Mr Kirkpatrick said he and commissioners Faye Storer and David Mead had driven along Fisher Point Drive to the apartment enclave. The developer plans to move the drive northwards by 5m and build four floors of hotel above. The 6m wide drive bisects the 400sq m site and the developer said building over it would make the most use of the site and align the road with the certificate of title from the original subdivision. Lawyer for the residents' society, Jeremy Brabant, said the effect of construction activity on Fisher Point Drive and the access it gave to the basement parking of one apartment block was of concern.

This needed to be appropriately addressed through conditions of consent, if resource consent was granted. But the society cannot get developer Beaumont Trading to agree to provide alternative parking nearby when the right of way is blocked by construction. The developer is not ruling out an alternative. Planning consultant Gary Deeney said during construction there would be times during a 10- to 12-week period when access to one apartment block's carparking was not available. However, finding alternative parking for residents was a matter for negotiation rather than a condition of the resource consent. Mr Brabant said the condition was reasonable and related directly to the impact of the proposed works. Residents wanted sufficient notice of closure of Fisher Point Drive access and certainty that they could go about their business with as little disruption as possible. The hearing was adjourned because the commissioners wanted to get updated information during the week.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #9
buildemhigh
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_kiwi_fruit View Post

One of the huge problems is a traffic issue - with people arriving at all hours, and potentially blocking one of only two entrances. Initially the building was going to be an office - and a lot of people bought at the Quarter under that impression. A 8-5 office poses no issues compared to a 24 hotel.
I would beg to disagree.. the traffic movements of a property of this size would be minimal after hours.. and you would find a considerable portion of guests arrive not by private car.. the District Plan doesnt require car parking for Hotels in the CBD, there is good reason for that as it isnt typically required.

I do have some sympathy with the residents (which I appreciate you are one) however it really is in keeping with the area both as a use, and frankly as a design..
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #10
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

A positive aspect of it is the fact that I will now have a cafe on my doorstep, Mr KF will no longer have to tolerate my bad coffee and he can indulge on flat whites
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #11
buildemhigh
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDNEY View Post
A positive aspect of it is the fact that I will now have a cafe on my doorstep, Mr KF will no longer have to tolerate my bad coffee and he can indulge on flat whites
need to get a nespresso... impossible to stuff up
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #12
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildemhigh View Post
need to get a nespresso... impossible to stuff up
GR8 idea, Christmas is coming Thanks for the tip.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #13
AK-Sam
If only....

Likes (Received): 4

If you have any love for coffee whatsoever, please do not get a nespresso!
AK-Sam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Damient09

Likes (Received): 0

Hi all, it's good to hear some support for this exciting project. A lot of hoops had to be jumped through but resource consent was granted yesterday.

We are excited about bringing this development to Beaumont quarter
Damient09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #15
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damient09 View Post
Hi all, it's good to hear some support for this exciting project. A lot of hoops had to be jumped through but resource consent was granted yesterday.

We are excited about bringing this development to Beaumont quarter
Just as long as it doesn't interfere with our parking and roads then I am a happy chappy ... do you have any unseen renders that you can share with us ?
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #16
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Beaumont Quarter hotel gets consent

Commissioners have granted consent for a 5-storey hotel to be built at the entrance to the Beaumont Quarter, across Beaumont St from Victoria Park. The proposal by Beaumont Trading Co Ltd (Robert Neil) is for a 34-unit unlicensed Quest hotel with a 54mē ground-floor café and a total gross floor area of 1537mē on its 5 floors. Rooms would be 30-50mē in a mix of studios & one-bedroom units, and the building would act as a portal to the internal residential quarter, being constructed over the entrance to Fisher Point Drive. The application went to a hearing before commissioners David Kirkpatrick (chairman), David Mead & local board member Faye Storer on 3-4 September and the decision, released last week, was dated 5 October. The hearing panel noted that the site was a residual one left over after residential development in the Beaumont Quarter was completed in 2005. The whole development is in the mixed-use zone and a 4-storey office building had earlier been planned for this streetfront site. The panel said development of a tourist complex was generally appropriate in the mixed used zone: “In particular, we find no sound resource management reason why a tourist complex would be incompatible with the neighbouring residential development in the Beaumont Quarter, or other activities in the vicinity of the site.” The lift tower will go 150mm over the zone’s 15m height limit, but the panel said this was a minimal breach. The basic floor:area ratio is 2:1, but the building will contain 1537mē on the 423mē site, a ratio of 3.56:1. The commissioners saw no problem with that ... MORE
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #17
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

This design differs from the one posted above - which one is being built ?

Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:48 AM   #18
drosophila

Likes (Received): 19

From TradeMe

Quote:
Investment Apartments in fully managed 4 Star Boutique Hotel in Beaumont Street, Freemans Bay opposite Victoria Park. Each Apartment has a 30 year commercial lease with a 7.3% guaranteed gross return. The hotel group has a proven track record throughout Australasia. 34 Apartments in total - 10 sold already.
Construction to commence soon. Only 21 apartments left - SECURE YOURS TODAY. From $195,000 each.

Call us NOW for a full info-pak

Jeff Carr 021 273 8514 or Ian King 021 923 215

Last edited by drosophila; November 2nd, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
drosophila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #19
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Thanks Dros, I see that they have started to clear the site already and chopped up my beloved holly trees I wanted those for my patio !!!!!!!!! The concrete side wall is awful and should have incorporated windows (or a green wall) - bad design and this should have been brought up by the city council prior to approval. As for the developer - thanks for not thinking of the residents in the area Let's hope that some graffiti artist from the skatepark helps fix that and covers it with some colour

Old November 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #20
viinniie

Likes (Received): 9

should see if Askew can sort out that wall for you
viinniie no está en línea   Reply With Quote