daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:51 PM   #41
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Let's open a thread for this... "home helper" is VERY Hong Kong, I don't see it anywhere else, here in the state you need to be exthemely rich to get a full time stay-in home helper (most ppl will hire "home helper" by hour, they come to clean your place and leave, they dont' stay.) but in Hong Kong most of the upper middle class have one (some have two or more!) ... but Hong Kong have some of the smallest building in the world, do they really "need" a full time stay-in home helper...

(I hate to call them maid, because they are not since they don't bring you coffee and they don't rub your dirty feets )
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #42
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

If I remember correctly, domestic helpers get pay around $3000 a month. That's not enough to survive on a daily basis.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM   #43
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
If I remember correctly, domestic helpers get pay around $3000 a month. That's not enough to survive on a daily basis.
I am not saying $3000+ is a lot; but the employer provides housing and food. So if you add those expenditure on top of the cash, it is better than a lot of local helpers and workers.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #44
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
I think Hong Kong's next issue after democratic elections and developing a more sustainable economy is social justice. Racism and human mistreatment are a big problem in HK's society.
Campagin on racism and discrimination are going on at the same time as political and economic reformation. It's a less talked and focused topic, but it's ongoinging.

Being 95% of the population are Hong Kong Chinese, the population does need a lot of education to understand the other cultures and accept the foreigners as part of HK's population.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM   #45
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas View Post
Let's open a thread for this... "home helper" is VERY Hong Kong, I don't see it anywhere else, here in the state you need to be exthemely rich to get a full time stay-in home helper (most ppl will hire "home helper" by hour, they come to clean your place and leave, they dont' stay.) but in Hong Kong most of the upper middle class have one (some have two or more!) ... but Hong Kong have some of the smallest building in the world, do they really "need" a full time stay-in home helper...
Although HK's flats has some of the smallest flats in the world, but the helpers are more than just cleaning the flats and cook. A lot of the families hire these helpers to babysit, too; as HK do also have some of the most workaholic people in the world. Both parents have very long work hours and no time to take care of their children, the job turns to the helpers' hand.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #46
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
I am not saying $3000+ is a lot; but the employer provides housing and food. So if you add those expenditure on top of the cash, it is better than a lot of local helpers and workers.
but if it is me...I want $7000 so I can live in a room, not a closet. And go eat whatever I want...not employer's funky Chinese leftover
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #47
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Although HK's flats has some of the smallest flats in the world, but the helpers are more than just cleaning the flats and cook. A lot of the families hire these helpers to babysit, too; as HK do also have some of the most workaholic people in the world. Both parents have very long work hours and no time to take care of their children, the job turns to the helpers' hand.
Yes! teaching baby bad English too...that's why my English is so bad right now, thanks to my old "home helper"
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #48
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Domestic helpers are not forced to come to Hong Kong to work for local families. They can always choose to work in another country. The wages are market-driven. If they're worth $3000 a month, then that's what people will pay. After all, it's low-skilled labour. Washing dishes and ironing clothes doesn't take that much brain power, and will not be worth a fortune anyway.

Besides, Hong Kongers live in very small apartments. 1000 square feet is a luxury. Most only have about 600 square feet. Keep in mind that is gross. The net usable area is at best 80% in the newer apartments these days, and a bedroom is only about 50 square feet. So getting 30 square feet for boarding isn't so bad after all.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #49
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

I hate how some employers threaten the naive workers by suggesting physical harm if they report abuse to the police.

Disgusting; a shame to HK, the Chinese people and the 21st-century human race.

Ok, I've cooled down. BTW, we're off-topic here...should we create a new thread? =P
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #50
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

The LV in Causeway Bay (as in the photo above) is the one in Lee Gardens, right? Or is there another one?
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #51
oddstyle

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Times has changed my friend

my friend wear pink shirt............

lets get along people, cause the
aliens are comin'.....c",)............ CEBU is my TOWN!!!!!
oddstyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #52
shctaw
余博士

The LV store in HK is very well decorated. I always walk pass it when I go for dinner in Hard Rock Cafe.

Why buy something that is as good as gold when you can just buy gold? - shctaw

Gold and silver cure sleeping disorder. - shctaw
shctaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote