daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Hong Kong (香港) & Macau (澳門) Forums > Life in Hong Kong

Old August 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #21
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Hey, we all know that Hong Kong is a Special Admin Region right? But i was wondering whether or not someone would know when this region expires, i.e, return to full PRC control of Hong Kong? Or is this SAR permanent? Thanks
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #22
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
Hey, we all know that Hong Kong is a Special Admin Region right? But i was wondering whether or not someone would know when this region expires, i.e, return to full PRC control of Hong Kong? Or is this SAR permanent? Thanks
In theory, there will be no change until 2047, i.e. 50 years after handover. As for whether it would change after 2047, we won't know...
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #23
Kisumu Ndogo
美国: Rep KE

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD18 View Post
you can come to work as an english teacher ...
Could I know how big is the need for English teachers in Honkong?
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #24
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisumu Ndogo View Post
Could I know how big is the need for English teachers in Honkong?
Quite a lot of demand, especially at international schools.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #25
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Hi. So, after a while in Singapore I'm looking into a new place to call home. Basically, I'm thinking of joining some higher education institution in HK and later applying CX cadet program - that means, staying there for a looong time. What I hope to find is a natural, lively city that respects one's freedoms and is simply interesting to be in.

However, I'm fairly concerned about the 'latent', less glamorous sides that a visitor doesn't stay long enough to notice. Like here in Singapore, we've got problems that tourists hardly ever realize.

So I've got a few questions:

1) life-work balance - I understand it's not easy in HK, but is it possible to expect some decent time off every week? If I try to pay off a simple (perhaps shared) apartment, how hard can I expect it to be?

2) air quality - I've heard horror stories but then, during my 2 visits (summer time though), there was nothing special about pollution. In practice, how bad and persistent bad smog times are? How much does it bother people?

3) Social problems - I know HK is very polarized in terms of wealth, so are there any significant tensions arising? For instance, against immigrants? I'm asking since Singapore's immigration policy led to general dislike of foreigners, as a blonde 'ang mo', I don't really feel that welcomed anymore.. Is there anything alike going on in HK?

4) Personal freedoms - any significant discrimination against anyone? How's the censorship? Are the authorities actually opened to public's feedback?

5) Anything that p*sses you off and you'd like to share?

Sorry if the questions sound naive to you locals there, but I'd love to know how the real HK is. Of course every place has pros and cons, but I just want to know if for everyday life, your city is as great as it seemed during my visits. Thanks everyone..
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #26
Landcruiser

Likes (Received): 185

i know, house and apartments are so expensive in Hk, cause the space is limited..
question..
how much is the average price of a flat of 100m2, let say in kowloon area, nothing fancy. but neither ghetto areas...
Landcruiser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Brummyboy92
Birmingham = #1

Likes (Received): 1319

Hey Hong Kongers, I'm fascinated with your culture and surrounding countries and would like to maybe look into relocating to Hong Kong for a few years, for the experience. I was looking into Tokyo however not being able to speak the local dialect may prove difficult to find work. Hong Kong however is probably more suitable for a brit. So some questions.

1. How are British perceived in Hong Kong? And is there a specific section of the city where I will find more brits living?

2. I'm not qualified so would it be easy enough to get a decent job and able to maintain a decent lifestyle?

3. Is there supermarkets for instance that sell a large amount of western/British products?

4. I only speak English is that ok?

5. As a gay man how will I find life in Hong Kong?

To help use out a little I'm quite interested in Property, Retail and Youth work. I just feel China is such an amazing place, and its growing so quickly, I just want to be a part of it whilst all these amazing things are happening. I'm young and don't want to wait until I'm older to relocate, I want to just take the plunge now. Any help would be fantastic guys, Thanks.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #28
hkskyline
Hong Kong

1. How are British perceived in Hong Kong? And is there a specific section of the city where I will find more brits living?

No animosities to expats, who tend to congregate around Midlevels and the southern district.

2. I'm not qualified so would it be easy enough to get a decent job and able to maintain a decent lifestyle?

Very difficult for a non-local speaker to find a well-paying job outside the professional circles (eg. lawyer, accountant, banker). Hong Kong is a very finance-driven city. For social work, Cantonese knowledge is a must as you will be working with local disadvantaged youth who are not likely to be bilingual.

3. Is there supermarkets for instance that sell a large amount of western/British products?

Yes, go for the higher-end chains such as International, Marketplace, Citysuper, etc.

4. I only speak English is that ok?

No problems.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #29
Sorvete na Testa
Bracho. Paola Bracho!

Likes (Received): 7015

How is the job market for engineers in Hong Kong?
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorvete na Testa View Post
How is the job market for engineers in Hong Kong?
What kind of engineer? There are lots of large infrastructure projects happening in the city.

Old June 9th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #31
Sorvete na Testa
Bracho. Paola Bracho!

Likes (Received): 7015

Industrial engineering, that is.
Old June 9th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #32
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorvete na Testa View Post
Industrial engineering, that is.
A bit hard. We don't have much heavy industry. Hong Kong's economy is mostly services-based.

Sorvete na Testa liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:17 AM   #33
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

I'm not relocating but I will taking a short trip to Hong Kong for Christmas. I just have one question does anyone know where I can buy used blu ray moviesin Kowloon? I want legit movies I do not want bootlegs. Thanks for any help.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote