daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #941
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
You know what;

I think I will be writing a nice little letter to the creator of this website in reguards to steady threats being made towards me because of some individuals dislike of my free-spirit liberal opinions.

There are quite a few things that some of you people have stated that I did not agree to but none of you can ever saay that I have made Personal Threats to the people that I did not agree with.

One thing I do not stand by is having a comunist "Do As I say or get slaughtered" enviroment. The last I checked, this message board is for people to express their different opinions and not to be dictated.

Now that nice little letter I may be writting to the creaters is the first step and that does not have to stop there.

So keep on making threats towards me because from this point I will be docing everything that I find is a personal threat towards me.

Have a Nice Day.

BTW- If some of you disagree with some of my comments you can scroll past my post, use the ignore feature, or your welcome to criticise my comments; I'm not going to go and request to have you banned because you don't agree to some of my comments, that takes away the purpose of having a messageboard and I am always open to constructive criticism as long as it isn't resorting to making personnal threats towards me.
You just don't get it..it's not the fact that you disagree..that's fine. It's the nasty tone that we don't like.
micrip no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #942
Baltimoreguy

Likes (Received): 0

Arguments

Why can't we all just get along and be respectful of others. This is not a site to be used for slamming or derogatory comments. This is forum for skyscraper and development. It should not be used to air rants about other issues. There are other sites for that. Let just keep to the topics in the forums which is development and buildings etc. I welcome anyones opinions as long as it relates to the forums, if it doesn't find somewhere else to air those rants.
Baltimoreguy no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #943
Brian21

^I agree
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #944
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

Four Seasons and Legg Mason

I think that the original Four Seasons configuration, prior to Legg, had more grace to it. The current site is a bit more intense. The building looks more like Miami condos. I am referinng to the panning shots seen on CSI Miami. But I'll take it. Keeping Legg in Baltimore is more worth it. I look at this as an expansion of the CBD rather than running away form it. Those who fought for keeping Legg in Baltimore City and putting this deal together deserve a real standing "O".

BTW are those balconies on the Four Seasons?
Gsol no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #945
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Likes (Received): 7

Good pickup Gsol, I didnt even notice those. AT first glance it looks like its just part of the building design. It is almost camoflouaged by the hat of the buildling. It does appear to be a bunch of balconies on the water facing sides of the tower. I think they are balconies because they stick out far enough to not be designs, and the Legg Mason building has none eventhough it also has a hat. So it is clearly not building design. What do you all think of the balconies?

Now if only we could find out what the platform on 701 will be used for.
Baltimoreborn1 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #946
wada_guy
Oh say can YOU see?

The "hats" that everyone is referring to, are nothing more than stylized cornices. Cornices have been a part of buildings since ancient times and are a significant component of classical architecture going back to the Greek and Roman times. If there were a few brackets, and some dental or egg and dart molding between them, they would look just like every other building in the city with a cornice. This is just a post-modern interpretation of that element of architecture.
wada_guy no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #947
Naterpotater

Balconies on Legg

I am not sure, but looking at the different renderings of Legg Mason's new building, I think near the very top on the side that faces the water, there are two floors where the glass is set back and they may be balconies. There is an identical set-back area of glass on the 4 Seasons building as well (I could be completely wrong, but just thought I would throw it out there).
Naterpotater no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #948
Gsol

Likes (Received): 311

I am not enthralled with the balconies. Its the Miami beaching of the Inner Harbor. They are probably for the condos. I think liability prevents them from high rise hotels. You can't even open a window in a hotel, so I doubt if you can walk out on a balcony in a high rise. However, according to want we read, the Four Season only plans 26 condos. So Perhaps there will be further changes. As Baltimoreborn notes the balconies only appear on the water facing side of the building. Maybe they are just decoration to keep the harbor facing architecture symetrical. Some units are condos with usable balconies, hotel rooms with non-usable ones.
Gsol no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #949
LilMoeJoeJoe

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada_guy View Post
The "hats" that everyone is referring to, are nothing more than stylized cornices. Cornices have been a part of buildings since ancient times and are a significant component of classical architecture going back to the Greek and Roman times. If there were a few brackets, and some dental or egg and dart molding between them, they would look just like every other building in the city with a cornice. This is just a post-modern interpretation of that element of architecture.
That's fine Wada I just think it's been overdone here in Baltimore. The Legg Mason/Four Seasons is a great design and hopefully the BDC will back off on the Cornices for a while.
LilMoeJoeJoe no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #950
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem87 View Post
You know what;

I think I will be writing a nice little letter to the creator of this website in reguards to steady threats being made towards me because of some individuals dislike of my free-spirit liberal opinions.

There are quite a few things that some of you people have stated that I did not agree to but none of you can ever saay that I have made Personal Threats to the people that I did not agree with.

One thing I do not stand by is having a comunist "Do As I say or get slaughtered" enviroment. The last I checked, this message board is for people to express their different opinions and not to be dictated.

Now that nice little letter I may be writting to the creaters is the first step and that does not have to stop there.

So keep on making threats towards me because from this point I will be docing everything that I find is a personal threat towards me.

Have a Nice Day.
threats??? letter to the creator??? someone in this forum PLEASE help this guy/girl get a life.

at first, i was going to simply ignore harlem's comments (and i still am). but now this is getting to be ridiculous. you need a life sir/madam. everyone, PLEASE stop responding to harlem. it's not worth it.

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; February 15th, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #951
getontrac

I don't think the BDC is the cause of the hats (as much as we'd like to believe they conspire to do everything else!)

The Urban Design & Architectural Review Panel out of the planning office is probably more responsible for the trend through random circumstance than anything else. Though I think that office had a slightly different name in the past and has more power and rules now. (But I think one or 2 BDC members maybe on it!)

Nate

Edit: No just one, M.J. Brodie and he's ex-officio apparently.

Last edited by getontrac; February 15th, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
getontrac no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #952
House3780

Likes (Received): 5

Please for the love of God would everyone STOP replying to harlem and STOP replying to replies about harlem and STOP replying to replies to replies to replies infinitum. Dont even reply to this one!!!!! He does have the freedom of speech. Even if its not productive, even if its inflammatory.. Even though his language can be foul hes never really attacked anyone personally... at least not enough to make a big deal out of it.. We cant attack his style, cause if we do, whats next, ban people who use bad grammar?? If you disagree with him on something fine, let him know. if it goes no where and u feel like it is worth ur time to go back and forward with him fine.. otherwise just let it be. wed only be at about 750 posts, maybe less if we'd stop talking about harlem. and Like i say, dont even reply to this!!
House3780 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #953
Xander21
B-More Believer

Likes (Received): 10

agreed just make like he's not even here...
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #954
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Who can photoshop the new buildings onto this background? And perhaps indicate where the BCCC campus is, because I think it is somewher off to the right, and if a Tall was erected there it would fill our skyline with Skyscrapers buildings from this angle. Wow, i dont know how to edit, so the photo is in the post below.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #955
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Old February 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #956
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

r.i.p. walter soundheim. one of the best of the city's sons.

cheers
quabex no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #957
Baltimoreborn1
Born & Raised

Sorry these pics are so big, but does anybody know If Parcel B is being constructed with the Vue? I just found this model and it looks like a nice building.
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #958
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
I am not enthralled with the balconies. Its the Miami beaching of the Inner Harbor. They are probably for the condos. I think liability prevents them from high rise hotels. You can't even open a window in a hotel, so I doubt if you can walk out on a balcony in a high rise. However, according to want we read, the Four Season only plans 26 condos. So Perhaps there will be further changes. As Baltimoreborn notes the balconies only appear on the water facing side of the building. Maybe they are just decoration to keep the harbor facing architecture symetrical. Some units are condos with usable balconies, hotel rooms with non-usable ones.
I really like this design. But I have several questions:

1. This lot really isin't that big, those are going to be some narrow buildings.

2. Only 26 condo's? Was this all they were orginally proposing for both buildings? Unless there were really big that seems like a very small amount, almost to the point of why bother. Maybe there will be more.

3. A 1200 car garage is quite a large garage, how many floors down will they have to go for that. It looks like the first two floors are retail but maybe some parking there too?

4. I agree with wada_Guy these are just post-modern cornices, I wouldn't want to see a 'hat' like is on top of the T. Rowe Price building.

5. Speaking of the T. Rowe Price building, in the WJZ link StevenW provided there file photo is from before the T. Rowe building is built , who think that they would of had a newer photo in 15 years.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #959
waj0527

Likes (Received): 499

To questions #1:

I thought the city is closing that street that wraps around the current surface lot where the Four Seasons is being developed. That was why Victor's closed, right? They're building out to the water.

To question #2: IIRC, the entire 18 story building was supposed to be residences. The 26 units is probably a response to the softening condo market.
waj0527 no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #960
Eerik

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by quabex View Post
r.i.p. walter soundheim. one of the best of the city's sons.

cheers
Ditto here...

Even after his "official" retirement, he still kept working and giving back to the Baltimore community. Several generations of business leaders, mayors and governors, among others, have called on him for help. He never said no.

For a brief time when he was called back to lead as interim president at CCIH (the processor to BDC). It was then and there, on numerous occasions, he was even kind enough to offer me personal guidance.

The city, region and state have lost an incredibly important person. He was able to find consensus and agreement between opposing sides when no one else could, or believed possible. We were lucky to have him -- his wisdom and wit -- for as long as we did.

Next time any of you are downtown, walking or driving past Sondheim Plaza, which is at the base of the World Trade Center, take a moment and reflect on all you see around you. Our city would be vastly different if it had not been for this man...
Eerik no está en línea  

Closed Thread