daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #21
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Rather than starting a new thread, I decided to post this here.

I've been looking at old Kai Tak landings on youtube, and I was wondering where they were shot.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can access the checkerboard hill, and also, if anyone has a clue where this was shot:

Thanks!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #22
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
Yeah, safety is only a major concern when people are overconfident and go out to those places on their own.
I'll probably go with my brother, and a couple family friends who live in Hong Kong, but I might want to go alone, I sure wont be going alone during the night, though, and probably not out to the hiking trails. Are there any developed hills where there might be a good vantage point? (I know there's a hill where a family friend of mine lives in Kowloon Tong, I think it's called Beacon Hill?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
There is GPS mapping software available to purchase. MapKing is one of the product in the market for sale. More information: http://www.mapking.com/shopping/en/
Too bad I don't have a GPS device, I'm planning on buying a new Hong Kong Guide that's published by the government, I think it costs about HK$100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingOrange View Post
Wow, fantastic picture! Is that trunk road Waterloo Road ? the one that's on the leftside, and runs diagonal down, from what looks like TST. I can see my old home, plus many of my friends' and family's homes from here!

Anyway, thanks for all your help! I might be heading to HK as soon as this winter... if not then next summer at the latest... (can't wait that long! )

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008

Last edited by gladisimo; May 7th, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #23
yrboarder

Likes (Received): 0

My guess is it's taken from vantage point along ching cheung/ lung cheung road and the checkerboard hill is around kowloon tsai
yrboarder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #24
Car L

Likes (Received): 678

The checkerboard area...barricaded

View from the radar hill...more than a few highrises in Kowloon City/To Kwa Wan nowadays!

My flickr

Last edited by Car L; May 7th, 2007 at 06:36 PM.
Car L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #25
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

^ Fresh views!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #26
bleedingOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
I'll probably go with my brother, and a couple family friends who live in Hong Kong, but I might want to go alone, I sure wont be going alone during the night, though, and probably not out to the hiking trails. Are there any developed hills where there might be a good vantage point? (I know there's a hill where a family friend of mine lives in Kowloon Tong, I think it's called Beacon Hill?)
I know the place you mean on Beacon Hill, there's a small park on the road the side of the road. The views are quite good, but if you walk down the road about 50 meters there's a pedestrian crossing over the road that gives a better view, and if you climb on top of this crossing you get the best view, just make sure no one is watching!

bleedingOrange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #27
trueapprentice
HK

IMO, Ngong Ping had quite spectacular views on a grand scale, the height & size can be quite humbling
trueapprentice no está en línea   Reply With Quote