daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > New South Wales

Old August 18th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #6061
sanguubashi

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by upwards View Post

You are right.
Nice idea but rarely used much and becomes a real mess.

From what i have seen i agree - " the landscaping never lives up to expectations and they end up being windswept, desolate places use by only a small number of residents. I think I saw some photos of a Divercity courtyard and it looked nothing like the renders."

The same with most open rooftop pools and as for home movie theaters on roofs
In Tokyo they seem to be going the way of "sky lobbies" a common area room with views etc; that can be booked. Some have pools and gyms enclosed on the upper level.
sanguubashi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 18th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #6062
zetcity

Likes (Received): 9

Maybe east village will be different- having the apartments on top of the roof garden,mope fully promoting their use
zetcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #6063
Brizer

Likes (Received): 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
another masterplan? man cant keep up with these models
gee the heights are kept low? 1 chance of a 10storey? sad
Another failure of potential. I've banged on endlessly about council planning being too conservative and failing to see a more realistic future so that the CofS area will end up looking like a small European city while the rest of Sydney surges into the reality of the city in the C.21st.

As for rooftop gardens, lovely idea but the reality is not so appealing. The winds around here are phenomenal as we are in a wind channel down to Botany Bay. As I've learned to my despair, many plants will not survive more than a season or two on my balconies and in winds such as we had today, even large pots with large plants in them can be bowled over.

I notice on The Tower Residences that the plants indicated (if somewhat optimistic in their lushness) are low growing and hardy which will give them a better chance of survival. Some 'landscape concepts' I've seen show plants that haven't a hope in Hades of surviving in a tough environment but they sure look pretty in the image.

On top of higher towers, maybe photovoltaic cells would be a better is less appealing option - as long as they are very firmly bolted down.

The twin parks on the podium of East Village are relatively protected as they are surrounded by 4 or so levels of apartments.
Brizer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #6064
just_me_again

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by papervagina View Post
The rooftop gardens in the renders for a lot of these buildings look great, but what is the reality like? I imagine the landscaping never lives up to expectations and they end up being windswept, desolate places use by only a small number of residents. I think I saw some photos of a Divercity courtyard and it looked nothing like the renders.

Does anyone here live in a building with a rooftop garden? I'd like to be proven wrong, because the council sure are keen on them.

I don't think that "use" is main reason for "green roofs". I think that main reason is creating more pleasant "5th facade" specially for low/mid-rises surrounded by highrises. It just softens harshness of plant-rooms and other facilities often placed there. Should have some role in building's thermal/energy exchange as well.

Brizer liked this post
just_me_again no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #6065
papervagina
spider inside my dreams

I agree that green roofs are a good thing, but are many of the rooftop gardens developers are splashing all over their marketing material actually turning out to be green roofs? Or do they end up being a bit of paving, some dead plants and an unloved pergola?
papervagina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM   #6066
OEL4

Likes (Received): 8

Three bedroom Eastlakes unit sells for record high $880,000

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227024606647

Eastlakes Village to be built at 279 Gardeners Road, Eastlakes.
An Eastlakes unit has sold for a record-breaking price as part of the first residential development in the suburb since the 1970s.

Thirty apartments and eight shops, to be known as Eastlakes Village, will be built on the corner of Racecourse Pl and Gardeners Rd in Eastlakes this spring.

It’s the first significant residential development in the area for more than 40 years.

The development, which has just been granted approval from Botany Bay Council, has already sold six apartments.

A three-bedroom unit sold for $880,000 off the plan, and is a record high price for an apartment in Eastlakes - almost double the suburb’s median unit price of $455,000.

Joe Recep of NG Farah Kingsford said people are paying these prices because of the location.

“On the other side of the road, just 30 to 40 metres away can be classified as Kingsford,” he said.

“Buyers see Eastlakes as great value because it is close to the city and University of NSW.”

All six buyers lived in a 5km radius of the site.

Mr Recep said a lot of the older Eastlakes units would start to get refurbished and modernised to enhance the value of properties in Eastlakes.

McDonalds owned the site at 279 Gardeners Rd in 2009, but after failing to gain approval through the Land and Environment Court it sold the property. Real estate agent Anthony Kassis purchased it in September 2012.

SHOPPING CENTRE PLAN SHOULD BE TORN UP: BOTANY MAYOR

“Having sold many properties in the area since 1986, my heart was set on buying this site and developing it,” he said.

Mr Kassis said the potential of the Crown Group redevelopment of the BKK Eastlakes Shopping Centre redevelopment around the corner on Evans Ave also added value to his units.

Perspective view of proposed development at Eastlakes Shopping Centre as viewed from East
Perspective view of proposed development at Eastlakes Shopping Centre as viewed from Eastlakes Reserve. Botany Council launched court action against the Crown Group plan.
The controversial $192 million shopping centre redevelopment, with 400 units and 14,000sq m of shops, was approved in September last year.

DEVELOPER SAYS EASTLAKES PROJECT IS A WIN FOR RESIDENTS

But Botany Bay Council challenged the decision and launched action in the Land and Environment Court in November.

Crown hopes to have a decision from the courts by September.

The new development will also put an end to the continuous illegal rubbish dumping at the site which has been an ongoing problem for years.

THE NUMBERS

• Eastlakes has the lowest median unit price in the southeast at $455,000. The average price of units in neighbouring suburbs of Rosebery is $630,000, Hillsdale is $464,000 and Mascot is $650,000. (RP Data)

• In 2011, the population of Eastlakes was 7,335 people. It is expected to increase by over 1,000 people to 8,400 by 2021 forecast.id.com.au
OEL4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, projects, sydney