daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2015, 06:14 AM   #1061
yurodivoy

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Good point.

I'd rather have 3000 doctors who are going to buy something nice for their wives (ok, and husbands) while at the big convention that to have 25,000 used car salesman happy to have HBO in their fancy hotel room.
Though we doctors sure do like an awesome looking nice hotel. Seattle DC's point would still stand as a good one: this hotel is not going to make any impression at all to the high end market that our city should be going after.

Fancy design is expensive, but I bet with our hotel rates it'd be affordable - and worth it. Whenever I go to a doctor convention even in big places like San Francisco, the hotel rates shoot way up. A banner hotel would solidify Seattle's case as a destination city for the premium meetings.
yurodivoy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 21st, 2015, 06:14 AM   #1062
cadre

Likes (Received): 125

I just wonder why the developer community in some cities seem to take more pride in their product than developers in other cities, like Seattle? There are plenty of hoteliers who recognize the positive impact to the bottom line of iconic architecture (or not even iconic - just buildings showing there was some thought put into them, that are pleasing to look at.) Hedreen and other Seattle developers seem to not really care. I find that interesting, and unfortunate for the people living here.

yurodivoy liked this post
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:34 PM   #1063
LCIII

Likes (Received): 1405

I don't think this is going to be as awful as everyone else here seems to think. It's not daring architecture or anything but I think it's going to look just fine when all is said and done.

I guess we'll see.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1064
old_smithy

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadre View Post
I just wonder why the developer community in some cities seem to take more pride in their product than developers in other cities, like Seattle? There are plenty of hoteliers who recognize the positive impact to the bottom line of iconic architecture (or not even iconic - just buildings showing there was some thought put into them, that are pleasing to look at.) Hedreen and other Seattle developers seem to not really care. I find that interesting, and unfortunate for the people living here.
I think when demand is so high, it's easier to cut corners. Hotel occupancy rates are at an all time high in Seattle right now so we end up with even the high end brands looking like prisons (i.e., the Four Seasons).
old_smithy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:17 PM   #1065
yurodivoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_smithy View Post
I think when demand is so high, it's easier to cut corners. Hotel occupancy rates are at an all time high in Seattle right now so we end up with even the high end brands looking like prisons (i.e., the Four Seasons).
I would have anticipated the opposite effect, that when hotels are expected to be flush with cash, they'd make the investment in more eye catching structure and design. This helps their product stand out, and could also help secure their place in the market in less favorable business weather. Second rate cities with low hotel rates tend to be dominated by underwhelming, plain looking hotels as well. We don't want to look like that.

cadre liked this post
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:32 PM   #1066
LCIII

Hotels know they will book out here. Why waste the extra cash on a flashy design when returns will be very strong already? Will take less time for a cheap design to turn profit. Maybe it will eventually reach a tipping point where a fancy design will be necessary to get attention but right now everybody gets customers.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:20 AM   #1067
SeattleDC
DCRE

Likes (Received): 11

I like forums! This is great! Good feedback!
SeattleDC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 05:42 AM   #1068
InlandEmpire
Mixologist

Likes (Received): 31

It reminds me of a larger version of the Davenport Grand in Spokane. Uninspired exterior but amenities and interior comfort/finishes and meeting spaces will help it out. It's a great location at any rate.
InlandEmpire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 04:39 PM   #1069
JiminyCricket

Likes (Received): 216

If the "really big one" hits, I think I'd want to be in this building. Thing looks built like a brick shit-house.
JiminyCricket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 06:12 PM   #1070
SeaJamie

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket View Post
If the "really big one" hits, I think I'd want to be in this building. Thing looks built like a brick shit-house.
Ironically, the last place you'd want to be is a brick shit-house. They say in the big one, all unreinforced masonry is going down.
SeaJamie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 06:35 PM   #1071
cadre

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
Hotels know they will book out here. Why waste the extra cash on a flashy design when returns will be very strong already? Will take less time for a cheap design to turn profit. Maybe it will eventually reach a tipping point where a fancy design will be necessary to get attention but right now everybody gets customers.
Hospitality is a very cyclical business. Short-term thinkers don't want to "waste the extra cash", while long-term thinkers want to "position their holdings for competitive advantage in any economic climate." Hedreen will be looking for a sucker to draw in and manage this unattractive building, and they'll do well in the short term. If Hedreen is lucky, they'll dump it on the market and find another sucker to buy it before the next recession.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:45 PM   #1072
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 987

I've lost track on this one - is design review over? I always feel that the alternative designs are intentionally ugly (or no intent has gone into making them not-ugly) in order to make the preferred option attractive to reviewers. Considering this was not at all the preferred option, perhaps the architect will go back and improve the design? Or is that phase over?
Matt the Engineer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:53 PM   #1073
LCIII

You really need to flip through this thread. You are WAY behind.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:08 PM   #1074
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 987

I'd estimate this thread has around 1% signal:noise.

A month ago I posted the demo permit they have, but they were still waiting for their MUP. So my question's more on process than anything specific to this project: at what point can they no longer make major changes without having to go back through the design review process?
Matt the Engineer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:00 PM   #1075
LCIII

The design is done. Has been for a long time. This was their preferred design I. The event they didn't get an alley vaction. They abandoned the alley vacation effort a long time ago.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:37 PM   #1076
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
I'd estimate this thread has around 1% signal:noise.

A month ago I posted the demo permit they have, but they were still waiting for their MUP. So my question's more on process than anything specific to this project: at what point can they no longer make major changes without having to go back through the design review process?
They're still waiting for their MUP but they have conditional approval and they're at "decision published" stage. I don't know whether that can still be appealed, or what part of that they're past already.

The MUP and DR submissions happen pretty early in design. The major points would be figured out by now with an emphasis on what's visible from outside (for DR) and long-lead items. But the detail level has to be a work in progress.
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #1077
TravelerSea

Likes (Received): 44

Sellen fencing around the whole site's surface parking (not just the old bus station) and the unused parking lot portion. Lots of orange markings on pavement. Maybe some very early preparations!

testdrive, Ruffhauser liked this post

Last edited by TravelerSea; July 25th, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
TravelerSea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #1078
geoffloftus

Likes (Received): 3397

Confirming TravelerSea's observations 7/25/15

velciane, testdrive, SJM, Ruffhauser, Xiyatu liked this post
geoffloftus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:58 AM   #1079
yurodivoy

Well would you look at that.... next door to me they seem to be stacking a bunch of white bags on the closed down parking lot. Demo preparation?

Hedreen parking lot by Alex Lee, on Flickr