SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Western Europe and Eastern Europe

Tags
europe
26K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  Linguine 
#1 · (Edited)
Which do you like more?
I saw that these two of Europe were way different in culture, food, life, music etc..
So I decided it would be good to discuss how these two regions are different and how they are the same.
Please no trolling and NO I am not referring eastern Europe as the communist states, they were. All I am saying are that they are two different regions that live very different.:):).DO NOT get the wrong idea. okay?? :)

Lets start with the major cities
Moscow: pop 11,514,330

London:8,278,251

Which city is more appealing? Moscow or London?

other honorable mentions.
Paris :cheers:

Kiev :banana:

Madrid

Rome

Warsaw

These are the biggest cities in order and population

1)Moscow around 10,500,000
2)London 7,600,000
3)St. Petersburg 4,600,000
4)Berlin somewhere 3,400,000
5)Madrid 3,200,000
6)Rome 2,900,000
7)Kiev 2,800,000
8)Paris around 2,200,000
As you can see the biggest cities are somewhat evenly
distributed.
Western Europe is considered good because
of the tourism, sightseeing, food,famous sites etc... However
the otherside people like it because boost of economy,
unexplored areas, friendlier people and other similarities.
famous sites located in WE are Eiffel tower, Big Ben, Colosseum,
Louvre.
EE contains Kremlin, Hermitage and other less known areas,
does that explain about less explored areas?
I like WE because it is exciting famous, and warmth,EE contains
less tourists, more snowy,(I like that too:)),and one group of
people that have same similarity which is Slavic. EE is building three
major high rise skylines and WE is containing around five cities with
skylines. London is a major trading center in the world and Paris
is the most visited.As you all know none of the eastern side even hold close to any of these each achievements but they are trying to improve their business.
Odessa is a warm city In Ukraine and Sochi is also warm.
Spain and Italy hold the warm spots over there. The biggest country is Russia, but are more poorer than the westerners. But EE is catching up quickly to these states like in this situation where bankrupsy lurks everywhere, in western Europe.

Eastern Europe: Biggest country is Russia, the biggest population is Russia with 110,000,000 people. Major cities include Moscow,St Petersburg, Kiev Kharkov, Warsaw,Bucharest, Katowice.:cheers:

Western Europe: Biggest Country France 547,030 km2, Largest population is Germany with 81 million people. London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Hamburg, are major cities. :cheers:

So what region is more interesting?
Well that is about all, I can list other information but I think this is it.:hi:

See less See more
#2 ·
No offense, but this thread is idiotic. Drawing a line to segregate Europe is only possible now because of the effects of the iron curtain. In the future, as it was in the past, it will not be possible and your idea of "Western Europe and Eastern Europe" will become redundant.

#14 · (Edited)
The division of the world into two opposing blocs was perhaps the most important political fact of the 20th century, and has huge lasting effects even on today's world. Just compare any socio-economic factor between countries East of the curtain with countries West of it.

Sure, things are quickly changing, many EE countries are catching up, but how on earth you can deny there still is a clear divide?

#3 ·
If you are confused here it means that Eastern europe is where slavs live while western is where the other ethnicity live.(like Poland will go into eastern europe and so will Czechoslovakia and Hungary.)
Hungary is not slavic... Anyway cities like Prague look more or less the same as "western" ones so I'm not sure this kind of vs. comparison makes much sense.

#5 ·
Which do you like more??
If you are confused here it means that Eastern europe is where slavs live while western is where the other ethnicity live.(like Poland will go into eastern europe and so will Czechoslovakia and Hungary.)
WTF? Czechoslovakia? And Hungary is Slavic? Good to see that you know your stuff. Let the assaults begin! :horse:

#8 ·
The idea of Europe is that it cannot be defined. That is why You also can't divide it on two equal parts. Europe has no definition. It's something very open. You make Europe what You want it to be. And your definition of Europe tells more not about Europe itself but about You, and how You perceive it.

#9 ·
Of course there is no political map that describes West Europe as West Europe or east as east.
All I'm saying when you cross the "border" you will see the land dotted with domed churches and babushkas... or other stuff. Many people would agree that these two lands are quite different because the west has mainly been cultured my modernism, and the east has a different story.:)

#10 ·
....There is no political but there are no any other maps (cultural, religious, ethnic) that could divide Europe on two. Have You seen "babushkas" in Sweden or Finland? No "babushkas" in Germany? Do you know anything about retirement system in post-communist countries? In Germany old people are relatively rich (and travel to Spain to rest, those poorer rest in Polish spas), in "east" countries they can't afford medicine, not mentioning traveling anywhere. Trust me, they would like to go somewhere also. It's more a financial fact then cultural.

- Communism was also modernism. It was one of post-enlightenment ideologies, just like neoliberalism. Generally only times during communism were the same for ALL "eastern countries" (excluding Scandinavia and Austria).

- There are no more churches here than there are in France. And they are domed because of the bigger snow fall. Anyway, I think You look at "eastern" Europe though some stereotypes of yours. It's hard to draw a line between regions in Europe and find that on one side it's completely different then on the other. The cultural landscape is changing, but it's evolution in space. So when you cross the border You will not see domed churches at once. You will see changing landscape and evolution of domes. And they don't begin at the border of any country.

You cannot cut Europe on "east" and "west" because it's ideological, it comes from communist period and before communism nobody defined Europe in such way. No thought schematic can embrace Europe. Europe is an idea without historic or geographic substance. In America, USA is constitution, it's simple. In Europe there is no such thing that could describe whole Europe. We may say: Europe is Christianity. But then what should we do with Albania? Or Turkey (and Constantinople)? Or Grenada? We may say: Europe is Enlightenment. But then what we should do with Vatican and all religions? We may say: Europe is a continent...but it's defiantly not a continent. We may say: Europe is catholic or post-catholic. But what about Ukraine or Bulgaria? If You say east: do U mean Sweden or Finland? And if not (because it may be north Europe) then why Estonia is not north? It has more to do with Nordic countries then those "eastern". And is Great Britian north or west then (it's also protestant)? See?

#11 ·
....There is no political but there are no any other maps (cultural, religious, ethnic) that could divide Europe on two. Have You seen "babushkas" in Sweden or Finland? No "babushkas" in Germany? Do you know anything about retirement system in post-communist countries? In Germany old people are relatively rich (and travel to Spain to rest, those poorer rest in Polish spas), in "east" countries they can't afford medicine, not mentioning traveling anywhere. Trust me, they would like to go somewhere also. It's more a financial fact then cultural.

- Communism was also modernism. It was one of post-enlightenment ideologies, just like neoliberalism. Generally only times during communism were the same for ALL "eastern countries" (excluding Scandinavia and Austria).

- There are no more churches here than there are in France. And they are domed because of the bigger snow fall. Anyway, I think You look at "eastern" Europe though some stereotypes of yours. It's hard to draw a line between regions in Europe and find that on one side it's completely different then on the other. The cultural landscape is changing, but it's evolution in space. So when you cross the border You will not see domed churches at once. You will see changing landscape and evolution of domes. And they don't begin at the border of any country.

You cannot cut Europe on "east" and "west" because it's ideological, it comes from communist period and before communism nobody defined Europe in such way. No thought schematic can embrace Europe. Europe is an idea without historic or geographic substance. In America, USA is constitution, it's simple. In Europe there is no such thing that could describe whole Europe. We may say: Europe is Christianity. But then what should we do with Albania? Or Turkey (and Constantinople)? Or Grenada? We may say: Europe is Enlightenment. But then what we should do with Vatican and all religions? We may say: Europe is a continent...but it's defiantly not a continent. We may say: Europe is catholic or post-catholic. But what about Ukraine or Bulgaria? If You say east: do U mean Sweden or Finland? And if not (because it may be north Europe) then why Estonia is not north? It has more to do with Nordic countries then those "eastern". And is Great Britian north or west then (it's also protestant)? See?
From what I see your telling me is that there are domed churches all across Europe. But tell me do you see these churches in France Germany or your other claimed countries? No.

I didn't say that right when you take a step into like say, Poland you will see all these stuff come alive. I said this region is specifically marked with colorful onion churches.
If you looked at my first post you will see that I said I am NOT defining Eastern Europe as Communist states. Why does EVERYBODY think that when someone says eastern Europe it automatically means that this region was communist??? This isn't 1990's.
What? Britain is north? If you look at a compass you will see it is marked in the western part of Europe. Simple.
Please, let's not continue this debate. I said I did not want any of these arguments
Okay?:grouphug::hug:

#12 ·
^^Well things like colorful onion-domes are characteristic for Orthodox countries but not for Catholic Poland and other CEE and Baltic countries we don't have a lot of onion domes, babushkas or whatever. You see this is very sensitive subject since most of the countries you lump into EE cathegory don't really see themselves as part of this region and for some people it might be even offensive hint- all "EE" countries in the EU consider themselves rather as part of the West. It seems that even if you deny it you use this term in it's Cold War sense because the main reason that it is used to describe many of this countries is the Iron Curtain.
It also doesn't make much sense to compare architecture of this "Eastern" EU cities with other cities in the union as if they were products of different civilizations since the architecture is mostly the same meaning it's Western.
Most people from Warsaw, Prague or Bratislava would find this idea eccentric if not plain ridiculous because they see cities like Paris as examples to follow especially in maintaince, public spaces etc. but not as alien or exotic.

#15 ·
^^I think he only said that you can still draw a line today but it will be impossible in the future. Anyway which countries CEE, EE, Baltics, Balkans (mostly former Yogoslavia) or perhaps Caucasus? Because there are also clear socio-economic differences between this regions. Countries like the Czech Republik are already comperable with Portugal for example but I'm not sure GDP (the most obvious difference) should really be the most important factor here or perhaps we should move Moldavia to Africa :dunno:

#21 ·
And we don't discussing? And it seems U don't understand what I'm writing. I never said there is no difference between regions in Europe. There are, but you cannot make simplifications. U get angry and didn't even describe what You mean by term "Eastern Europe". You just said they are not communist states. So what is "Eastern Europe" 4 U?! Happy to get to know how a person from...(where are U from?) is seeing Eastern Europe? So I don't talk now. I'm listening...

#22 ·
I'd happily advise you to look at my earlier posts and you will see what I mean by Eastern Europe.
But if you want me to mention it again I will: EE is famous for their unique churches, where you will not find anywhere else as common as EE.
Commieblocks are also scattered across this area but not every single country. (but WAY more than anywhere else).
And again there are old women that wear 'kasinkis', and every one mainly refers to them as babuskas because they are slavic and slavics are known for their old women, if you find them in a movie you will always see they are Russian or similar country.
I will mention this one because I hear this one alot, EE is known for their blond beautiful women that are not found anywhere else.
and the last one I will list, is EE is slavic they are all closely related by their language and 'generations'. While Western Europe has many differnt languages like English, Spanish, French, Italian and many more.(which are categorized by different language aspects.)
Okay there it is.:cheers:

#26 · (Edited)
Europe can be divided in several ways. It's west or east, mainland Europe or outside the mainland (Brittain, Scandinavia, Malta, Cyprus, Iceland)

But Vienna is situated east of Prague still Vienna has always belonged to the West and Prague to the East. So the east is considered to be the slavic post communist countries, including non slavic Hungary, also the east has a lower standard of living due to its history, which makes it cheaper to tourists.

Also you can divide it by religion, language. Albania, Kosovo, European Turkey belong to mainland Europe but those countries have more in common with the middle east.

Russians do not consider themselves europeans at all, they want to be reffered to as russians only.

So talking about europe is something done mostly by people living outside Europe.

Europe is so diverse both geographicly and culturally so trying to unite the continent either by a union or a currency will result in a fail.

#31 · (Edited)
But Vienna is situated east of Prague still Vienna has always belonged to the West and Prague to the East. So the east is considered to be the slavic post communist countries, including non slavic Hungary, also the east has a lower standard of living due to its history, which makes it cheaper to tourists.
LOL this is really great definition - eastern europe which is not actually eastern, eastern slavic europe which is not actually slavic (you forgot Estonia, Lithuania and other non slavic countries/languages) and we could continue further, there is not really anymore anything like western vs eastern europe if you don't want to use it really only as geographical terms when Austria and Czech republic must be part of same Europe (western or eastern, doesn't matter)

only difference was Soviet union influence and occupation of other countries (I know general knowledge (about history) in west is quite bad, but one would think they teach those students at least about 1968 all over Europe), while some people still think about Europe as if it would be divided by iron curtain and countries as Czechia, Slovakia, Poland or Slovenia would be under influence of soviets/russians, although truth is there is not possible separation of countries in Europe to west or east anymore, because of diversity, look at Eurozone, look at living standard how diverse it is even in so called western Europe where belong countries as Spain, Greece or Portugal

#28 ·
Until the 90's there was an iron curtain which definately separated the east from the west. I visited the GDR in 1987 and it was a drab depressing poor place, still one of the best economies of the Warsaw Pact.

The east was poorer and still is, but things change. Greece belongs to the wealthy west, now it's bancrupt. Italy is wealthy in the north, poor in the south.

In the future I think we are going to see a new barrier between rich and poor, it's going to be the north vs south.

In the EU, Germany is considered to be the locomotive of the whole union. The generator of wealth, while the lazy coffeedrinking greeks are the heavy load.

#33 ·
^^;) First is Paris. Second is Poznan (Poland).

Anyway, I give up. I don't really damn how non-europeans see Europe. It's more important how we, Europeans, see it. And we shouldn't let others to define us. I think that as long as we remember that Europe is an open project we will somehow develop with respect for other cultures and last in diversity.
We don't need a definition of Europe because they always divide.

And U Los Earth care more about your TV convictions then about real Europe. You prefer your stereotypes then reality and U are not eager to get to know anything truly about Europe. So why should I lose my time on this wonderfully stupid thread of yours? Cheers.

P.S. Oh yes. I really hate this thread.:nuts:

#40 ·
Sometimes image can tell 100 words. you got there languages map already, so now look at the religions map. Those "domed churches" that you speak about are characteristic for othodox countries. Division between orthodox and catholic/protestant zones is indeed probably the important from cultural viewpoint. As you can see, it doesn't overlap exactly with slavic areas.

You mentioned also blonde women. Well, here is hair colour in Europe map.As you can see its rather north-south thing:

You can also of course divide the continent arbitrarily into two parts of about equal size just for comparison purposes, like this:

This is purely arbitrary division based on geography but it divides Europe into two parts with about even population.

#42 ·
Well, not exactly. Many EE countries are OECD members, which means they belong to a club of world's most developed countries. Of course you can say that they're generally still less developed than WE, but some of them (like Slovenia) are pretty comparable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.