daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Old August 1st, 2005, 05:54 PM   #1
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 15

Stratford Phototour... Enjoy!

S~T~R~A~T~F~O~R~D

*A Morning Phototour*

Pleasant Morning - Hopelessly Sunny - Annoying Digicam - Nice Town - Sophisticated Town - Enjoy

I will come back and post the comments once all the photos are up... photos have been resized because they were extremely large. Now they are extremely small, but it was the best I could do with them.

Last edited by SP!RE; August 1st, 2005 at 06:35 PM.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2005, 06:40 PM   #2
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Entering the city, you may start to worry about the suburbanlike road. But there are nice streetlamps and planting boxes on the boulevard and it really does change the feel of the area.

Their mall is called the Festival Marketplace and it is decorated more Stratford-y than other malls. Good idea- a city that goes by a British theatre theme. Plus, they've got a bluenotes.

Before you know it, the road has changed to old residential homes with barn-style roofs and soon, you arrive downtown. Flowers hanging from streetlamps as well as banners make a fresh and crisp welcome.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:47 PM   #3
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

You are going to see me rant on about how urban and hip Stratford is. First of all, you need newspaper boxes. Newspaper boxes are good.

Tango coffee bistro... a cool place. I came back later and had myself a cappuccino. Yummay.

Condos in an alley. So urbane it puts a wall between me and New York. Okay, maybe that's an overstatement. But why don't small cities get any attention. Stratford isn't big- but it's still just as urban as anywhere.

Another neat place.

Gotta love the entrance to this place.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM   #4
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Lanes are city dwellers' best friend. And Stratford isn't missing out on the action.

This was big news for Stratford when it was put in. A small little house and restaurant nestled between two existing lots. The house was recently featured in an exhibition about Canadian contemporary architecture in houses.

Rooftop terraces are always good, and especially when they look over a river as beautiful as the Avon.

I have no idea which of these looks more stylish or cool- our tastes differ. So, you can pick which one you like more...

Old August 1st, 2005, 06:54 PM   #5
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

These shops face the river, and seem European to me for some reason.

These shops do not face the river.

This old factory is hopelessly ugly. But, it adds to the city- like a mosaic, the good and the bad contribute to making one nice city.

This laneway was a good shortcut, and was more interesting than taking the sidewalk to the edge of the city's surprisingly large downtown area.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM   #6
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

This oldy is getting converted to offices, and is getting some desperately needed exterior work. Nice to see some redevelopment in the area.

A typical Stratford street with nice infill projects. Nice to see those streetscapes intact.

A view up the street all the way to the main street, Ontario St.

The Avon Theatre. Good infill project, with a recently redone facade, and a majestic and airy lobby that would have you thinking you were in New York. The actual theatre area is just as impressive.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:05 PM   #7
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Garlic's is a very popular restaurant. Too bad the chairs weren't out, but they sure are nice. Stratford is a good town to live in if you like to entertain guests. May I suggest a night on the town with dinner at Garlic's and a walk over to the Avon Theatre for an evening show?

More nice infill; this building was kinda stylish if I do say so myself. Understated, but nice.

Gotta love that plant.

I think the cacti are interesting. I don't quite get it though... maybe I went crazy and those really aren't cacti.

Back downtown. I know, this shot doesn't say much, but it somehow got into this phototour...
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:08 PM   #8
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Back to Ontario St. again. It was early out, hence there is noone here with me.

Well, the trees were there to keep me company. Very nice day it was.

Stratford's one pitfall while I was there- garbage collection... Just joking, however it did seem to be a problem throughout the downtown.

Back at Tango...

Old August 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM   #9
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

My last moment downtown before getting in the car.

People walking along the river- and a swan.

Beautiful residential neighbourhoods along the Avon...

Old August 1st, 2005, 07:11 PM   #10
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

And, to finish... a photo that sums it all up. A William's with access from "Romeo St.". The theatre theme could go so far, and I love it!

I hope you enjoyed this phototour. A Guelph phototour will be up something during this summer.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:59 PM   #11
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 142

Awesome work! There's Niagara on the Lake and than there's Stratford. Beauty

Stratford is really doing some great work with some redevelopment work.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:48 PM   #12
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 342

Thanks for the photos and ditto (awesome work), too SP!RE, of my closest city to my hometown. Your pics are nice and crisp too, and taken in the SUMMER as well and show interesting perspectives. For its size of over 30,000 Stratford is very sophisticated and puts many other cities its size in Ontario (and around the world) to shame. There's also a good number of restaurants downtown offering unique cuisines, and stores, and very few vacant storefronts, and so colourful down there, and it's BUSY BUSY BUSY during the summer/spring time with tourists from as far as Chicago and Detroit.

This lighting is very RARELY seen on commercial strips, but Stratford has done it very nicely. Too bad it has yet to be done on the west end coming in from Mitchell (where I live).

BTW, London also has a Garlic's restaurant, I'll have to try it sometime.

Those homes you took, are probably on William Street, a residential riverside community along the Avon River, and they have amazing looking homes.
Jaybird está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:54 PM   #13
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
This lighting is very RARELY seen on commercial strips, but Stratford has done it very nicely.
True. Small things like this can make a big difference. The planting boxes on the boulevard made a difference, as well as the olde-style lamps, as well as the styling and naming of the shopping mall as "Festival Marketplace" as well as the Zehrs grocery that looks semi-medieval.

I must say, I get a strong impression that the Stratford city council takes itself very seriously. They sure know what they're doing.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:43 AM   #14
softee

Likes (Received): 19

Very nice pics Spire! Here's an interesting website serving the residents of Stratford started by Chris Rickett, who went from being a teenaged thorn in the side of many old-time residents of Stratford's establishment, to presently being a grown-up thorn in the side of Stratford's city council after he was elected to council there. http://www.thelocaloption.com

Last edited by softee; August 2nd, 2005 at 01:51 AM.
softee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:18 AM   #15
jada
Miss Skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 0

A little confused as to why you used multiple posts for your thread. Regardless, this appears to be a really nice town, unless of course there is a whole other side to it. But from what I see, I could live there.

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. " - Carl Sagan

Have fun, take pics! :)
jada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM   #16
sloid

Likes (Received): 4

Stratford is okay, so this is what I missed, damn! We were suppose to go to Stratford for a school trip but I decided not to come. It looks like a small town in Western Europe.
sloid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:10 PM   #17
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada
A little confused as to why you used multiple posts for your thread.
I forgot about the first one, and I didn't intend to. I'm sorry if anyone died because of it
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #18
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

UGH! This awful THING! This was the site of an abandoned COOPER factory that closed years ago, and a few years ago, there was a fire there set by stupid arsonists, and there has been controversy surrounding this building because of contamination, uses for it and other things. It was supposed to become a huge entertainment/shopping complex with a 5,000 seat arena. Now its future is unknown, but gives the city a bit of a "Black Eye".

Speaking of a man named Chris Rickett, if you can believe this, in October 2000, I actually met this guy when he was a cab driver for Radio Cabs in Stratford that took me and some friends to a concert, and he takes pride in this city and seems to fit the city councillor position very very well.
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #19
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird

Now its future is unknown, but gives the city a bit of a "Black Eye".
Don't say that- it adds to the urban landscape, in my opinion. I think it adds alot to the downtown area. But, hey, I'm a weirdo.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #20
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

^ you're probably right, it doesn't change the fact that Stratford is a very sophisticated and lovely city. Many cities have structures/eyesores like that.