daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Old October 5th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #1
stephencua
resident web developer

Likes (Received): 0

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA)

taken from inq7.net.. if this project turns out even half as good as advertised.. wow.. you could just imagine how metro manila would look like.. go BF!!!

Watch out for a 'good-looking' Metro

First posted 00:27am (Mla time) Oct 05, 2005
By Tarra V. Quismundo
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on Page A21 of the October 5, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

ARE YOU READY FOR A makeover?

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Tuesday bared its head-to-toe facelift program for Metro Manila by 2006, aptly called "Metro Gwapo: Looking Forward to a Good-Looking Metro."

Before a powerhouse audience that included President Macapagal-Arroyo and Cabinet members at the agency's headquarters in Makati City Tuesday, the MMDA presented its 11-point rehabilitation program for Metro Manila.

"Instead of saying beautiful, orderly, or pretty, we lumped these terms together into a single word: gwapo," said MMDA Chair Bayani Fernando, explaining the use of the term to reporters.

"Metro Manila should come out as a good-looking metropolis, including its people. Anything and anyone can look good," said Fernando.

A five-year program with an estimated cost of roughly P23.3 billion, Metro Gwapo includes projects that would address traffic management, roadways clearing, resettlement, flood control, and disaster management.

these projects are:

Street Nomads Care, a P247 million program that seeks to remove beggars, vagrants, and the homeless from the streets and taking them to facilities providing decent meals and bed-and-bath.

Sidewalk Dwellers Inventory and Relocation, a P400 million project moving 11,000 informal settlers to resettlement sites.

Waterways Dwellers Relocation project relocating 70,000 families living dangerously on waterways to safe areas.

Pook Na Bulok Program to upgrade blighted areas of Metro Manila.

Other projects include: Workers' Inns, Bike and Walk Ways Project, the Organized Bus Route Program, the Seven Major Roads Rehabilitation Program, C5-Kalayaan Elevated U-turn Slot Project, Flood Mitigation, and Public Safety and Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation Program.

The Metro Gwapo program, said Fernando, would need the partnership of the MMDA, the national government, and local government agencies. He also called on the public to do its part.

"We're looking at Metro Manila in terms of its totality. The task of rehabilitation can only be done with the help of everybody-from the local government to the citizens of Metro Manila, and even those who come here for business or to work," Fernando said.
stephencua no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 5th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #2
marites4

Likes (Received): 1

Go bayani. I really like this guy. Thank god GMA appointed him to MMDA! Hope some pesky mayors won't stand in his way in implementing reforsm. So guys better buy your condos now as if things go right Metro Manila will be back in business.
marites4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #3
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 17

Bayani is really a bayani! he's one of the most hardworking public officials and imo, one of the least corrupt.
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #4
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

Sounds great. I want to know the numbers. I wonder how expensive this project is going to cost. It sounds like it's going to be rather expensive.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #5
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

Akala ko ba Manila is a lady? Paano na lang ang project kong 'Ganda Ever'? Nakikigulo lang na naman.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:01 AM   #6
bagel

Maynila so Bongga Mother! Ang ganda ng lola ever!

Old October 5th, 2005, 04:06 AM   #7
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

Yup, sounds great! Go Bayani! Glad to see that he is still pushing through more and more projects to improve the Metro.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #8
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

Well we can't have a gwapo Metro Manila if we have politician's faces all over "their" projects

Seriously, I hope public awareness is included in MMDA's plans. If done properly, it can't be the most effective, getting the people helping the city
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #9
stephencua
resident web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha
Sounds great. I want to know the numbers. I wonder how expensive this project is going to cost. It sounds like it's going to be rather expensive.
the numbers are in the article..
stephencua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #10
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 5

yeah! tnx bayani!!

go GMA!
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #11
rajiris
Thesis Pada-ONE

• Manila OOhhh--LaLA!!! •

kunwari na-apektuhan si Mayor Lito Atienza dahil mas masipag sakanya si Bayani..eto ang pantalbog nya...

Manila Ooohh- LA- LA!!! (LA obviously for Lito A.)
**tapos applicable pa for all genders ung title diba? Girl, boy, bakla, tomboy..peace lahat! ^_^

wala lng nakikigulo lng din.

naisip ko lng..pano ung siansabing relocation sites? san un chka bka un namn ang mapabayaan. Talgang FACE-LIFT lng angmangyayari at hindi tunay na development.
rajiris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #12
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
Well we can't have a gwapo Metro Manila if we have politician's faces all over "their" projects

Seriously, I hope public awareness is included in MMDA's plans. If done properly, it can't be the most effective, getting the people helping the city

don't worry... in the process... it's GMA's face that will be all over the projects.....heheheh...

@boybaha... anyways...the article says an estimated Php23.3Billion.... for 5yrs

I hope this works... and will be implemented properly... the Metro needs the proper sidewalks and greeneries.... I hop[e they'd hike up the fines....
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #13
bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencua
the numbers are in the article..
Ooops how could I miss those? Numbers every other paragraph. Maybe I just fastforwarded to the contents of the plan. Good luck to Bayani. I hope he succeeds.

I had the pleasure of watching Mr. Fernando during an MMDA meeting once during the dark days when a certain diminutive boy scout from Makati was heading up the MMDA (while I was doing my practicum in Manila, working for another government agency). Let me tell you, Mr. Fernando, who was still mayor of Marikina, was all business. Out of all the Metro mayors present in that room, he was the classiest act. The Mayor of Makati at the time, Ms. Binay, sounded like a yes-woman to her husband. And then-QC-mayor Mathay seemed slimy, trying to lord it over all the other mayors. But Mr. Fernando was tough as nails.

Old October 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #14
xDieselJockx

Do you guys mean to say that if ever I visited Manila and I hop in a cab, there would be less traffic and then I don't have to pay the high meter price because of shorter traffic and better road??? wooo hooo sounds like a plan to me..LOL
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #15
thomasian
I'm sorry ...moving on

Likes (Received): 480

Meron kayang model para sa project ng MMDA? Pwede kaya akong mag-apply?

Seriously, it sounds like a good project, and you know how serious BF can get when it comes to his projects. Go BF!
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #16
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 229

Metro Manila needs a better facelift, pero sa kalagayan ng economy, "OK na YAN".
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #17
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDieselJockx
Do you guys mean to say that if ever I visited Manila and I hop in a cab, there would be less traffic and then I don't have to pay the high meter price because of shorter traffic and better road??? wooo hooo sounds like a plan to me..LOL
Not too sure about the high meter price with the oil situation in the world.... but yes possibly less traffic and better roads
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #18
marites4

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiris
kunwari na-apektuhan si Mayor Lito Atienza dahil mas masipag sakanya si Bayani..eto ang pantalbog nya...

Manila Ooohh- LA- LA!!! (LA obviously for Lito A.)
**tapos applicable pa for all genders ung title diba? Girl, boy, bakla, tomboy..peace lahat! ^_^

wala lng nakikigulo lng din.

naisip ko lng..pano ung siansabing relocation sites? san un chka bka un namn ang mapabayaan. Talgang FACE-LIFT lng angmangyayari at hindi tunay na development.
facelift will induce development. less blight will attract more investment,business as things will be more orderly, safety increased, traffic reduced so less money is spent idle on traffic.
marites4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #19
xDieselJockx

Quote:
Originally Posted by renell
Not too sure about the high meter price with the oil situation in the world.... but yes possibly less traffic and better roads

Well, I know about the rising crude oil prices alright, but I was just refering to instances where I would be sitting in a cab during wee hour in the day that a 15 mins ride can last to over an hour with the bad traffic congestions.
xDieselJockx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #20
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 125

now, if only something can be done about the pink...

Tags
metro manila