search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #81
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1553

Message to all members, particularly any who use "tinypic" to host photos and insert them into posts on this forum.

Jan has just posted this announcement . . .

Quote:
Next month we're going to disable the use of tinypic, which means the images hosted on this service will no longer be showing.

The problem with tinypic is that it is a 'temporary' image hosting solution which re-uses the same url's and image name. So if you were expecting to see skyscrapers in some old thread, you might be seeing something you might enjoy as well, but really shouldn't be on this forum.

In short, tinypic is just a liability for us.

Thanks for understanding.

Jan
25th December 2014.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #82
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Our "North East England Forum Communal Area"
Located just underneath the links to the four "City-Led" forums, see the below "Screen-Grab" (showing PART of the Communal Area) as at 16th January 2015 . . .

This is the area of our forum where the following types of threads are located

1 - For subjects and topics that are for geographical areas 'outside of' those covered by the four City-Led forums.

2 - For "Projects" in those more rural areas described above.

3 - For some subjects that are covered in the four City-Led forums, but where there is an overlapping interest, common to all of our areas.

4 - For CUMBRIA threads, as there is no "North West England SSC Forum" so all Cumbria threads are on our forum (in the 'Communal Area') reflecting the BBC Media coverage of its "North East and Cumbria" Region.

ALSO

For information - TWO NEW THREADS have been introduced in the Communal Area this week . . .

WIND FARMS - In Northumberland, Cumbria and County Durham, and "offshore" from each coast
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1792936

Cumbria - TRANSPORT ISSUES
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1792146

Any questions about this by PM to me or Steve please, or here on this 'Admin Thread'.

NH
16th January 2015.

denm liked this post
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:20 PM   #83
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I have just done another 'update' about CUMBRIA, and its coverage on Skyscraper City, over on the Forum Issues section of SSC . . .

LINK TO SSC 'FORUM ISSUES' SECTION - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=223

LINK TO THE CUMBRIA THREAD, IN THE 'FORUM ISSUES' SECTION - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1663354

COPY (BELOW) OF THE POST MADE TODAY, IN FORUM ISSUES . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
21st May 2015.
The consistent amount of input about CUMBRIA on SSC, I am pleased to say, has markedly increased in recent months, as have the number of SSC members making regular Cumbria postings.

There are now many regular postings being made about the Cumbria area of North West England, on all the threads located in the 'Communal Area' beneath the links to the four City-led forums, on the North East England Sub-forum of SSC . . .

ALL "CUMBRIA" POSTERS ARE VERY WELCOME . . .
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2254

denm liked this post
Old May 24th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #84
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

New Skybar

There has now been a new SKYBAR Thread set up here in the "Communal Area" of the North East England Sub-forum.

Each of the four City-led Forums (of the North East England Sub-forum) all have their own long-established Skybars.

These Skybar Threads are very useful for posting about topics that are slightly (or not-so-slightly) "off-topic" for the major remit of the Skyscraper City Website.

These interesting topics should, from now on, be posted on the 'Communal Area Skybar', which is one of the "Sticky" threads stuck near the top of this area of the forum.

There are quite likely to be MORE posts that qualify as off-topic in this Communal Area, as (due to lack of members posting in the Communal Area) there is not quite the diverse range of threads available here, as there is in the four City-led Forums.

So, we are now able to limit the "Developments Threads" (for example) to the physical developments, that are the core-subjects of Skyscraper City, the physical impact on the "Urban Environment" etc.

Hopefully the differentiation between the different types (subjects/topics) of posts, that should lead to quite a few 'Skybar' posts from now on, is clear (for this 'Communal Area', specifically) from the above.

If not, please ask questions, here on the Admin Thread.

denm liked this post
Old October 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #85
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

On 3rd October 2015 we reached 200,000 Posts - a significant milestone for the North East England Forum.

A few hours ago this forum, our 'overarching' forum, the North East England Sub-forum of Skyscraper City, became only the fifth of the UK Skyscrapercity Forums to reach the 200,000 posts milestone.

This is a quite excellent achievement for us, considering how relatively late in the game we were set up, well after the other four forums that have previously reached the 200,000 Posts Milestone.

Skyscrapercity was set up in 2001, and many of the sub-forums were set up in the years immediately following that. We were not set up until 14th October 2009 (it is actually our sixth anniversary in a couple of weeks time!) so we had a considerable posts-deficit in 2009, compared to most of the other UK sub-forums.

Statistics like ‘post numbers’ are not the be-all-and-end-all (I know) it is really the quality of the posts that is the most important, but a cursory glance through the Newcastle Forum's Alphabetical Index thread reveals just how many quality posts we do make on this forum. However, it is 'post numbers' that today's milestone is all about, and below is a screen-grab that confirms today's achievement.

Well done all of us . . .

denm liked this post
Old October 14th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #86
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Today, 14th October 2015, is our 6th Anniversary . . .

14th October 2009. to .14th October 2015

HAPPY 6th ANNIVERSARY TO THE "NORTH EAST ENGLAND SUB-FORUM OF SKYSCRAPER CITY" AND TO ALL MEMBERS OF THIS GREAT FORUM . . . THOSE WHO WERE WITH US IN 2009 AND ALL THOSE WHO HAVE JOINED US SINCE THEN

Looking back to six years ago, it was on 14th October 2009 that I remember Chris opening our brand new and 'hard fought for' forum, with . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
14th October 2009.

This is just to say Welcome, and Thankyou. To all of us who have worked hard for this, those who have supported those who have worked hard for this, thankyou, and to those who will transfer here from the Newcastle/Gateshead, Sunderland, Teesside and Hull single-threads, welcome. And of course to those who will be new in the future, we also welcome you.

So now we arrive at 14th October 2015 and our 6th Anniversary as a independent forum.

The quantity and sheer quality of many of the contributions made by the membership of this forum often astounds me. Many times I open the forum in the morning and just 'sit back' and take it all in. The knowledge that is shared, the photos of new projects that have been taken and posted, the questions asked and answered. The whole thing is just a pleasure to be part of and I can only see this place continuing as it is or even getting better in the future.

The Moderating Team of myself and Steve would like to take the opportunity to wish all the best to all of our Forum Members throughout the four internal forums and the communal area, on this auspicious occasion of our 6th Anniversary. It is you, the members, who on a daily basis make the entire North East England Sub-forum a very special place indeed.

Last year we celebrated our 5th Anniversary by having the "Worldwide SSC Banner" for 24 hours, no banner this year but our '6th' is still an important occasion to mark.

SO FINALLY . . .

Here’s to the NEXT six years, and to the six after that, and onward !!!

NH.

denm liked this post
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:36 PM   #87
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

We have a NEW 'Internal Forum' of the North East England Sub-forum . . .
The Completed Projects Forum

I would like to announce a new forum, a '5th' internal forum, that Skyscraper City have agreed that we can have (titled as above) here on the "North East England Sub-forum". It has been set up so that we can retain within it all the details, posts and photos from all of our completed projects, without 'clogging up' the four LIVE Forums and the Communal Area, with these infrequently used threads.

This one forum combines all of the Completed Projects from the other four internal forums, and from the Communal Area.

This forum was set up on 21st January 2016, and I have transferred into it all Project Threads marked as COMPLETED, from all our live forums, as follows.

From . . .

Sunderland and Durham Forum - 14 Threads.
Newcastle Metro Area Forum - 43 Threads.
Teesside Forum - 13 Threads.
Hull and Humber Forum - 6 Threads.
Communal Area - 0 Threads.

A Grand Total of 76 Threads, which should make navigating around the Live Forums a fair bit easier!

Future 'new' Completed Project Threads will automatically be moved into there by your Moderators.

NB - Just because these threads are now in the 'completed' forum, that doesn't mean that you cannot post on them. If anything relevant to a completed project occurs, please just post on the thread in the same way as you would if the threads were still in the Live forums. They are NOT 'locked' in any way.

This does, though, highlight the need for "Project Thread Titles" to be kept up to date. To that end the Moderating Team rely on you all (the members) to notify us when a Project reaches the 'completed' stage (as with all other stages) so that the suffix of the title can be amended appropriately.

To that end, can the regular posters on any Project Thread please check to see if there are any threads in the 'Live' area, that may actually be completed, but where the thread title does not reflect this.

Thanks,
NH.

denm liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:35 PM   #88
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

New Moderator for the North East England Sub-forum.

I am very pleased to announce that newcastlepubs has joined the Moderating Team of this very busy and successful Skyscrapercity Forum.

There is always plenty of work to do, and with Steve Ellwood having decided to spend less time on here now (as a number of you have noticed and commented about) there is a definite need for reinforcements

From now on, please feel free to contact newcastlepubs about any Forum Issues, in the same way that you have always done me and Steve . . . though I would suggest contacting me mostly (in the short term) until he becomes more familiar with the issues involved.

So . . . Welcome to the team NP

I'm sure everyone will be gentle with you (for a while !)
Old October 14th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #89
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Today, 14th October 2016, is our 7th Anniversary as a SKYSCRAPERCITY FORUM . . .

14th October 2009. to .14th October 2016

SO . . . HAPPY 7th ANNIVERSARY TO THE "NORTH EAST ENGLAND SUB-FORUM OF SKYSCRAPER CITY" AND TO ALL MEMBERS OF THIS GREAT FORUM . . . THOSE WHO WERE WITH US IN 2009 AND ALL THOSE WHO HAVE JOINED US SINCE THEN

Looking back to seven years ago, it was on 14th October 2009 that I remember Chris opening our brand new and 'hard fought for' forum, with . . .

Quote:
14th October 2009.

This is just to say Welcome, and Thankyou. To all of us who have worked hard for this, those who have supported those who have worked hard for this, thankyou, and to those who will transfer here from the Newcastle/Gateshead, Sunderland, Teesside and Hull single-threads, welcome. And of course to those who will be new in the future, we also welcome you.

So now we arrive at 14th October 2016 and our 7th Anniversary as an independent forum.

The quantity and sheer quality of many of the contributions made by the membership of this forum often astounds me. As I said last year (and nothing has changed) many times I open the forum in the morning and just 'sit back' and take it all in. The knowledge that is shared, the photos of new projects that have been taken and posted, the questions asked and answered. The whole thing is just a pleasure to be part of and I can only see this place continuing as it is or even getting better in the future.

On this auspicious occasion of our 7th Anniversary, the entire Moderating Team would like to take the opportunity to wish the VERY best to all of our Forum Members throughout the five internal forums (we have during this last twelve months obtained our ‘5th’ internal forum, the “Completed Projects Forum”) as well as to those of us who regularly post on the - now prospering - Communal Area, located below the links to the five internal forums.

It is you, the members, who on a daily basis make the entire North East England Sub-forum a very special place indeed.

SO FINALLY . . .

Here’s to the NEXT seven years, and to the seven after that, and ever onward !!!

NH.

denm liked this post
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #90
denm

Likes (Received): 1788

Congratulations to NH and the Team,--the N E forum is excellent,--these past years has flown by,---so well done to all posters,--and here's to many more years,--cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:25 AM   #91
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Well people, it's 22nd December, we're getting pretty close to the big day, so I thought it was time that I wished everyone on this forum a . . .

Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for 2017.

This "Communal Area" of our North East England Sub-forum (where we all come together from the four City-led Forums) has really made great strides this last year.

We now have many members visiting here regularly and making large numbers of quality posts, with Cumbria in particular now being VERY well represented on here.

So, have a great Christmas everyone, and I look forward to sharing the forum with you all again next year.

All the very best
NH

denm liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2016, 11:12 AM   #92
denm

Likes (Received): 1788

I too would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful New Year,----all the best,--

Newcastle Historian liked this post
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 12:15 PM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The "Like Button" has been removed . . .

Some of you will have noticed that the "Like Button" in the bottom right-hand corner of posts made here on the forum, has disappeared.

It has been gone for a few days, and I held off posting the reason for this in the hope that it might soon be restored.

However, as I am now getting questions (by 'PM') about it, here is the latest situation as notified to me by our SSC "IT" people . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiT
SkyscraperCity has just been upgraded to vbulletin 3.8.11. Ater the upgrade, clicking on the "like button" didn't do anything. So, I've disabled it until I can figure out what the problem is. I'm thinking it's just old software having problems running on more modern versions of things (PHP 7.1, for example).

Yes, vB 3 is still receiving security upgrades. However, we definitely have a path foward, and want to migrate to Xenforo sometime in the near future.
Hopefully, I will be able to report its return shortly, as I know many of us find this facility useful.

NH.
Old April 6th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #94
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The "Like Button" is now working again.

Enjoy
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #95
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Here in September 2017 our Forum reached the posts total of "A Quarter of a Million Posts".

A significant milestone for our SSC Sub-forum, The North East England Forum.

I missed the actual '250,000 day', but today (25th September 2017) here is the total . . .

This is an excellent achievement, considering how relatively late in the game we were set up as a forum on Skyscrapercity, compared to the other major UK locations. Skyscrapercity was set up in 2001, and many of the sub-forums were set up in the years immediately following that. We were not set up until 14th October 2009 so we had a considerable posts-deficit in 2009, compared to most of the other UK sub-forums.

Currently, there are now only four UK Sub-forums with larger post totals:

Manchester Forum 471,00,
Birmingham Forum 398,000,
London Forum 375,000, and
Liverpool Forum 371,000.

You can see all of these totals (and others) by clicking on the "Projects and Construction link", at the top of this page. Here is an extract, showing the details for our Sub-forum made up of the FIVE 'individual forums' within it . . .

Statistics such as these (‘post numbers’) are not the be-all-and-end-all (I know) it is really the quality of the posts that is the most important, and THAT we certainly do also have. However, just for today, it is 'post numbers' that this latest of our forum milestones is all about.

Well done all of us . . .

denm liked this post
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #96
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

14th October 2017 is our 8th Anniversary as a SKYSCRAPERCITY SUB-FORUM . . .

(14th October 2009. to .14th October 2017)

HAPPY EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY TO THE "NORTH EAST ENGLAND SUB-FORUM OF SKYSCRAPER CITY" AND TO ALL MEMBERS OF OUR FORUM - ALL THOSE WHO WERE WITH US IN 2009 AND ALL THE MANY WHO HAVE JOINED US SINCE THEN

Looking back to eight years ago, it was on 14th October 2009 that I remember Chris opening our brand new and 'hard fought for' forum, with . . .

Quote:
14th October 2009.

So now we arrive at 14th October 2017 and our 8th Anniversary as an independent forum.

The quantity and sheer quality of many of the contributions made by the membership of this forum often astounds me. As I have said many times (and nothing has changed) so often I open the forum in the morning and just 'sit back' and take it all in. The knowledge that is shared, the photos of new projects that have been taken and posted, the questions asked and answered. The whole thing is just a pleasure to be part of and I can only see this place continuing as it is or even getting better in the future.

On this auspicious occasion of our 8th Anniversary, the Moderating Team of myself and newcastlepubs would like to take the opportunity to wish the VERY best to all of our Forum Members throughout the five internal forums as well as to those of us who regularly post on the (now) very successful "Communal Area", which is located immediately below the links to the five internal forums. It is you, the members, who on a daily basis make the entire North East England Sub-forum a very special place indeed.

A special mention should also be made about our Cumbria members, who have found a home here on the North East England Sub-forum, in increasing numbers of late. The Cumbria posts have really enlivened the Communal Area of our Sub-forum.

SO FINALLY . . .

Here’s to the NEXT eight years, and to the eight after that, and ever onward !!!

NH.

denm liked this post

Tags
admin, cumbria, forum changes, hull, newcastle, north east england, sunderland, teesside