search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #21
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 634

But Barton, Grimsby, Immingham and Scunthorpe are the only settlements that aren't small villages - and those places all come under Hull and Humber

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #22
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
There is a discussion taking place in the 'Forum Issues' section of SSC, regarding the possibilty of a "South of England" Sub-forum being set up.

HERE - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1243069

Both myself and Chris have got involved a little bit, in the discussion.

I have been spreading the word about our North East England sub-forum in the discussion, while offering some advice as to possible "structures" that could be adopted by a South Sub Forum.

As part of that discussion, it was mentioned that there could well be some areas of The South, that would not easily be covered by any of the suggested City-Region Internal Forums, and I said that those areas could still use the 'communal area' that would be available beneath the internal forums - if they chose to have internal forums!

In other words, the equivalent area to this area here, where this thread is.

It made me wonder if there were any geographical parts of North East England, not really covered by our four internal forums, that we could utilise our own 'communal area' for?

AN EXAMPLE . . .

The remit of the 'Newcastle Metro Area' Forum, includes South Northumberland, and to that end we have "Area Developments" threads on there for places like Blyth and Cramlington, and as far North as Morpeth. We also have the 'Tyne Valley' covered on its own Developments thread, for places like Prudhoe and Hexham.

Now, I'm sure we would happily cover on the Newcastle Forum, areas of Northumberland further West than Prudhoe/Hexham, and further North than Morpeth.

However (in the spirit of the discussions about "The South Sub-Forum") I just wondered if we might take the opportunity of similarly making better use of this 'communal area' of our forum, to cover areas not immediately identifiable as being part of our four internal forums.

So . . .

I thought I would kick it off with a Northumberland Area Developments - Areas and Subjects NOT being covered on the "Newcastle" Forum thread!

In conclusion:

1 - Do people agree that there are areas we could cover here, and that it would be a good idea to more utilise this area of our sub-forum?

2 - Can anyone think of any other 'areas' (from North Lincolnshire up through Teesside and Durham, etc) not seemingly included in our four internal forums, where issues of relevance to us on SSC could be happening, that we could set up a 'Developments type' thread for in this communal area?

Well, as can be seen, I have given our shire counties (North Lincs, Northumberland, Cumbria, North Yorks, County Durham) 'areas threads' a bit of a go!!

They may not be a success (I don't know) but I thought it was worth (at least) a try. We may attract posters from these more rural areas if they can see they have their "own area" thread, not necessarily as just a smaller part of a City-led sub forum?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 29th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #23
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

INSERTING/POSTING NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ON THE FORUM.

(1) Please read the below and try to follow these general guidelines.

(2) I have been meaning to write this note for some time, but I hoped that posters would notice how I use newspaper articles and follow suite, but that is not always happening.

(3) SSC (Moderators) are required to delete any copyrighted content when pointed out, and this has already been discussed a fair number of times in this thread, in relation to PHOTOS.

(4) The guidelines and procedures in relation to photos are now (mostly) being adhered to (links and credit given to websites, etc) but we need to “put our house in order” regarding the posting of newspaper articles.

(5) Posting whole news articles should NOT be done.

(6) Posting of shortened versions of news articles (which is what I tend to do) or even just the first few paragraphs, CAN be done.

(7) At the bottom of your posted excerpts from the article, please (as with photos) ALWAYS provide a link back to the article. Sometimes, the site you are posting from gives you the link automatically, other times you will need to ‘copy and paste’ it.

(8) While I am not saying I always do it right, generally (if you have a look at one) the way I do it complies with SSC requirements. I always TRY to do it right!

(9) As ever, please drop me a ‘PM’ or post on this thread, if you would like to discuss things further.

Cheers,
NH.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #24
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

As we now have TWO Project Threads in this 'Communal Area' of our North East England sub-forum, I have added to each the common TAG of . . .

Project - North East Area

As with the similar tags used on our four City-based sub-forums, this enables all "Projects" to be called up onto screen at one time, for ease of moving between each one.

OK, with only two projects on here at the moment, it is not very essential yet (!) but 'down the line' hopefully it will be as useful as it has been on the four internal sub-forums.
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:38 AM   #25
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I'm looking for as wide a participation in the below debate (see posts copied into here from the North Lincolnshire Developments thread) as is possible!

The debate is not just specifically about the North Lincolnshire / Hull and Humber issue (though I would welcome further input on that) it is about trying to attract non-city based posters to an area of the forum that they can call their own.

I think that if we can establish the 'identity' of this area of our forum (the North East 'communal' area, as I call it) by our regular posters from the four City-based sub-forums posting on here more, we can actually ATTRACT new posters from the more rural areas. People from those areas face 'urban/urbanism' issues (that SkyscraperCity is all about) in the same way that those of us in the big cities do!

What do people think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
Shouldn't Scunthorpe and North Lincs. development news be in the Hull and Humber forum?
Quote:
What do people think?

This thread is (as said earlier) for any and all developments and urban-related issues that are not being routinely covered on the four City-based forums.

Are the issues on this thread already being covered on the Hull and Humber forum?

Do posters from the more rural areas go on to the City-based forums?

The purpose of this thread is to (help) provide forumers with the widest possible choice of locations to post, and to provide a location that they can come to (and identify with) to post on urbanism issues.

It (and the other threads here) are not intended to take anything away from the Newcastle, Hull, Teesside, or Sunderland forums!

What do people think?

Is this a useful facility or not?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 12th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM   #26
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

I am looking to establish what areas of our "forum region" do not get coverage (for whatever reason) on the 'City' forums, and which rural and semi-rural areas could benefit from utilising the communal area.

Are there no such areas around Hull, as there are around the other three forum areas?

Thanks

I am looking for any information about the above, if anyone can help?

Thanks
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:10 PM   #27
pug

Likes (Received): 19

East Yorkshire seems well covered in its own respective thread. The same should be set up for Scunthorpe (North Lincolnshire) and Greater Grimsby (North East Lincolnshire), both of which come under the Hull and Humber City Region.

It just seems that many areas of the country (largely rural/smaller towns) have negligable or absolutely no involvement on here. That is understandable and i think it will take significant regeneration in Grimsby and Scunthorpe before people from those areas think of joining up.
pug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM   #28
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug View Post
East Yorkshire seems well covered in its own respective thread. The same should be set up for Scunthorpe (North Lincolnshire) and Greater Grimsby (North East Lincolnshire), both of which come under the Hull and Humber City Region.

It just seems that many areas of the country (largely rural/smaller towns) have negligable or absolutely no involvement on here. That is understandable and i think it will take significant regeneration in Grimsby and Scunthorpe before people from those areas think of joining up.

Thanks for that pug, very helpful, as I am not as informed as I would like to be about some of the areas around Hull and Humber, that I potentially thought could have been more attracted to use their own thread on the communal area, rather than visiting a primarily City-based forum!!

You see what I am trying to achieve though?

There are identifiable areas around all of the other three forums, so they seem to be working ok . . . though I know it will "take time" for the word to get around, and posters to be attracted in numbers . . . if ever!!

We even have threads for CUMBRIA, which is not part of any of the four sub-forums on the North East Forum!! So, there is a demand, of sorts, for this type of thread, hence my prolonged efforts!

Can you suggest anything that could be done (name-changes, etc?) to develop a useful "areas around Hull" thread, in the way that we have for Cumbria and the other three North East forum areas?

Thanks again.
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:59 PM   #29
pug

Likes (Received): 19

Perhaps a Northern Lincolnshire thread or some such? Inside the main Hull and Humber forum. Could be changed as and when more people from that area start joining. I keep my eye on news from around the region, so would post up anything worthwhile when possible.
pug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #30
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 634

Sorry NH, reading my reply back it does come across as a bit abrupt. Didn't mean for it too though, I was just a bit pushed for time.

I echo what pug says - there is nothing stopping somebody setting up threads for towns on the south bank in the Hull and Humber subforum - there has been a lot more discussion about the area and referencing of their local papers with recent developments around the ports, bridge tolls, the LEP etc.

It would be nice to see the sub-heading changed to include north and north-east lincs on the north east front page too.
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:24 PM   #31
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post

It would be nice to see the sub-heading changed to include north and north-east lincs on the north east front page too.

You know that I did try to get that?
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #32
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Have you noticed the new facility we have just obtained?

It is known as (I'm told) "thread tooltips".

If you hover your mouse over a thread title in any of our forums, you will now see (in a box) some of the information in the first post of that thread.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #33
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

All flickr photos have gone from Skyscraper City . . .

Some of you may have noticed that, currently, all the flickr photos inserted into posts on this forum, have disappeared.

This is happening because posters are still not giving appropriate 'credit' to sources of photos used on the forum, and flickr have cut all links.

On this forum, I have issued advice more than once, on this thread in the past (which is more than has happened on some forums) about the importance of giving proper credit for photos used, so (with luck) there will be no-one on here who has not complied with the requirements.

Here is a copy of my previous advice . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian, October 2010
An important reminder about the posting of images
into threads on Skyscraper City . . .

This note is posted here in order to EMPHASISE the post by Jan, that is currently in the "announcements" section above our forum.

Announcements are not there permanently, and I feel this important message should be retained permanently somewhere on our forum, and this thread is the logical place for it.

The announcement, dated May 12th 2010 from Jan (Administrator) is below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan (Administrator)

This is a strong reminder to all forum users, that ALL posted images which are not owned and hosted by yourself, must be properly credited. A link to the source must be provided and all individual copyrights respected.

Posted images which are not compliant to this are subject to removal.

I repeat - All posters MUST provide credit, links to sources of images, and always respect copyrights.

Thanks to all for your co operation.

For additional clarification, Flickr.com guidelines on image usage (from Flickr) can be found here - http://www.flickr.com/guidelines.gne

As yet, we do not know if we will EVER get back the many thousands of photos that have been inserted from flickr sites, around the world, on the various SSC Forums.
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #34
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

We have just had a message from flickr . . .

Quote:
Quote:

We're working with the admins of SSC. As an act of good faith we're going to remove the block. I'll be getting more info to SSC to hopefully help stop this problem from happening in the future.

For those of you that are following this here though there were a couple of issues this time. A lot of people were posting the original image and not linking back. This uses quite a bit more bandwidth in most cases and doesn't have the link back as we ask. The best and most important thing you can do is please have people link back to the photo page and it's best to use the large or other size most of the time. Linking back is even easier than before since now we actually include the BBCode in the share menu.

Thanks

Edit to add: We've removed the block but it is not immediate. It takes a few hours for the change to propagate throughout all the servers.

So, over the course of the next few hours, all photos should return!

BUT, we all need to follow the guidance on copyright and linking back.

If more information is received about this subject, I will immediately pass it on.
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #35
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

There is a problem with "searches" on SSC at the moment. You will probably have noticed this if you have searched "other posts by a user", as it (until recently) only found posts up to the end of March. It is finding things up to about 9th April now, but still isn't up to date.

This situation applies to ALL searches, at the moment and for the forseeable future.

It is being worked on.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:42 AM   #36
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

To draw your attention to the latest SSC Announcement . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu
IF YOU ENTERED YOUR LOGIN / PASSWORD IN A POP-UP BOX...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you opened a thread, and got a pop-up asking for a login/password, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY

The only time you will ever enter your login/password on SkyscraperCity is via a webpage, you will never receive a pop-up asking for your login/password.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #37
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

We may only have three projects on this North East England Communal Area of our forum (as at July 16th 2011) but there should be more to come . . .

Anyway, I have set up a Development Summary for the communal area (to enable a quick look at all live projects) as all four of our City-led forums have got one!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1419366
Old August 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #38
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I am trying to encourage the use of this 'Communal Area' of our North East England Sub Forum (advertising it on the "Forum Issues" area of SSC, etc) but I have had to (in the interests of consistency) today transfer one of our three 'Project Threads' from here, into the Newcastle Metro Area part of the forum, as it is in an area that is covered by Newcastle.

Below is a copy of my post about this, from the Admin Thread on the Newcastle Forum, of earlier today . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; 27th August 2011
Some of you may have noticed a new 'Project Thread' here on the Newcastle Forum.

It is actually a "transfer in" from the North East England Communal Area of the forum.

Logically, this Project Thread should be managed on the Newcastle Forum (rather than in the 'Communal Area') as we cover South Northumberland, as far North as Morpeth!

Northumbria Police Headquarters | Ponteland | Various | Proposed
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1419340

ALSO,

A few 'discussion posts' for the Ponteland Area (where the Police HQ is) had been included on the Northumberland - Developments thread, in the Communal Area of the Forum.

Those posts have also been transferred into the Newcastle Forum, into a new one of our 'Area Developments' threads . . .

Ponteland & Darras Hall Area - Developments
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1436657

Sadly, that means that our "Development Summary" now only has TWO project threads listed on it.

Hopefully others projects will emerge in the future, in some of the various Geographical Areas covered by this 'Communal Area' of our Forum.
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #39
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; 15th January 2011
POSTING NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ON THE FORUM / QUOTING CONTENT / GIVING APPROPRIATE CREDIT.

Please read the below and try to follow these general guidelines.

(1) SSC (Moderators) are required to delete any copyrighted content when pointed out, and this has already been discussed a fair number of times in this thread, in relation to PHOTOS. The guidelines and procedures in relation to photos are now (mostly) being adhered to (links and credit given to websites, etc).

(2) We NOW need to “put our house in order” regarding the posting of newspaper articles.

(3) Posting whole news articles should NOT be done.

(4) Posting of shortened versions of news articles, normally just the first few paragraphs, CAN be done.

(5) At the bottom of your posted excerpts from the article, please (as with photos) ALWAYS provide a link back to the article. This would lead readers on to where the 'full article' is, if they wish to read it.

(6) Sometimes, the site you are posting from gives you the link automatically, other times you will need to ‘copy and paste’ it yourself.

(7) As ever, please drop me a ‘PM’ or post on this thread, if you would like to discuss things further.

Cheers,
NH.

The above subject is currently under active discussion on one of the "Moderator-only" Forums of SSC, as the required guidelines are not always being followed on some SSC Forums, around the world.

While participating in that discussion, I realised that I hadn't mentioned anything about this on our forums, since January this year.

One thing that is starting to "slip" is the LENGTH of the quoted content.

It is (now) sometimes getting to be too long.

If you think of your post as really only being the "introduction" to the article that you are posting, then you will not go too far wrong!

Generally not too many more than '100 words' should be quoted, followed by a statement such as Read More, and then the link back to the actual article.

This would put your post into the spirit of the copywright regulations on quoting content.

Notice also that there is STILL an "SSC Announcement" about this very subject at the top of each forum page, so it is important that we are as careful as we possibly can be with this.

Thanks,

NH
29th August 2011
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #40
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; 15th January 2011
POSTING NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ON THE FORUM / QUOTING CONTENT / GIVING APPROPRIATE CREDIT.

Please read the below and try to follow these general guidelines.

(1) SSC (Moderators) are required to delete any copyrighted content when pointed out, and this has already been discussed a fair number of times in this thread, in relation to PHOTOS. The guidelines and procedures in relation to photos are now (mostly) being adhered to (links and credit given to websites, etc).

(2) We NOW need to “put our house in order” regarding the posting of newspaper articles.

(3) Posting whole news articles should NOT be done.

(4) Posting of shortened versions of news articles, normally just the first few paragraphs, CAN be done.

(5) At the bottom of your posted excerpts from the article, please (as with photos) ALWAYS provide a link back to the article. This would lead readers on to where the 'full article' is, if they wish to read it.

(6) Sometimes, the site you are posting from gives you the link automatically, other times you will need to ‘copy and paste’ it yourself.

(7) As ever, please drop me a ‘PM’ or post on this thread, if you would like to discuss things further.

Cheers,
NH.

The above subject is currently under active discussion on one of the "Moderator-only" Forums of SSC, as the required guidelines are not always being followed on some SSC Forums, around the world.

While participating in that discussion, I realised that I hadn't mentioned anything about this on our forums, since January this year.

One thing that is starting to "slip" is the LENGTH of the quoted content.

It is (now) sometimes getting to be too long.

If you think of your post as really only being the "introduction" to the article that you are posting, then you will not go too far wrong!

Generally not too many more than '100 words' should be quoted, followed by a statement such as Read More, and then the link back to the actual article.

This would put your post into the spirit of the copywright regulations on quoting content.

Notice also that there is STILL an "SSC Announcement" about this very subject at the top of each forum page, so it is important that we are as careful as we possibly can be with this.

Thanks,

NH
29th August 2011

Tags
admin, cumbria, forum changes, hull, newcastle, north east england, sunderland, teesside