daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #81
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

Lakes beauty spot named as one of best places for a picnic in the UK



TARN Hows near Coniston has been named the 11th best picnic spot in the UK, with Fell Foot Park, near Newby Bridge, just missing out on a top 20 place.

An expert panel of parents and travellers created the shortlist based on views, facilities, parking, and accessibility.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....nic_in_the_UK/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #82
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

This from the News & Star,--

Lake District World Heritage status and Euro value could bring tourist boost




Lake District World Heritage status and Euro value could bring tourist boost

Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway mascot La'al Ratty

World Heritage Status and high-value Euros mean a top Cumbrian tourist attraction is expecting bumper demand for the rest of the summer holidays.

Leaders at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway believe that the Lake District's new profile - along with strong Euro to pound conversion rates - mean an influx of visitors.

The long narrow gauge railway is encouraging families to take advantage of a number of initiatives they have on, including "Kids Go Free" Fridays throughout the rest of this month as well as September 1.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/La...c2490340830-ds
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #83
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

Lake District named one of happiest places in UK



THE LAKE District is one of the United Kingdom's happiest places according to a survey carried out by the Serviced Apartments Company (SACO).

The area came second in the poll to find out where Britons have had the happiest holiday memories.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co..../?ref=mrb&lp=4
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #84
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

PODIUM: World Heritage Site status will bring many benefits to the Lake District



I STILL find it difficult to think of the English Lake District as a World Heritage Site. When I walk, talk, or drive, I'm still smiling. Will I ever get over it? I hope not!

Strangely, I'd never considered being at the 41st World Heritage Committee, until I arrived in Krakow. Its global significance shouted from all directions; flags lining the streets, rooftop police marksmen and attending ambassadors and dignitaries from a vast array of countries.

I was humbled and honoured to represent the Lake District and its Partnership. This was the United Nations in operation, coming together to celebrate world assets transcending political and geographic boundaries.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....Lake_District/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:03 PM   #85
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

WALK: one of the Lake District's grandest objects



ACCORDING to Alfred Wainwright, Blencathra is “one of the grandest objects in the Lake District,” writes JOHN EDMONDSON. This circular ramble goes from Mungrisdale and visits this popular fell and three more Wainwrights. The village name, which is pronounced ‘mun-grize-dale,’ means valley where young pigs graze. 'Porklings' no longer run wild on these fell slopes but on a clear day there are spectacular views and the route is easy to follow.

Park at the roadside between Beckside and Mungrisdale and start from the village hall. Map reference NY 363 301, postcode CA11 0XR.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....ndest_objects/
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #86
Talisker
dE/dm
 
Talisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 2,311
Likes (Received): 553

Four people needed rescuing on Scafell after taking drugs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-41377956
__________________
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men - Maurice Herzog
Talisker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #87
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Four people needed rescuing on Scafell after taking drugs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-41377956
Yeah saw this report on local TV----it's the rescuers I feel for,--they are putting there own lives on the line.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #88
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 493

I think this is the best place for this story as all the schemes mentioned are in the Lake District although the report states "for Cumbria", which could imply some of the schemes not mentioned are outwith the National Park.

From the Cumberland News:

"£10m hydro power schemes for Cumbria



Almost 100 years after it was first tried, hydro-electric power is returning to a tourist honeypot.

The old turbine at Watendlath is to be replaced as part of a £10million green power project by the National Trust in Cumbria.

It is one of 10 projects planned for the county over the next three years.

They are part of a national programme to invest £33m in 43 projects to help the charity generate 50 per cent of our energy from renewable energy sources by 202 0

The original Watendlath unit was built in 1920 to provided electricity before the hamlet was served by the National Grid, but has not been operational for decades."


The full story at http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/news...1bca205ed47-ds is well worth a read. It seems logical to use the plentiful running water to be found in Cumbria to generate electricity on a smallish scale without the expense of dams.

Ever the inquisitive sort, I went hunting around online and found this interesting article from The National Trust about the Hause Gill scheme above Honister.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bor...o-power-scheme
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #89
denm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,508
Likes (Received): 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post
I think this is the best place for this story as all the schemes mentioned are in the Lake District although the report states "for Cumbria", which could imply some of the schemes not mentioned are outwith the National Park.

From the Cumberland News:

"£10m hydro power schemes for Cumbria



Almost 100 years after it was first tried, hydro-electric power is returning to a tourist honeypot.

The old turbine at Watendlath is to be replaced as part of a £10million green power project by the National Trust in Cumbria.

It is one of 10 projects planned for the county over the next three years.

They are part of a national programme to invest £33m in 43 projects to help the charity generate 50 per cent of our energy from renewable energy sources by 202 0

The original Watendlath unit was built in 1920 to provided electricity before the hamlet was served by the National Grid, but has not been operational for decades."


The full story at http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/news...1bca205ed47-ds is well worth a read. It seems logical to use the plentiful running water to be found in Cumbria to generate electricity on a smallish scale without the expense of dams.

Ever the inquisitive sort, I went hunting around online and found this interesting article from The National Trust about the Hause Gill scheme above Honister.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bor...o-power-scheme

Makes good sense to me,--making good use of Natural resources seems like a good scheme,---cheers.
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #90
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 493

From the Times and Star

"£100,000 fundraising appeal launched to help fix popular Scafell Pike paths



An appeal has been launched to raise £100,000 to help ‘fix’ England’s highest mountain as part of a national campaign.

The Fix the Fells project, which repairs and maintains upland paths throughout the Lake District, wants to raise the money for work on Scafell Pike.

The appeal is part of the Mend Our Mountains: Make One Million campaign, a national scheme led by The British Mountaineering Council which hopes to raise £1 million for Britain’s 15 national parks.

The mountain is under pressure from the number of visitors and severe weather, with erosion a constant problem."


Full story at http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/1...f59badeb4bb-ds
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #91
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 493

This one could be controversial.

From the Cumberland & Westmorland Gazette:

"Plans for Thirlmere zip wire revealed

A PLANNING application has been submitted for eight zip wires at Thirlmere and a major series of cycleway improvements.

The proposal seeks to allow an estimated 66,000 visitors a year to fly over the reservoir on zip wires measuring 3,280ft (1,000m) long, and 3,937ft (1,200m) long.

Participants would take off 280m up on the eastern side and travel to the western shore. They would then be transported 357 metres up the western side below Fisher Crag, and return by zip wires to the eastern side above the A591.

The application has been submitted to the Lake District National Park Authority by agents representing Mike Turner, managing director of Tree Top Trek, Brockhole.

The business would be based at Swirls car park. It would require a small extension to the toilets to create a reception area and changing facility, along with 65 additional car parking spaces."


Full story at http://www.cwherald.com/a/stories/pl...ed.479533.html
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #92
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 493

The repair work after Storm Desmond continues.

Despite it being opposite the Mungrisdale Village Hall car park I had never used the previous bridge, all my walks in the area using different routes onto and off the fells.

From the Cumberland News:

"Lake District bridge breakthrough after Storm Desmond



Flood recovery work across the Lake District has reached an important milestone.

The National Park is celebrating its 50th bridge repair, with the project running ahead of schedule.

Rangers who are carrying out the work updated funders at Mungrisdale, near Caldbeck, where the 50th bridge has been completed.

The Rural Payments Agency (RPA) is providing £3m towards the national park's Routes to Resilience programme.

Routes to Resilience was set up after an estimated £5.8million of damages were caused to the Public Right of Way network by Storm Desmond almost two years ago in December 2015."


Full story, including more pictures and a video at http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/news...b4a3e94468f-ds
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #93
madannie
The loony on the Bus
 
madannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 582
Likes (Received): 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post
This one could be controversial.

From the Cumberland & Westmorland Gazette:

"Plans for Thirlmere zip wire revealed

A PLANNING application has been submitted for eight zip wires at Thirlmere and a major series of cycleway improvements.

The proposal seeks to allow an estimated 66,000 visitors a year to fly over the reservoir on zip wires measuring 3,280ft (1,000m) long, and 3,937ft (1,200m) long.

Participants would take off 280m up on the eastern side and travel to the western shore. They would then be transported 357 metres up the western side below Fisher Crag, and return by zip wires to the eastern side above the A591.

The application has been submitted to the Lake District National Park Authority by agents representing Mike Turner, managing director of Tree Top Trek, Brockhole.

The business would be based at Swirls car park. It would require a small extension to the toilets to create a reception area and changing facility, along with 65 additional car parking spaces."


Full story at http://www.cwherald.com/a/stories/pl...ed.479533.html
As expected, the planned attraction has not gone down well.

From the News and Star

"Zip wire plans criticised by charity



Cumbrian firm Treetop Trek unveiled its vision to create a new attraction, dubbed Thirlmere Activity Hub, in July.

It would feature two zip lines and an 18km-long family-friendly cycle way and would be located within the managed forestry around Thirlmere, with the lines stretching from one side of the lake to the other.

Friends of the Lake District believes the application is at odds with planning policies to protect the landscape and promote tourism.

It also expressed concerned over traffic and visitor management and said the project would impact on the 'beauty and tranquility' of the Thirlmere Valley and set a precedent for more commercial development in the area.

It plans to formally respond to the application before Christmas."


Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Zi...712af9e9e89-ds
__________________

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
cumbria, english lakes, lake district, lakes, north east england, north west england, photos, the lake district

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu