search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England

North East England Tyneside, Wearside, Teesside and Humberside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #21
denm

Likes (Received): 1784

This from the News & Star,--

Workington Reds' Gari Rowntree glad to be back after injury

Workington Reds captain Gari Rowntree says he’s thrilled that his six-month injury hell has come to an end after making his first team return on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old played for an hour against Aspatria before being replaced by youth team star Lamin Cham.

Prior to Tuesday, Rowntree hadn’t featured for the club since a 1-0 win against Matlock in April due to a knee injury.
He missed the back end of last season, including the play-off final defeat against Salford, the whole of pre-season and the start of the current campaign.

The skipper had been taking part in light warm-ups prior to first team games and will continue with his recovery programme.

Rowntree said: “I’m happy with my performance. It was just to test my knee and to see how it felt.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...0aa87b26beb-ds
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #22
denm

Another very good win for Carlisle Utd,----a 3-1 win over Crawley keeps the run going,---and they are Second top of top of the League,--so well done to them and hope they keep it going..

Talisker liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2016, 10:30 AM   #23
denm

Highly-rated centre Perry Singleton joins Town from Barrow Island

1 November 2016 2:20PM

Workington Town have snapped up highly-rated amateur centre Perry Singleton from Barrow Island.

The 22-year-old's glittering amateur career has seen him play for England Community Lions Under-18s, become an ever-present for Cumbria and captain the BARLA Lions Under-23s team on overseas tours.

Town coach Dave Clark said: "When I joined Town, Perry was one of the first on my hit list.
"He is a fast and strong-running centre that can change a game in a moment.

"I know that other clubs have been chasing him, so I’m delighted that he has chosen Town to turn professional.

"He shows great leadership on the pitch when he plays and I know that he’ll be a real handful for the opposition.

"He’s very skilful with the ball in hand and can also play back row. His flexibility will be a real asset to the team."

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...bcd40254df1-ds
Old November 5th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #24
denm

The future of Workington Comets will be revealed soon after a major British speedway revamp

4 November 2016 2:18PM

The future of Workington Comets will be revealed in the coming days after a major revamp of British speedway was announced.

The British Speedway Promoters Association has rebranded the Elite League and Premier League as the Speedway Great Britain Premiership and Championship.

Workington are listed to compete in the Championship, subject to confirmation.
In a statement, the club said: "We have a few things that need to fall in place before we can fully commit to running in 2017, work is going on behind the scenes constantly and we are hopeful of making a formal announcement over the weekend or early next week.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...cfd7412ee6c-ds
Old November 8th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #25
denm

Carlisle Utd's Keith Curle and Jason Kennedy on shortlist for League Two awards

7 November 2016 9:53PM

Record-breaking Carlisle United boss Keith Curle and prolific midfielder Jason Kennedy are both in the running for top League Two awards.

Curle is on the shortlist to be named the division's manager of the month for October.

And free-scoring Kennedy is one of the contenders for the player of the month prize.

Their place on the respective shortlists comes after a flawless month of results by the promotion-chasing Blues.

Curle will be the strong favourite to take the SkyBet managerial prize after guiding United to five straight League Two wins in October.

If the 52-year-old is announced as the winner on Friday it will end a period of more than eight-and-a-half years since United last won a monthly managerial award.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisl...5c385231282-ds

Aylett 67 liked this post
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #26
denm

Carlisle Utd break record with latest victory in controversial Checkatrade Trophy

Eight wins in a row for the first time - as Grainger and Salkeld also enjoy memorable night in front of sparse crowd

9 November 2016 10:47PM

Carlisle Utd 4 Fleetwood Town 2: Carlisle United earned a club record eighth consecutive victory as they saw off Fleetwood in the Checkatrade Trophy.

And further history was made in the controversial competition as Danny Grainger equalled a record by scoring in his sixth successive appearance.

There was also a first senior goal from teenager Cameron Salkeld as Keith Curle's United topped northern group D to progress to the second round.

Yet their feats were watched by only 1,420 fans - just 22 from Fleetwood - as many again stayed away from the revamped Trophy in protest at its involvement of Under-21 clubs from the top two divisions.

On his full debut, midfielder Joe McKee confidently finished a low Grainger cross at the Waterworks End in the 14th minute.

Frotman Charlie Wyke headed a Reggie Lambe cross past keeper Alex Cairns five minutes later.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisl...7547e9f8a5c-ds
Old November 11th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #27
denm

Ellenborough's Brad Fearon signs for Workington Town

10 November 2016 11:21AM

Ellenborough forward Brad Fearon is set to prop up the Workington Town pack next season.

The 6ft 3in player has signed on the dotted line for Town for 2017, as they continue to build a predominantly Cumbrian based side for life in League One.

Fearon was a member of Town boss Dave Clark’s Cumbria Storm team but returned to spend the last couple of seasons at Ellenborough.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...f1628d330f2-ds
Old November 12th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #28
denm

This from the News & Star,---

Braveheart Scots match New Zealand in Workington

Braveheart Scots match New Zealand in Workington

COME ON YOU BRAVEHEARTS: Four youngsters shout their support for Scotland

11 November 2016 11:10PM

Never was the term Bravehearts more apt as Scotland battled to pull off a superb 18-18 draw against New Zealand at Workington's Zebra Claims Stadium.

Workington proved a happy hunting ground for the Scots as superb performances across the park saw them overpower their bigger name rivals in the Four Nations clash.

Danny Brough and Lewis Tierney put in sterling performances and the pack matched the Kiwis, for whom Shaun Johnson ran the show.

Workington Town's Callum Phillips left out of Scotland squad for New Zealand game
Boss Hewson looking for consistency from Workington Reds
Scotland appeal for Cumbrian backing ahead of clash with New Zealand in Workington

New Zealand might be the number one team in the world but last night it was the Scots who took all the plaudits.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/r...63691d6d8e6-ds
Old November 12th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #29
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post

Carlisle Utd's Keith Curle and Jason Kennedy on shortlist for League Two awards

7 November 2016 9:53PM

Record-breaking Carlisle United boss Keith Curle and prolific midfielder Jason Kennedy are both in the running for top League Two awards.

Curle is on the shortlist to be named the division's manager of the month for October.

And free-scoring Kennedy is one of the contenders for the player of the month prize.

Their place on the respective shortlists comes after a flawless month of results by the promotion-chasing Blues.

Curle will be the strong favourite to take the SkyBet managerial prize after guiding United to five straight League Two wins in October.

If the 52-year-old is announced as the winner on Friday it will end a period of more than eight-and-a-half years since United last won a monthly managerial award.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisl...5c385231282-ds
Less than 12 months ago Brunton Park was flooded again and the club, whose league performance was less than stellar at the time, had to play their home games away for 2 months. As in 2005, when the ground was flooded for the first time, Carlisle have a habit of bouncing back.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #30
madannie
The loony on the Bus

Likes (Received): 456

From The Westmorland Gazette:

Quote:
Development of Kendal RUFC's new ground on track for May completion as steel framework is finished

THE NEW £7million home of Kendal RUFC at Mill Field, Shap Road, is beginning to take real shape with developments 'absolutely on track', according to senior figures.

The steel framework of the Black and Ambers' new clubhouse is now in place with the shape of the new building now clearly visible.

Drainage has gone in around the new pitch and work on the 4G training surface will continue over the winter, but the playing surface will not be seeded until spring.

The club did hit a small snag with a telephone pole in the location of the pitch which had to be removed but both director of rugby Steve Whitehead and chairman Stephen Green say work is on schedule.

Kendal expect the handover of their new ground, which could hold up to 5,000 people, to come at the end of May which will see club move from their current Mint Bridge home after more than 90 years.

Mr Green said: "We are all very happy with the way things are progressing. The steel structure is up and a lot of the pre-cast concrete parts are now going in.
More at http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...._is_finished/#

I don't follow rugby union, so I was unaware of this new ground: apparently a move has been planned for many years but the final version was only approved in March 2015.

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
madannie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #31
denm

Suppose the run had to come to an end at some time,---

Newport County 2 Carlisle United 0

12 November 2016 3:37PM

Carlisle United's long unbeaten run was finally ended - by League Two's bottom side.

Josh Sheehan and Rhys Healey scored for Newport as the Blues were beaten for the first time this season.

It was a first defeat in 16 league games for Keith Curle's side as they were well below par at Rodney Parade.
And it was also the first time the promotion-chasing Cumbrians have failed to score in 2016/17.

Sheehan gave struggling County a second-minute lead.

After linking with Jazzi Barnum-Bobb down the right, Sheehan raced into the box to fire home a weak clearance by Macaulay Gillesphey.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisl...dd2b7e45ec9-ds
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #32
madannie
The loony on the Bus

Is there really a footballer with the name Jazzi Barnum-Bobb?

It had to end eventually, I guess. Impressive though it was there were too many draws in the league (7 in 15 games before yesterday's defeat) which has left them some way behind Plymouth Argyle.

Showing my age as well, in that I read the report and wondered why Newport County weren't playing at Somerton Park (I used to know all the football ground names off by heart and they have stuck, even though quite a few have long since been replaced)

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
Old November 14th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #33
denm

Quote:
Originally Posted by madannie View Post

Is there really a footballer with the name Jazzi Barnum-Bobb?

It had to end eventually, I guess. Impressive though it was there were too many draws in the league (7 in 15 games before yesterday's defeat) which has left them some way behind Plymouth Argyle.

Showing my age as well, in that I read the report and wondered why Newport County weren't playing at Somerton Park (I used to know all the football ground names off by heart and they have stuck, even though quite a few have long since been replaced)
Aye that age thing ---it catches us all out ---but the name you mentioned,---there are some really good names in Sport these days,---one I think is a cracking name is,---Billy Twelvetrees,--he is a Rugby player,---cheers.
Old November 14th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #34
denm

Matt Williamson signs for Workington Comets speedway team for 2017

12 November 2016 11:36AM

Rising star Matt Williamson is Workington Comets’ first signing for the 2017 SGB Championship season.

The youngster has enjoyed a terrific year, significantly improving his average to 3.67 with Workington and establishing himself as a formidable National League No1 with Belle Vue.

As a result he scooped the awards for Most Improved Average and Most Bonus Points at the Comets’ end-of-season do last week.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...29813309017-ds
Old November 15th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #35
denm

Lots of chances for Workington Reds but just one goal

14 November 2016 9:16AM

Workington Reds boss Derek Townsley admitted they should have been more clinical against Corby Town despite winning 1-0 on Saturday.

Reds had the majority of possession and created plenty of opportunities but failed to find the back of the net after Scott Allison’s opener.

Corby were restricted to the odd chance on the break but they didn’t have a real shot on goal until the 67th minute.
ownsley said: “It was comfortable in that Aaron Taylor didn’t really have a save to make, or maybe one.

“But we were crying out for that second goal just to give us a little bit of breathing space

“If there was one criticism today then it would be that we were not clinical enough in front of goal. But I think it would be unfair to them as I think, as a group, they worked their socks off.

"I said I was pleased they got the win and they got the reward for all their effort because I think it would have been cruel if we hadn’t taken the three points.”

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...08e9e24c8e1-ds
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #36
denm

World Cup pitch provider lays new pitches in Cumbria

THREE Cumbrian sports venues have new artificial pitches supplied by the company

that is providing the playing surface for the 2018 World Cup final.

SIS Pitches, of Maryport, has installed synthetic pitches at Lillyhall's Lakes College, Whitehaven Amateur FC and Richard Rose Central Academy in Carlisle.

The three sites all had pitches laid ready for the new season and school term.

The move marks a boost for local sport clubs with increased participation and facility improvements high on the agenda.

Whitehaven AFC's renovation is part of a half-a-million- pound project that aims to help increase participation in girls' football by more than 70 per cent.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/la...92536e4a3fc-ds
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #37
denm

Workington Comets sign Danish former Scunthorpe and Berwick ace Thomas Jorgensen

18 November 2016 10:44AM

Workington Comets have signed Danish racer Thomas Jorgensen.

Jorgensen is Comets' second signing for the rebranded Championship next season after Matt Williamson committed to a third year at Derwent Park last Friday.

The former Scunthorpe and Berwick ace has been a long-term target for Comets' promotion and joins on a 7.45 average, leaving Workington 28.97 points for their remaining quintet.
Club owner Laura Morgan said: "We've looked at him the last couple of years because we really like him, he goes well around Workington and we think he has a lot of potential.

"We almost did a deal with him last year but, at the last minute, he decided he'd stay with Berwick.

"I'm aware Thomas has wanted to come to Workington and that makes a difference to me.

"He'll no doubt be in a few people's teams or wishlists for next year but I don't think too many people will be expecting him so it's a nice surprise."

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/w...b448083b172-ds
Old November 18th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #38
madannie
The loony on the Bus

From the News and Star:

Quote:
Football complex due to open in Carlisle with 20 new jobs

A new £2m football complex that is creating 20 jobs is poised to open its doors next week.

The launch of SoccerWorld has led to a revamp of the old gasworks site on Rome Street for a new centre featuring six five-a-side pitches and one seven-a-side pitch.

They are flood lit and all-weather – and are ready to be used by footballers of all abilities.

Boss Ian McDermott will run the centre with his brother Barry.

They already run SoccerWorld sites in Glasgow, Dundee and Newcastle.

The opening constitutes a massive investment in the local sports scene in Carlisle.

Mr McDermott said: “We are looking forward to opening in Carlisle and making some new friends.

“Our football pitches are purpose-built.

“We like the location as it’s really near the city centre and there’s plenty of parking.
Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/la...a99557ed54a-ds

Not the most picturesque part of Carlisle, on the old gasworks site and opposite Rome Street recycling facility, but I suppose it is a good use of contaminated land.

Madannie's Tram Photos

denm liked this post
Old November 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #39
denm

Carlisle Utd 3 Exeter City 2

19 November 2016 5:07PM

Charlie Wyke struck a 97th minute winner to cap an incredible late fightback for Carlisle United.

The striker scored his second of the game deep into injury-time to clinch a dramatic comeback win for Keith Curle's side.

United seemed to be heading for a second straight defeat with just two minutes of normal time left.
But sub Shaun Miller headed an equaliser before Wyke's last-gasp goal.

Sub Jamie Devitt was sent off in the final seconds, while Exeter had a 100th-minute goal disallowed as keeper Christy Pym fouled Mark Gillespie as he bundled the ball in.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisl...3fd11604881-ds
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #40
denm

WWE star Finn Balor in Egremont

22 November 2016 6:16PM

A wrestling world champion delivered a special masterclass to potential stars of the future while visiting an old friend in Egremont.

WWE superstar Finn Balor – who was crowned the company's first Universal Champion in August – held a training session for a group of students at Johnny Moss' School of Hard Knocks and Hammerlocks.

Moss helped train Balor – real name Fergal Devitt – in his early days and they once teamed up together at an event at Whitehaven Civic Hall in 2004.

WWE star Finn Balor in Egremont
SHARE THIS STORY
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to TumblrShare to PinterestShare to LinkedInShare to Google+Share to More
22 November 2016 6:16PM

A wrestling world champion delivered a special masterclass to potential stars of the future while visiting an old friend in Egremont.

WWE superstar Finn Balor – who was crowned the company's first Universal Champion in August – held a training session for a group of students at Johnny Moss' School of Hard Knocks and Hammerlocks.

Moss helped train Balor – real name Fergal Devitt – in his early days and they once teamed up together at an event at Whitehaven Civic Hall in 2004.

"It was fantastic," said Moss. "From day one he said he would come here and after two years he's made it. We go back a long way, I was his original coach and he used to come from Ireland to train with me in Kent.

"We're close friends and talk a lot. He's an idol to a lot of these boys so it's nice he took the time to pass on his wisdom."

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/WW...c4c028b29e6-ds

Tags
cumbria, north east england, north west england, sport