SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Chennai International Airport | MAA

8M views 26K replies 939 participants last post by  ramkumar14385 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some images of new terminal building for MAA not sure if this is final or not but looks good. Enjoy..

Copyrights:
Hargreaves Associates

____

IU's edit:

Project Information:
Chennai's airport's is currently being upgraded in light of the booming air traffic in the Indian aviation. The modernization and expansion of the airport will be done by mid 2011.

The upgradation plan includes the construction of a new domestic terminal, expansion and renovation of the existing Anna International terminal, renovation of the existing domestic terminal, extension of the secondary runway, construction of a new parallel runway and cargo terminal, taxiways and parking bays amongst others.

Click on the renders to view large

The new Domestic Terminal:

A team of architects comprising Frederic Schwartz Architects, Hargreaves Associates, and Gensler based in the United States and Creative Group, New Delhi was selected to design the new terminal.

With the addition of the new terminal, expansion of the international terminal and existing domestic terminal, the Chennai International Airport will be able to handle 16 million passengers/annum by 2011.

The design of the terminal is organised around “two lush sustainable gardens” and the wing-like roofs which helps collect rainwater and become part of the garden.

The new terminal will be spread across 70,000 sq m.

Walkthrough video:

The new terminal would have 72 passenger check-in counters.

See less See more
1 16
#2,502 ·
I think wlbkng is talking about a one off case. There was always a hindi and tamil person around at the airport.

@mohanair, lol..both the airline(air france) and airport are tagaradabba. One would find it difficult in berlin too.
Well said friends. I have realised the same thing. Only after seeing them I infact made it a point to speak only in tamil to tamilians. Now..how many of you will join me?:cheers:

#2,503 · (Edited)
Well said friends. I have realised the same thing. Only after seeing them I infact made it a point to speak only in tamil to tamilians. Now..how many of you will join me?:cheers:
I dont see tamil people especially in customs security check. But it couldn't be a problem for me as i know hindi. But really terrible for our Tamil Speakers especially labourers who dont know when english even very few security speak some english.

#2,504 ·
I think wlbkng is talking about a one off case. There was always a hindi and tamil person around at the airport.

@mohanair, lol..both the airline(air france) and airport are tagaradabba. One would find it difficult in berlin too.
Very unfortunate moment for me. As I said another CISF guy came and helped me. What hurts more is that even in Chennai airport, they employ some people who are not trained in Tamil.

#2,507 ·
Connections to East Asia

Thanks bonoslack7, I just got to see the timings and from HK to Chennai: flights arrives at 01:45am.

I am annoyed by the departure time: 3:15am.:bash: Why does this sole flight have to be so early in the morning? I feel there's potential for other times also.

Like to hear from forumers on if this route should be increased on during peak holiday seasons. I have always wondered why Jet or Kingfisher don't have intl' flights from chennai to US with a stopover in China or SE Asia. With certainty we can say lots of people from US (not just Indians but business people also) to Chennai (and from there to other parts of TN). So more flights to and from HK/Shanghai, the better.
Slightly different topic, but I am curious to know what do you guys think about the potential for connections between Chennai and East Asia (I am thinking of HK, Shanghai, and Seoul)? I'll admit that I have an interest here since I (and many other Indians/Tamils) come from California, US.

Thoughts? :poke:

#2,508 ·
Slightly different topic, but I am curious to know what do you guys think about the potential for connections between Chennai and East Asia (I am thinking of HK, Shanghai, and Seoul)? I'll admit that I have an interest here since I (and many other Indians/Tamils) come from California, US.

Thoughts? :poke:
There is already a Cathay flight between HKG and MAA.But personally I would like to see AI or atleast an Indian carrier also doing this.To BKK I guess AI has one service and Thai too. To Seoul Incheon(ICN) there had been much discussion here already but no response from any of the Korean or Indian airlines(naturally deaf AI).With ever increasing indian investment in Korean automobile industry and with Hyundai in Chennai and many more Korean intersts here we should have had a connection long before atleast 5x a week.But I think we should voice our suggestions to the respective airlines as some one has already done(claps).Thats the most plausible thing that any of us can do.No use in just chit chatting and lamenting over it here.

#2,509 ·
Additional flights to east asia

There is already a Cathay flight between HKG and MAA.But personally I would like to see AI or atleast an Indian carrier also doing this.To BKK I guess AI has one service and Thai too. To Seoul Incheon(ICN) there had been much discussion here already but no response from any of the Korean or Indian airlines(naturally deaf AI).With ever increasing indian investment in Korean automobile industry and with Hyundai in Chennai and many more Korean intersts here we should have had a connection long before atleast 5x a week.But I think we should voice our suggestions to the respective airlines as some one has already done(claps).Thats the most plausible thing that any of us can do.No use in just chit chatting and lamenting over it here.
I agree with you on the Korean connection. I sent a suggestion to Korean Air for a flight from Seoul to Chennai:).They already have a cargo flight to chennai, but I don't think they will respond unless people email them in mass numbers. Ditto for HK Airlines, whom I also emailed. Also, an international flight like this needs AAI's or aviation ministry's approval? Then, I think we know where the real problem is. I think there needs to be at least two choices for a stopover.

#2,510 ·

Short translation:

* Airport works are getting delayed and all works are expected to be complete only by March 2012 against initial deadline of Jan 2011. (Officials are expecting it to complete on June 2011)

* The delays are attributed to defence land handover delays by MoD, design approval delays by AAI, Funding constraints due to cost escalations etc.

#2,512 ·
Short translation:

* Airport works are getting delayed and all works are expected to be complete only by March 2012 against initial deadline of Jan 2011. (Officials are expecting it to complete on June 2011)

* The delays are attributed to defence land handover delays by MoD, design approval delays by AAI, Funding constraints due to cost escalations etc.
Its very unfortunate the step motherly treatment given to Chennai airport. :eek:hno:

I was eagerly waiting to experience the new international terminal when I visit Chennai in June. :down:

#2,513 ·
^^ I would say that in this case, it is not right to blame CG to the core. TN Govt should also be held responsible. They blocked privatization of the airport and made it run through the bureaucratic mess that it is now. If it had been privatized, the works would have been done a long time ago because the private companies would otherwise lose money.

#2,514 ·
I saw Delhi airport about 6 months ago. Was amazed by its size while taxiing - it goes on and on like the one in Frankfurt.

When we had money to build Delhi and Bangalore airports, what is the problem when it comes to chennai airport. :bash:

]
[B]
Short translation:

* The delays are attributed to defence land handover delays by MoD, design approval delays by AAI, Funding constraints due to cost escalations etc.[/B][/QUOTE]

#2,516 ·
State against packing off Madras Flying Club

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ff-Madras-Flying-Club/articleshow/7448028.cms

The 80-year-old Madras Flying Club (MFC) is again caught up in hassles as the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has issued a notice to vacate the land immediately for the ongoing airport expansion works.

MFC secretary K Sebastian Joseph said the institution has got a notice from AAI to vacate the campus in the airport premises for the straightening of Bravo' taxi track used by aircraft to reach the Guindy-end of the main runway for take off. The taxiway running parallel to the main runway takes a sharp turn north and runs close to the main runway to avoid the apron of the old airport terminal, now used as a cargo terminal.

"A high-level meeting of officials of the state government and AAI in October, 2010 had agreed that the flying club will be maintained on the airport premises till we get an alternative location," said Joseph. The latest move, he added, is the handiwork of a few vested interests to kill the 80-year-old club.

But the state government is reportedly backing MFC and it has taken a strong position that the club need not vacate the premises until it gets a suitable place and infrastructure.

Meanwhile, a senior AAI official maintained that the proposed Bravo' was 10 ft from the MFC campus in its preliminary design and only a part of the lawn was expected to be taken for the straightening work. Refusing to comment on the issue, a senior AAI official said that the Bravo' straightening is to be taken up immediately after the completion of works of a parallel taxi track on the western side of main runway. Clearing this bottleneck will be crucial, according to the AAI official, especially when link ways, parallel taxiway for secondary runway, the extended secondary runway, more aprons and parking bays are completed.

MFC officials also point out that the flying club cannot be shifted from the airport immediately as the state government's aircraft and chopper are being kept in its hangar. "The state government is keen on developing this flying club, which it already gives financial subsidy for routine operations," said Joseph.

#2,517 ·

* Works for New Greenfield airport at Sriperumbadur expected to start after elections
* Severe protest made by the local villagers with the help of ADMK and PMK in the past
* 4500 acres are estimated to be acquired and 42 villages are expected to be affected
* Fearing vote bank, govt temporarily froze the plan and it is expected to start again after elections

#2,518 ·
* Works for New Greenfield airport at Sriperumbadur expected to start after elections
* Severe protest made by the local villagers with the help of ADMK and PMK in the past
* 4500 acres are estimated to be acquired and 42 villages are expected to be affected
* Fearing vote bank, govt temporarily froze the plan and it is expected to start again after elections
As usual Amma and Maramvetti Ayyiah are playing politics over the future of Chennai. May be they are unhappy that they cannot get something from the private entities who will be building the airport. :bash:

With Maran at helm of Spicejet, I am expecting a worldclass airport with connectivity to all over the world from the new greenfield airport.

#2,519 ·
As usual Amma and Maramvetti Ayyiah are playing politics over the future of Chennai. May be they are unhappy that they cannot get something from the private entities who will be building the airport. :bash:

With Maran at helm of Spicejet, I am expecting a worldclass airport with connectivity to all over the world from the new greenfield airport.
How do you know MK and others will not benefit from the greenfield. Who knows, they might have acres of land there and make a killing during land acquisition comes in.

The thing is whatever DMK does, ADMK will oppose it. Whatever ADMK does, DMK will oppose it. :bash:

#2,520 ·
Whatever it's, this project will not be conceived till the elections. After election, if DMK comes to power this will be materializing. On the other hand, if ADMK comes to power, i don't think they will continue with this site, as they have opposed it. Are there any alternate places suggested by ADMK? (more interested in knowing, coz it looks to be the most likely case)