SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Chennai International Airport | MAA

8M views 26K replies 939 participants last post by  90sKid 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some images of new terminal building for MAA not sure if this is final or not but looks good. Enjoy..

Copyrights:
Hargreaves Associates

____

IU's edit:

Project Information:
Chennai's airport's is currently being upgraded in light of the booming air traffic in the Indian aviation. The modernization and expansion of the airport will be done by mid 2011.

The upgradation plan includes the construction of a new domestic terminal, expansion and renovation of the existing Anna International terminal, renovation of the existing domestic terminal, extension of the secondary runway, construction of a new parallel runway and cargo terminal, taxiways and parking bays amongst others.

Click on the renders to view large

The new Domestic Terminal:

A team of architects comprising Frederic Schwartz Architects, Hargreaves Associates, and Gensler based in the United States and Creative Group, New Delhi was selected to design the new terminal.

With the addition of the new terminal, expansion of the international terminal and existing domestic terminal, the Chennai International Airport will be able to handle 16 million passengers/annum by 2011.

The design of the terminal is organised around “two lush sustainable gardens” and the wing-like roofs which helps collect rainwater and become part of the garden.

The new terminal will be spread across 70,000 sq m.

Walkthrough video:

The new terminal would have 72 passenger check-in counters.

See less See more
1 16
#6 ·
the terminal building's gonna be 1.5 million sqft..........which is reaallly big!!!

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/070828chennai.asp

1.5 million sq.ft. is bigger than the now-in-construction Beijing Capital International Airport's new terminal.....i think it's a typo. it would make much more sense if it was 150 thousand sq.ft. to start with and then expanded in later phases, which is how the Del, Blr, Hyd, and Mum airports are being planned. but by any standards, i really doubt the feasibility of a 1.5 mill sq.ft. terminal.

#7 ·
1.5 million sq.ft. is bigger than the now-in-construction Beijing Capital International Airport's new terminal.....i think it's a typo. it would make much more sense if it was 150 thousand sq.ft. to start with and then expanded in later phases, which is how the Del, Blr, Hyd, and Mum airports are being planned. but by any standards, i really doubt the feasibility of a 1.5 mill sq.ft. terminal.
i don't think it's a typo....but your reasoning makes sense.....

p.s.: i know wikipedia is not a reliable source, but in the following link it describes the beijing airport's u/c terminal 3 as having a floor area of 9 million sqft upon completion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Capital_International_Airport

#8 · (Edited)
pding - note the units - it is sq. ft., not sq. m. Beijing's T3 has a planned area of 0.9 million sq. m., which is about 8 million sq. ft.

BTW, the linked article mentions 781,460 sq. ft. for Chennai's new domestic terminal, less than 1/10th Beijing T3's size. But the following quote from AAI's chief Ramalingam suggests that it will be about 140,000 sq. m. in size, i.e. ~1.25 million sq. ft.

http://www.theindiastreet.com/2007/08/updated-pictures-of-new-chennai.html

Designs of terminal buildings and expansion of existing ones have already been approved," said Ramalingam of AAI. For Chennai, the consultants are Creative Group with Frederic Schwartz and Gensler of the US. “In Chennai, a new terminal building will be constructed and that along with the existing terminal will take passenger capacity from10 million annually to 30 million by 2010. This development work would make the airport adequate passenger handling capacity till 2015-16. The new terminal building will measure more than 140,000 sq mts. In addition to that there will be 140 check-in counters, 60 immigration counters, 7 security gates (3 international, 4 domestic), 4 conveyor belts and 7 aerobridges.”

#9 ·
pding - note the units - it is sq. ft., not sq. m. Beijing's T3 has a planned area of 0.9 million sq. m., which is about 8 million sq. ft.

BTW, the linked article mentions 781,460 sq. ft. for Chennai's new domestic terminal, less than 1/10th Beijing T3's size. But the following quote from AAI's chief Ramalingam suggests that it will be about 140,000 sq. m. in size, i.e. ~1.25 million sq. ft.

http://www.theindiastreet.com/2007/08/updated-pictures-of-new-chennai.html

****....this is the second time that i got these units mixed up....anyways, thanks Sridhar.

#10 ·
This is in response to the concerns that Sridhar (or someone else?!) raised in another thread about the new terminal design - that there isn't much room for construction of more gates, say with two concourses extending on either side of like fingers.

Many airports now want to have parallel concourses which are connected underground (with walkways and trains) for people movement instead of the hand and fingers model of terminal and concourses. This is because the hand and fingers model slows down the flight movement on ground and reduces maximum utilization of the gates. The parallel concourses model speeds up flight movement with flights entering from one side and exiting on the other. This is the model that airports such as Denver and Atlanta use successfully.

This coupled with two or more parallel runways on either side of the terminal + concourses cluster makes for very efficient airplane movement.

So, if they want to build more concourses in Chennai, they can do it this way, but I'm not sure if there is sufficient space between the terminal and the runway to build more concourses. If I remember correctly, there is just a very small apron between the current terminal and the main runway.

#11 ·
There isn't sufficient space in the apron to build remote concourses. That is not a viable option in this case either. Also, this is all Chennai is getting for the moment. Somebody said that there is a new international terminal planned. Not true, at least for now.

#17 ·
Thnx Sun.

^ ^ What do u mean... that design looks super awesome to me...
i hope they keep it white thogu

Those pics were of Dubai airport that have been circulating on the net after being associated with several other indian airports...

#19 · (Edited)
Chennai international Airport - new Terminal

Schwartz/Gensler (USA) with Creative Group (India) wins competition to design new air terminal in Chennai, India

The New York team led by Frederic Schwartz Architects and Gensler with Hargreaves Associates and India-based Creative Group was unanimously selected by the Indian Government to design a new International and Domestic Terminal at the Chennai International Airport in Chennai, India. The design of terminal, which has a Saarinen like quality to its sweeping rooflines, organizes passenger circulation around two sustainable gardens. Dramatic hovering free span wing-like roofs, over 300 meters long, fold downward to form the garden’s walls delivering rain water during the wet season to a series cisterns and runnels where it is stored for reuse as irrigation during the dry season. Directly connected to the terminal is a new parking garage with a sculptural folding green roof that welcomes travelers with a “green gateway” to the terminal. The new terminal buildings measure more than 140,000 meters. When completed in 2015, they will increase passenger capacity from 10 million to 30 million annually. The project, which includes design of the new terminals and expansion of the existing ones, is estimated to cost $750 million USD.