daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which Manchester tall building will start construction first?
Owen St (Phase 1) (200.5m)(122m) 28 25.23%
St John's Place (165m) 1 0.90%
Trinity Fields (152m)(100m)(96m)(83m) 2 1.80%
Exchange Court (130m) 2 1.80%
River St (125m) 2 1.80%
10-12 Whitworth (117m) 2 1.80%
Norton Court (110.3m) 5 4.50%
Angel Gardens (106m) 61 54.95%
Oxygen Tower (103m) 1 0.90%
Axis (96m) 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #1
VDB
Strong and Stable

Likes (Received): 25224

Which Manchester tall building will start construction first? (Poll)

A really good idea for a poll from Lookin Up, who also correctly pointed out that we haven't had a Poll on the forum in literally years. They're too fun to ignore, so expect more (rhymes).

Posting this on the main thread mainly to get exposure, when the poll closes I'll get a mod to move it to Exchange Square.

So which tall building proposal will start construction first? Remember to post why!!

Lookin Up, heatonparkincakes liked this post
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #2
PJH2015

Likes (Received): 856

Was almost tempted to vote for Axis, just for the laugh.

i went for Angel Gardens, mainly because they've been doing enabling works for so long on site and the recent announcement that it's got full funding is very promising. It's almost too easy to pick that one when comparing to the rest of the proposals on the poll.

Based on that ominous message on the River Street tower page and the subsequent lack of activity, I fear for that one now.

Slightly odd re-submission of planning permission for Whitworth Street West as well, that'll set that back by a while.
PJH2015 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #3
VDB
Strong and Stable

Yeah I meant to go for Angel Gardens too but I erm clicked Oxygen Tower

To be fair that's not a bad shout either.

Axis is on the poll purely for a laugh to be quite honest. I'm sure we're due another "this is starting construction really soon announcement from the 'developers'?
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #4
hussla
hussla

Likes (Received): 117

I put Owen st more of a wishlist I guess...although the guy I spoke to at the meeting was pretty adamant it would be spades in the ground in June.But realistically Angel Gardens is probably a better shout to start first .
hussla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #5
MarkO

Likes (Received): 255

WOW! Look at them towers go! Good poll-Voldey!
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Manchesterwill

Likes (Received): 361

do you think Angel Gardens being the only option written in italics has subconsciously affected everyone's decision? (I voted for it)
Manchesterwill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #7
VDB
Strong and Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterwill View Post
do you think Angel Gardens being the only option written in italics has subconsciously affected everyone's decision? (I voted for it)
The reason it's in italics is because you voted for it

For instance Oxygen Tower is in italics for me

PJH2015, Charity-Spring, Caiman liked this post
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #8
VDB
Strong and Stable

Now, despite Exchange Court only being released to the public eye yesterday and despite it not having a planning application yet, we would normally come to the conclusion that it will be last to start construction (bar Axis, obviously).

However, the fact that it's a Renaker project sort of tells me that that might overtake Angel Gardens - which has approval, funding and it actually at site clearance stage already - to become the first to start

I wouldn't be surprised anyway
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #9
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

Angel Gardens (106m)

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #10
Lookin Up

Likes (Received): 1944

Nice One Ed, thanks for doing this.

Clear front runner here. My punt also goes for Angel Gardens - it's also the best designed and IMO will have a big impact on the skyline due to it's elevated situation. I predict this will look bigger than even Exchange Court which will (like all Renaker's stuff) be down by the riverside on low ground. Angel Gardens is going to look huuuge from Shudehill.

However Angel Gardens is not Renaker and therefore there is every prospect of a Renaker scheme turning up late and getting it's nose in front. They have a habit of doing that.

An outside chance......River St. If the demolition is really waiting on a closure of the Mancunian Way then it could be first - however - it might have fallen victim to some kind of 'delay' (shall we call it the Axis Curse) as rumoured.
Lookin Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #11
Dandotco

Likes (Received): 4067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Up View Post
Nice One Ed, thanks for doing this.

Clear front runner here. My punt also goes for Angel Gardens - it's also the best designed and IMO will have a big impact on the skyline due to it's elevated situation. I predict this will look bigger than even Exchange Court which will (like all Renaker's stuff) be down by the riverside on low ground. Angel Gardens is going to look huuuge from Shudehill.

However Angel Gardens is not Renaker and therefore there is every prospect of a Renaker scheme turning up late and getting it's nose in front. They have a habit of doing that.

An outside chance......River St. If the demolition is really waiting on a closure of the Mancunian Way then it could be first - however - it might have fallen victim to some kind of 'delay' (shall we call it the Axis Curse) as rumoured.
yup will dominate over cis , even though that has a taller part , the service tower , but angel tower has a higher roof height and on higher ground to cis, exciting !
Dandotco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #12
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29700

I voted Angle Gardens.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #13
jrb
10th February 2008

Just posted this in a reply to Dandotco.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandotco View Post
lost count now of all these towers for manchester, believe it all when i see them rising , although that angel gardens tower oppsite cis looks very promising with funding in place and some kind of (vague?) work going on that site ,,,,, and a completion date of 2017,

it is a bit exciting though for manc, it will only take a couple more 100m+ towers to cement it with the most impressive high rise skyline in the uk outside london imo , if its not getting there already
Renaker currently have 5 towers going up. Cambridge Street(2), No1 Greengate(1), Water Street(1), and Wilburn Street.(1)

I have absolutely no doubt their first 2 Owen Street towers will go up.(43 and 62 stories) I expect the same with Exchange Court.(44 stories)

Apparently Renaker have more sites and towers planned, but it's probably got to the point where they have to build these towers first before building anymore. Saying that, Renaker will finish 3 of their towers this year(Greengate, Wilburn Street, and Cambridge Street), meaning they can move onto the other 3 proposed towers at Owen Street, and their other site at Greengate. Angel Gardens will also go up as it's received founding this week, and it's part of the COOP/Noma master plan.(33 stories) No1 Spinningfields is already going up.(20 stories) The MBS tower is now back on-site after the original construction company went bust.(19 stories) So that's 10 towers either currently going up, or will go up in my opinion

As for the other towers. I fully expect Allied London to build 1 or more of their proposed towers at St John's or Trinity Island.(Vertical Village) I also expect Patrizia Immobilien to build a proposed tower at First Street. They recently bought First Street from ASK. I also expect Bruntwood to built a tower at Circle Square, the former BBC site on Oxford Road. They're a big player in Manchester and have the capital to deliver. Other towers will go up, but I can't say hand on heart which one's.

The one's that probably won't go up are Axis, 10-12 Whitworth Street(?), Norton Court, Assembley(sadly), etc,

Hazarding a guess, I think between 10 and 15 towers will go up in the next 5-10 years in and around Manchester city centre, as long as there isn't an economic crash again.

I haven't touched on Salford Quay.
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #14
VDB
Strong and Stable

Good summary jrb - I'm intrigued as to why you don't think Norton Court is a goer tbh, I always had that down as one of the sure ones.

AJD1984 liked this post
Old February 5th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #15
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1545

Or 10-12 Whitworth St? I'm guessing because we have seen unrealised proposals for the site before?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #16
H0wie72

Likes (Received): 108

Axis
H0wie72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #17
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 10222

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Good summary jrb - I'm intrigued as to why you don't think Norton Court is a goer tbh, I always had that down as one of the sure ones.
I posted this in the City Talk thread in response to jrb's post

Quote:
I would think Norton Court would go up. It is part of the Greengate master plan which is being developed by Ask, Salford and Renaker. I find it difficult to believe that all the other proposals (Select's Embankment West, CitySuites, No 2 Greengate, Exchange Court, 100 & 101 Embankment) will go ahead/start on site yet Norton Court won't.
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #18
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Rightly or wrongly, I'm inclined to think the People behind this proposal are intent on selling it on, rather than developing it themselves.

I did some digging previously. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #19
Charity-Spring
Charity-Spring

Likes (Received): 766

I went for A.G also. Funding,integral piece of the NOMA masterplan,etc. But l would to be pleased if history was to dictate that l had been fatuous in choosing it over Exchange court or the 200m at Owen st. Time will tell but l accord with all on here in my wish to see them built. Renaker are the ones that can say "talk is cheap" to most developers certainly in Manchester, so it is both exciiting and quite possible that they will deliver Greengate's new tallest.
Charity-Spring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 02:34 AM   #20
Jinkies!

Likes (Received): 247

Shockingly, the tower which had funding confirmed a couple of days ago seems to be doing quite well ...
Jinkies! no está en línea   Reply With Quote