daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #1
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 2025

That was the Week, That Was.........

We have scores of threads and each day various snippits of news are posted. I thought a "weekly summary" of the main news items would be useful:....................

So here goes with week 1 - W / E Sunday 8-5-05)

1) Revised scheme for Central Station site to be submitted by Ballymore.
Could include a second tower after dispute with Networkrail Rail has been
resolved.

2) Churchill House, Tithebarn St. major re-cladd and extra 2 floors to be
added to existing 8 floors + 8 storey new build proposed.

3) Planning approval sought for Lime St Station Gateway Tower, a 27
storey tower to replace Concourse house.

4) Walton Group announce plans and imminent start (we shall see) on their
Exchange Flags site. We could have the cities first £2M apartment???
in this scheme.

5) Merseypartnership announce "River of Light "project, where they
propose to install BEACONS along the river and flash Morse code
messages between beacons

6) The restoration of one the finest buildings in the city, The Albany in Old
Hall St. has been completed.

7) We had yet another BLACK friday with 650 job loss`s at Marconi. I hope the site owners NWDA find some replacement hi-tec company`s to keep the existing talents in work.

8) Unlike some of the very sad and twisted reds on this forum ,please accept my congratulations on reaching the final of the champions League.
That should please Mr. Martin S. but the final item of the week will not
9) Mighty Blues finish above Liverpool and gain entry to the Europian Champions League

Last edited by woody; May 19th, 2005 at 01:19 AM. Reason: update
woody no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

Great list for one week Woody. If I'm right, we might be also seeing work starting on Alexandra Tower at last.

By the way, you could have added Liverpool getting through to the Champions League final.
Martin S está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #3
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking How silly of me to forget................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S
By the way, you could have added Liverpool getting through to the Champions League final.
Martin, this thread is for IMPORTANT items only
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6824

Sort it out Woody because I can't be bothered reading back to last Sunday.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Arrow TWTWTW, Week 2 -- W/E 15 May 2005

Sorry for the delay in posting week 2, but only got back late last night from working 6 days in Birmingham,

1) New industrial park for Sandhills within the Atlantic Gateway SIA, could create over 350 jobs gets city backing. The project is being developed by Langtree and will cost £13M and will provide 114,000sq.ft. of office and industrial space.

2) European Commission approve £46M Objective One grant means that the long awaited Kings Dock project can now go ahead. Bovis will start in July on the ARENA , CONFERENCE CENTRE , MULTI-STOREY CAR PARK and PUBLIC PIAZZA. New chief Bob Pattey ( ex NEC Birmingham) is now looking for a "super star "act to mark the opening in 2008. ( Sir Paul or Cilla ? )

3) Beatles Hotel," Hard Days Night" has the £10M backing to enable the conversion of the old Central Building to proceed, the 120 room hotel is due to open in December 2006.

4) Baltic Triangle makes big news this week, a development company wants to build a £600M self contained urban community which could envelope most of the run down area of the Baltic Triangle. The company, WINDSOR DEVELOPMENTS is already building 3 apartment blocks on the old Joseph Lamb site has this week submitted a planning application for a 25 storey tower aimed at families (not the buy to let market). The ultimate aim is to create a community of 5,000 people in up to 3,000 homes.

5) Malmaison Hotel announce a start date for their £24M 130 bed/ 41 apartment 11 storey development in Princes Dock. Contractors AMEC will start on the 4th. July.

6) Piling equipment arrives at the ALEXANDRA TOWER site in Princes Dock , start looks imminent.

7) New renderings of a revised tower for the Lime Street Station Gateway project are published. Tower has been reduced from 32 to 28 storey`s and looks like the "eliptical" shape has been retained and is topped off with a "blue halo" at roof level.

8) Final acts for this years SUMMER POPS 2005 to be held at Central Docks for the next 3 years are announced, Van Morrison and Jose Carreras complete a "star studded " line up which includes::: Diana Ross, Will Young, Gabrielle, McFly, Lemar, Paul Weller + many more.
Summer Pops runs from 27th. June to 24th. July.

9) Big Brother has arrived, the CITYSAFE scheme has taken 9 months to install 220 top-of-the-range CCTV cameras across the city centre and on all main routes into the city, the aim is to make the city one of the safest in Europe. The new system replaces 20 black and white cameras and has already logged over 5,000 incidents which lead to 300 arrests.

10) The BIG DIG ,part of the CCMS, is again making the front page of the ECHO, all the road works and building work is " killing the city" they moan.
Tough, its going to get even worse when the TRAM builders hit the streets.

Thats all folks , promise Paul D to try harder, u lazy bugger

Last edited by woody; May 21st, 2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #6
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

1) Ah... Langtree, they are the ones involved with the Garden festival site, wonder how those plans are coming along.

Just found this website Langtree, it's a bit rubbish for development info

Last edited by JUXTAPOL; May 18th, 2005 at 12:24 AM.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #7
kung_fuzi

Likes (Received): 2

Nice one Woody.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #8
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Thats all folks , promise Paul D to try harder
You really must Woody because there was no mention of the start on the Cruise Liner Facility next month.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #9
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking I`v lost my crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D
You really must Woody because there was no mention of the start on the Cruise Liner Facility next month.
I am good ,but not that good ,that I can post THIS WEEKS news in LAST WEEKS summary. Get a grip Paul D and try and stay awake
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #10
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!
Likes (Received): 0

Great stuff Woody. Thanks
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Gazzab

Likes (Received): 1

Great job Woody.

I may read your update instead of reading two weeks of posts when I return from my summer hols.

I may be tempted to read all the posts though as there is some funny stuff amongst them.
Gazzab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #12
kung_fuzi

Likes (Received): 2

You'll need two more weeks holiday to catch up.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #13
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking Happy Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzab
Great job Woody.

I may read your update instead of reading two weeks of posts when I return from my summer hols.

I may be tempted to read all the posts though as there is some funny stuff amongst them.
Cheers Gazzab, enjoy your holiday, you will find plenty to read on your return
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:12 AM   #14
Gazzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
Cheers Gazzab, enjoy your holiday, you will find plenty to read on your return
Cheers Woody.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:51 AM   #15
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking Dread ! - This is Liverpool not Preston........

Quote:

You could save yourself all that worry by checking in each day at an internet cafe. Also saves you from withdraw`al symptoms.
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM   #16
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Cheers Woody.

It makes the return more exciting, not knowing what has gone on whils't away.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM   #17
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL
It makes the return more exciting, not knowing what has gone on whils't away.
I came back the other week and there is talk of a Billion pound development at the Baltic Triangle,excellent.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM   #18
Gazzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_fuzi
You'll need two more weeks holiday to catch up.
Oh yes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
You could save yourself all that worry by checking in each day at an internet cafe. Also saves you from withdraw`al symptoms.
I've been thinking about that now that internet cafe's have become cheaper to use. When they first started up, they used to charge £5 an hour. We'll be going to Jersey so I will expect it to be expensive but I'll try and get access maybe twice a week.

I'll be taking my bike so will be able to disappear for a few hours. Best to do it that way as our partners just don't understand that we need our daily fix.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:54 AM   #19
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

TWTWTW, Week 3 w/e 22-5-05

Relatively quite week after a news packed first two weeks:.............

1) John Prescott approves £19M of support to pay for the long awaited CRUISE LINER berth, the project involves a 250metre extension to the landing stage to allow some of the worlds big ships ( QE2-QM2 -CRUISE SHIPS ) to berth. (happy Paul )

2) Liverpool Vision announce a " strict design guidlines" for the continued regeneration of ROPEWALKS, LV are now responsible for phase 2 of the historic areas regeneration and are drawing up a "design blueprint" to advise would be developers of : building use,style and materials etc ,that should be used.

3) English Heritage backs new Lime St Station GATEWAY TOWER, that should help its progress through the planning process.

4) PARADISE PROJECT, moving at a rapid pace, demolition of the Moat House hotel is 50% complete and demolition has stared on the shops on the corner of Lord St and South John St. New crane going up in Chavasse Park ,near the Strand. See PSDA thread for latest splendid pics from Doug Roberts taken 21-5-05.

5) Urban Splash starts a £12M extension to the MATCHWORKS complex in Garston,the existing 1918 built building will be redeveloped to accomodate offices on the upper floors and light industrial units on the ground floor.
A new 3 storey glazed building called the MATCHBOX will be built facing Speke Rd. , the whole phase 2 will create 700 new jobs.
Both jobs are speculative but US are confident it will all be let.

6) Merseytravel have submitted plans for the main operations centre for LINE 1 of the MERSEYTRAM system. The centre will be built on the old GEC factory site along side the East Lancs Rd. in Gillmoss, the centre will house the control room,tram sheds and a 600 space car park for a park-ride scheme.

7) Liverpool Culture Company, signs up its fifth major sponsor for its CoC year,
North West Development Agency will be investing £2M over the next four years

8) Piling works begin at ALEXANDRA TOWER in Princes Dock

9) Brunswick Quay Tower back in the news with Henshaw having a go at Maro over the re-location of the existing business`s. The Daily Post editorial summed up the stupidity of Henshaw involvement when it said "he should be helping Maro not hindering".

10) Work begins on the £30M redevelopment of AINTREE RACECOURSE, over the next two years two new grandstands, parade ring, winners enclosures will be built. Building Design Partnership are the project architects.

11) Surprise surprise a letter in the Echo from " Margie" telling all scousers to stop moaning about all the roadworks and traffic jams. She says people should be looking foreward to the differences these changes will bring.
.[/I
12) Is this a lucky omen for LIVERPOOL FC, birdwatchers (twitchers) from the area and from all over the country are flocking to KNOWSLEY SAFARI PARK to catch a glimpse of a RED-NECKED GREBE, this very rare bird should heve returned to Russia after the winter, but has stayed in Knowsley ,maybe to watch the REDS win the Cup( OK Martin, just had to mention the enemy this week )[/I]

Last edited by woody; May 23rd, 2005 at 09:32 PM. Reason: extra news
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:06 PM   #20
bustcapl
Cork 2005

Likes (Received): 163

Well done woody, i find this much more manageable than having to read through loads of posts.
bustcapl no está en línea   Reply With Quote