daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #1
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 31148

What new or refurbished buildings will be ready for 2008?

City of Culture is only two and a half years away and time is fast running out for any new developments to be built or refurbishments to take place!(somone mentioned it the other day!)

I'd like to know What new or refurbished buildings will definitly be ready for City of Culture 2008!
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1571

Liverpool is going to be a building site in 2008 because of delays, thats unless all the delayed projects are delayed even further or cancelled!
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #3
jrb
10th February 2008

I was thinking that Accura!

Will visitors be welcomed be a city full of cranes and many unfinished developments?

Which is not a bad thing, but is not ideal!
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #4
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Some new shops.

That is all.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #5
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1571

It wont be all bad. A lot of stuff will be finished, but with the current climate, I cant see most of it being complete.
West Tower - Yes
PDSA - Yes
Kings Dock - Some parts of it finished
Pier Head Canal Link - Should be
Lime Street - I would have said yes 2 weeks ago, but with recent goings on, Should Be
Merseytram - May not even have started
Cruise Terminal - Should be
Central Station - Should be
Stanley Dock - Cant see it being done in time. Huge project
Fourth Grace cheap replacement - Unsure
Brunswick Dock - No
Princes Dock - Yep
The new Anfield - No
etc...
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6
jrb
10th February 2008

In that case, I'd channel all efforts in to a mass refurb of exisiting buildings, plus cleaning up whole areas!
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #7
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 2025

Wink Should be finished by 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
In that case, I'd channel all efforts in to a mass refurb of exisiting buildings, plus cleaning up whole areas!
Very good question jrb, the following large schemes should be completed before or during 2008;....

Kings Waterfront: Arena / Conference Centre, Multi storey car park, 2 hotels with public piazza and the first 2 phases of apartments.

Lime Street Station Gateway project, the improvements to the station both inside and outside will be complete as should the tower but internal fitting out will not be. ( this development is still to be approved)

Cruise liner Berth will be open next year but we still await details of the terminal building.

Princes Dock, City Lofts , Alexandra Tower and the Malmaison Hotel will all be finished.

Beetham West and Unity Towers will be complete.

Paradise Project, will be completed late 2008.

The one job that is causing much concern at the moment is the "City Centre Movement Stratagy", better known as THE BIG DIG, almost every road and ally way is being relaid together with public squares and pavements.
All will be finished for 2008.

The Pier Head canal with a relaid public space should be ready in 2007, but the proposed new Museum of Liverpool will not be ready.

jrb there is a programme to clean up many buildings both public and private, also many of the monuments scattered around the city will be refurbished.

Time will be tight on many schemes, but any public works that are not complete will be put " on the back burner " until 2009, to ensure that the city does not look like a giant building site.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #8
Steve C

Likes (Received): 35

When is Lime Street station actually getting its facelift? Or has it already started?

The projects mentioned that will be ready in time are all well and good, but many would have been done regardless of C.o.C. What annoys me is that we've had no replacement for the 4th Grace.

No centre piece. No building to serve as a lasting memory.

Graz got this baby:

Bilbao got this:

What will we get? Nothing at this rate. It doesn't have to be a modern building and it doesn't have to be a real head turner - just as well with our council - but what will we have to mark the occasion?

What can the people of Liverpool say 2008 gave them?

P.S The building in Graz is called the Kunsthaus. I believe Liverpool also has a similar sounding building where the council do their best to turn Liverpool into a heritage museum...
Steve C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #9
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Lime St. Gateway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C
When is Lime Street station actually getting its facelift? Or has it already started?...
Steve C, check out update and new renders of the Lime St Tower on Liverpool Vision Web Site, they say it will start in early 2006 and be finished at the end of 2007. This would include the major upgrade of the station and the tower. No news on when the Merseyrail underground stations will be revamped.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #10
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Very good question jrb, the following large schemes should be completed before or during 2008;....
Cheers Woody!

Thought the lack of replies was down to my birth place?

Good list! Hopfully everything will get finihsed in time? Even the projects that aren't finished will give visitors a glimpse of what Liverpool will have to offer in the future!

That reminds me of the ill fated Pop Museum in Sheffield!

Last edited by jrb; August 6th, 2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Percy Street
Outer Controlled Zone

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
Steve C, check out update and new renders of the Lime St Tower on Liverpool Vision Web Site, they say it will start in early 2006 and be finished at the end of 2007. This would include the major upgrade of the station and the tower. No news on when the Merseyrail underground stations will be revamped.
Hi. I can't find the renderings on the LV website. I like the gateway plan and the tower. In spite of the fact that its approval will confirm many fears re: the public/private debate, I hope it gets the full go ahead. I can even accept some (though by no means all) of the arguments given for its preference over the Chieftan proposal. It does appear a more considered and suitable development for that area and if we were given the choice of just one of the two, I'd go for the gateway without hesitation. It will be a drastic improvement on the hideous current arrangement. That said, I cannot understand why we can't have both developments - and more besides!
Percy Street no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #12
Percy Street
Outer Controlled Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C
When is Lime Street station actually getting its facelift? Or has it already started?

The projects mentioned that will be ready in time are all well and good, but many would have been done regardless of C.o.C. What annoys me is that we've had no replacement for the 4th Grace.

No centre piece. No building to serve as a lasting memory.

Graz got this baby:

Bilbao got this:

What will we get? Nothing at this rate. It doesn't have to be a modern building and it doesn't have to be a real head turner - just as well with our council - but what will we have to mark the occasion?

What can the people of Liverpool say 2008 gave them?

P.S The building in Graz is called the Kunsthaus. I believe Liverpool also has a similar sounding building where the council do their best to turn Liverpool into a heritage museum...
'Kunsthaus' - excellent! It would indeed be a great alternative name for Mandarin HQ.

I was thinking along simillar lines recently, that, come 2008, we'll have nothing that catagorically would not have been built anyway and nothing of any real cred that can be considered a lasting legacy of the much hyped year-long celebration.

The collapse of the cloud development was catastrophic. When it happened, we were assured that something of equal brilliance would be filling the void. What we've got on offer so far is the x shaped museum building (quite attractive, probably useful but no big deal really and possibly more suited to another site - Kings Dock maybe) and well, nothing else. Maybe we'll get more lanscaping and some statues of Storey, Henshaw, Bob Scott et al. That'd be lovely.
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #13
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Maybe we'll get more lanscaping and some statues of Storey, Henshaw, Bob Scott et al. That'd be lovely.
I think you should give Bob Scott a break! Everything he has ever been involved with has been a success! He was also a part of the Liverpool 2008 winning bid team! Maybe he's just as frustrated with Liverpool Council as you lot are! You'll probably find out in his next book?
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #14
LABlue

Likes (Received): 950

Ready or not ......... random ramblings

Heres a link to the new renderings for Lime St.

http://www.liverpoolvision.co.uk/doc...exhibition.pdf

The Graz buildng looks a bit like the new 'space age' department store in Birmingham to me ( Debenhams ?) .

The new Museum of Liverpool I do agree would be better on Kings Dock and I think weve been duped - the same architects did a Arts center in Salford that doesnt look too unsimilar in some aspects and is twice the size ! http://www.3xn.dk/

Interestingly enough the Commercial District master plan from LV (the area by St Pauls Sq) calls out for some iconic architecture but there is no way that will be in place for 2008. Couldnt find the link for that one.

The city is going to be a mess as the current administration doesnt seem able to coordinate getting their kecks on in the morning

By the way you can add the repainting of my kitchen to the list of things that wont be ready by 2008.
LABlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #15
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!
Likes (Received): 0

St Eddie's looks a goer. Baltic Triangle possibly.

And Project X, Sefton St? I'll make enquiries next week. I forgot all about this one
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #16
Percy Street
Outer Controlled Zone

Well he went for the Olympics and got the Commonwealth so he'll perhaps understand my frustration at expecting the cloud and getting an X shaped museum which, on its proposed site, might well resemble an upmarket public bog arrangement. In fact, if the newly proposed, khazi-inspired ferry terminal is built next door, the whole area could prove to be endlessly confusing for cottagers and respectable bathroom users alike, not to mention ferry passengers and museum visiting types.

I dare say that Bob would frown upon the ongoing efforts of the council. He did a very good job, alongside others, in swinging the CoC thingy. I wasn't really having a go at him. In lumping him in with our leaders and floating the idea of statues, I was merely suggesting that the CoC award has encouraged complacency, apathy and a worryingly extended period of backslapping.
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #17
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3154

Bob Scott aiming for the Olympics was a good move, even though it failed in the end. Manchester got the Commonweath Games and made a very good job of it that boosted the city's international standing and attracted more investment.

We were talking yesterday at the meet-up about the building that will represent the new regenerated Liverpool for Capital of Culture. I thought that West Tower may go some way to filling that gap, even though it is not a tourist attraction. Of course, if the City Council smiles on us and lets Brunswick Quay go ahead, that would be an even more iconic landmark.

Its hard to know at this stage just how the new arena and conference centre will impact on the waterfront. What is certain is that they are going to be very big buildings, as tall as the five storey Albert Dock warehouses, so they are bound to make some impression.

Perhaps the best building to have as the centrepiece of Capital of Culture will be the refurbished St Georges Hall, which will be far more visible to people arriving at Lime Street thanks to the Gateway works.
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #18
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking Is there no B&Q in LA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABlue

By the way you can add the repainting of my kitchen to the list of things that wont be ready by 2008.
LABlue, Hope the Echo does`nt find out about your unpainted kitchen, I can see the headlines now;...............

Scouser in LA -living in squalor, Echo to organise a fund raising, all donations must be in $ not euros
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #19
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking Here to help a poor Manc.....

[QUOTE=jrb]Cheers Woody!

Thought the lack of replies was down to my birth place?

Well as a scouser on missionary work in Manc land, I thought it my duty to respond to your excellent question
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #20
kung_fuzi

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
One problem with this Woody, Cheiftains objection to Gateway could hold it up for some considerable time.
kung_fuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote