daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries Pays CEDEAO



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

ECOWAS: Major News Thread

Quote:
West Africa military chiefs discuss threats to Liberia polls
1 day ago




MONROVIA — Military and police chiefs from six west African countries met in Liberia on Tuesday to assess security threats to the country's second post-war elections next month.

The security bosses from Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Nigeria and Senegal met behind closed doors, in a meeting following a mini-summit by their heads of state in Abuja last week, an AFP correspondent said.

They were expected to release a communique after the meeting.

As Liberia heads to the crucial election on October 11, seen as a litmus test of its post-war democracy, security concerns are high after Ivory Coast election violence left weapons and mercenaries circulating between the neighbouring countries.

Liberian authorities last month announced a seizure of a "worrisome" amount of arms and ammunition near the border with Ivory Coast, which is still recovering from a bloody post-election crisis.

During the Abuja meeting, the presidents "urged the United Nations to intensify joint UNOCI-UNMIL (peacekeeping missions) monitoring and control of the common border zone between the two countries".

They expressed concerns over the presence of armed groups which may be "used to perpetrate violence and disrupt the elections".

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is seeking a second term in office, as the still fragile west African nation recovers from successive civil wars between 1989 and 2003.

Hundreds of thousands of refugees poured into the country earlier this year during the four-month post-election dispute in Ivory Coast in which 3,000 were estimated to have been killed.

Copyright © 2011 AFP

...
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Guinea: President Accuses Senegal and Ganbia Over Coup Plot
12 September 2011




Dakar — Alpha Condé of Guinea has accused neighbouring Senegal and Gambia of involvement in an assassination attempt against him in July.

In an interview with the Senegalese international "Sud FM" radio, President Condé explained that the plan to kill him and overthrow his government was masterminded by an Guinean opposition politician.

He said both the Senegalese and Gambian governments were "fully aware" of the plot which was carried out at the Hotel Méridien Président in Dakar but kept it away from him.

"Everything was planned in Dakar" he said and accused Mr Amadou Oury Bah whom he said was on the run and the number two man of the leading 'Union des forces démocratiques de Guinée' of being the main protagonist.


Discovered the plan

President Condé told the radio that he had not wanted to arrest Mr Bah when he discovered the plan but rather, gave free reins to the justice ministry.

He explained that it was following the issue of a warrant of arrest against Mr Bah that he absconded the country and is currently living abroad.

"I have clearly explained to the Senegalese and Gambian Ministers of Foreign Affairs that the plot was floated at the Méridien hotel and there were frequent travels by the culprits between their two capitals and which could not have been done without their knowledge," he said.

Temba Matthew
AllAfrica.com

Another lunatic paranoid african leader.
He’s more worried over his own ass than over his countrymen’s future.
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
ECOWAS supports return of AfDB HQs to Abidjan
03/02/2012




The ECOWAS Commission supports ongoing efforts by the government of Cote d’Ivoire for the return of the headquarters of the African Development Bank (AfDB) to Abidjan, following its temporary relocation to Tunis over the political crisis in the country.

An ECOWAS Commission statement obtained by PANA here Friday quoted Commission President James Victor Gbeho as telling a delegation from the Bank’s office in Nigeria, who called on him on Wednesday, that ECOWAS member states were in favour of the return of the headquarters, following the return of peace to Cote d’Ivoire.

Addressing the delegation, led by the Bank’s Resident Representative Ousmane Dore, President Gbeho said the Commission was open to cooperation with the bank in developing the region’s infrastructure to make it more attractive as an investment destination and also in education and health care delivery ssectors.

The Commission, he said, is working hard to address the issue of the absorption of the bank’s facilities, adding that a Shenghen-type visa system for non-ECOWAS citizens is also in the pipeline to help stimulate foreign investment and tourism in the region.

In his remarks, Mr. Dore highlighted the low absorption of the bank’s facilities to the Commission, explaining that the bank had largely decentralized its operations in the continent as part of efforts to improve the efficiency of its facilities and bring the bank nearer to the people.

On the return of the bank headquarters to Abidjan, he said the bank was conscious that this would ultimately happen and was already making efforts towards the renovation of the building.

He said the bank also plans to focus on infrastructure development in line with its new transformation agenda.

Earlier, President Gbeho held a separate meeting with another delegation from the bank’s headquarters, led by Mr. N’guessan Kouassi, who confirmed that the bank was providing about US$1.9 million to support the region’s aviation sector, which should be utilized before the end of 2012.


source: Pana
...
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Arinze
Moderator
 
Arinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25,424
Likes (Received): 1451

I read somewhere Chad wants to joining ECOWAS?
I wonder how will that work?
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze View Post
I read somewhere Chad wants to joining ECOWAS?
I wonder how will that work?
Never heard anything about that ?
They are part of The Economic Community of Central African States.
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Naijaborn
.........................
 
Naijaborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lagos.
Posts: 12,386
Likes (Received): 923

Chad in Central Africa, is nothing short of funny.....! .
__________________
-Lagos City Gallery-
-Lagos City Gallery-
Naijaborn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #7
èđđeůx
DrEameR
 
èđđeůx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,532
Likes (Received): 1478

Why move AfDB's HQ back to Abidjan? Why not another West African city? Dakar & Accra seem to be good contenders.
__________________
Èddeůx »» *
-\('o^)-
Sig Reconstruction
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #8
Arinze
Moderator
 
Arinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25,424
Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrami View Post
Never heard anything about that ?
They are part of The Economic Community of Central African States.

West Africa: Chad Seeks FG's (Federal Government of Nigeria) Support on ECOWAS Membership


1 December 2011

Chadian President Idris Derby has solicited the support of President Goodluck Jonathan towards achieving his country's desire of becoming a permanent member of ECOWAS.

Derby made the disclosure while addressing State House Correspondents shortly after a closed-door meeting with Jonathan at the Presidential Villa.

The Chadian President, who spoke through an interpreter, said that one of the key points of his meeting with Jonathan was on how his country could be a full member of the regional economic bloc.

"Other aspect which we discussed is that Chad wants to be part of ECOWAS.

In the closed discussion with President Jonathan, I urged him for his support so that Chad can be fully part of ECOWAS," he said.

Chad was granted ECOWAS observer status at the community's 39th Ordinary Session held in Nigeria in March and chaired by Jonathan.

Derby also called on the Nigerian Government to use its vantage position in the continent to lobby for support of the international community towards safeguarding Lake Chad from extinction.

"We urged President Jonathan that as he is going to host the Lake Chad Basin Commission's (LCBC) Summit, to lobby for international support, so that advocacy can be launched to safeguard Lake Chad. NAN

http://allafrica.com/stories/201112210289.html
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Tbite
Expert
 
Tbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sud
Posts: 20,821

I don't want them in Ecowas.


And Niger needs to be kicked out of Ecowas.
__________________
TBITE stands for; Thriving Better In Things Essential
In Architecture we find a way of celebrating Humanity and of raising ourselves above the concerns of the matter of fact - Jonathan Glancey
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Naijaborn
.........................
 
Naijaborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lagos.
Posts: 12,386
Likes (Received): 923

Lmao......... Why?
__________________
-Lagos City Gallery-
-Lagos City Gallery-
Naijaborn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #11
èđđeůx
DrEameR
 
èđđeůx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 15,532
Likes (Received): 1478

Some Boko Haram members coming from Niger?...Or maybe they're just not of use being in the bloc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbite View Post
I don't want them in Ecowas.


And Niger needs to be kicked out of Ecowas.
Do all of the members of Chad's admission before it's able to join?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrami View Post
Never heard anything about that ?
They are part of The Economic Community of Central African States.
And like the ECCAS is getting anywhere. Makes since for Chad to want to be apart of ECOWAS. Larger bloc, chances of greater investment from countries in the bloc, and greater infrastructure (obviously not great but definitely better than Central Africa's)....
__________________
Èddeůx »» *
-\('o^)-
Sig Reconstruction
èđđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze View Post

West Africa: Chad Seeks FG's (Federal Government of Nigeria) Support on ECOWAS Membership
Thanks Arinze.
I doubt the Chadian people see themselves as West-Africans though.
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbite View Post
And Niger needs to be kicked out of Ecowas.
I dont see why they need to be kicked out.
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Arinze
Moderator
 
Arinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25,424
Likes (Received): 1451


I don't know why either, and it's not like Nigeria can't just close borders temporarily in situations like now. But no one can say Niger is not West African.

It's a stretch, Chad may border Nigeria but its not really West African historically, unless you count trading routes. Cameroon could make a better case for admission than they could. But if there is any benefit from them joining, why not? Maybe if Chad is a member it would be easier to get assistance from them on terrorism, maybe not monetarily but information and etc.

Tbite if Nigeria had secure borders and an accurate count of who is Nigerian, and not Cameroonian, Chadian, or Nigerien it would help with terrorism. I think Nigeria should start a national ID program, it would be part census part building of information on the country.
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #15
Tbite
Expert
 
Tbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sud
Posts: 20,821

Ecowas is not West Africa.

They can be part of West Africa without being part of Ecowas just like you can be part of Africa without being part of the AU.....i.e Morocco

I don't want Niger and Chad in Ecowas......but then again I guess, alienating them in itself furthers the problem. Seeing as they are in such close proximity to us, I guess we have no choice but to hope for their economic success.

It is the same situation even within countries, whereby one section can drag another section down. I guess for proximity's sake, they should not be excluded from Ecowas.

BTW I never gave my reasons, but my reasons go beyond just terrorism.

BTW the Boko Haram phenomenon is nothing new, these mercenaries have been killing in Nigeria for decades. Boko Haram is simply a new manifestation of an old problem. And yeah like I said, for me this goes well beyond terrorism.

There is a general situation of institutional incapacity which results in cross border problems in various areas including economic and social areas.

Nigeria in itself is not exactly a good country and Nigeria in turn creates the same aforementioned problems for these countries, but going forward, in the event that Nigeria in itself is stabilized, these countries such as Niger and Chad will have no benefit to countries such as Nigeria and Ghana.

However like I said earlier, it becomes a matter of proximity, even with strengthened institutions such social, economic and environmental cross border problems cannot be curtailed entirely. Look at the situation in America for example, whereby Central American countries undermine the world's largest economy. So this will go far beyond our strengths and weaknesses in the long run.

I believe that countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Senegal etc will mature and develop and stabilize a lot earlier than the more distressed countries such as Niger and Chad, so I believe that whatever input that they may have economically will not be seen for decades to come, so really it all comes down to proximity for me. It will come down to the consequences rather than the opportunities.

Unless we intend to have an active political discourse and influence with these countries, whereby we can direct a lot of the outcomes. For example we can set the pace, we can harness their resources etc.
__________________
TBITE stands for; Thriving Better In Things Essential
In Architecture we find a way of celebrating Humanity and of raising ourselves above the concerns of the matter of fact - Jonathan Glancey

Last edited by Tbite; February 5th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Arinze
Moderator
 
Arinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25,424
Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbite
Ecowas is not West Africa.

They can be part of West Africa without being part of Ecowas just like you can be part of Africa without being part of the AU.....i.e Morocco

I don't want Niger and Chad in Ecowas......but then again I guess, alienating them in itself furthers the problem. Seeing as they are in such close proximity to us, I guess we have no choice but to hope for their economic success.

It is the same situation even within countries, whereby one section can drag another section down. I guess for proximity's sake, they should not be excluded from Ecowas.

BTW I never gave my reasons, but my reasons go beyond just terrorism.

BTW the Boko Haram phenomenon is nothing new, these mercenaries have been killing in Nigeria for decades. Boko Haram is simply a new manifestation of an old problem. And yeah like I said, for me this goes well beyond terrorism.

There is a general situation of institutional incapacity which results in cross border problems in various areas including economic and social areas.

Nigeria in itself is not exactly a good country and Nigeria in turn creates the same aforementioned problems for these countries, but going forward, in the event that Nigeria in itself is stabilized, these countries such as Niger and Chad will have no benefit to countries such as Nigeria and Ghana.

However like I said earlier, it becomes a matter of proximity, even with strengthened institutions such social, economic and environmental cross border problems cannot be curtailed entirely. Look at the situation in America for example, whereby Central American countries undermine the world's largest economy. So this will go far beyond our strengths and weaknesses in the long run.

I believe that countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Senegal etc will mature and develop and stabilize a lot earlier than the more distressed countries such as Niger and Chad, so I believe that whatever input that they may have economically will not be seen for decades to come, so really it all comes down to proximity for me. It will come down to the consequences rather than the opportunities.

Unless we intend to have an active political discourse and influence with these countries, whereby we can direct a lot of the outcomes. For example we can set the pace, we can harness their resources etc.
bold lol what nonsense, central America has done no such thing.

Morocco is not in the AU because of Western Sahara.

WAS part of ECOWAS, stands for west African states so one would assume you have to be in the region to qualify.

As Nigeria modernizes its going to learn the same lesson the US has learned, people will migrate to places with higher economic prospects. So it would be in Nigeria's best interest to invest in its poorer neighbors to prevent problems like terrorism from having a safe haven. And that in the grand scheme of things, it's better for local investment to have a foothold than China and America and Europe.
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #17
Hadrami
*Free Agent*
 
Hadrami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,989
Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze View Post

I don't know why either, and it's not like Nigeria can't just close borders temporarily in situations like now. But no one can say Niger is not West African.

It's a stretch, Chad may border Nigeria but its not really West African historically, unless you count trading routes. Cameroon could make a better case for admission than they could. But if there is any benefit from them joining, why not? Maybe if Chad is a member it would be easier to get assistance from them on terrorism, maybe not monetarily but information and etc.

Tbite if Nigeria had secure borders and an accurate count of who is Nigerian, and not Cameroonian, Chadian, or Nigerien it would help with terrorism. I think Nigeria should start a national ID program, it would be part census part building of information on the country.
__________________
"Les faits sont têtus" - Paul Kagame(Apr 7, 2014)

check out:The African Sahel thread
Hadrami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Naijaborn
.........................
 
Naijaborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lagos.
Posts: 12,386
Likes (Received): 923

Apparently, is T bite could, He would have expelled 3/4 of all member states.
__________________
-Lagos City Gallery-
-Lagos City Gallery-
Naijaborn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #19
Tbite
Expert
 
Tbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sud
Posts: 20,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinze View Post
bold lol what nonsense, central America has done no such thing.

Morocco is not in the AU because of Western Sahara.

WAS part of ECOWAS, stands for west African states so one would assume you have to be in the region to qualify.

As Nigeria modernizes its going to learn the same lesson the US has learned, people will migrate to places with higher economic prospects. So it would be in Nigeria's best interest to invest in its poorer neighbors to prevent problems like terrorism from having a safe haven. And that in the grand scheme of things, it's better for local investment to have a foothold than China and America and Europe.
undermine
verb
1. weaken, sabotage, subvert, compromise, disable, debilitate, disempower They are accused of trying to undermine the government.


Yes Central America has done that.

Are you seriously not aware of this? And what you are saying is exactly what I said in my post. I said we must be weary of their instabiltiy and obscurity, due to our close proximity afterall we have already been exposed to these problems for decades.

And yes it is not nonsense, go and do the research. It is an impossibility, the things that you are referring to. Look at what happens in America, look at what happens in South America. Do not base your opinions purely on theories but also delve into the realm of reality.

Nigeria cannot and will never be able to prevent the exposure of these more backward countries, so as a result of these consequences I agree that we cannot alienate them, but for me that is the only reason. ''Other than that, we have no business with them in Ecowas or in anything else.

They are a liability and will continue to be such for the foreseeable future.
__________________
TBITE stands for; Thriving Better In Things Essential
In Architecture we find a way of celebrating Humanity and of raising ourselves above the concerns of the matter of fact - Jonathan Glancey
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Arinze
Moderator
 
Arinze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25,424
Likes (Received): 1451

The US has supported dictators in the region as well as exploited the region through American conglomerates. Get your head out of your ass and stop seeing everything in black and white terms. What Central American government or political group has done half the stuff the US has done in the region

You are really not trying to call other countries "backwards" when you know for a fact Africa as a whole is looked at backwards and un-cultured place.

And in your blind fanaticism you forget to realize that we are all into this together. If Nigeria develops and leaves its neighbors behind, do you expect people from other nations not to immigrate? They do it now, watch the documentary Welcome to Lagos, people from Benin, Togo, and etc flock to Lagos for jobs. Add in the fact that ECOWAS allows visa free travel to member states, people will come for economic opportunities. And many of those folks will be in competition for jobs with Nigerians, how do you thing that situation will lead to the same kind of backlash Americans have towards immigrants?

The other part to this is that if you do not develop as a region and say Nigeria is able to chase Boko Haram out of the country, where will they go to? Chad. Cameroon. Niger. If these countries remain undeveloped do you think they will be much help to combat terrorism? In fact they may use these countries to rebuild and gain strength and have proxy wars (like they are currently doing now, the come through the NE part of Nigeria attack and flee back into Chad).

Look at Northern Nigeria, Boko Haram is a precursor of what will happen if Nigeria continues to neglect areas of importance.
__________________

ekema liked this post
Arinze no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu