SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Secessionist Ljubljana

61K views 149 replies 29 participants last post by  pumpikatze 
#1 · (Edited)
~ Secessionist Ljubljana ~

At the turn of the 19th century, Ljubljana saw the appearance of a new architectural style, which was in Europe mainly referred to as Art Nouveau. Its Slovenian variant developed under the direct influence of Viennese Secession and contributed notably to the overall appearance of Ljubljana.
Ljubljana was the capital of the Austro Hungarian Province of Carniola, at the end of the 19th century having less than 30 000 inhabitants and being very rural in appearance. The turning point was the devastating earthquake which struck the town in 1895. After the huge earthquake, Ljubljana’s mayor, Ivan Hribar (mayor 1896 to 1910) spearheaded a large-scale rebuilding effort. Hribar gave key projects to Slavic architects, particularly the Bosnian Josip Vancaš and the Slovenes Cyril Metod Koch and Maks Fabiani. Fabiani in particular was quite influential in Ljubljana, though he lived and worked in Vienna. It was he who introduced the Austrian Secessionist style to the city, following the fashions of the Austrian capital. The image of Ljubljana started to change rapidly and the first echoes of the new Secessionist style in Ljubljana appeared.

Since 2006 Ljubljana is also a partner of the international Reseau Art Nouveau Network, which includes 14 european cities (Ålesund, Avignon, Barcelona, Reus, Terassa, Brussels, Buapest, Dunaj, Glasgow, Helsinki, Ljubljana, Nancy, Varese, Riga).

In following weeks I'm going to introduce secession art in capital of Slovenia and I'll be posting only pictures taken by me. Hope you'll enjoy!:)

See less See more
#64 ·
^ True... Fortunately things are getting better now.:cheers:

On the oposite side there is a complex of two buildings named Mladika.
Building on the corner of Prešernova and Šubičeva street, work of Fabiani, was built in 1907. Former Girls' Lycée (Dekliški licej) is now seat of Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministrstvo za zunanje zadeve).

#67 ·
~ Secessionist Ljubljana ~

Since 2006 Ljubljana is also a partner of the international Reuseau Art Nouveau Network, which includes 14 european cities (Ålesund, Avignon, Barcelona, Reus, Terassa, Brussels, Buapest, Dunaj, Glasgow, Helsinki, Ljubljana, Nancy, Varese, Riga).
international Reseau Art Nouveau [rezo]. :)
why has the ministry of foreign affairs 2 buildings?

#77 ·
Union.SLO Hvala, what I can say - just very good job and keep posting, by the way my roommatу and flatmates were from Slovenia :)

#78 ·
Sure there are lots of photos waiting to be posted. Let's continue...

In 1902 was built Vila Madelaine (Veselova 17), designed by Anton Wolf. The neoclassical villa was decorated with fashionable Art Nouveau patterns, which were mainly removed in reconstruction in 1910 after change of its ownership.

#81 ·
Okay, okay:) I am waiting because what I wanted to post next is a house on Rimska street but is currently still in restoration... Which one do you have in mind? There are no more houses in this street catalogued as Art Nouveau style... Although there are some other with few of elements of that style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.