SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Beautiful Toronto ON - you won't regret it;)

8K views 108 replies 22 participants last post by  salvius 
#1 · (Edited)

This is my answer to that beautiful Vancouver thread.:D The pics were great, and it showed a beautiful city, but in Canada there's Toronto and it's the reigning king of culture, economy and... well everything else cept mountains, we'll leave that to Vancouver.:tongue2:
And I believe by far, Toronto is much better than Vancouver.:);)

Pics taken by KM and I
Our route:

Queen street, the hip and trendy district of Toronto with many chic cafes and stores. Heart of the Canadian entertainement industry, like Much Music and City TV.

The Much music building

The new Toronto opera house, rising majestically in the heart of downtown Canada

University avenue is the grandest street in Toronto. Very wide and of course covered on both sides by monumental buildings (also home to the discovery district containing most of Toronto's specialized hospitals).

Monument to WWI

Canada Life insurance building

Hydro Ontario building (that stretch of University has flags of all the G8 member nations).

MARS centre for the biochemical sciences. UC

The parliament of the province of Ontario (notably Queen's Park as it's called is the second most influential area in Canada).

Looking down University with the statue of John A MacDonald (Canada's first PM)

The Whitney block

More parliament

Nice statues around the area

The University of Toronto - completely in the traditional English style

Statue of King Edward IV

Trinity College at U of T

The Hart House and the clock tower

King's College at U of T

King's circle with the convocation hall - very Naboo don't ya think:D

Some marriage going on

I love these new H&M commercials

From the University downtown seems so far....

The Royal conservatory of music - I spent most of my childhood here playing my hands off.:rant: anyway - undergoing a 100 million $ renovation + expansion

Philosopher's walk

The faculty of household sciences building

The Royal Ontario Museum, contains the largest and finest collections in Canada. It is undergoing an enormous expansion project designed by Liebskind, the crystal will open in 2 years.

Park Hyatt

Four Seasons Toronto

Coming onto Bloor Street West, known as fifth avenue Toronto. It contains the most expensive stores in the city, such as Tiffany's, Mont Blanc, etc...

Yonge street, Toronto's "main street" is the longest street in the world. It's very shabby, but charming nevertheless.

Yonge and Dundas square - the "Times square" of Toronto. You can get nauseous just by looking at the billboards and TV's dotting the square.

Looking down Yonge street, hello ginormous high-rises

The Eaton centre - just one pic this time says it all

Trinity square nestled between a huge mall and a hotel

Scotia bank's 68 storey beauty

Construction going on

Toronto's landmark city hall

Old city hall

View from Osgoode hall, Canada life looks enchanting.

The CBD from Osgoode hall

And of course the CN tower

And finally Osgoode hall, a beautiful 19th century courthouse building, now housing some university law program.

And that's it, hope you enjoyed this mega tour of Toronto:cheers:

PS Bane, izvini Toronto is simply out of your league.:D

See less See more
#104 ·
Pgyangyang isn't on worst top 10?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

#105 ·
Bane said:
Actually the Vancouver transportation system was ranked number one in North America a few years back. I don't think it's still number one but it wouldn't be far from it. It could've only improved and personally I have no objections to the public transportation.
Yes, but what does this do except undermine the credibility of the study?

#106 ·
Bane said:
Actually the Vancouver transportation system was ranked number one in North America a few years back. I don't think it's still number one but it wouldn't be far from it. It could've only improved and personally I have no objections to the public transportation.
OK leave my Toronto thread alone from Vancouver boasting:D Toronto is by far Canada's largest, most influencial, richest... Is the Canadian heart of culture and financial institutions... Toronto influences everything that happens in Canada, if the stock market (TSX) crashed, Vancouver's economic prosperity would suddenly grind to a halt and recession would take over. That's the harsh reality, and that's why you Vancouverites hate us, because we own you, and without us you can kiss funding for your 2010 olympics goodbye (the ironic part is that it's probably mostly Ontario and Toronto's tax money paying for it).:) So byebye Bane, as I've said, Toronto has great world museums, theatres... AND IT ACTUALLY HAS ARCHITECTURE! OMG something Vancouver can only dream of... (haha green condos that's like so suburban:D) Bane, watch who you take on, as incredible as Vancouver is, it's no match for actual world cities like Toronto, NYC, London, Boston....ETC ETC ETC:cheers:

#109 ·
^ well, I am talking PT, and any study which gives Vancouver's PT good or top marks is immidietely suspect. Vancouver's PT is more often than not glorified commuter rail. Nothing wrong with that, but Vancouver is not well configured, nor is it likely to be, for mass transit. ICTS does not even have the capacity for this to happen, so further expansions will likely follow the general idea of commuter rail, rather than mass transit.

BTW, I do not doubt Vancouver is a livable city, but if I was looking for merely that, I think I might find Victoria, BC, or London, ON more livable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.