SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SPLIT - Croatia's jewel on the Mediterranean

131K views 290 replies 34 participants last post by  Kingslayer 
#1 · (Edited)
The city of SPLIT

This is my beloved hometown and now I'm presenting it to all of you.
Hope you'll enjoy this slideshow... :)

Web: http://www.split.hr/Default.aspx

1700 year old city of Split is the second largest urban area in Croatia. It has about 220,000 residents in the city and some 350,000 in metro area, which consists from the smaller cities of Solin, Kaštela, Trogir, Klis, Stobreč, Omiš and so on. They all create a 50km long urban coastal zone that is the nerve center of the southern Croatian region of Dalmatia (pop. 1,000,000).

The core of the city is an ancient Roman palace, built in 305. AD by the emperor Diocletian.
Just about 5km north of the palace was the 2200 year old city of Salona (pop. 60,000), which was the capital of the Roman province Dalmatia. When it was destroyed by the barbarian attacks, the people went to the abandoned palace and created the city of Split.

Later, the city grew on it's own pace, changing it's "owners".
From the Croatian kingdom in the 7th century, Venitians in the 17th century, Austrians till WW1, Italians in WW2, to Yugoslavia in the 20th century and Croatia from 1991.

In the 20th century the population count exploded. In just under 50 years, the city grew from about 30,000 to 200,000. It gained tall skyscrapers and wide avenues. It was industrialised, and developed into a real mini-metropolis of the Mediterranean. :)

Let's start with this colage teaser:

Expect many more pictures in the near future. :cheers2:

See less See more
#43 ·
One of Split's "trademarks" are it's skyscrapers.
For a tipical ancient Mediterranean city it's pretty atipical to have dozens and dozens of buildings up to 20 storeys high. :yes:

Let's take look on some of these aeriels:

:cheers2:

#50 ·
Split is really awesome, a real skyscrapercity. =) It just needs a little bit of a renovation on facades and streets. =) How does the public transit function (will you make one post for me on that please?)?
Oh and not to forget, the University campus looks astonishing. I would really like to have something similar in Ljubljana, or at least a student housing campus, holding more than 2000 students, because we have a lot of them scattered all over the city.

#51 ·
^^ Thanx for the compliments. :)
As for the facades, I agree. These parts of the city from the 50s are not in a prime condition. But alot of facades are getting fixed. You can see it here too: http://i42.tinypic.com/dcs49.jpg

Parts of the city that have alot of skyscrapers and are under 30 years of age are in great condition... as well as the antic and medievil city core. :)

--------------------------------------------------

Our public transport is mostly done by bus. We also have a suburban (part underground) rail line, but I'll cover that later.

Our bus transport is done by a company named Promet D.O.O.
It operates 33 city and suburban bus lines (devided into four charging zones), as well as 21 lines that cover a wider area of the county.
There are 160 buses, of which 90 is under 8 years old, and of which 60 are under 3 years of age.

City lines:

Zones:

Buses:

#59 ·
Hehe... these were instaled about a year ago, but they are having massive problems with the software. They can't coordinate the GPS transceivers on the buses with the accual station displys. Even now on their screens only runs a text "dispalys in testing". :hammer:

But I'm sure they'll work some day. They had similar problems in Zagreb too, so... :cheers:

nice aerials in the beginning of the current page!

^^
in the picture above, are there mountains with snow on them or is it just an illusion?
No. It's just an ilusion. However, at that time mountin ranges behind the city HAD snow on their tops. They just aren't on the picture. Hehe.

P.S. There are two mountains surrounding the city. Kozjak (780m tall) on the north, and Mosor (1340m tall) on the east. Exceptional views of the city from them. On Mosor you even have a planetarium. :master:

Btw. this pic was taken from Kozjak: http://i48.tinypic.com/2vtv8mc.jpg

Dobijaš li ti kakav honorar iz splitske turističke ili gospodarske zajednice?
Više ćeš ti potencijalnih investitora i turista privući u Split svojim reportažama nego što su oni u životu uspjeli....
Odlične su ti reportaže, sveobuhvatne, to volim.
Split za glavni grad...pa mediteranska smo zemlja.
Što reći više? Izrastao je u pravu metropolu...
Honorar? Šta je to? Se to jede? :D

Al fala. :eek:kay:

#55 ·
Dobijaš li ti kakav honorar iz splitske turističke ili gospodarske zajednice?
Više ćeš ti potencijalnih investitora i turista privući u Split svojim reportažama nego što su oni u životu uspjeli....
Odlične su ti reportaže, sveobuhvatne, to volim.
Split za glavni grad...pa mediteranska smo zemlja.
Što reći više? Izrastao je u pravu metropolu...

#67 · (Edited)
Split has a coastline 14 kilometers long, with 10 kilometers of beaches
When you want to go to for a swim, you have everything you want. Urban and secluded... covered with sand/gravel/stone...party beaches...nudist beaches.... :cheers:

The most famous one is Bačvice. It's located in a cove, just east to the city port:

In the summer, there are numerous concerts and parties held there, in the sea. Last year was the record attendence - 60,000 people! :righton:

#68 ·
On the north coast of the Marjan hill (the west tip of the Split peninsula) you can find many calm beaches surrounded by pine forrest.

This is Bene:

On the south side are Kašuni (with a nudist section):

East of Kašuni is Ježinac:

:cheers:

#69 ·
Traveling on to the east, we come to the city port, then Bačvice, and then to the small cove called Ovčice:

East of that is a cove of Firule:

Further to the east is the Zenta marina, and after that is Trstenik:

The last one is Žnjan:

It's a large plateau made by landfill. It's a site of the future development in terms of building a seaside promenade, a marina, hotels, bars and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.