Macedonia Miscellaneous

305K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Skopje/Скопје 
#1 · (Edited)
#105 ·
i think this is an old pic of skopje

#108 ·
dj urob do you live in skopje??

#110 ·
nice...do you live close to cair? ive never been to skopje before but what is it like for a mac to go to cair or an alb to come to a mac neighborhood?
like for example would u go to cair just for the hell of it too drink a beer.

#111 ·
skender said:
nice...do you live close to cair? ive never been to skopje before but what is it like for a mac to go to cair or an alb to come to a mac neighborhood?
like for example would u go to cair just for the hell of it too drink a beer.
the division is really really blown out of proportions... many Macs live in Cair too... Albanians are 68% in that neighbourhood... I go there often enough. I mostely go to buy some burek... there is a great bakery that works all night long there... I see Macedonians and Albanians there in the same line... each talking in their own languages... just waiting for their burek... no problems at all... Many ALBs come to the MK neighbourhoods too... the best shopping malls are in the MK neighbourhoods... I always see many ALBos there... nothing happens again... I also see many cars with Kosovo car plates... nobody bothers again... I know many ALBos that enjoy the mainstream night life of Skopje. In the past 6 years there has been a bilingual radio station... specialized in rock music... MKs and ALBos host the shows together... it organizes many parties... MK and ALB bands mixed... it all works fine...
Whenever there is a ethnic fight... it's usually cause of a football game (like an Albanian and Macedonian football clubs play)... but fans are always idiots... other thing can be a high school fight.... yet again it's teen stuff... so nothing extra ordinary really...

I've told these stories before on SSC but I repeat them again cause it's the truth and it's important...

and if anyone else tries to tell U otherwise... don't beleive him... cause there are some MKs and ALBs who just want to see some negative things going on around here... but the truth is... people just live their lives normally....

the only ALB places in the country that I wouldn't enter myself cause I wouldn't feel comfortable as Macedonian are...

Lipkovo, Aracinovo, Kondovo and Radusha villages... these are the cradle of the Albanian nationalism in MK and U can run into all kinds of people... in all the other places including the bigger towns like Tetovo, Gostivar, Kicevo, Struga... it ain't bad at all....

if U have any more questions shoot, I'll be glad to reply more...

:cheers:

#112 ·
I'm just curious you know since many Albanians live there. I dont know if you have any Albanian friends but do Albanian girls go with Macedonian guys, or Alb guys with Mac girls? I know there are troubles at games...Like lately Makedonija beat Shkendija...How about in the night clubs??

yeah hopefully i can come this summer to skopje so i can see myself...one town that i am told to avoid is pirlep..i guess they dont like albanians there either. but i am happy people live happy there because i dont really hear of any big incidents...

and one last question. Which are the better looking girls in Skopje, Alb or Mac? :p be honest lol

anyways thanks a lot man, i appreciate it

#113 ·
skender said:
I'm just curious you know since many Albanians live there. I dont know if you have any Albanian friends but do Albanian girls go with Macedonian guys, or Alb guys with Mac girls? I know there are troubles at games...Like lately Makedonija beat Shkendija...How about in the night clubs??

yeah hopefully i can come this summer to skopje so i can see myself...one town that i am told to avoid is pirlep..i guess they dont like albanians there either.

and one last question. Which are the better looking girls in Skopje, Alb or Mac? :p be honest lol

anyways thanks a lot man, i appreciate it
I guess dating is not that common... I doubt it's prejudice... it's perhaps habbit... or some fear of "what the society would think"... relegius limitations? I don't know... surely some are dating but... I'd say Albanian girls are more closed for this... Albanians (in Macedonia) in general have a more traditional mindset than Macedonians... however... i think that will fade out with the newer generations...

On Makedonija-Shkendija.... there was not much trouble... but there was heavy police security so nothing could happen... just the regular insults between the fans...

in the night clubs U won't likely find any trouble based on nationalism...

U are welcome to check out Skopje of course... as long as U don't provoke anyone... U are safe don't worry... I wouldn't reccomend the summer... everyone is on vacation the city is a ghost town... I'm sure the population shrinks to 300k or something....

but i am happy people live happy there because i dont really hear of any big incidents...
this only proves my point... if it was really as bad as people describe it... we'd hear about a lot of incidents... but there aren't many...

about Prilep I don't know man... I've heard this from other Albanians as well... I don't know what's with that town... I've been there twice only as well... Not much to see there anyways... But I've also heard of people from Prilep villages marrying Albanian girls (from poor parts of Albania). So there are always two sides of the story...

About the girls... First of all... I like girls... I don't care if they are MK, AL, GR, CRO, SR, BG.... there are nice ones and ugly ones... that's where it ends for me...
If we talk about nice girls per capita... I'd go with the Macedonian girls... But again... the quality of Albanian girls is also getting much better lately. I think before they didn't put much effort into their looks... they didn't look up to date in terms of fashion, make up... Nowdays... U can't really tell the difference mostely...

#114 ·
haha nice thanks man
i dont come to places to provoke people. when i come to skopje ill come to look around, enjoy some bars, pubs...but in the summer population should increase since all the immigrants come back home...at least thats what happens in tirana. its crazy in the summer

#116 ·
skender said:
haha nice thanks man
i dont come to places to provoke people. when i come to skopje ill come to look around, enjoy some bars, pubs...but in the summer population should increase since all the immigrants come back home...at least thats what happens in tirana. its crazy in the summer
hehe I'm sure U wouldn't provoke man... I meant... don't try to attract attention for no reason... like... don't wear a UCK t-shirt or something lol :)

immigrants come back... but they all head to Ohrid man... Skopje is unbearable at summer... it's already too damn hot and the summer only started today officially....

As adition to what I wrote before... I just want to say... I'm not trying to paint a pretty picture how everything is soooooo nice in Macedonia... how we all love each other, we are all integrated blah blah... all I'm saying is that it only depends to the individual if he/she wants to mix with the other camp... or stay aside... it comes down only to personal choice nothing more... cause there are more than enough people that don't have problems with living together.... and no will bother to stop/prevent them from doing that...

#120 ·
Here's some interesting news.........

" Delta M company to invest over Euro 100,000 in Macedonia

Skopje, June 26 (MIA) - Serbian company Delta Holding will invest Euro 113 million in Macedonia for the next two years in construction of supermarket chain, distributing center and water bottling factory. Those projects should create conditions for opening of 2,300 jobs.

"Delta Holding intends to become a leader in the region," Company's Chairman Miroslav Miskovic said Monday, referring to the company's investing plans in Bosnia/Herzegovina and Montenegro.

Prime Minister Vlado Buckovski said that today's presentation of the Delta M in Macedonia (part of Delta Holding) was turning into reality a cooperation memo, signed last year.

The company's presence in Macedonia confirms the improvement of Macedonia's business climate the Government has worked on for the last few years, Buckovski added.

Delta Holding plans to invest a total of Euro 605 million in construction of multi-purpose facilities. "

#123 ·
I've just spent som time looking through this and the previous Macedonia picture-thread, djurob, and I think you've done a great job in promoting Skopje and Macedonia in general. Good job! :eek:kay:

#125 ·
Hey!

Next wednesday I'll visit Ohrid, I'll stay there till 20th of august. :cool:

What do I really have to see in this city?

I'd also like to see some things outside this city, but I don't know what exactly yet. I don't know how the infrastructure is arranged. Maybe we'll visit some nature park, some other cities or maybe Albania.

#126 ·
^^

here is a bad quality map of the lake but perhaps it will help U cause I marked some highlights...

If I remember correctly U will be accomodatet in Hotel Metropol which is #6 on the map. From there U should be easily connected to to the eastern lakeshore on the range Ohrid-St.Naum (#4-#11) which is around 35km long and is where most of the stuff are situated. There are regular bus lines going passing on that range all the time, there are Taxis whichs are cheap, but U should always insist that they run on Taximeter, cause otherwise they'll rip U off. There are also smaller vans and shuttle busses driving on the bus route all day long. For the nights I'm not sure how is the schedule U will have to check that out Urself, but I think the first bus in the morning is at 4AM (which is good for coming back from nightlife in Ohrid). I think there is also a shipline from Ohrid (#4) to St.Naum (#11) which stops by your hotel too to pick up passangers. As for transport to Struga, U got to go to the intercity station in Ohrid. I've heard it's a bit messy cause they've just relocated it. Struga is 14km away from Ohrid, so it's not a long trip.

Not let's go point by point, first the Ohirid part of the lake....

#4 - I guess the most important segment of Ur trip together with the lake itself. Focus on the old town, there is lots to see, it's nice for walking around. Most of the nightlife, nice restaurants and bars etc etc are to be found there. U should check out the Samoul fortress overlooking the town and the church St. Jovan Kaneo from where U have one of the most spectacular views over the lake, just ask the locals and they'll tell U how to reach it it's some 10-15mins walking from the center. Also the shoreline of the lake is good as well as the old carsija which leads to the interior of the town and where U see the Turkish influences. I don't know what to reccomend U for night life as I have not been there on vacation myself for 5 years now, but I'm sure U'll figure it out.

#5 - This is the GORICA resort. It has some nice beaches but other than that nothing just some hotels, nothing really to do there except sunbathe

#6 - This is where U stay

#7 - PESHTANI, the largest tourist village on the shoreline. I've never stayed there just passed through it, but U have some restaurants and stuff there. It's beach is not so good I think.

#8 - Camp GRADISTE. Usually a very crowded place, but it has some of the nices beaches and cleanest water on the whole shoreline. U also might catch some beach parties with DJs and stuff there. It has 3 beachers, from which the 1st one is more for family people, and the 2nd and 3rd are for younger ones. There are beach bars and music all day long.

#9 - VIllage TRPEJCA. I haven't been there, but it becane really popular in the last yearts. The beaches should be nice there and there should be some restaurants and stuff...

#10 - St. ZAUM. This place is only accecible by water. It's a small beach with an old church on it. The lake is the cleanest and deepest there. It's off the tourist track, usually just locals go there, but it's nice for one day for a swim or something.

#11 - St. NAUM. This is the last place before Albania and it's a must. One of the most beautifil monasterties in Macedonia is there, the springs of the River Crn Drim which are absolutely spectacular. U have a nice sandy stretch of beaches there (most of Ohrid has rocky beaches).

Now the Struga section.

#1 - RADOZDA. I've never been there but I've always heard it's nice. The standards story... Nice church and a nice beach.

#2 - HOTEL BISER... The beach on this hotel has been really popular this season with young people. Beach parties, beach bars, blah blah...

#3 - STRUGA, the second largest town on the lake. Nothing compared to Ohrid but U can check it out, it's where the river CRN DRIM flows out of the lake, and it has some nice areas...

For visiting other places I'd reccomend

Vevcani, Mavrovo and Bitola which are all max 100km away. I can't give U any tips for the transport to these places though other that the only option is the bus. But knowing our transport is not really efficient, U can arrange trips through

www.exploringmacedonia.com

I definately reccomend this option so U don't waste any time in organizing the trips Urself as it can be a tricky business here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.