SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Macedonia Miscellaneous

305K views 2K replies 85 participants last post by  Skopje/Скопје 
#1 · (Edited)
#130 ·
ok, I found some map of Ohrid, and I did some quick sketching cause I gotta run so that's why it looks bad but....

First of all, U need to stick in the marked area. That's where old Ohrid, real Ohrid is... Most of the other stuff are just just one big sleeping room, meaning just appartment blocks owned by other Macedonians, non Ohriders usually used only in summer... But definately nothing interesting to see...

The highlighted area.... I'm sure U'll find your way around here. It's not big at all, it's crowded most of the time... Just follow the flow and that's it... but anyways....

#1 - This is where that church 'St. Jovan Kaneo', the one with the great view that I mentioned in my previous post... The church itself is a masterpiece of Christian Orthodox architecture... Here is a sample of what am I talking about, pic taken some 100-200m from the place

#2 - That's the fortress. Nothing much to explain about it...

#3 - This is the old core of the city. This is where I'd stick around the most. It's where all the cozy narrow streets with old architecture are, and most of the nice bars, restaurants and cafes so it has a nice atmosphere. As I haven't been there for summer vacation for a long time I can't reccomend U some place for nighlife and stuff... Except perhaps

Cafe Aquarius - which has the best setting in my opinion, right by the lakeshore. This is more a place to relax and have a coffie or something, but I think there is stuff going on at night too

Jazz in - it's a nice cozy pub, with usually nice jazz, rock or world music...

Last year I was there for one day and there was this nice bar with live rock music on the main square... I can't remember the name...

The town usually dies out after 1-2 and everything moves to the clubs, but I don't know what clubs are cool these days.... So for the rest U'll have to discover it Urself...

#4 - this is where the main square and the port is. basically that's the central point from where U usually start.

#5 - this is a nice walking area and it slowly blends with a more Turkish (in terms of architecture) part of Ohrid. It's nice, lots of people always, lots of shops with all kinds of stuff... It finishes out with #6 which is another square where the "turkish" Ohrid ends and those regular boring appartment buildings start....

#7 - I'm not sure if there is much to see in this area, it's mostely appartments and stuff, some hotels, the central post office stuff like that. I know there has been lots of counstruction there in the last years and it might be OK, but nothing really authentic....

#8 - This is a large walking area by the lake going all the way to the Gorica resort (I meantioned it in the previous post), some 5km from the town. People use it for relaxed walks, jogging, biking, some fish there etc... It's an OK walk. At the end of the walking area within the city limits are some sport and recreational fascilities and some night clubs. U will also find there the Biljana springs which are cool to see... Through them the Ohrid lake is interconected with the neighbouring Prespa lake. BTW Prespa lake is very close too, so if U can organize Urself U can check it out. It's right on the other side of the mountain. It's nice and all but not nice as the Ohrid like nor is the area touristically developed. But there are some nice and authentic things to see.. Here is a touristic map I've found with all the important places in Ohrid and the surroundings....

ughr... that's all I can remember for now... if I remember something extra I'll PM U, in the mean time I'll repeat again, fell free to ask any specific questions...

:cheers:

#132 ·
I honestly think that an urban plan doesn't exist on the other side of the bridge (Albanian side). Hope VPRMO-DPMNE sort this out with PDSH because without Cair and every region on the side of the bridge, without those places being fulfilled with the obligatory needs EU doesnt want to see Macedonia on the waiting list.

#133 ·
^^

Are U from Cair mate? Of course there is an urban plan for Cair it's another thing how much it is respected in recent years... But U are being too harsh on the neighbourhood. Yes it is infrastructurally weaker than most of the rest of Skopje but except of certain minor run down favela like areas (which exist in other suburbs of the city as well), it's not really an urbanistic mess. Actiually it's one of the nicer more humane areas from urbanistic viewpoint. Not too dense, logical layout, lots of green areas and trees. I think its major downside is the infrastructure but the new boulevard "Slovenecka" is under construction finally so that ought to solve a few problems.
And surely U can't expect much from VMRO and PDSH... They are the central government the show in Cair is run by Trifun Kostovski for the major infrastructure and by Idzet Memeti (BDI) for the secondary and more local infrastructure and issues.

#134 ·
Wow, Macedonia was awesome! This country is so beautiful! I really enjoyed my holiday! I visited the area from the south of Lake Ohrid to Mavrovo. I'm gonna post a lot of pics I've made here if u want. I'll make here a link to the HHF. ;) I've also been to Pogradec and Körce, Albania.

#136 ·
hey i know this is off topic a little but an Albanian kid asked to translate something into macedonian, do you think one of you guys can do that for me please?

I got your reply from your (...). We have arranged to meet soon. Hope you have not gotten in trouble. Anyways I explained that it is not your fault, but i still am up for it. Anyways i will (...) him up when we meet.

this is what he wanted to have translated :D Thanks

#137 ·
got pidh? said:
hey i know this is off topic a little but an Albanian kid asked to translate something into macedonian, do you think one of you guys can do that for me please?

I got your reply from your (...). We have arranged to meet soon. Hope you have not gotten in trouble. Anyways I explained that it is not your fault, but i still am up for it. Anyways i will (...) him up when we meet.

this is what he wanted to have translated :D Thanks
np man

Dobiv odgovor od tvojot (...). Dogovorivme da se sretneme naskoro. Se nadevam deka ne si zapadnal vo nekoja nevolja. Vo sekoj slucaj jas objasniv deka toa ne e tvoja greska, ama jas sum seuste za toa. Vo sekoj slucaj jas kje (...) nego koga kje se sretneme.

that's like a literal translation but the text itself didn't make that much sence to me :dunno: ... hope it helps anyway :cheers:

#138 ·
DvW said:
Wow, Macedonia was awesome! This country is so beautiful! I really enjoyed my holiday! I visited the area from the south of Lake Ohrid to Mavrovo. I'm gonna post a lot of pics I've made here if u want. I'll make here a link to the HHF. ;) I've also been to Pogradec and Körce, Albania.
glad that U had good time... it would be cool to see some pics... hope my instructions helped U out...

:cheers:

#145 ·
Here are the pictures I've been meaning to put on here for so long...these are all taken this summer mainly between july 12-16 on my vacation in MK.

Ohrid

Bitola

Dojran (Has LOTS of potential-but no investors yet-I think it has a better climate than Ohrid-more Mediterranean.)

Berovo (I wish I took more pictures from this awesome place-the raod going up the mountain to Berovo was absolutely amazing and scary haha!)

Matka

I wish I could have taken some from Skopje but my batteries ran out as soon as I tried taking a pic on the Kamen Most!

#148 ·
thanks guys and yes i know i wish they were bigger too but for some reason when i uploaded them to the internet they got smaller...they are bigger though when i view them on my computer...

and djurob-yes berovo is awesome man, but the road i took was just scary it was strumica-berovo...but you aren't going that way anyways because i came from gevgelija. but anyways it was awesome it's like this long ride up the mountain for like 15-20 minutes then a plateau on the top where all these vikendici are (weekend homes) and it looked very rich-i'm talking big, nice houses. the actual city of berovo is O.K. but if you go down there im telling you to go up this mountain that is between strumica-berovo and check out the vikendici (i believe its on the outskirts of opstina berovo) it's just amazing!!! that picture of the road in berovo is actually at the plateau of the long ride up the mountain from strumica.

#151 ·
Cool! Did you sleep in the Metropol/Bellevue Hotel? You made some pics of there, 5 and 6. I spent my holyday in the Bellevue Hotel from 9 - 20 of august. It was great! I'll post my pics in the HHF and here. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.