SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Skopje Photo Album

Tags
skopje
252K views 1K replies 114 participants last post by  Skopje/Скопје 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting this thread to celebrate the return of SSC :)

These are just some ordinary pics of the bus station

Arrivals:

Departures:

I dont know why, but security is really tight for a bus station.

Something is wrong here... :bash:

Some night pics. One of the entrances...

See less See more
#36 ·
good stuff realek. i've noticed something with the houses in Skopje (maybe in all of Macedonia?) and also Kosovo that building's have a sloped roof instead of a flat roof. really dangerous to have a roof on top of a 20 floor building. what if it has to be repaired, someone will fall. it must be a yugo thing or maybe local architecture?

#37 ·
for Skopje I'd say the main reason is the extra profit. the last floor under the sloped roof is legally not considered a floor but a "subroof" as we call it. This means that if the height limit at a location is for example 6 stories they can either makea building with 6 storeis and a flat roof or 6 stories + the "subroof". Guess what option is everyone choosing. On the top of it if I remember good the communal taxes for the "subroof" are like small or nonexistant at least this is how it used to be a while ago maybe that changed. So it's bascially a loophole in the legislative that everyone uses in order to make more money. If U got a building with let's say 300m useful surface area of the basis of the building, the "subroof" easily creates extra let's say 300.000EUR to the value of the building.

but it probably has something to do with the local architecture too. For these big ass appartment blocks, they are typical for all ex YU, they are templates that U can find in most bigger YU cities.

#38 ·
@ Lakerdar

AFAIK this kind of roof has a lot of advantages, for example it easily gets rid of the water during rain or after melting of snow/ice.
About the risk of somebody falling during repairs I must say Im not familliar with fixing roofs, but I never heard of such an accident here.

#39 ·
^^what djurob says makes the most sense. either way i like the architecture of it because i can easily recognize a building that is in Macedonia from looking at that.

realek, what you say makes sense however eventually the roof will have to be resurfaced (i dont know much about this so i may be wrong). lets just say i dont want to be the guy doing that.

#48 · (Edited)
Ok my friends, here is another stack of ordinary panoramic pics of Skopje. Some of the pics show nice parts of the city, some show ugly industrial parts, but I decided to post them all :D
Unfortunatelly I had to deal with a shitty weather conditions again, so the quality is not that good. I cant wait for the spring... :lol:

#52 ·
Quite a bit of construction in the background. Anyone care to explain more?
Nothing special, just ordinary residentials and mixed residential/comercial buildings. Part of the construction frenzy in a part of the city called Kisela Voda. The ones you ask about are located in a part of something we call Rasadnik (probably you know what this means). This rasadnik was used for researching seeds and other agricultural research AFAIK. I guess they are planning to relocate it now.

Here you can see the area under construction

#55 ·
good spotting BL....

on the 2nd picture it's a new building for one private university. to give U better orientation as U relatively learned Skopje it's opposite of the new Mercedes showroom accross the bridge that comes from the boulevard that divides the areas Aerodrom and Novo Lisice.

on the 9th picture it's probably a church cause I know there is a church U/C in this area (Aerodrom) but I haven't checked it out.

#57 ·
nope this is Evropski Univerzitet it's Macedonian owned.

Which American one are U refering to? U have one that it's peaking on the 8th picture U can notice there a big banner for it. This one is called American college. It's Macedonian owned.

And than U got New York College which has a big ass american style campus (from what I know I haven't checked it out) in the western suburb of Saraj. This one is Greek owned it's actually a chain they got them in Athens, Thesaloniki and some other places as well (I think Prague being among them). It's called New York cause it offers the same curiculums as New York State University with lots of visiting professors from there and stuff.

The other two have their names just to sound "cool" altough it's so lame and predictible IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.