SkyscraperCity Forum banner

European Mosques [Photos]

188K views 261 replies 86 participants last post by  cupo 
#1 · (Edited)
Schwetzinger Mosque , Germany

See less See more
#68 ·
^^ Interesting info, but not a mosque any more frozen!!

#71 ·
Yeah I remember that story. I am really not the best one to ask about such issues but I think there are some rituals followed for when a site is initially declared as a mosque.

Cool thread btw! Here is the MENA thread about Middle-Eastern and North African Churches (which has pictures of my town's Spanish church :cheers: ).

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=343152

#72 ·
The Blue Mosque of Oslo, Norway

#73 ·
Gibraltar

#74 ·
Marbella, Spain

#77 ·
I don't like the way they build minarets in Europe

#76 ·
A cave mosque in Toulouse

#81 ·
The thing I dislike about most of these mosques (as I have mentioned) is their design. It looks like colonialist architecture. There is no connection between where the mosque is and what it looks like.

#88 ·
It's probably just cheaper and more conservative to copy an earlier model of a mosque than to venture into being the avant-garde of a completely different mosque architecture. Remember that those styles took centuries to develop and perfect.

I personally never found the different architecture style of the church in my town to be visually disturbing. It was cute and unique. I do agree however that a mosque with Gothic or Renaissance architecture would be cute too.

#94 ·
^^ yes for example, but that mosque stands out in the middle of what appears to be a shitty neighbourhood, but I think that instead of the mosque of Paris shown in the first page, this one would suit better there

#99 ·
shitty neighbourhood :?

BTW, it's a baroque style mosque, there are a couple such examples in Istanbul which goes to show that mosques can come in any shape and style, just like churches, with a couple of defining features.

#96 ·
Bajrakli Mosque, Belgrade

Delimedje Mosque :nuts: (the absolutely poorest part of Serbia but supertall minarets are a must it seems; Delimedje btw gas 445 residents)

Altun Alem Mosque, Novi Pazar

Mur Mosque, Novi Pazar

Lejlek Mosque, Novi Pazar

Hisardzik Mosque, Prijepolje

Priboj Mosque

Tutin Mosque

#103 ·
London Central Mosque

#104 · (Edited)
Valide mosque, Turkey

Ortaköy Mosque , Istanbul

#105 ·
Mosque of Kioutsouk Hasan, Canea, Greece

Suleymaniye Mosque, Rhodes, Greece

Tzisdaraki Mosque with Acropolis in background, Monastiraki square, Euboea, Greece

#140 ·
Suleymaniye Mosque, Rhodes, Greece

^^ That's a very poor and out-dated pic of the Suleiman Mosque in the old town of Rhodes. It's been restored since that pic, as have other historic mosques on the island and throughout Greece.

The Suleiman mosque was originally built in 1523 and rebuilt in 1828. It commemorates the Sultan's victory over the island. As you can see the elaborate minaret has been rebuilt.

There are many other mosques on Rhodes, including the beautifully crafted Mosque of Aga.

The Mosque of Ibrahim Pasha, 1531.

The Mosque of Murat Reis in the Turkish cemetery.

Elsewhere in Greece, the 16th century Koursoun Cami in Trikala by Sinan Pasha, the same architect as the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, has been restored and heritage listed, although no longer functioning as a mosque.

The Aslam Pasha Mosque, 1619 in Ioannina north-western Greece. Now a museum.

The Mosque of Gazi Hassan Pasha, 18th century on the island of Kos. Now serving as shops.

#106 ·
Haji Hasan Mosque, Kos, Greece

Defterdar mosque, Kos, Greece

Grand Mosque, Rhodes, Greece

Chadrevan Mosque, Rhodes, Greece

Odos Sokratos Mosque, Rhodes, Greece

#107 ·
Grande Mosquée de Paris, France

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.