daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old October 15th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #1
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Newgate Shopping Centre & Swallow Hotel Redevelopment | Newcastle | 5fl & 6fl | U/C

£100m Redevelopment of Newgate Shopping Centre.
Evening Chronicle, 10th October 2009

Part of the planned replacement for the Newgate Shopping Centre

MORE than 600 jobs could be created by a £100m City Centre redevelopment. Developers want to demolish the Newgate Street Shopping Centre and the towering hotel above it, replacing them with new offices, shops and THREE NEW HOTELS.

Irish developer McAleer and Rushe, which bought the Newgate Shopping Centre for £18.2m three years ago, is set to apply to Newcastle City Council for planning permission later this month. Its proposals also include creating a new street running from Newgate Street to Fenkle Street, splitting the block in two. Architects from Devereux have been working with English Heritage on the plans, which it hopes will complement Richard Grainger and John Dobson’s buildings on Grainger Street and Clayton Street, a conservation area, and the developer hopes its designs will breathe new life into a part of the City Centre, which has become a blot on the landscape following on from the building of the Gate and extension of Eldon Square.

Graham Mitchell, from McAleer and Rushe, said: “After Eldon Square and the Gate our area on Newgate Street was always the next area which should be redeveloped because it’s so central to that area and so prominent. It’s right between the prime shopping centres and the middle link through to the Central Station. We’re very confident about the scheme. We didn’t buy this with the intention of getting planning permission and doing nothing with it, we’re working hard to make it deliverable.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-24898034/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 31st, 2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: repaired broken links
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 6

Wonder if we can pull in the numerous posts we had on this from the 'Full Summary of Projects' thread recently !
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #3
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post

McAleer and Rushe are set to knock down the Newgate Shopping Centre and "Quality" Hotel and redevelop the area into three hotels and some retail. Also as part of the scheme a new street will be created between Newgate Street and Fenkle Street dividing the block into two. http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-24898034/
It's about time, what would that mean for players though? Also wouldn't the tennants have something to say about it?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #4
jwmacintyre

Likes (Received): 1

Images Broken

Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 31st, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
jwmacintyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #5
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I actually like that (despite how brief the drawings are). The windows should be clear on all floors though, then it would look 10 times better.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #6
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 6

I have to say i'm not a big fan of those renders, low rise hum drum springs to mind .. however, the Newgate centre itself just has to go
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
I have to say i'm not a big fan of those renders, low rise hum drum springs to mind .. however, the Newgate centre itself just has to go
It does seem interesting though. I think it's simple, it goes with our Neo Classic buildings, but has a little touch of modern within it. It would be interesting to see how the windows not being in line with those above them would work in real life though.

I guess it's hard to tell with those pictures, I also think its going to be one of those that will be hard to tell until they have gone up. I mean look at ES South, great renders, but they spoilt it by going cheap with the Faux windows that have no desire to even pretend that they are not real.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #8
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1216

I think it looks alright, but a lot will depend on the materials being right on the largely stone sections. In the clayton street picture it looks like the stone joins on to an old-looking building, is this the one already there or will they be building that new to form a kind of transition with the new block?
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Geordie Ahmed

I think it looks decent enough - not brilliant BUT miles better than what is there currently. Also i think it will be one of those that will look better when finished - provided they do have proper windows and not that plastic rubbish we see on ES
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #10
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

BIG improvement on the current Newgate Centre, God that place is awful, I really feel there is a renewed confidence emerging in the city, we seem to have a number of developments ongoing/nearing completion
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #11
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I quite like the look of it from them renders, the stone cladding looks similar to that of the new King's Gate building at Newcastle University, if it was to this quality it would be good.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #12
Geordie Ahmed

On those renders - am i right in assuming the 1st render is of Newgate Street, the 2nd is the corner of Newgate Street-Clayton Street, the 3rd?
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #13
johnnypd

the 3rd looks to be clayton street itself. i dont understand the classical building in that one - is it just their computerised version of the existing building or do they plan to knock it down and rebuild a cheap imitation?

no images of the grainger street side yet.
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #14
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
the 3rd looks to be clayton street itself. i dont understand the classical building in that one - is it just their computerised version of the existing building or do they plan to knock it down and rebuild a cheap imitation?

no images of the grainger street side yet.
You talking about the 1st render? That building is what is currently the Rose & Crown - so maybe that building is gonna stay? or is the whole lot supposed to be demolished?
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #15
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
You talking about the 1st render? That building is what is currently the Rose & Crown - so maybe that building is gonna stay? or is the whole lot supposed to be demolished?
I mean in the 3rd picture. the building to the right looks georgian, like the one there, but some details are different from the existing building and the stone matches up with the new build.
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 23

Give the poor guy on the computer a break! It's a compuetr image, it's not supposed to look exactly like it's real! The building you're talking about can be seen on Google maps street view as Mr Discount, I'm pretty sure. There's only so much you can show on a computer image, and this can sometimes be used by the developers to hoodwink the public, but seeing as they've used the same texture for the Rose and Crown and Mr Discount as the new ones, it would suggest that the new building will be in natural stone, or at least something that's supposed to look like that. More details will come out when it's in for planning, but I don't think it looks bad. Where's this new street they were talking about?
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #17
Chatton11

Ha! Without knowing, or meaning to, I've been defending someone I know! Just met the guy who actually did those renders in the pub, (didn't know he'd done them before now), and those images that were released to the Journal were unfinished images. I saw the latest ones, and they look a lot better. The planning app should be going in soon, so we'll all see the final images soon I would have thought
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #18
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Ha! Without knowing, or meaning to, I've been defending someone I know! Just met the guy who actually did those renders in the pub, (didn't know he'd done them before now), and those images that were released to the Journal were unfinished images. I saw the latest ones, and they look a lot better. The planning app should be going in soon, so we'll all see the final images soon I would have thought
this is your chance to get some exclusive info....
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #19
Chatton11

Other than it should be in for planning the end of next week, there's not much else to tell I'm afraid!
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #20
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Where you able to find out if the building would be done with natural stone or not?

Newcastle Metro Area

Tags
construction, development, developments, hotel, newcastle, newcastle hotels, newcastle students, project, project - newcastle area, projects, retail, student accommodation, students