daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1041
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salif View Post
For many people outside of the area it is quite a confusing route to navigate. If you're on the North-South line
and are completely incapable of reading an extremely simple map
Quote:
and see a train for St James then you might end up going the long way around.
Limited sympathy!

If you're that dim a bit of travel should broaden the mind.

And yes, I've got on wrong trains and serves me right, too.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1042
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacman View Post

This way a good overlap is provided, and the number of transfers at South Gosforth during the peak hours are reduced.
I dunno... If you see a fat bloke puffing over the footbridge at SG that's me burning off a few superfluous calories.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1043
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 651

Surely a sign on each platform on each station indicating the next station would solve any problems for out of towners.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM   #1044
Salif

Likes (Received): 337

It's easy when you're a local and thus used to it.

But there really isn't any need for a route to cross itself like that.
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #1045
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
It's easy when you're a local and thus used to it.

But there really isn't any need for a route to cross itself like that.
The thing is though what about the London underground? Thats the same situation, people don't know which train to get often and which station is next untill they get on the platform.

I don't see any problem with the northern line coming back on its self, though maybe direct routes between South Shields and Sunderland and such are a good idea.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1046
WilfBurnsFan

Apparently ours is the only Metro in the world where a line crosses over itself like that. We should celebrate it. And if a few stag-partyers get the wrong train, and get out by mistake at Percy Main and meet a grisly end, well, it's a price worth paying, in my view.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:28 AM   #1047
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Apparently ours is the only Metro in the world where a line crosses over itself like that. We should celebrate it. And if a few stag-partyers get the wrong train, and get out by mistake at Percy Main and meet a grisly end, well, it's a price worth paying, in my view.
Something similar happend in Vancouver, and Moscow once, though Vancouver wasn't a Metro system.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 02:42 AM   #1048
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I think that was once the case, but funnily enough Vancouver has a skytrain line that does the same called the Millennium line, crossing through Commercial Broadway twice on a full circuit.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1049
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
You'd have plenty of time to grow them if you were waiting for a Metro at Manors.

I heard DB had wanted to reduce the number of evening services but Nexus declined.

Am I the only one would like like to see the 'loop' line broken up into two simpler routes?

For many people outside of the area it is quite a confusing route to navigate. If you're on the North-South line and see a train for St James then you might end up going the long way around.
They should really just announce the St.James trains as the coast in the city centre and then only once you get to the coast have them as trains to St.James.
That should stop that.

I agree it is a bit confusing for those not used to metros.
When I first used it I remember I knew the one I needed was coming to the station but also the other line came through here. I had no idea which side to get on and whether the coming train was the one I wanted.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #1050
Hacman

Likes (Received): 25

Maybe something like in this map would work:

The network is divided into 4 key routes:

Service A:
Operates from South Shileds to Tynemouth - Every day of the week, during all operating hours.

Service B: Operates from Newcastle Airport to South Hylton -Every day of the week, during all operating hours.

Service C: Operates from St. James to Monkseaton - Every day of the week, during all operating hours. Monday - Friday daytimes and Saturday peak hours these services continue to Newcastle Airport, operating as "C+".

Service D: Operates from Pelaw to Monkseaton - Monday - Friday daytimes.

Service D could eventually be extended to Sunderland, operating on an "every other stop" basis outside Newcastle and Sunderland city centres.

Jon
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1051
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I took a metro journey today and noticed that on every carriage the automatic 'next station' signs have been installed, however were not operating. Does anyone know when these signs and the automated audio will come online on the trains?
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1052
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
I took a metro journey today and noticed that on every carriage the automatic 'next station' signs have been installed, however were not operating. Does anyone know when these signs and the automated audio will come online on the trains?
Every time someone asks that question to the Metro we keep getting told "In the coming weeks/month's", so between now and the end of time.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1053
Hacman

Rail accident in Newcastle leaves man critically ill

From the BBC:

A man is critically ill in hospital after falling between two train carriages at Newcastle Central Station.

Metro services were halted for an hour while the emergency services attended the scene on Monday evening.

A 40-year-old man was taken to Newcastle General Hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries.

An investigation is now under way to establish what happened and the Rail Accident Investigation Board has been informed.

Richard McClean, managing director of Metro operator DB Regio, said: "Our thoughts are with him and his family at this time."

Last edited by Hacman; April 6th, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Hacman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1054
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Yeah I read about that in the Chronicle, hope he gets better.

The driver must be pretty cut up aswell.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #1055
wj_gibson

Likes (Received): 69

The "next station" signs were working on a train I caught the other week. That's the only time I've seen them in action, though - perhaps part of a test?

For the record, I thought the text was running across the screen far too quickly on that occasion; if you were unfamiliar with the station names it wouldn't have been of much use.
wj_gibson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1056
Hacman

Last thing I heard, the boards have not been switched on for general use because of a software issue with the system.

Chances are, Nexus didnt put any kind of late delivery clause into the contract for these being installed, so we may be waiting a while...

It may be that when the software issue is solved (presumably with an update), the text scrolling is also at a more acceptable speed.

To be perfectly honest though, I think Nexus really needed to get their station-side PA systems sorted before installing new stuff. At most stations the timing for the announcements is totally wrong, the volume is mostly wrong, and some stations (i.e. Palmersville) seem to have an issue where the arrivals board isnt even seeing that the train has entered the station. (Possibly a track circuit issue?) And this is without mentioning the issues with manual announcements seeming to lack any standardised structure or script.

Dont get me started about those annoying audio adverts that seem to be making an appearance again lately... I guess anything on the Metro is for sale these days...

Jon
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #1057
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1214

came across this interesting map the other day - seems we made the bakerloo line!

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniemole/313981428/
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #1058
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Nice map - if only we could jump on a metro to some of those locations!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1059
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
came across this interesting map the other day - seems we made the bakerloo line!

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniemole/313981428/

Hi everyone, it's Mark Ovenden here, creator of the map you've posted above :-)

Here's some background and copyright info:

BACKSTORY:
The diagram was made for a book about subway/metro/transit map design.

UK hardback 2003/5: www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-Maps-World-v/dp/185414 2887
First version in Dutch: www.nnbh.com/titels/Ovenden,-M.,-Metrokaarten -van-de-were...
Most recent American edition (paperback): www.amazon.com/Transit-Maps-World-Mark-Ovende n/dp/0143112651

It is also available as a poster: www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/LTM/Maps/Posters/Produ ct/Urban_rai...

And as a 'Travel Journal':
www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/LTM/World_cities/Desig ner_gifts/Pr...

CITIES INCLUDED & LEFT OUT:
The reasoning behind it was to include all the cities that were mentioned in the book. This included full heavy Metro systems, a handful of more S-Bahn-like commuter systems which had metro-esque maps, hybrid light-rail/light-metro's and some modern LRT systems (but NOT ALL because of space & availability of maps - hence why certain important systems like Leipzig and many 'heritage' tram systems were not included in the book OR the map). It doesn't mean that they are not good systems, it was simply a practical issue!

REVISED EDITION:
We are currently preparing a revised edition which will no doubt have more pages and a wider spec - and that will undoubtedly mean a new map, on which I will try to include all the systems mentioned above :-)

COPYRIGHT:
In terms of copyright, though I own the original idea, we were exceptionally honored to be given permission to use the official Transport For London font (New Johnston), and permitted to make a map which closely resembles the London Underground diagram (colours/station markers, shape, interchange markers etc) - only a tiny handful of these have been permitted so far for example Simon Pattersons wonderful "Great Bear". We were also fortunate that Alan Foale who works at LS London and is the person who currently updates the official Tube map for TfL was kind enough to take my scrappy design and make it look like this map does!

If you are going to post this map on your blog/website, I cannot see any problem with that provided you explain what the map is and where it's from (ie "Taken from the Penguin book "Transit Maps of the World" "). However because it is copyrighted you cannot use it to profit from (ie to print copies on a t-shirt and sell them down the market/on ebay etc).

Anyway hope that clears it up and do feel free to add more suggestions and/or contact me directly via the website: www.markovenden.com

Cheers map-lovers :-)
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:18 AM   #1060
Hacman

http://nextmetro.co.uk/ - Just found this.

Looks promising, although kind of pi**es me off that there is no Windows Mobile support mentioned...

Seems that with SmartPhones you take a gamble when choosing your desired platform these days...

Bit of a long shot - but anyone here fancy teaming up to develop a browser based solution?

Jon

Tags
light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground