SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai | Metro

Tags
mumbai
7M views 34K replies 805 participants last post by  Dahanukarwadi 
#1 · (Edited)
Project Introduction:

The Mumbai metro is a rapid transit system being developed by both the PPP (Public-Private Partnership) and EPC models. Line 1 and Line 2 are being developed with Reliance as the consortium head while Line 3 is going to be developed by an implementation agency called MMRC whose role is similar to the DMRC in the Delhi Metro project.

Phase I
Code:
[B]Line #                Route          Length(Kms) Stations   Special Purpose Vehicle [/B]
Line 1 Versova - Andheri - Ghatkopar   11.4         12      Mumbai Metro One  Pvt. Ltd.
Line 2 Charkop - Bandra - Mankhurd     32           27      Mumbai Metro Transport Pvt. Ltd.
Line 3 SEEPZ - BKC - Colaba            33           25      Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation

Official Website of Line 1

Line 1 Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar - 11.4 Kms - Under Construction

1) GENERAL

o Journey time: 21 minutes
o Frequency: 3.5 minutes, going down to 3 minutes during peak hours
o Fares # (2003-2004 level)
+ Rs. 6 upto 3 Kms.
+ Rs. 8 between 3 Kms.to 8 Kms.
+ Rs. 10 beyond 8 Kms.

# Fares indicated are for 2003-2004 level and shall be revised @ 11% every fourth year (rounded off to the nearest rupee). Fares shall be fixed by Government of Maharashtra, through a notification.

2 ) ALIGNMENT

* The Proposed Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar Metro corridor will be 11.40 Km long double line on elevated viaduct with Standard Gauge (1435 mm)
* The proposed alignment starts at Versova, runs along the JP Road, crosses the SV Road and Western Railway tracks to the North of existing Andheri Suburban Railway Station
* The alignment travels on the MV Road ( Andheri-Kurla Road). It crosses the Western Express Highway (WEH) above the existing flyover and reaches Sakinaka
* From Sakinaka the alignment travels along the Andheri-Ghatkopar link Road upto Asalpha
* After Asalpha, the alignment crosses the Kadam Road and runs through Golibar Road upto LBS Marg after taking almost 90 degrees turn behind the Sarvodaya Hospital
* From the LBS Marg the alignment passes along the Heera Chand Desai Road upto Ghatkopar proposed Metro Station near the Ghatkopar Suburban Railway Station
* The take off point for Car depot is located near proposed DN Nagar Metro Station

3) CIVIL

* Elevated Viaduct with PSC Segmental construction
* Car Depot at DN Nagar
* Ballastless track
* Operational Control Centre (OCC), Metro Head Office and maintenance depots in the Car Depot premises
* There are twelve stations on the route. They are - Versova, D.N. Nagar, Azad Nagar, Andheri, Western Express Highway (WEH), Chakala, Airport Road, Marol Naka, Saki Naka, Subhash Nagar, Asalpha Road, Ghatkopar

4 ) ROLLING STOCK - provided by CSR Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Co. from China

Render:

Actual Train:

The first rake arrived at the GTI port in Mumbai in March 2010:

Line 1 Station Designs:

WEH Station

Versova Station

Line 2 Charkop - Bandra - Mankhurd - 32 Kms - Approved

Line 3 SEEPZ - BKC - Colaba/Cuffe Parade - 33 Kms - Planning stage

Phase 1

Master Plan

See less See more
#201 · (Edited)
Sam0m said:
WB will help Metro cross sea

The World Bank wants to help in the proposed metro rail link, which will run parallel to the upcoming Mumbai Trans-Harbour Link (MTHL) between Nhava and Sewri.

[DNA-Mum]

The Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd line will be extended to the Navi Mumbai airport in Phase II. This new Nhava-Sewri line to the airport makes it 2 proposed lines connecting Mumbai with the NM airport.

#207 ·
indiansunite - In the past you have written really nice weekly newsletters related to projects in India. Year end is here, can you provide 2007 yearly newsletter? 2007 was not a good year for finishing projects but it was a good year in terms of kicking off new projects. Also, can you provide timeline for projects we expect it to be done in 2008? There are lots of good news for 2008 like two new Airports, BWSL, ORR I, few delhi and mumbai flyovers etc.

#208 ·
errr...no

Its just a stupid map. Neither does it show the actual shape of Mumbai nor is it to scale.
And more importantly than my not very funny attemts at humour is; a big shout to you for supplying the map & all the other stuff that you do & the other heavy hitters of SSCI do for the rest of us .
cheers for that :) :cheers:

#209 ·
indiansunite - In the past you have written really nice weekly newsletters related to projects in India. Year end is here, can you provide 2007 yearly newsletter? 2007 was not a good year for finishing projects but it was a good year in terms of kicking off new projects. Also, can you provide timeline for projects we expect it to be done in 2008? There are lots of good news for 2008 like two new Airports, BWSL, ORR I, few delhi and mumbai flyovers etc.
Which are the two new airports that are coming up?

Are you guys talking about Airports in Bombay or India? If its Bombay I am guessing one of them to be New Bombay airport, is that right? BWSL coming up in 2008??? sweet..:banana:

#210 ·
youre having a bad day ?.As someone on the forum once said to me 'Chai & spliff time'
Nope. BTW, it's Chai, biskoot & spliff time.

I'll see what I can do. Most probably I'll come up with one around mid January. Delhi will get around 5-10 flyovers in 2008. I am not sure about Mumbai but the Western Express Highway has around 5 u/c flyovers on it. The whole road will be 10-12 laned. Then there's the 11.4 kms eastern freeway, 2.2kms double decker Santa cruz-chembur link road flyover etc.

Which are the two new airports that are coming up?
Hyd and Blore airports

bhargavsura said:
Are you guys talking about Airports in Bombay or India? If its Bombay I am guessing one of them to be New Bombay airport, is that right? BWSL coming up in 2008??? sweet..:banana:
Navi Mumbai airport will come up by 2012 if work gets underway before 2009. Going by the recent articles, BWSL will be functional in Dec 2008

#212 ·
Yup.. same here...

we all wish that the plans would go on as scheduled.

But what's our wish gotta do with the corrupt minded of the politicians and attention seeking environmentalists and other people who get themselves involved in bunch of unneeded mess and turns out that such mess never get cleaned up. Bombay thus becomes a place of unnecessary dirt stuck into its arteries which are hard to be dug up.

#213 ·
Line 3 news:

Colaba-Mahim Metro Rail corridor okayed

The third corridor of the Mumbai Metro rail project, which will run from Colaba to Mahim, has been cleared by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA).

Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said the route had been approved in the meeting of the MMRDA on Monday. Much of the stretch would run underground due to the problems of acquiring land in the crowded areas in the city, added Deshmukh, who is also the MMRDA chairman.

Officials present at the meeting held at the Sahyadri Guest House on Malabar Hill said the state government is considering two options:

• The first option comprised a Rs 8,857 crore proposal wherein the Colaba to Mahalaxmi stretch of the Metro would run underground.
  • A costlier Rs 12,152 crore option was also on the cards, where the entire Colaba-Mahim stretch would be underground and an elevated stretch from Mahim to Bandra would be provided.

The state cabinet will approve the final proposal and work on the 20-kilometre long route is expected to start by 2012. The state had also discussed the funding options with a visiting World Bank (WB) delegation.
Option 1 -->Rs8857 cr

Option 2 -->Rs12152 cr

#215 ·
still 5 years to go even before the project to start...

I am not expecting anything big from these people... if the project won't even start on time, I won't be surprised because it might take time for other other metros to finish up.

#217 ·
BMC approves proposals for felling trees along line 1

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s Tree Authority on Wednesday approved 22 proposals for felling trees affecting the Metro rail corridor of Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar. According to the proposals, 880 trees will be axed during the phase I of Mass Rapid Transit System. Besides this, the Tree Authority also granted permission for removing another 620 trees, taking the total number of tress to be hacked to 1500.

The permission for felling trees was sought for various works of MRTS projects including construction of portal for third track location, way structure, electric sub-station and station area’s Metro One Private Limited. The Tree Authority which met on Wednesday approved these proposals without much discussion.

#219 ·
exactly...

Its the right time for the environmentalists to cry about the felling of the trees. If they want to do it, do it now. I would be so much pissed if they come about calling about environment safety right when the project is half way through and then they will drag them to the court and start the blame game!!!

#220 ·
MMRDA seems to have finalized 2 new plots for setting up the car shed + precast yard to construct the precasted segments at Wadala and Andheri (JP Road). The following HT article switches from (has) acquired to finalized to inked the deal to has been directed to hand over

Push for delayed Metro project

Two plots in Wadala, Andheri have been finalised for use as construction sites

After months of negotiations and legal roadblocks delaying the start of Mumbai's Metro rail project, two plots of land have been finalised for pre-casting yards and a car shed. These plots, crucial to the project, are where the real, block-by-block construction will be done.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) inked the deal on two sites - a 6-acre plot on JP Road for a pre-casting yard and a car depot and another 15-acre plot at Wadala Truck Terminal, to be used as a precasting yard.

Officials in Mumbai Metro One said once the plots are handed over to the company, it would take three weeks to begin construction. The Home Guard department which owns the JP Road plot has been directed by the state government to hand it over for three years for the project. The project an elevated 11.4km rail line on concrete stilts will be built over Versova and connect with Ghatkopar via Andheri.

Construction cannot possibly happen along the route, what surveys indicate as the busiest and most congested corridor in the city. The two plots have been finalised only after a plot in DN Nagar, the first choice for a car depot and casting yard, could not be taken over for the project.

"We have decided to go ahead with these two plots as negotiations are still not over on the DN Nagar plot. These two plots will be handed over soon," said G.R.

Negotiations over the Wadala plot was on but was stalled after the MMRDA asked for steep commercial rents, nearly Rs 3 lakh per day, from Mumbai Metro One. Now the rent rates have been reduced because the MMRDA is itself a stakeholder in the project.
[HT]