daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Regional Cities

Old August 20th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 15

DUNEDIN | Projects

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

Excellent!!

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 1361

Is it a joke? I was hoping to find news and nothing is going on?
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:01 AM   #4
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 0

New freshly reorganised threads. Flyin and aucklandman are slowly getting everything moved into their relevant locales.

Lets see - a quick list of Dunedin projects: New covered stadium - has it's own, and deservedly so, thread.
Couple of wind farm developments over in the NZ energy thread.
Dunedin rail station own thread.

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post
Is it a joke? I was hoping to find news and nothing is going on?
No Its not a joke.......

We've only just got started................

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Verdi
Flying Kiwi

dunedin aiport is getting a big face lift. i would imagine the area around the new stadium is going to be revitalised and linked to the centre of town. And isn't there an new senic circle hotel just been built or opened near the octagon?
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM   #7
Davee
A Christchurch Son

? There are plans for an extensive waterfront development. Or did I dream that was going to happen.......Kaas.....

The Garden City
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 1361

tks. Now i know! I saw the new reorganised threads of Kiwiscrapers, fantastic!
I was hoping to find something... so i wait for news...
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post
tks. Now i know! I saw the new reorganised threads of Kiwiscrapers, fantastic!
I was hoping to find something... so i wait for news...
Skymino, do you have a link with Dunedin, cause if you do, it would be great to get Dunedinites out of their closets

The Garden City
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM   #10
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Converted Building Adds to Emerging Culture

Wednesday, 11 April 2007, 10:25 am

The conversion of a 1900 city building into seven upmarket and modern apartments in vibrant Dunedin is part of a small but emerging trend in a city renowned for its artistic and university culture. Marketed by Robin Greer and Christine O’Connor of Harcourts Dunedin, the ‘Golden Leaf’ building on 16 Manse Street has undergone a “huge transformation” to be completed as a smart inner-city apartment complex earlier this year. Mr Greer noted that while there was increasing interest in “apartment conversions” the main challenge was sourcing suitable buildings in close proximity to central city as “the office market is tight. That’s what makes these apartments so special. Their location is within a block of ‘the Exchange area’ and four blocks of ‘the Octagon’ – both well known inner city landmarks.”

Since marketing the complex, two of the seven have sold, with potential buyers for the remaining five expected to be those looking to enjoy the convenience of inner city living, to rural buyers looking for a low maintenance ‘weekender’ or off-farm investment. Priced from $348,000 to $640,000, each apartment is individually designed with floor areas ranging from approximately 85sqm to 160sqm. The apartments include high quality fittings, high studs and outlooks ranging from harbour to hill views. “No floor plan is the same, including some which are multi-level.” They range from two to three bedrooms, and one or two bathrooms. Other features include double glazing, security system, brand new lift, and adjacent underground secure car parking.

While working with mainly local interest, Mr Greer noted the apartments were an ideal introduction to Dunedin living for out of towners attracted to the area from the ‘Move to Dunedin’ campaign currently running.

The Garden City
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #11
staticnz

Does anyone know about the "Wall Street Mall" thats going up on George Street where the old DEKA building was?
staticnz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticnz View Post
Does anyone know about the "Wall Street Mall" thats going up on George Street where the old DEKA building was?
No idea where you are talking about - help us out

Kaas........

The Garden City
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:04 PM   #13
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 167

The Meridian Mall is a large shopping complex in Dunedin, New Zealand. it is the largest retail mall in the southern South Island, and one of the largest in the South Island as a whole.

The mall was constructed in 1995-1997 on the site of the former Arthur Barnett building in George Street as a central retail hub, with Arthur Barnett as one of the two anchor tenants. It opened on 5 September 1997 with the final development costs close to NZ$50 million. Arthur Barnett sold the mall to ING Real Estate Australia in 2003, using the proceeds to retire debt.

The mall contains 50 shops spread over three levels, including a large food court on the bottom level. The two largest retailers are K-Mart, which occupies much of the top floor, and Arthur Barnett, on parts of the ground floor and the basement level. Above these three levels is a multi-storey car park. The mall is linked to the smaller Golden Centre Mall to the south, and through this will eventually link to the proposed Wall Street Mall, planned to occupy the remainder of the two-hectare central city block.
The neon advertising sign for Arthur Barnett that sits atop the mall is a prominent feature on the Dunedin skyline. Named Can't Stop, it features a small man trying to control a large horse, possibly a Clydesdale.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #14
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
? There are plans for an extensive waterfront development. Or did I dream that was going to happen.......Kaas.....
The council wants to build a new office building at the waterfront to encourage further development.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #15
Theville01
l This is the Life l

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
The Meridian Mall is a large shopping complex in Dunedin, New Zealand. it is the largest retail mall in the southern South Island, and one of the largest in the South Island as a whole.

The mall was constructed in 1995-1997 on the site of the former Arthur Barnett building in George Street as a central retail hub, with Arthur Barnett as one of the two anchor tenants. It opened on 5 September 1997 with the final development costs close to NZ$50 million. Arthur Barnett sold the mall to ING Real Estate Australia in 2003, using the proceeds to retire debt.

The mall contains 50 shops spread over three levels, including a large food court on the bottom level. The two largest retailers are K-Mart, which occupies much of the top floor, and Arthur Barnett, on parts of the ground floor and the basement level. Above these three levels is a multi-storey car park. The mall is linked to the smaller Golden Centre Mall to the south, and through this will eventually link to the proposed Wall Street Mall, planned to occupy the remainder of the two-hectare central city block.
The neon advertising sign for Arthur Barnett that sits atop the mall is a prominent feature on the Dunedin skyline. Named Can't Stop, it features a small man trying to control a large horse, possibly a Clydesdale.
I bought a wopper from burger kings at the Meridian Mall and a guitar from k-mart
Theville01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #16
gutenblat

wow, big news that... hmm

I was in Dunedin for a visit last week - pretty cool city I reckon. It definitely is screaming out for some waterfront development - if there was a level crossing connection across the railway in the area of the new Chinese garden, the harbour would suddenly be very accessible to the city. There is already a restaurant in the Customs building on the waterfront in this area, so maybe a bit of development is on its way already.

Is the city growing in terms of population? There didn't seam to be much building work going on.
gutenblat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #17
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 975

image hosted on flickr
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #18
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 146

Was last in Dunedin in October and they were clearing the site for the Wall Street Mall on George Street. Thankfully this is one major Kiwi city which has a very vibrant and clean city centre with limited shopping opportunitites in the burbs. The opposite of Christchurch for instance.

I think that really has to do more with the fact the population has remained stagnant the last 30 years or so. They keep trying to get North Islanders to move there but no amount of fancy marketing and pictures of the city can hide the fact this place is cold and grey about 150% of the time.

Dont get me wrong but, I love it. It's got a great vibe and of course the students contribute to that. Also the city is great to explore on foot if you are into architechture- jam packed full of well maintained old buildings. From a visual perspective it is as far removed from Auckland as you can get.
Milan Luka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #19
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 975

image hosted on flickr
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #20
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 15

lol, shit that is steep! I really need to visit Dunedin sometime.

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote