daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation

Old December 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1
DaveofCali

Likes (Received): 1

Wilshire subway ban lifted

From Curbed LA:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2007/1...eader_comments

"A huge spending bill was passed yesterday freeing up all sorts of money for border security, energy/environmental programs, wars, and most importantly, a provision was included which will help push our subway dreams to the sea. Via the LA Times:

"The bill also includes a noncontroversial provision repealing the 1985 law banning the use of federal funds to build a tunnel to extend Los Angeles' subway to the city's Westside."

Unfortunately, some other transportation projects were shafted, including improvements to the Alameda Corridor and the Foothills Gold Line extension."
DaveofCali no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 33

This has already been posted in the Transit Issues thread.
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #3
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

The ban was not lifted. It still has to pass the Senate. And reality if it is lifted by the Senate it would be the one part of two that frees federal money for its construction. The repeal of Zev's law that bans local money to be used towards ANY subway construction in the county would have to go as well.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

Location: Currently residing in the good Ol' IE until something else arises from the horizon.
Likes (Received): 36

So is the ban lifted or not????

~~By Fern to the Fern*
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #5
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 0

The language to lift the ban is on the federal transportation budget which is currently making its way through the Senate. The House approved it, but we still need the Senate and President to approve it.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29

Beer, Guns, and Baseball

Take Down All Stop Lights
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #6
klamedia
Silver Lake

No. It is not lifted.
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #7
DaveofCali

Likes (Received): 1

L.A.'s got to be the only place in the world where building a subway is prohibited by law.
DaveofCali no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:20 AM   #8
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 179

That's Zev for ya.
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:32 AM   #9
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 179

I have a question, and I may not be entirely accurate on this. I've bought the Times up here from the year 1988 to 2005, at a buck a pop. Whenever I've read about construction or development being blocked, this unique sounding name kept coming up; Zev Yaroslavski. I don't know if he's mostly responsible, he's only in the 3rd district, but how many years do you think he has set back this city? Am I wrong in assuming this?
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM   #10
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 106

he is also responsible for the ban of local money being used for subways in LA. He is generally an idiot, but nowhere near as bad as Mike Antonovich, who should be thrown in front of the Purple Line extension as the first train pulls in. that guy is an ass, really.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM   #11
JRinSoCal

Likes (Received): 2

I heard on the news that once the ban is lifted construction would start in 2011.
JRinSoCal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM   #12
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 3

looks like it was lifted:

Campaign for subway gains speed
By Rick Orlov, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 12/20/2007 09:41:20 PM PST

The day after the lifting of a 21-year federal ban on tunneling under Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles officials set about planning and raising the nearly $5 billion expected to be needed to pay for a long-heralded "Subway to the Sea."

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and other city officials held a news conference Thursday in front of the Metro Red Line station in downtown Los Angeles and hailed action by Congress that will clear the way for potential federal funding to complete the nearly 12-mile extension from Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue to the Pacific Ocean.

"It will be the most well-traveled subway in the nation when it is completed," Villaraigosa said. "It will go a long way to reducing gridlock in the Westside and downtown Los Angeles, the two biggest job centers in the region."

During the 2005 mayoral election, Villaraigosa campaigned vigorously for the proposal - which required the federal government to lift its funding ban instituted after a 1986 explosion at a Ross Dress for Less store in the Fairfax area.

Since then, Villaraigosa convinced Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Los Angeles, to drop the ban on funding that he had pushed through Congress.

"I remember, as an aide to Councilman (John) Ferraro, being there and seeing the flames shoot up from the street," Councilman Tom LaBonge recalled.

"But even though we had a problem then, we were able to study it and decide we can go ahead and build this subway safely."
f
Still, to build the project will require a substantial investment, with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority already having committed its funds for existing projects.

"We need to look at every aspect of this and determine the best way to move ahead," Villaraigosa said, declining to say whether any new taxes would be considered.

Councilmen Jack Weiss and Bill Rosendahl said they would like to see a public-private partnership pay for the project, with private partners shouldering construction costs.

"I think we should look to other cities to see what they have done to work out a relationship with private firms," Weiss said.

LaBonge has suggested the city ask voters to approve a parcel tax to fund future construction projects, but Villaraigosa said he is not yet prepared to back a single proposal.

Funding options would have to be studied, as would environmental considerations. The mayor estimated it would take more than three years to complete environmental studies and engineering work.
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM   #13
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I have a question, and I may not be entirely accurate on this. I've bought the Times up here from the year 1988 to 2005, at a buck a pop. Whenever I've read about construction or development being blocked, this unique sounding name kept coming up; Zev Yaroslavski. I don't know if he's mostly responsible, he's only in the 3rd district, but how many years do you think he has set back this city? Am I wrong in assuming this?
Truth is always on the side of the worthy. Really Zev's law passed w/ local support so eventhough he initiated it he couldn't have got it passed without the support of the people.
Unfortunately not enough credit is given the MTA in my opinion concerning transit. When the law was passed other lines were moved up on the list that wouldn't require (full) subway tunneling such as Pasadena Gold, Eastside Gold and Expo. Rail building has never ceased since it started in the early 90's even in the face of anti-rail alliances. I doubt any other transit agency in any other big US city had to go up against the impossible trinity of Zev, Waxman and the BRU and still in 20 years have constructed close to 100 miles of rail and busways and help initiate the city on a path about how to handle density in smarter ways. Of course their are things that I'm strongly critical with the MTA such as funding the 710 tunnel construction, the trickiness of late night bus service, why at the least the Blue and Red can't run 24 hours but of course some of this is funding and the other half would be plain bureaucratic idiocy. Think about it if the MTA was so laxed about "covertly" building a rail network, why would their be such strong resistance? You can't have resistance without progression. But back on topic, I have no doubts that this will eventually be built and better yet now because the Purple Line to the sea would have a supporting spine to work with which will make it even more useful and spur even more rail building(being optimistic).

But Zev's law has to be repealed so that the Feds will match the funds raised locally. No local money=No Fed money.
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM   #14
solongfullerton

ArchiTennis, was this article from the LA Times? I can't find it on their website.
solongfullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #15
klamedia
Silver Lake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQiPBSCy-_o
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #16
hoosier

Likes (Received): 8

Give me a shovel, I am ready to start digging!!
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #17
JRinSoCal

Likes (Received): 2

You can have the shovel. I'll drive the tunnel boring machine.

Seriously, when is this thing gonna break underground already?
JRinSoCal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #18
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 126

cool video!
saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #19
kidA

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
Leave it to Metro [and Los Angeles] to come up with an interesting concept to help better understand the Westside Extension. I feel like most people don't care about reading the pdf files that Metro gives out every couple of months that update us on the process of this extension. So this video summarizes all that information to a nice, 4 minute, somewhat funny/entertaining video to entice people to learn about this project!
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #20
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Give me a shovel, I am ready to start digging!!
The actor gets you so excited about the project you want to run out to Wilshire and La Brea with your own shovel and start to dig......police and NIMBY be damned!

No "westy" comment? And the guy is asian and everything.