daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Φωτογραφίες και Πολιτισμός | Photography and Culture > Φωτογραφίες από όλο τον κόσμο | Around the World

Old October 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1
DeTaipa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Euro04|Portugal - The best Euro ever by UEFA - stadiums and cities

"The 2004 UEFA European Football Championship (or just Euro 2004) was the twelfth edition of the UEFA European Football Championship, a quadrennial football tournament for European nations, and was held in Portugal, between 12 June and 4 July 2004. Like in the previous two editions in England and Netherlands/Belgium, sixteen teams contested the final tournament after going through a qualification round which began in 2002. The tournament took place in ten venues located in eight cities — Aveiro, Braga, Coimbra, Guimarães, Faro, Leiria, Lisbon and Oporto."

Oficial Song of Euro 2004:
Força - Nelly Furtado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCUuyghmTus

The cities and stadiums:

Aveiro
Population: 75.000
Central Portugal

Aveiro Municipal Stadium

Capacity: 30.000

Braga
Population: 170.000
North Portugal

Axa Stadium

Coimbra
Population: 160.000
Central Portugal

Coimbra City Stadium

Faro
Population: 60.000
South Portugal

Algarve Stadium

Guimarães
Population: 160.000
North Portugal

D. Afonso Henriques Stadium

Leiria
Population: 110.000
Central Portugal

Dr. Magalhães Pessoa Stadium

Lisboa (Lisbon)
Population: 2.000.000 in conurbation, 3.000.000 in metro area
South Portugal

Luz Stadium

Capacity: 65.000

Alvalade XXI Stadium

Capacity: 50.000

Porto (Oporto)
Population: 1.000.000 in conurbation, 2.000.000 in metro area
North Portugal

Dragão Stadium

Capacity: 50.000

Bessa Stadium

DeTaipa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 31st, 2008, 01:14 AM   #2
SonOfSparta
Γνώθι σαυτόν

Likes (Received): 2

SonOfSparta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:30 AM   #3
BANNED

Dragao stadium looks awsome.

By the looks of things, if some of the new stadiums in Greece get built, there is no reason why Greece shouldn't be able to host a Euro.
1821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:56 PM   #4
DeTaipa
BANNED

SonOfSparta, Greece won in the best Euro

Last edited by DeTaipa; October 31st, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
DeTaipa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1821 View Post

Dragao stadium looks awsome.

By the looks of things, if some of the new stadiums in Greece get built, there is no reason why Greece shouldn't be able to host a Euro.
ya Dragao Stadium is spectacular. Da Luz also is wonderful

You debunk the stadiums in Portugal or do you think that Greece could also?
I also wish that Greece undertake a Euro ... Italy, Portugal and Spain have had only a lack Greece to all the countries of South Europe are hosts of this great feast And I would also like to Lisbon hold the 2020 Olympic Games... We are thinking about it
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #6
lysandros

euro 2004 by far the best ever, the only bad think was that greece won it.... ;-)
panathinaikos is building a new stadium designed by the architect that build dragao,its gonna be like exactly the same.da luz really nice as well.both they are world class.
ronaldo the best footballer in the world and murigno the best manager in the world !!!!
for a country the same size as greece thats unbelievable
what do you eat there in portugal?
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:57 AM   #7
DeTaipa
BANNED

ya, I think that Portugal and Greece are the countries most similar in matters of population and area of territory...
Portuguese people eat feijoada and cozido à portuguesa (traditional Portuguese food "heavy")

Last edited by DeTaipa; November 1st, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM   #8
Olympios
BANNED

Putting aside the amazing stadia, what amazed me most in Portugal was the behavior of the football fans there. I hope that one day we'll reach their lever of respect to the opponent...
Olympios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM   #9
DeTaipa
BANNED

^You were here during the Euro? You were treated badly by football fans? Let's say we have Latin blood
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM   #10
SonOfSparta
Γνώθι σαυτόν

There are big Portuguese and Greek communities in Toronto. We all had fun watching the Euro cup in 2004 together with a little bit of rivalry. Since this city is so multicultural every ethnic group gathers in their neighbourhoods during the World and Euro cups to watch the games. Whichever 'country' wins the game that part of the city (Greektown, Little Italy, etc) shuts down and has a spontaneous street festival.

Last edited by SonOfSparta; November 1st, 2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:28 AM   #11
DeTaipa
BANNED

Interesting. Yes it's true there is a large Portuguese community in Toronto. I have 4 cousins there. You live in Toronto?
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:40 AM   #12
SonOfSparta
Γνώθι σαυτόν

Yes, half my high school was Portuguese mostly from the Azores. Overall, I believe both our communities are made up of over 150,000 people each, in the Greater Toronto Area.

Last edited by SonOfSparta; November 1st, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM   #13
DeTaipa
BANNED

My cousins live in Mississauga, a suburb east of Toronto. You know? The Azores Islands were the leading emitter of Portugal to Canada, particularly Toronto. (I do not like the Azorean accent )
When unfolded the waves of emigration from Greece to the outside? In Portugal was mainly from the decade from 50 to 80 of the last century mainly to France, U.S.A, Germany, Canada, Luxembourg, Australia... What were the major destinations of the greeks? Once I read a book tour of American Express on Greece that about 1/3 of the greek population emigrated, lived in foreign. It's true?
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:15 AM   #14
SonOfSparta
Γνώθι σαυτόν

Mississauga is a suburb West of Toronto. Most Greeks live in the East end of Toronto, I grew up and live in the West end. Most Greeks immigrated after WWII, various regions of Greece had immigrants leaving for various countries. World War II vastly changed the map of Europe and also caused the greatest mass migration of peoples. Here in Toronto, many Greeks immigrants came from the Peloponnese region, but we also have Greeks representing all parts of the country. I know from friends of mine whose parents are from the island of Eubea that many of their relatives immigrated to Belgium. What happened in war torn Greece is like what happens in many other war torn countries, whoever first immigrates to a safe nation usually sends word back to their family, and so others from the same region migrate to that same foreign country. The majority of Greeks outside of Greece settled in the US, Canada and Australia, there are also many in Germany, Belgium, France the UK and other countries. In some places like Sicily and Alexandrea Egypt, Greeks have lived and immigrated there for thousands of years. According to what I have read, half of Greeks live outside of Greece, including people like myself who are not Greek citizens but who have parents that are both Greek citizens. Although half the population of Toronto is made up of people who were born in other countries, the immigrant experience has brought people together in a new and positive ways. My parents at first could not speak English, neither could our Portuguese neighbours, yet they all got along with their broken English because they shared a common struggle, to make a better future for their kids.

Last edited by SonOfSparta; November 1st, 2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM   #15
DeTaipa
BANNED

Thanks! Since I know some think Portuguese, are two peoples who are close culturally and physically? They told me that the only major difference was the language and religion (Portuguese - Catholic, Greek - Ortodox)... I said I do not know if this is the reality. If the immigrants and their children returned to Portugal spend 11 million to 16 million. The Nelly Furtado was born in Canada but his parents are Portuguese, his blood is Lusitanian.
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:50 AM   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTaipa View Post
ya Dragao Stadium is spectacular. Da Luz also is wonderful

You debunk the stadiums in Portugal or do you think that Greece could also?
I also wish that Greece undertake a Euro ... Italy, Portugal and Spain have had only a lack Greece to all the countries of South Europe are hosts of this great feast And I would also like to Lisbon hold the 2020 Olympic Games... We are thinking about it
No no, I wasn't criticising the Portuguese stadiums, they are wonderful.
What I meant was 7 of the stadiums were 30,000 capacity, and three 50,000 or more.
If the new stadiums of the big clubs ever get built(Panathinaikos will definetly get a new stadium, only question is will AEK, PAOK and Aris do the same?), Greece will certainly have the stadiums to back up a serious Euro bid.
1821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:11 AM   #17
arxeos

Likes (Received): 204

Aris will get a new stadium if im right i dont know 100% though
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM   #18
Olympios
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTaipa View Post
^You were here during the Euro? You were treated badly by football fans? Let's say we have Latin blood
I said the opposite. The Portuguese were very polite
Olympios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM   #19
DeTaipa
BANNED

^Not always Btw you came to Portugal during the Euro?
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM   #20
DeTaipa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1821 View Post
No no, I wasn't criticising the Portuguese stadiums, they are wonderful.
What I meant was 7 of the stadiums were 30,000 capacity, and three 50,000 or more.
If the new stadiums of the big clubs ever get built(Panathinaikos will definetly get a new stadium, only question is will AEK, PAOK and Aris do the same?), Greece will certainly have the stadiums to back up a serious Euro bid.
Maybe in 2016! Rooting for you!
What greek cities that could be the host? Athens, Thesaloniki, Patras... And more?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: