search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2015, 12:44 AM   #4261
Calvin W
Canadian eh!
 
Calvin W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,944
Likes (Received): 208

Lol, not in a million years...
__________________
Really wish you would stop assuming you speak for everyone. On this forum you only speak for yourself.
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #4262
Bossman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 67
Likes (Received): 3

My take on a potential bid .. and I think a lot more realistic..
I think 10 stadia is all that is needed. BMO Field in Toronto can be a back up if Halifax or expanded Tim Horton's doesn't work out for whatever reason
The key though for this bid is a new 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto. This bid does not work if there is no new stadium to host the final in Toronto.

TORONTO - New Centerpiece Stadium (80,000) Opening Match, Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final, Final
MONTREAL - New Stadium at the site of Olympic Stadium (70,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Semi Final
REGINA - New Mosaic Stadium (40,000) Group Stage, Round 16
OTTAWA - Renovated/Upgraded TD Place Stadium (45,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
HALIFAX - New Stadium (38,000) Group Stage
HAMILTON - Renovated/Upgraded Tim Horton's Field (40,000) Group Stage
WINNIPEG - Renovated/Upgraded Investors Group Field (40,000) Grroup Stage, Round of 16
CALGARY - New Stadium at the site of Mcmahon Stadium (50,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
EDMONTON - Renovated/Upgraded Commonwealth Stadium (60,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Semi Final
VANCOUVER - BC Place (54,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
TORONTO - Renovated/Upgraded BMO Field (40,000) Group Stage (Back up stadium)
Bossman1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #4263
irani8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 387
Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman1 View Post
My take on a potential bid .. and I think a lot more realistic..
I think 10 stadia is all that is needed. BMO Field in Toronto can be a back up if Halifax or expanded Tim Horton's doesn't work out for whatever reason
The key though for this bid is a new 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto. This bid does not work if there is no new stadium to host the final in Toronto.

TORONTO - New Centerpiece Stadium (80,000) Opening Match, Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final, Final
MONTREAL - New Stadium at the site of Olympic Stadium (70,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Semi Final
REGINA - New Mosaic Stadium (40,000) Group Stage, Round 16
OTTAWA - Renovated/Upgraded TD Place Stadium (45,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
HALIFAX - New Stadium (38,000) Group Stage
HAMILTON - Renovated/Upgraded Tim Horton's Field (40,000) Group Stage
WINNIPEG - Renovated/Upgraded Investors Group Field (40,000) Grroup Stage, Round of 16
CALGARY - New Stadium at the site of Mcmahon Stadium (50,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
EDMONTON - Renovated/Upgraded Commonwealth Stadium (60,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Semi Final
VANCOUVER - BC Place (54,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
TORONTO - Renovated/Upgraded BMO Field (40,000) Group Stage (Back up stadium)
FIFA won't do another USA. Now they look for World Cups to leave legacy, and for Canada it will have no legacy if all they use is Canadian football stadiums. World Cups in the future will have outrageous price tags and even in the future if USA wants the bid, they will be forced to build new football-specific stadiums which can have the capacity reduced after the WC and leave a legacy, for example imagine a football specific 60k stadium in Seattle.
irani8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #4264
Bossman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 67
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irani8 View Post
FIFA won't do another USA. Now they look for World Cups to leave legacy, and for Canada it will have no legacy if all they use is Canadian football stadiums. World Cups in the future will have outrageous price tags and even in the future if USA wants the bid, they will be forced to build new football-specific stadiums which can have the capacity reduced after the WC and leave a legacy, for example imagine a football specific 60k stadium in Seattle.
Legacy??!!
Is that what you are calling Qatar?!!!

Canada is a new market for them and being close to USA would have benefits
Bossman1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #4265
hittentot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 15
Likes (Received): 4

Any updates about the future home of the Oilers?
hittentot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #4266
will101
Registered User
 
will101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: silicon valley or Salem
Posts: 4,481
Likes (Received): 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittentot View Post
Any updates about the future home of the Oilers?
It has it's own thread here.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 02:32 PM   #4267
ChesterCopperpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 998
Likes (Received): 580

Sens owner Eugene Melnyk wants to play an outdoor game in Ottawa beside Parliament Hill in 2017 using a temporary stadium - I have to admit that would look pretty cool.

http://www.tsn.ca/melnyk-confirms-se...-hill-1.381261

ChesterCopperpot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #4268
Lord David
Registered User
 
Lord David's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,722
Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman1 View Post
My take on a potential bid .. and I think a lot more realistic..
I think 10 stadia is all that is needed. BMO Field in Toronto can be a back up if Halifax or expanded Tim Horton's doesn't work out for whatever reason
The key though for this bid is a new 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto. This bid does not work if there is no new stadium to host the final in Toronto.

TORONTO - New Centerpiece Stadium (80,000) Opening Match, Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final, Final
MONTREAL - New Stadium at the site of Olympic Stadium (70,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Semi Final
REGINA - New Mosaic Stadium (40,000) Group Stage, Round 16
OTTAWA - Renovated/Upgraded TD Place Stadium (45,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
HALIFAX - New Stadium (38,000) Group Stage
HAMILTON - Renovated/Upgraded Tim Horton's Field (40,000) Group Stage
WINNIPEG - Renovated/Upgraded Investors Group Field (40,000) Grroup Stage, Round of 16
CALGARY - New Stadium at the site of Mcmahon Stadium (50,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
EDMONTON - Renovated/Upgraded Commonwealth Stadium (60,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Semi Final
VANCOUVER - BC Place (54,000) Group Stage, Round of 16, Quarter Final
TORONTO - Renovated/Upgraded BMO Field (40,000) Group Stage (Back up stadium)
Montreal won't want to build any new stadium. I'd expect a mere redeveloped bowl, especially the lower part. The video screens/scoreboard needs to go. Add a new proper working retractable roof a la Vancouver's BC Place Stadium with a hanging video board. Forget about baseball configuration for good.

Calgary's McMahon could be upgraded, there's no need for replacement, especially after the major 1988 Winter Olympic upgrades. Just make it all individual seater to 50,000+.

Could Moncton work? Expand the stadium there, even if you want to keep the track.

Quebec City would be a must. A historic city, which would warrant a new stadium.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lord David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #4269
Calvin W
Canadian eh!
 
Calvin W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,944
Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Montreal won't want to build any new stadium. I'd expect a mere redeveloped bowl, especially the lower part. The video screens/scoreboard needs to go. Add a new proper working retractable roof a la Vancouver's BC Place Stadium with a hanging video board. Forget about baseball configuration for good.

Calgary's McMahon could be upgraded, there's no need for replacement, especially after the major 1988 Winter Olympic upgrades. Just make it all individual seater to 50,000+.

Could Moncton work? Expand the stadium there, even if you want to keep the track.

Quebec City would be a must. A historic city, which would warrant a new stadium.
Calgary won't spend one dime on renovating McMahon. It is now the worst stadium in the CFL and no amount of money can save it. Lipstick on a pig....
__________________
Really wish you would stop assuming you speak for everyone. On this forum you only speak for yourself.
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #4270
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~
 
blacktrojan3921's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 384
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Montreal won't want to build any new stadium. I'd expect a mere redeveloped bowl, especially the lower part. The video screens/scoreboard needs to go. Add a new proper working retractable roof a la Vancouver's BC Place Stadium with a hanging video board. Forget about baseball configuration for good.
Yeah I highly doubt that's going to happen. The Big O is in such a sad state that it appears it would be more economically feasible to just build a new stadium then to repair the old one.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #4271
Welkin
Registered User
 
Welkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Just beyond the 407
Posts: 210
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord David View Post
Montreal won't want to build any new stadium. I'd expect a mere redeveloped bowl, especially the lower part. The video screens/scoreboard needs to go. Add a new proper working retractable roof a la Vancouver's BC Place Stadium with a hanging video board. Forget about baseball configuration for good.

Calgary's McMahon could be upgraded, there's no need for replacement, especially after the major 1988 Winter Olympic upgrades. Just make it all individual seater to 50,000+.

Could Moncton work? Expand the stadium there, even if you want to keep the track.

Quebec City would be a must. A historic city, which would warrant a new stadium.
We wouldn't even pay for real grass for the Women's World Cup and you expect us to build new stadiums for a soccer tournament? Never going to happen. We have much greater needs for billions of taxpayer dollars. Let them hold the Cup down in the states and let them pay for the bill, while we go down and enjoy world class soccer. What do we have to prove by hosting the Cup? What are we trying to do, join the cool kids table?
Welkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #4272
carnifex2005
Registered User
 
carnifex2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,455
Likes (Received): 864

Interesting tweet today...

Canada current favourite to host 2026 World Cup according to UK oddsmakers. 4/1. USA is 8/1.

In other news, the current head of the Canadian Soccer Association is on the FIFA 2016 Reform team (that got voted on successfully today) and is also angling to become the next head of CONCACAF. Canada also supported and voted for the new head of FIFA as well. Politically, Canada certainly is getting active in FIFA which is great after the very successful Women's World Cup.
__________________

Cjones2451 liked this post
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 03:43 AM   #4273
5portsF4n
Registered User
 
5portsF4n's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,998
Likes (Received): 644

In a dog fight with the US, Canada will lose. Nonetheless, interesting that the top three (of four) front runners are from North America.
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 04:42 AM   #4274
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 6,783
Likes (Received): 1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
In a dog fight with the US, Canada will lose. Nonetheless, interesting that the top three (of four) front runners are from North America.
Under most circumstances, yes, but on the heels of the FIFA investigations spearheaded by the FBI and IRS the circumstances might be... unique.

But Canada will need to validate their proposal, first. They need to demonstrate they can fulfill the stadium requirements.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #4275
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 27,448
Likes (Received): 8172

Informal proposal for a CFL stadium for Saskatoon, Saskatchewan:

__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

will101 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #4276
will101
Registered User
 
will101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: silicon valley or Salem
Posts: 4,481
Likes (Received): 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Informal proposal for a CFL stadium for Saskatoon, Saskatchewan:
Have the tenth CFL franchise discussions started again?
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #4277
Cjones2451
Registered User
 
Cjones2451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by will101 View Post
Have the tenth CFL franchise discussions started again?
Halifax and Quebec City are the most logical next choices, but both lack suitable stadiums. Halifax does not seem to have the political will or dollars to build a stadium and Quebec City seems focused on getting an NHL team with the new arena.

Maybe something happens with a Canadian World Cup bid for 2026, but until then, I don't see it happening anytime soon
Cjones2451 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #4278
abesKIA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Informal proposal for a CFL stadium for Saskatoon, Saskatchewan:
Curious to your source on this. I live in Saskatoon and there is nary a whiff of this in the air. Nice mountains in the background too
abesKIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #4279
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 27,448
Likes (Received): 8172

Quote:
Originally Posted by abesKIA View Post
Curious to your source on this. I live in Saskatoon and there is nary a whiff of this in the air. Nice mountains in the background too
It was a while ago so not sure where I found it.
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #4280
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 27,448
Likes (Received): 8172

Found this for LeBreton Flats in downtown Ottawa.





http://ottawacitizen.com/storyline/t...for-the-sens-2
__________________
World's 1st Baseball Game: June 4th, 1838, Beachville, Ontario, Canada
North America's Oldest Pro Football Teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) and Hamilton Tiger Cats (1869)

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

will101 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, north america

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu