SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Baltimore Development News

12M views 70K replies 461 participants last post by  rockin'.baltimorean 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated August 1, 2014

A lot has changed since this thread was first created. I’m updating this post with a new list. It is current – as far as I know – as of August 1, 2014. I left the original post at the bottom to preserve it for posterity.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Exelon Tower, Harbor Point
415,000 sq.ft. office, 103 apartments, 41,000 sq.ft. retail

520 Park Ave., Mount Vernon
171 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former department store and office building)

The Lenore, Downtown
102 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Federal Reserve Bank)

10 Light Street, Downtown
430 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Baltimore Trust Company Building)

Jefferson Square Apartments, Washington Hill
300 apartments, ground-level retail

Hyatt Place, Harbor East
208 hotel rooms, ground-level retail

301 North Charles Street, Downtown
96 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Baltimore Life Insurance Company Building)

Calvert & Light Apartments, Downtown
181 apartments, 6,000-12,000 sq.ft. retail (conversion of the former USFG building is underway; approval still needed for demolition of 30 S. Calvert Street and construction of nine-story apartment building)

Marketplace at Fells Point
160 apartments, 27,000 sq.ft. retail

Rotunda Redevelopment, Hampden
379 apartments, 152,000 sq.ft. retail, 140,00 sq.ft. office

2 East Wells, Riverside
153 apartments, 6,000 sq.ft. retail

APPROVED AND PROPOSED

414 Light Street, Downtown
372 apartments, ground-level retail

Mechanic Theater Redevelopment, Downtown
476 apartments, 110,000 sq.ft. retail

325 West Baltimore Street, Downtown
229 apartments, 100,000 sq.ft. office, 8,00 sq.ft. retail

One Light Street, Downtown
350 apartments, ground-level retail

900 East Fort Ave., Locust Point
275 apartments, 15,000 sq.ft. retail

601 South Charles Street, Downtown
351 apartments (This will replace the closed University Specialty Hospital)
Rendering at this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...tment-complex-slated-to-replace.html?page=all

Harbor Point Apartments, Phase 1, Harbor Point
285 apartments, ground-level retail
Rendering at this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...18-story-harbor-point-apartment-building.html

Stadium Square, Federal Hill
300,000 sq.ft. office, undetermined number of apartments and retail
Renderings unavailable

Four Seasons Residence, Harbor East
63 condos atop the existing Four Seasons hotel
Renderings unavailable

Below begins the original post from December 16, 2008

Link to old thread

Under Construction

Four Seasons (44 stories, 494 ft.) & Legg Mason (26 stories, 350 ft.)

Mercy Expansion Tower (18 stories)

Morgan Stanley (6 stories)

McHenry Row (6 stories)

Johns Hopkins Children’s Center (12 stories)

The Fitzgerald (5 stories)

JHU Biopark and Related Developments

UMB Biopark

The Domain

Proposed

Westport

Canton Crossing

State Center

10 Inner Harbor

300 East Pratt Street

(Not the actual rendering. Just a concept)

Harbor Point

Naing Towers

Morris A. Mechanic Theater Redevelopment

The Rotunda Redevelopment

701 E. Baltimore Street

Superblock
Cityscape

Gateway South

Rec Pier Development
University of Baltimore Law School

Baltimore Arena

Sheraton Four Points
The Olmstead

The Pinnacle

Broadway Market Redevelopment

Gateway at Washington Hill

Greektown Condos

Chesapeake Square

Waxter Center Redevelopment
Station North Redevelopment

Pratt Street Redesign

Rash Field Redevelopment

Poppleton Redevelopment

Uplands Redevelopment
Barclay Rehabilitation

Red Line
Green Line
Charles Street Trolley

See less See more
#202 ·
Sounded more like an angry rant full of arguments he's given before than the realistic and on the money reasons given by 30 Floors Up. Too much emphasis on state corporate income taxes and statewide "image problems", and less on the actual mechanics of building a building that tall. Of course, Baltimore isn't an enormous corporate draw like it used to be, but that has more to do with history than math. Plenty of other states have higher corporate income taxes than MD. California, Indiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and West Virginia. But then why do Boston and Minneapolis, and especially Indianapolis and Pittsburgh all have taller buildings? It really is more about good economic times, developers taking a chance on a market, and a relatively low office vacancy rate, coupled with the cost of building a tower. There are many exceptions to the rule. Plus, it sounds like he forgot that 50-story towers are not only office buildings, but also condo/apartment buildings, hotels, and a mix of everything in between.

#204 ·
The more I see this, the better I like it. In fact, if the new Hilton looked somewhat like this, I would like it better. You guys may recall, that in the past, I've said the Hilton looks more like a hospital than a hotel.
We often hear about how Baltimore lacks big corporations that build big buildings, but for all that we are real lucky to have a lot of institutions like Mercy that are NOT likely to move or crash their stock. I used to have a family connection to one of the nuns that was the equivalent of a CEO for Mercy and according to her, in her modest understated way, they thought about moving to the 'burbs way back in the '60's but came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be right to leave their patients and abandon the city. So they stayed and grew anyway. Mercy may not be a "cool" place, but it's a source of a lot of jobs, a growing campus and activity in a section of downtown that would probably be dead otherwise. I can't imagine a corporation taking the view that leaving "wouldn't be right".

#205 ·
Merry Christmas to all Christians in the forum !
The latter part of December plays host to many new and ancient holidays; those traditions have overlapped and intermingled in this big mixing bowl of a country. Merry Christmas to the Christians and a great Hanukkah to the Jews, a good Yule to the Germanics, Kwaanza to it's practioners, Mithras Birthday to the Mithraists, as well as Saturnalia and the Feast of Fools and the Solstice to the people who like that.

#206 · (Edited)
The biggest problem is that Baltimore lacks corporations, and the ones that are here like Constellation are run by disloyal a-holes. If the governments focused on luring more companies then 80% of Baltimore’s problems would be solved. The BDC should have cut it’s time and effort on real estate years ago. If they had focused on luring companies instead of building hotels, a lot more developments would have broke ground without their “hand holding” a la tax incentives. “Kill two birds with one stone” as the saying goes....

The untold truth is that Maryland has a terrible business climate on relative basis with an 8.25% corporate tax rate higher than that of New York , Illinois and Virginia and has one of the worst publicity machines of any state. Another unspoken truth is the disloyal companies that have sold the farm instead of acquiring and growing themselves, from large corporations to fledgling incubated firms. This is partly due to the lack of identity of the state of Maryland,regional complacency and refusal to compete with neighboring states. Honestly, what do you think of in positive economic terms when someone says Maryland? Perhaps the states a bore and companies would rather sell than to stay, that’s a serious brand image problem IMO....

Finally it all comes down to ambition, ambition of the developers, ambition from the governments and ambition from residents. If they really wanted it, it would have happened by now. If they settle for average and you hear them say that certain projects are over the top, then you have a serious self confidence/Identity crisis....
And yet somehow we continue to live in the richest state of the 50 in the richest country in the world. Higher income, lower unemployment and more advanced degrees than any other state. For all it's faults, Maryland and Baltimore isn't that bad a place to live. I have to admit that as some point on most days I hear the news about the US and the world and ask myself.. in consideration of all the horrifying things that happen in the world, how did I ever get to lucky as to be born and live here? I get to be pissed off about not enough tall buildings instead of not enough food or too many violent rebel factions or outbreaks of Cholera or governments that lock you up in a dunghole for being disgruntled. All things considered, not too bad.

#207 ·
And yet somehow we continue to live in the richest state of the 50 in the richest country in the world. Higher income, lower unemployment and more advanced degrees than any other state. For all it's faults, Maryland and Baltimore isn't that bad a place to live. I have to admit that as some point on most days I hear the news about the US and the world and ask myself.. in consideration of all the horrifying things that happen in the world, how did I ever get to lucky as to be born and live here? I get to be pissed off about not enough tall buildings instead of not enough food or too many violent rebel factions or outbreaks of Cholera or governments that lock you up in a dunghole for being disgruntled. All things considered, not too bad.
don't forget the O's consecutive sucky seasons. the ravens are a good balance though.

#209 ·
Also merry christmas everyone for Christmas I got a ipod touch (which is strange because I already have a iPhone), some timberland boots, $400 check, colon, a digital camera, and some Bose headphones (my mom is going to take them back Friday because I told her I can't take care of headphones for nothing and those cost $100)

#211 ·
Also merry christmas everyone for Christmas I got a ipod touch (which is strange because I already have a iPhone), some timberland boots, $400 check, colon, a digital camera, and some Bose headphones (my mom is going to take them back Friday because I told her I can't take care of headphones for nothing and those cost $100)
Dude, what have you been using all these years until now? :? :lol:
Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoy your colon! :lol: I know I love mine!!
J/K I knew what you meant. Just being a little silly. :nuts:

#213 ·
The latter part of December plays host to many new and ancient holidays; those traditions have overlapped and intermingled in this big mixing bowl of a country. Merry Christmas to the Christians and a great Hanukkah to the Jews, a good Yule to the Germanics, Kwaanza to it's practioners, Mithras Birthday to the Mithraists, as well as Saturnalia and the Feast of Fools and the Solstice to the people who like that.
I think you covered all the bases scando:), well said. I'll take the easy route and just say happy holidays to all on here, no matter what you belive in. May you all have a peaceful day with your family, friends or whomever you spend it with.

Mabye Infoman got his new colon from Mercy:nuts:. Seriously though, now that you have a digital camera, we need to start seeing some shots taken by the Infomous Infoman.

#214 ·
I'll stick with the majority on this.

#215 ·
Seems like the Little Italy streetscape project is moving ahead despite the City's budget issues. Should be fully underway by the end of summer 2009. Engineering crews have been out marking utilities, surveying and going door to door inspecting basements for underground vaults before digging starts. No decent renderings or documentation I can find other than a brief mention (http://www.baltimorecity.gov/government/planning/cip/2008CIPList.php) but Fawn Street from S. Central to President and High Street from Eastern to Pratt are getting new street surfaces, utilities, curbs, gutters, sidewalks with brick trim and "victorian style" streetlights. Should be a big upgrade, although oddly given Dixon's priorities, no mention of street trees or landscaping.

#216 ·
Dude, what have you been using all these years until now? :? :lol:
Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoy your colon! :lol: I know I love mine!!
J/K I knew what you meant. Just being a little silly. :nuts:
sennheiser's or grado's are better than bose or at least I think are supposed to be per audio buffs. I have entry level audiophile senn hd-555's.

try the head-fi forum for future reference

#218 ·
Link to old thread

Under Construction

Four Seasons (44 stories, 494 ft.) & Legg Mason (26 stories, 350 ft.)

Mercy Expansion Tower (18 stories)

Morgan Stanley (6 stories)

McHenry Row (6 stories)

Johns Hopkins Children’s Center (12 stories)

The Fitzgerald (5 stories)

JHU Biopark and Related Developments

UMB Biopark

The Domain

Proposed

Westport

Canton Crossing

State Center

10 Inner Harbor

300 East Pratt Street

(Not the actual rendering. Just a concept)

Harbor Point

Naing Towers
The Rotunda
701 E. Baltimore Street

Superblock
Cityscape

Gateway South

Rec Pier Development
University of Baltimore Law School

Baltimore Arena

Sheraton Four Points
The Olmstead

The Pinnacle

Broadway Market Redevelopment
Gateway at Washington Hill

Greektown Condos

Chesapeake Square

Waxter Center Redevelopment
Station North Redevelopment
Rash Field Redevelopment
Poppleton Redevelopment
Uplands Redevelopment
Barclay Rehabilitation
Red Line
Green Line
Charles Street Trolley
Peter, an excellent list and excellent find of photographs. A couple of additions for future development sites (hopefully):

2330 St. Paul Street (vacant lot of land up for sale, I think)
Central Parking Lot (305 Guilford Avenue, on the lot of Club One)
Parking lot directly adjacent to the Eden Apartments in Fells Point
City-Owned Parking lot behind the downtown Sheraton
One Light Street
The Mechanic Theatre site
The Icon (hopefully, a compromise is reached, perhaps wishful thinking)
Lot across the street from Harborview (lofts were once to be built here)
The remaining developable sites along Key Highway
Lot across from the Southside Shopping Center in Locust Point
Lots across from Attman's Deli
Lots adjacent to Attman's Deli along Lombard and Central Avenue
Streuver development in Locust Point

50-some-odd developments, many of which include multiple buildings, that we can look forward to over the next 15-30 years.

Also, a note on the height debate -- Baltimore can uniquely add to its character by having buildings that AREN'T as high as those in other US cities. Many cities in Western European Countries don't have buildings with nearly the height we have in the U.S., and those cities are plenty classy.