SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Baltimore Development News

12M views 70K replies 461 participants last post by  rockin'.baltimorean 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated August 1, 2014

A lot has changed since this thread was first created. I’m updating this post with a new list. It is current – as far as I know – as of August 1, 2014. I left the original post at the bottom to preserve it for posterity.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Exelon Tower, Harbor Point
415,000 sq.ft. office, 103 apartments, 41,000 sq.ft. retail

520 Park Ave., Mount Vernon
171 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former department store and office building)

The Lenore, Downtown
102 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Federal Reserve Bank)

10 Light Street, Downtown
430 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Baltimore Trust Company Building)

Jefferson Square Apartments, Washington Hill
300 apartments, ground-level retail

Hyatt Place, Harbor East
208 hotel rooms, ground-level retail

301 North Charles Street, Downtown
96 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Baltimore Life Insurance Company Building)

Calvert & Light Apartments, Downtown
181 apartments, 6,000-12,000 sq.ft. retail (conversion of the former USFG building is underway; approval still needed for demolition of 30 S. Calvert Street and construction of nine-story apartment building)

Marketplace at Fells Point
160 apartments, 27,000 sq.ft. retail

Rotunda Redevelopment, Hampden
379 apartments, 152,000 sq.ft. retail, 140,00 sq.ft. office

2 East Wells, Riverside
153 apartments, 6,000 sq.ft. retail

APPROVED AND PROPOSED

414 Light Street, Downtown
372 apartments, ground-level retail

Mechanic Theater Redevelopment, Downtown
476 apartments, 110,000 sq.ft. retail

325 West Baltimore Street, Downtown
229 apartments, 100,000 sq.ft. office, 8,00 sq.ft. retail

One Light Street, Downtown
350 apartments, ground-level retail

900 East Fort Ave., Locust Point
275 apartments, 15,000 sq.ft. retail

601 South Charles Street, Downtown
351 apartments (This will replace the closed University Specialty Hospital)
Rendering at this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...tment-complex-slated-to-replace.html?page=all

Harbor Point Apartments, Phase 1, Harbor Point
285 apartments, ground-level retail
Rendering at this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...18-story-harbor-point-apartment-building.html

Stadium Square, Federal Hill
300,000 sq.ft. office, undetermined number of apartments and retail
Renderings unavailable

Four Seasons Residence, Harbor East
63 condos atop the existing Four Seasons hotel
Renderings unavailable

Below begins the original post from December 16, 2008

Link to old thread

Under Construction

Four Seasons (44 stories, 494 ft.) & Legg Mason (26 stories, 350 ft.)

Mercy Expansion Tower (18 stories)

Morgan Stanley (6 stories)

McHenry Row (6 stories)

Johns Hopkins Children’s Center (12 stories)

The Fitzgerald (5 stories)

JHU Biopark and Related Developments

UMB Biopark

The Domain

Proposed

Westport

Canton Crossing

State Center

10 Inner Harbor

300 East Pratt Street

(Not the actual rendering. Just a concept)

Harbor Point

Naing Towers

Morris A. Mechanic Theater Redevelopment

The Rotunda Redevelopment

701 E. Baltimore Street

Superblock
Cityscape

Gateway South

Rec Pier Development
University of Baltimore Law School

Baltimore Arena

Sheraton Four Points
The Olmstead

The Pinnacle

Broadway Market Redevelopment

Gateway at Washington Hill

Greektown Condos

Chesapeake Square

Waxter Center Redevelopment
Station North Redevelopment

Pratt Street Redesign

Rash Field Redevelopment

Poppleton Redevelopment

Uplands Redevelopment
Barclay Rehabilitation

Red Line
Green Line
Charles Street Trolley

See less See more
#82 ·
Looking through BBJ's Book of Lists found some interesing info...

Largest commercial real estate deals in the Baltimore area
1. Nottingham Properties office portfolio $363.9M
2. Legg Mason lease at Harbor East $192.8M/15yrs
3. Gateway Commerce Center $125.8M
4. Westview Corporate Center $95.9M
5. 2 Hopkins Plaza and 10 E. Baltimore st. $78M

Wealthiest zip Codes in the Baltimore area (2008)

1. 20777 Highland Howard Co.
2. 21153 Stevenson Baltimore Co.
3. 20759 Fulton Howard Co.
4. 21029 Clarksville Howard Co.
5. 21738 Glenwood Howard Co.

Largest Projected Job creations in the Baltimore area (2009)
1. T Rowe Price Group Inc. 1400 jobs
2. Merkle Inc. 550 jobs
3. Northrop Grumman Corp. 500 jobs
4. BGE Home Products & Services Inc. 400 jobs
5. Franklin Square Hospital Center 300 jobs

Largest Shopping Centers in the Baltimore area

1. Mall in Columbia 1.4M sq.f/202 stores
2. Arundel Mills 1.3M sq.f/170 stores
3. Owings Mills Mall 1.3M sq.f/155 stores
4. Westfield Annapolis 1.2M sq.f/173 stores
5. White Marsh Mall 1.2M sq.f/142 stores
Nice find ! With all the construction going on at Hopkins, it's hard to imagine that less than 300 jobs will be created. It's a little funny, considering the economic situation of the country, that T.Rowe Price is adding that many jobs. Good news for the Baltimore area, though.

#83 ·
Nice find ! With all the construction going on at Hopkins, it's hard to imagine that less than 300 jobs will be created. It's a little funny, considering the economic situation of the country, that T.Rowe Price is adding that many jobs. Good news for the Baltimore area, though.
TRP will not be adding that many jobs, I can guarantee that. That would be a 30% increase in their local workforce. Over 20% total. That would be some serious job growth even in the best economy.

#84 ·
http://www.baltimoreexaminer.com/local/121908redline.html
:eek:hno:

Local News
[Print]
End of the line for transit route?
By Stephen Janis
Examiner Staff Writer 12/19/08
Feds withdraw crucial red line funding

Two million dollars in federal funds designated for engineering studies of route alternatives for the proposed Red Line transit system has been withdrawn by the Federal Transit Administration.

The funds were part of a congressional earmark that Maryland Transit Administration planners allowed to lapse after missing a deadline for filing paperwork last year with the FTA.[/QUOTE]

This is somewhat distressing, but if I were a betting person, I would bet that this won't have much effect on the outcome of the Red Line. The Bushes have never been transit friendly and things just might re-start when the Obama people take over. I think they ought to forge ahead anyway.

#85 ·
Debt-choked GGP puts Harborplace & The Gallery up for sale
ROBBIE WHELAN
Daily Record Business Writer
December 18, 2008 7:06 PM

General Growth Properties, the beleaguered Chicago real estate trust that owns nine prime retail properties in Maryland, is looking for a buyer for downtown Baltimore’s Harborplace & The Gallery, two shopping centers that were at the heart of the city’s downtown revitalization.

The listing is part of a larger sale of the company’s Festival Marketplace portfolio, which includes, in addition to the two Baltimore properties, New York’s South Street Seaport and Boston’s Faneuil Hall.
GG has been so lame in regard to their handling of Harborplace, that I can't imagine that the next owner won't be better. They don't seem to have a clue as to how to run and promote the place.

#86 · (Edited)
Looking through BBJ's Book of Lists found some interesing info...

Largest commercial real estate deals in the Baltimore area
1. Nottingham Properties office portfolio $363.9M
2. Legg Mason lease at Harbor East $192.8M/15yrs
3. Gateway Commerce Center $125.8M
4. Westview Corporate Center $95.9M
5. 2 Hopkins Plaza and 10 E. Baltimore st. $78M

Wealthiest zip Codes in the Baltimore area (2008)

1. 20777 Highland Howard Co.
2. 21153 Stevenson Baltimore Co.
3. 20759 Fulton Howard Co.
4. 21029 Clarksville Howard Co.
5. 21738 Glenwood Howard Co.

Largest Projected Job creations in the Baltimore area (2009)
1. T Rowe Price Group Inc. 1400 jobs
2. Merkle Inc. 550 jobs
3. Northrop Grumman Corp. 500 jobs
4. BGE Home Products & Services Inc. 400 jobs
5. Franklin Square Hospital Center 300 jobs

Largest Shopping Centers in the Baltimore area

1. Mall in Columbia 1.4M sq.f/202 stores
2. Arundel Mills 1.3M sq.f/170 stores
3. Owings Mills Mall 1.3M sq.f/155 stores
4. Westfield Annapolis 1.2M sq.f/173 stores
5. White Marsh Mall 1.2M sq.f/142 stores

I'm not sure I believe the Shopping Center figures. Towson Town Center isn't on that list and its both bigger and has lots more stores that Owings Mills Mall!

#88 ·
This is somewhat distressing, but if I were a betting person, I would bet that this won't have much effect on the outcome of the Red Line. The Bushes have never been transit friendly and things just might re-start when the Obama people take over. I think they ought to forge ahead anyway.
I agree. A quote from the article even states that they will be moving ahead regardless. It's a shame that we dropped the ball on that one, but it shouldn't affect the overall project. It might, however, give the opposition one more arrow in their quiver for why it shouldn't be built. Working for MTA must be one of the most stressful jobs out there; nothing comes easy.

#94 ·
I wonder what will ever become of this proposal?

What do you all think will happen?
i'm not holding my breath for it. i'm guessing that the final project will be half as tall and years off. the only way i see it happening anytime soon is if a bunch of the BRAC support companies opens or expands their downtown presence and brings a lot of younger people to the area. i.e,,, booz allen hamilton has a small downtown office; their main operations for this area are at aberdeen and near fort meade...makes sense. they, and others, would have to really start operations in earnst downtown for things to take off. i think this opens a good discussion though.... with the national economy as it is, how does everyone think we'll do locally with the influx of BRACers?

#95 ·
http://www.baltimoreexaminer.com/business/121708arena.html

1. The ESmith Legacy proposal includes a seven-screen movie theater, 20,000 square feet of retail space and a 1,000-seat concert venue, in addition to the larger sports and entertainment arena. (I would love a new movie theater)

2, and 3. Cormony's proposal includes a 400-room hotel, a 240,000-square-foot office tower and 12,000 square feet to 20,000 square feet of retail space. » A&R Development, J Street Development Co. and Accent Development Co. The partnership of Baltimore-based A&R and Washington-based J Street and Accent, under the name Arena Development, also submitted an original proposal in July 2007. The Arena Development plan includes up to 100,000 square feet of retail space. A decision by the BDC on the arena developer could be made by mid-2009 at the earliest. After seeking proposals for a new Baltimore arena in 2007, the BDC in July announced it would seek proposals for a new 18,500-seat venue, which could attract an NBA or NHL team to Baltimore, at the site of the 46-year-old 1st Mariner Arena on West Baltimore Street. The BDC issued a new request for proposals in August. A new arena could cost as much as $300 million, but Brodie said additional hotel and retail uses could drive up the project cost. The BDC is seeking significant private financing of the project. Construction on the 1st Mariner Arena site would leave the city without a major entertainment venue for three to four years.

4. The Struever Bros. plan includes a 300-room hotel and 43,000 square feet of retail space.

#96 ·
I don't know if this was posted before!!!

The Science and Technology Part at Johns Hopkins Hospital - Baltimore, MD

Master planning a new community in east Baltimore, the $1 billion, 31-acre life science research park will house 2 million square feet of space designed to meet the challenging demands of the biotech research industry. Along with 850 new or renovated homes attractive to mixed income homeowners and renters, plans call for parks, schools, landscapes and streetscapes.

#98 ·
Some Food for Thought-

Has anyone contemplated the impact on Baltimore if, say, Baltimore-Washington seriously contended for the Olympic Games in 10 or 20 years?

I think it would significantly accelerate many of these projects given the pressure to show-off our attributes to the World. And just think, a Baltimore-Washington Olympics could make Baltimore shine if many of these projects are realized for such an occasion. What with a viable mass transit system; new retail, residential, and office buildings; an Olympic village, say, at Westport; all connected by Maglev to Washington, DC; and an Olympic experience accentuated by the cultural and political significance of the games also taking place in Washington, DC. The synergy of this combination could produce remarkable results for Baltimore.

Hey, a man can dream . . . but no doubt the potential is there.