SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Baltimore Development News

12M views 70K replies 461 participants last post by  rockin'.baltimorean 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated August 1, 2014

A lot has changed since this thread was first created. I’m updating this post with a new list. It is current – as far as I know – as of August 1, 2014. I left the original post at the bottom to preserve it for posterity.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Exelon Tower, Harbor Point
415,000 sq.ft. office, 103 apartments, 41,000 sq.ft. retail

520 Park Ave., Mount Vernon
171 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former department store and office building)

The Lenore, Downtown
102 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Federal Reserve Bank)

10 Light Street, Downtown
430 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Baltimore Trust Company Building)

Jefferson Square Apartments, Washington Hill
300 apartments, ground-level retail

Hyatt Place, Harbor East
208 hotel rooms, ground-level retail

301 North Charles Street, Downtown
96 apartments, ground-level retail (conversion of former Baltimore Life Insurance Company Building)

Calvert & Light Apartments, Downtown
181 apartments, 6,000-12,000 sq.ft. retail (conversion of the former USFG building is underway; approval still needed for demolition of 30 S. Calvert Street and construction of nine-story apartment building)

Marketplace at Fells Point
160 apartments, 27,000 sq.ft. retail

Rotunda Redevelopment, Hampden
379 apartments, 152,000 sq.ft. retail, 140,00 sq.ft. office

2 East Wells, Riverside
153 apartments, 6,000 sq.ft. retail

APPROVED AND PROPOSED

414 Light Street, Downtown
372 apartments, ground-level retail

Mechanic Theater Redevelopment, Downtown
476 apartments, 110,000 sq.ft. retail

325 West Baltimore Street, Downtown
229 apartments, 100,000 sq.ft. office, 8,00 sq.ft. retail

One Light Street, Downtown
350 apartments, ground-level retail

900 East Fort Ave., Locust Point
275 apartments, 15,000 sq.ft. retail

601 South Charles Street, Downtown
351 apartments (This will replace the closed University Specialty Hospital)
Rendering at this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...tment-complex-slated-to-replace.html?page=all

Harbor Point Apartments, Phase 1, Harbor Point
285 apartments, ground-level retail
Rendering at this link: http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...18-story-harbor-point-apartment-building.html

Stadium Square, Federal Hill
300,000 sq.ft. office, undetermined number of apartments and retail
Renderings unavailable

Four Seasons Residence, Harbor East
63 condos atop the existing Four Seasons hotel
Renderings unavailable

Below begins the original post from December 16, 2008

Link to old thread

Under Construction

Four Seasons (44 stories, 494 ft.) & Legg Mason (26 stories, 350 ft.)

Mercy Expansion Tower (18 stories)

Morgan Stanley (6 stories)

McHenry Row (6 stories)

Johns Hopkins Children’s Center (12 stories)

The Fitzgerald (5 stories)

JHU Biopark and Related Developments

UMB Biopark

The Domain

Proposed

Westport

Canton Crossing

State Center

10 Inner Harbor

300 East Pratt Street

(Not the actual rendering. Just a concept)

Harbor Point

Naing Towers

Morris A. Mechanic Theater Redevelopment

The Rotunda Redevelopment

701 E. Baltimore Street

Superblock
Cityscape

Gateway South

Rec Pier Development
University of Baltimore Law School

Baltimore Arena

Sheraton Four Points
The Olmstead

The Pinnacle

Broadway Market Redevelopment

Gateway at Washington Hill

Greektown Condos

Chesapeake Square

Waxter Center Redevelopment
Station North Redevelopment

Pratt Street Redesign

Rash Field Redevelopment

Poppleton Redevelopment

Uplands Redevelopment
Barclay Rehabilitation

Red Line
Green Line
Charles Street Trolley

See less See more
#1,001 ·
#1,002 ·
Umm I actually dont find anything wrong with this..What's wrong with an adult trying to have a little fun?Like people haven't seen worse things.C'mon people..OO Now just because he's an olympic medalist..he has to act like an angel now?It's life..get real!:lol:
The reality is this: Unless you are the President of the U.S. where you're allowed to admit to past indiscretions, absolutely no one is going to give future endorsements to someone who publicly admits to being an avid pothead.

Fame and fortune following the olympics is extremely rare as it is. To endorse Phelps now would be akin to endorsing the lifestyle that pot smoking glorifies - dangerous and carefree living.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to go out in public in that manner, or maybe he was saying to the world 'screw you, I'm M.P. and I can do what the F*** I want'.

No company whose products thrive on familiy values is going to endorse being a pothead. Anyone who had hoped to capitalize on Phelps's record breaking gold medal achievements, including Phelps, has now had those hopes dashed - mark my words.

#1,003 ·
While we're at it, why not bring smoking back on flights and when pot smoking is legalized, why not allow the pilot a potty break as well?

Don't forget about the CSX freight train engineer who killed 16 passengers in January 1987 in Chase, MD when he left his locomotive in the path of a New York bound Amtrack metroliner. He later tested positive for maryjane.
I actually met that train engineer at a driver improvement class.

#1,005 ·
I believe there will be repercussions for Phelps, money-wise. He's already getting a lot of negative press in the news. I know we are all human and make mistakes, but his image is one that's larger than all of ours combined. He's supposed to be the poster child of Thee Olympic American Hero! I mean, either he does do this a lot, or he doesn't do it a lot and didn't think about the possibility of someone cashing in on him smoking pot. Camera here, camera there. Whoops! Those are the things you do forget about when you are a pot-head. :eek:hno:
Another smack in the face for Baltimore as well, if you think about it. He was the big man. The main rep for the city as of late. Plans to do this and to do that. Kids looked up to him. Now what's he going to say to the younger kid who sees him smoking pot, and has looked up to him as an example? Mom and Dad said all along, "look at Michael Phelps. He worked hard to get to be an Olympic Champion. If you do like he does, maybe you could be one too!" And now this. Sorry little Billy. Sorry little susan. Michael isn't the example we thought he was. Then they'd say, "But he smoked pot and won on those medals!" "So why can't I do that too?"
Just saying. This is a big letdown. :(

#1,007 ·
How could anyone not already know michael phelps is a pothead.. hes the biggest airhead ever. ever hear the guy talk?? duh duh duh, me like swimming... he claims to have a.d.d. and im sorry but anyone claiming to have add or social anxiety disorder is 90% likely to be a pothead.

book this in the not surprised file.
Wow...that statement was full of facts.

So phelps took a couple bong rips @ age 23, big deal. Its not like he was trying to smuggle pot through an airport or was caught with multiple bags of it. I'm quite positive he's not a pot-head I think it would've appeared in one of his drug tests when he was competing.

#1,008 ·
^^ That's not my issue. IMO, he is in the spotlight. He is a huge example to kids. He is not me when I was 23 or 18 or whatever. He is super famous for being an American Olympic Hero. That's a huge thing to carry. I'm just saying, he should at least have been more careful. He is still human, yes. But his actions and statements carry more weight than the average person. We are examples to our own family and friends. He is an example to millions of kids all across America and the rest of the world. So in that context, it is a big deal. Image is everything when you are in the big spotlight.

#1,009 ·
He is not a rock start where it’s ok to break the law doing drugs. He is an Olympic athlete and the image of that is one who takes care of their bodies. That is the problem with his and why he will pay dearly as sponsors pull away. In the day and age of instant information sharing, he should know that word of doing that will get out. But then again, I guess if all you do is swim, and that is why you are famous, then beyond the mental strength he has to make himself swim and swim and swim and push through the pain, he is not very smart. Dummy.

#1,010 ·
Here's the official apology from MP's blog... I wonder how was paid for the photo...

SwimRoom
By: Michael Phelps Date: Feb 1, 2009 - 01:32 PM
Michael Phelps Statement
I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I’m 23-years-old, and despite the successes I have had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner that people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public – it will not happen again.

#1,011 ·
Did the sponsors pull away from Brett Farve?

He had a much publicized drug addiction. Not a recreational drug habit..but a drug addiction.

Last time I took a look at who was hocking Wrangler jeans...Brett's been forgiven.

Plelps will be fine.

*****One could argue that this could actually help open him up to new line of endorsements....America loves a badass. Potheads no, but badasses, we love them.

#1,012 ·
I generally agree with you guys, but come down off the highhorse. If this happened in plenty of other countries, it would not make headlines. Let him enjoy life, he is ontop of the world right now, and I hope one day he writes a book about how one time he got so high and won a whole bunch of good medals. Maybe then it will put to rest all these crazy notions about the illegitimacy of ones personal habit.

I haven't posted here in months, but I still read and seriously...I am happy for him. He made a stupid mistake, but who cares...he still represents Baltimore quite well and the United States for that matter.

#1,013 ·
Funny thing is, a lot of people coming down on him (not you guys but the whole country and the media) are most likely hooked on prescription drugs or take them because they think it's a cool thing to do. That's way worse than pot. Who cares about a little pot. He's just stupid to do it at a big party with cameras. Little kids look up to him and he just pissed off a lot of parents.

#1,014 ·
Holmes goes from drug dealer to Super Bowl MVP

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP National Writer
13 hours, 56 minutes ago

More NFL Videos TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—Santonio Holmes sat on the grass alongside the end zone— legs outstretched, head bowed, arms wrapped tightly around the ball.

He’d come too far to let go.

The kid who once sold drugs on a street corner had grown up to become MVP of a most remarkable Super Bowl.

Holmes, who overcame his gritty childhood in rural south Florida, made a brilliant touchdown catch with 35 seconds left to give the Pittsburgh Steelers their record sixth Super Bowl title, a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday night.

“I dared the team,” Holmes said. “Just give me the ball, give me the chance to make plays and I will do it for you.”

He was true to his word on the 6-yard winner.

After a pass to the left corner went through Holmes’ hands, Ben Roethlisberger lofted the ball toward the right corner, over the hands of not one, not two, but three Arizona defenders. Holmes leaped to get it—and somehow managed to drag both feet in bounds, his toes barely scraping the grass before he tumbled out of bounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

The official threw up both arms—touchdown!—and Holmes sat out of bounds for several seconds, looking down at a ball he didn’t want to give up. His teammates piled on top of him, celebrating a game that will go down as one of the greatest in Super Bowl history.

The referee took a look at the replay to make sure Holmes had control of the ball and got both feet down. The third-year receiver never had any doubt.

“I knew it was a touchdown 100 percent,” he said. “My feet never left the ground. All I did was stand on my toes and extend my hands.”

Amazingly, Holmes’ catch came at exactly the same point—35 seconds remaining—as Plaxico Burress’ 13-yard touchdown catch in last year’s Super Bowl, giving the New York Giants their upset of the unbeaten New England Patriots.

That finish was a classic. This one was even better.

“The first read was the running back in the flat, but he wasn’t open,” Roethlisberger said. “Then I was going to try to bang it to Hines (Ward, MVP of the 2006 Super Bowl), but someone was closing in on it and I was a little nervous about it. It wouldn’t have been a touchdown. I looked back, scrambled a little bit and saw ‘Ton’ in the corner. I tried to throw it high so he was going to catch it, or no one was.

“Luckily, he made a heck of a play.”

Holmes was so good—nine catches for 131 yards, four of them on the winning 78-yard drive—that he actually managed to outshine teammate James Harrison, who seemed to be a shoo-in for the MVP award through three quarters.

“Santonio is a guy who just loves to deliver in big moments and big games,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Harrison, the NFL’s defensive player of the year, returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown on the final play of the first half. The longest play in Super Bowl history gave the Steelers a 17-7 lead heading to the locker room, and they stretched it to 20-7 after three periods.

But Kurt Warner and the gritty Cardinals rallied, going ahead 23-20 with 2 1/2 minutes remaining on Larry Fitzgerald’s 64-yard touchdown catch.

Then it was Holmes’ turn to shine. Earlier in the week, he used the Super Bowl stage to acknowledge selling drugs in Belle Glade, Fla., hoping his story would persuade other youngsters growing up in tough surroundings to turn their life around, just as he did.

Now, he’s given them another compelling reason to follow his path.

“This is a wonderful blessing,” Holmes said. “I would like to thank the Lord for helping me overcome all the things I overcame, the coaches for sticking with me, the organization for being behind me and believing in me, and my quarterback for giving me this opportunity to make plays for him all season.”

After being drafted in the first round out of Ohio State, Holmes matured into one of Pittsburgh’s key offensive players by his third season, making 55 catches for 821 yards and five touchdowns in 2008. He added three more scores in the playoffs.

“What he did tonight was similar to what he did in the month of January in the playoffs to get to this game,” Tomlin said. “In big moments we know what we can get from him.”

Before the final drive, Holmes told Roethlisberger to look his way. They hooked up for 14 yards. Then a 13-yarder. A 40-yard play took the Steelers to the Arizona 6.

And, finally, the one that mattered most of all.

“The sky’s the limit for that guy,” Roethlisberger said. “He has the potential to go where no receiver has ever gone. This is a big confidence boost for him.”

On Pittsburgh’s winning drive, Holmes and a hand—and feet—in all but 5 yards.

Roethlisberger actually looked for Holmes on first-and-goal, but he couldn’t hang on to the high throw. Holmes slapped the ground after the ball slipped through his hands, then headed back to huddle.

He was sure thankful to get another chance.

“I said to him that I wanted to be the guy to make the plays for this team,” Holmes said. “Great players step up in big-time games to make plays.”

They don’t get any bigger than this.

If Holmes can go from a drug dealer to MVP of the Super Bowl then Phelps can overcome his controversy.

#1,016 ·
I think he can get past it, but he's got to be as cynical as the rest of the sports/advertising/promo world. Personally I have a youth that was way too mis-spent to put a harsh judgment on MP, but what he did certainly was real dumb PR wise. Unfortunately, I also think that doing not-too-smart things is the other thing he does well aside from swimming.

People with compromised morals like me can get past this, but in our weird American world where we obsess about purity and sin, MP needs to join the game. I can already hear the pool moms sweating bullets about the image he presents to our youth (who probably already know more than their parents) and the sports officials, especially in Europe who sense blood in the water and want to ruin a successful American while they pursue their mission to purge sports of all drugs except for the ones they think are OK.

I think he needs to not only confess, but to delcare his victimhood ("I just can't stop it"), use it and then submit to rehab. Americans love nothing more than a rescued sinner, then he can promote drug programs along with socks and Wheaties, kids can get back in the pool at Meadowbrook and parents can walk the streets without worrying about their daughters. I probably sound very cynical but really...did anybody really ever think MP was an angel?

#1,017 ·
Funny thing is, a lot of people coming down on him (not you guys but the whole country and the media) are most likely hooked on prescription drugs or take them because they think it's a cool thing to do. That's way worse than pot. Who cares about a little pot. He's just stupid to do it at a big party with cameras. Little kids look up to him and he just pissed off a lot of parents.
So you are saying it is ok to break the law as long as no one is looking? That said, we all knew he wasn't squeaky clean, what with the DWI a few years back, when he was 19, BTW. This makes it at least the 2nd time he's exhibited incredibly poor judgement. Hopefully he'll grow up big time after this incident.

#1,018 ·
Hes received no real punishment either time. Plus, like Brett Farve he gets a free publicity/media pass for whatever reason. How often do those scripted meaningless apologies fly by so easily?? Only brett farves 4 interception-game-blowing-days have gotten a proportionately easier time in the media.

I find it hard to believe he'll learn anything till he actually suffers consequences.

:cheers: duh duh duh :nuts:

#1,019 ·
The reality is this: Unless you are the President of the U.S. where you're allowed to admit to past indiscretions, absolutely no one is going to give future endorsements to someone who publicly admits to being an avid pothead.

Fame and fortune following the olympics is extremely rare as it is. To endorse Phelps now would be akin to endorsing the lifestyle that pot smoking glorifies - dangerous and carefree living.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to go out in public in that manner, or maybe he was saying to the world 'screw you, I'm M.P. and I can do what the F*** I want'.

No company whose products thrive on familiy values is going to endorse being a pothead. Anyone who had hoped to capitalize on Phelps's record breaking gold medal achievements, including Phelps, has now had those hopes dashed - mark my words.
:runaway:

#1,020 ·
I think he can get past it, but he's got to be as cynical as the rest of the sports/advertising/promo world. Personally I have a youth that was way too mis-spent to put a harsh judgment on MP, but what he did certainly was real dumb PR wise. Unfortunately, I also think that doing not-too-smart things is the other thing he does well aside from swimming.

People with compromised morals like me can get past this, but in our weird American world where we obsess about purity and sin, MP needs to join the game. I can already hear the pool moms sweating bullets about the image he presents to our youth (who probably already know more than their parents) and the sports officials, especially in Europe who sense blood in the water and want to ruin a successful American while they pursue their mission to purge sports of all drugs except for the ones they think are OK.

I think he needs to not only confess, but to delcare his victimhood ("I just can't stop it"), use it and then submit to rehab. Americans love nothing more than a rescued sinner, then he can promote drug programs along with socks and Wheaties, kids can get back in the pool at Meadowbrook and parents can walk the streets without worrying about their daughters. I probably sound very cynical but really...did anybody really ever think MP was an angel?
i'm a full believer of the "live-and-learn" philosophy. let's hope, in due time, he'll learn from his mistakes. i do believe that at some point, he must realize that he is a role model figure, whether he likes it or not. he already has a DUI under his belt along with this recent controversy, so, again, all we can do is hope.