daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2004, 01:23 AM   #1
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

Sultan Mosque

pics by hyacinthus

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #2
heirloom

Likes (Received): 0

Hajjah Fatimah Mosque

Hajjah Fatimah mosque was built in the 1840s by a wealthy buisinesswoman, in gratitude for several perilous escapes from danger. She married a Bugis Prince from the Celebes, the son of the Raja of those countries. Besides that, she also carried on a large trade, owning many vessles and prows. It was only after her death that the buisiness came to be called after her son-in-law, Syed Ahmed. Raja Siti, her only child, married Syed Ahmed Alsagoff, an Arab Trader who came to Singapore after it was established as a British trading settlement. Mother, Daughter and Son in law are all buried in a private enclosure in the mosque grounds.

the minaret supposedly tilts by 6 degrees! according to some website... the minaret looks like something you find in a church.. it doesnt look like it's tilting though maybe its been corrected.

heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
RafflesCity
By Spirit

I thought that was a church next to the mosque! Where is it located?

Here is Malabar Mosque, near the Sultan Mosque

Malabar Mosque, known as the Golden Dome Mosque is situated at the corner between Victoria Street and Jalan Sultan.
This is the only Mosque in Singapore which is fully managed by the Malabar Muslim Community.This is the place where all our Malabar Muslims gather during Friday, Aidil Fitri, Aidil Adha or any other major functions. The new outlook of the mosque also attracts people from all corners.

Building this mosque started in the late 50s by the Malabari Community who were headed by the Malabar Muslim Jama-ath (Association that leading all the activities organised in the mosque). Malabar Muslim Jama-ath was established in 1927 and was registered in 1929 and functioned from a shop house at Changi Road. The Malabar Muslim Jama-ath's office shifted to Bussorah Street and finally established at 471, Victoria Street where it is today.

After some period the Malabar Muslim Jama-ath with the help of the Malabar Muslims had a plan to build a mosque at Victoria Street. With this plan in mind, a stone laying ceremony was held on 10th April 1956 by the Mufti of Johor, Tuan Syed Alwi Adnan who had represented the Sultan Ibrahim bin Abu Bakar of Johor.

The constructions of the mosque which started in full force was slowed down due to the lack of funds. With the Grace of The Almighty God, the Jama-ath officials braved rain and sun, and put in all their efforts to collect funds for the completion of the project. Many Muslim and Non-Muslim friends supported in cash and kind and finally the mosque was completed. The mosque was finally declared opened on 24th January 1963 by the Yang di-Pertuan Negara, Encik Yusof bin Ishak, the first President of Singapore.

Singapore's rapid development and progress and the mosque's location in city area, had encouraged the Mosque and the Jama-ath Management Committee to renovate externally. Special designed tiles Gold/Blue colour were ordered, with the effort and hardwork of both management committees, the external renovation were completed. The location, design and color had attracted many tourists and passers-by. The efforts of the committees did not stop there, as a cost cutting measure on the annual painting, they decided to continue renovating the interior of the mosque. By 1995 the whole mosque was fully tiled.

The Malabar Muslim Jama-ath and Mosque Management Committee is now well known to all Malayalees in Asia.

http://www.mosque.org.sg/malabar/about.html
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #4
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 26

At Beach Road ,opposite the St. John Headquaters.I always pass by that mosque and never fail to stare at it whenever I go pass it.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #5
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Mosque located at Jalan Sultan
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #6
redstone
Lurker

There's a small cemetery behind it.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:19 AM   #7
redstone
Lurker

Strange building: Keramat Habib Noh

Keramat Habib Noh is located at the southern end of the CBD.

The odd thing is, if you look at the map, the ECP seems to avoid the building.

Quoted from SFOGS website:

"During World War 2, bombs mercilessly destroyed the surrounding vicinity as well as the burial ground at Mount Palmer but Keramat Habib Noh remained miraculously untouched! Due to its historical value and wakaf land status, Keramat Habib Noh now stands as a symbolic monument and no form of excavation is literally allowed, or bad luck would befall. Allegedly, it is believed that the original structure design of the East Coast Park expressway (ECP) cuts through the mausoleum but construction works failed mysteriously. If you were to take a closer look today, you will find that the ECP actually bends around Keramat Habib Noh, suggesting that this famous rumour could be true afterall. Drivers who believe in the story never fail to say a prayer for Habib Noh each time they drive by the bend."

What's your take on this?
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Is it opposite Marina House? When I was young I remember seeing an Islamic/Middle Eastern looking mosque near there. Is it safe to go near it or its haunted?
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:24 PM   #9
redstone
Lurker

Yup

People say it's very holy.

I think this structure is 'new' built over the grave.There's a pic on A2O dated 1970s which shows it u/c.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:14 PM   #10
RafflesCity
By Spirit

actually it looks kinda fascinating and it might be interesting to check it out although it would seem quite difficult to access it...
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM   #11
redstone
Lurker

There's a very small Chinese temple near it.A miracle it is still there, as it isn't conserved.
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #12
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Oh this mosque.....always see it when i take bus 30......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:57 PM   #13
redstone
Lurker

Shocking!!!

There's a little mosque 'hidden' off Mount Pleasant, at Jalan Mashhor that is built in 1820!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The name is Masjid Omar Salmah.

Can someone check it out?
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:58 PM   #14
RafflesCity
By Spirit

1820?

I thought the oldest buildings here were those old Parliament Buildings?
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:00 PM   #15
redstone
Lurker

No....Surely not...

There's a small Chinese temple near URA Centre that was also built in the 1820s

But it said it was renonvated or something...Can't remember...I can't find the URA brouchure about Chinatown.
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:02 PM   #16
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone

But it said it was renonvated or something...Can't remember...I can't find the URA brouchure about Chinatown.
try the Chinatown Heritage Centre

btw how did you discover about this mosque?
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM   #17
redstone
Lurker

I was at Mount Pleasant, when my father wanted to take a look at more bungalows, we ended up driving to the road, only to see the Circle Line site (another suprise) off Jalan Mashhor. Thinking that the road was blocked, we went back. So at home, I searched the street directory, and found a mosque there. Upon googling, I found its info.
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM   #18
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Malabar Mosque

Old December 30th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #19
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Mosque in Little India

Revived to its former glory befitting that of a national monument, the Abdul Gafoor Mosque, located at No. 41 Dunlop Street, garnered another accolade recently - by becoming the first mosque to win a URA Architectural Heritage Award.

The mosque, a single-storey masonry structure, was built in 1907 to replace the Masjid Al-Abrar which was constructed in 1859. In the early 1990s, the mosque committee wanted to add a single-storey extension to create more prayer space. This led to the discovery that the structural integrity of the building was at risk. It also started an intense effort to save the mosque from a gradual and certain collapse, and spurred the remarkable restoration of this religious national monument.

To prevent the existing mosque from serious damage, its structure was underpinned using micropiles. At the same time, the existing sub-basement was deepened and enlarged to a full basement to create additional prayer space and to take advantage of the underpinning work. The creation of a basement beneath an existing masonry structure with a complete change in the foundation system was a first of its kind in the world.

With the structure secure, artisans and craftsmen tackled the finer details. Colours were used to bring out the features of the mosque. Missing minarets and the original boundary walls were reinstated. So were the original arches and arch details. Calligraphy plasterworks were restored, word by word.
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #20
ahlipp

about the nicest mosque interior i hv ever seen...in s'pore tht is

trekearth
ahlipp no está en línea   Reply With Quote