SkyscraperCity Forum banner

ALOR SETAR (الور ستار) | Kedah | State Capital City

5M views 21K replies 349 participants last post by  IwanLoqStar89 
#1 · (Edited)
City status for Alor Star from Dec 21

ALOR STAR: Alor Star will be declared a city on Dec 21 in a ceremony starting at 8pm at Dataran Tunku here.

The proclamation will be made by the Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah.

The programme for the ceremony includes a choir performance, float procession, cultural performance and a fireworks display.

A state government official said guests would include former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting will also attend the event.

The mayor will be appointed the next day at the Balai Besar here.

On Nov 28, Ong is scheduled to hand over the declaration scroll to Sultan Abdul Halim at the Audience Hall in Istana Anak Bukit.

See less See more
#62 ·
szehoong said:
It is a limestone hill. Only limestone hills looks like that ;)

Most limestone hills have cave due to rainwater which creates cavity within the limestone formation :)

Ooi! Tak study Geography ar? :D
err...at least better then andrew a bit lah..:D

#65 ·
Aiyoh.......I think I know all that in primary school lah ( BTW I sonly studied Geography till Form 3 only lah :D ).......studied that in Alam & Manusia. Rainwater which consist of some acidic substance would erode limestone slowly ;)

That is why you can never let any acid kena your precious marble floor :D

@ Andrew > Wah........you fail BM meaning all also fail loh :eek: .........moral pun tak boleh ar? Crap only mah :D

#66 ·
szehoong said:
Aiyoh.......I think I know all that in primary school lah ( BTW I sonly studied Geography till Form 3 only lah :D ).......studied that in Alam & Manusia. Rainwater which consist of some acidic substance would erode limestone slowly ;)

That is why you can never let any acid kena your precious marble floor :D

@ Andrew > Wah........you fail BM meaning all also fail loh :eek: .........moral pun tak boleh ar? Crap only mah :D
hehe. I got 8 in BM lah! still very teruk :D
I had no moral mah, I think I failed moral and biology in SPM :D:D
And I failed Sejarah, Geography and P. Moral in PMR :D:D:D
I never like to read one lah~ Anything that involves too much reading I sure fail one :D
As for P. Moral, it involves too much philosophy, for the love of God, we were 16 :D:D:D

#67 ·
Andrew Goh said:
LOL :D:D
Geography, Bahasa Melayu, Sejarah and moral I failed all :D:D:D
not much difference here...:wave::D

#74 ·
Seung-mo to play in Alor Star
Monday November 21, 2005
By DASHEER NOH

ATHENS Olympics men's singles silver medallist Shon Seung-mo of South Korea and Malaysia’s world junior doubles champions Hoon Thien How-Tan Boon Heong will be the main attractions at the Magnum-ABC-Malaysia Satellite 2005 Badminton Championships in Alor Star from Nov 22 to Nov 26.

Five categories – the men’s and women’s singles and doubles and mixed doubles, will be contested at the Sultan Abdul Hamid Indoor Stadium.

This will be the fifth time that Kedah will host the tournament on behalf of the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

Due to the clash of dates with the Sea Games in Manila, BAM will not be entering the country’s top shuttlers for the satellite tournament.

Despite this setback, the tournament still boasts of several quality players in the fray.

“On paper, Seung-mo, who lost in the Olympics final to Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat, is the best bet for the men’s singles title.

“Malaysia's best hope of bagging a title lies in the men's doubles event, where we have two proven combinations in Hoon Thien How-Tan Boon Heong, the world junior champions, and the seasoned pair of Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Latip,” said tournament chairman Teoh Teng Chor.

“But anything is possible. Last year, the surprise package came from Vietnam when Nguen Tien Minh became the first Vietnamese player ever to win an international badminton title here,” he added.

Tien Minh stunned top seed Lee Tsuen Seng to grab the men’s singles title.

Current national number one Lee Chong Wei, who will be away for the Sea Games, bagged the satellite tournament’s men’s singles title in 2003.

Malaysia have entered 135 shuttlers for the satellite meet, while the foreign entries are from Indonesia (31), South Korea and Japan (12 players each), Sri Lanka (6), Australia (4), and Taiwan and New Zealand (2 players each).

Taiwan have entered two women players – Chen Shih Ying and Chang Ya Lan – who will play in both the singles and doubles events.

In the absence of players from powerhouse China, the fight for the women’s titles points to a three-way contest among Taiwan, South Korea and Indonesia’s second stringers.

Title sponsors Magnum recently contributed RM50,000, while main sponsor Jati Serba Wangi Sdn Bhd donated RM25,000 to the organisers.

The total prize money for the tournament amounts to US$7,550 (RM26,690).

Admission on the first two days of competition (Nov 22-23) will be free, while tickets priced at RM5, RM8 and RM10 will be put up for sale for the quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals respectively.

Seventy lucky draw prizes will be up for grabs for the spectators on the last three days of the tournament, with a Nitro 125cc motorcycle worth RM4,000 donated by Chin Hin Sdn Bhd being put up as the main prize.

For further information on the sale of tickets, call Chong Boo Lat at 012-4837959.

#75 ·
hmmm.. Just to make some statement as Orang Ini dari ALOR STAR

Since the establishment of the Alor Star, the name of ALOR STAR have been used from the British Government. However, after sometimes that Malay like to malaynise the english term.... so the government change the name ALOR STAR to ALOR SETAR and make it sounds more like Malaysian. Before ALOR SETAR get the city status, our Honorable Chief Minister, change its name back to ALOR STAR.....so now the name of ALOR SETAR is officially change to ALOR STAR...

#78 ·
^ but doesnt the tree produce a fruit called buah starq?

anyway, i was in AS from darjah satu - darjah empat, St Michael Primary Sc.
when i went back in 2002, it was a huge difference, and the little stream that we went to play and tangkap ikan laga n that cute little ladybird was now a far cry from its original form.. but AS is still one of the sweetest little towns that i adore.

#79 ·
musang said:
^ but doesnt the tree produce a fruit called buah starq?

anyway, i was in AS from darjah satu - darjah empat, St Michael Primary Sc.
when i went back in 2002, it was a huge difference, and the little stream that we went to play and tangkap ikan laga n that cute little ladybird was now a far cry from its original form.. but AS is still one of the sweetest little towns that i adore.
ya...as is the prettiest town in malaysia...low crime, not much bigger event but quiet, peaceful...i like my hometown very much....

however, for the star tree, i am not sure it does or doesnt produce fruit....anyway....nice to see u...and where r u now? are u till in as? hehe