daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #381
citybooster

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
it's been stated before the design isn't final

NewYorkYimby
I hope more people realize this before going all sour on the design. I think Shvo wants something more definitive statement signifying, but until the updated design goes up I don't want to join a chorus of those disappointed at such a plain, uninspiring design for something this prominent in the skyline. I'll hold my tongue unless Shvo confirms this is it.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 8th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #382
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 626

Yeah, we should anticipate something different. The view from the Memorial almost looks like they just elongated the old design using photoshop; the easiest way to make a massing placeholder. I expect something better than what we've seen... but I still expect Viñoly to give us something very restrained and 432-esque. Certainly nothing, say, Industrial Gothic, like I'd prefer to see at this site.

So yeah, let's hold off on the criticism of the specifics of the design. But I think it's acceptable to discuss the way this massing affects the overall downtown skyline.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #383
UTEPman

Likes (Received): 12

Seems like there isn't a ton of room for unique design, since the site is so small and Shvo will likely want to maximize the floor space of each condo.

However, the fantastic SHoP supertall shows that doesn't always have to be the case.

onewtclover, bodegavendetta liked this post
UTEPman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #384
City-of-Platinum
Innovate or Decline

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
Seems like there isn't a ton of room for unique design, since the site is so small and Shvo will likely want to maximize the floor space of each condo.

However, the fantastic SHoP supertall shows that doesn't always have to be the case.
I like this one. It is very sleek and pure, and the monolithic nature of this tower is far more impressive than 432 park which is more jumbled. Quality glass will make this tower a pure delight. It also has a platinum/silver sheen to it which pleases me.

I'm sure the design will be changed. However, I won't be sad if this is the result. No need for ostentation next to the WTC. A nice simple tower will be fine here. This isn't the place to get all fancy as it will destroy the impact of the WTC on the skyline. I.e, the eye would immediately go to this tower if it was a twisting or curvy monstrosity rather than the WTC towers.

bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; September 9th, 2014 at 01:10 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #385
citybooster

Likes (Received): 176

I agree... I'd like the design to be prominent, make a strong statement in filling out the Lower Manhattan skyline. However not calling out too much attention to itself, instead balancing out the skyline aesthetically, a nice contrast to the bulkiness of the WTC complex. A little less plain however,than the most recent look, but not too radical a design as to take away from the WTC complex. It's a pretty thin lot so I like that it won't be too massive, too expansive and instead will make the area even better and greatly complement it instead of standing alone ostentatiously screaming "Look at me-ee-ee"!

onewtclover liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #386
LondoniumLex
Mind the gap!

Likes (Received): 184

Shvo or Derek Zoolander?

I would live in Chez Shvo.

Last edited by LondoniumLex; September 14th, 2014 at 08:40 AM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 greenwich, 22 thames, new york