daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old July 28th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #11061
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 3766

N207 Gouda

The Netherlands is almost uniformly flat and features hundreds of canals. It is impossible to build tunnels or fixed bridges across them at all locations, so we have lots and lots of drawbridges and bascule bridges. To avoid excessive delays, busy canals have two bridges at sluices, so while one bridge opens, traffic can use the other bridge.

This is the Juliana sluice at Gouda;

more: http://defotograaf.eu/blog/julianasluis-gouda/

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube

Wilhem275, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 28th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #11062
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 132

That thing / idea is so tremendously Dutch Not that anything wrong with that.

American might just make a taller bridge so that it didn't need to open so often...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #11063
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7-A8 Purmerend - Amsterdam

The draft EIS has been published for the construction of shoulder running along A7 and A8 between the Purmerend-Zuid and Zaandam-Zuid interchanges.

This allows for three southbound lanes on A7 and five southbound lanes on A8 during the morning rush hour. Northbound A7 already features shoulder running. The shoulder lane is continuous through the Zaandam motorway interchange.

It is a temporary relief for traffic. An ultimate solution is planned after 2020: 2x6 lanes on A8 and 2x4 lanes on A7.

snowdog liked this post
Old Today, 01:09 PM   #11064
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Neherkade, Den Haag

The Council of State dismissed the appeal against the reconstruction of the Neherkade in The Hague.

The project will widen the Neherkade to 4 through lanes, with an underpass at the Leeghwaterplein.

It is the first phase to connect it to the Rotterdamsebaan Tunnel. This will increase traffic on the Neherkade.
Neherkade is part of the internal ring road of The Hague.

The project is already underway and will be completed by late 2015.

Neherkade Den Haag by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Old Today, 01:36 PM   #11065
Ni3lS
Mod

Likes (Received): 1284

Some disturbing news in some newspapers and on some Dutch news websites today.. Something about the A9 being the most expensive highway without users and that there is no sufficient motive to expand and widen the A1/A6 between Amsterdam and Almere. (based on AADT that is actually decreasing (??)) What is your view on this Chris?

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna, Bratislava, Munich, Ljubljana, Slovenia
[2014] > Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Maastricht, Paris
Ni3lS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:39 PM   #11066
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5304

Is there any new talk of a long tunnel between A44 terminus and Den Haag, near Wassenaar?

Road_UK liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:42 PM   #11067
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Currently the housing market is mostly dead, it is difficult to get a mortgage, so housing sales are low, and upward mobility is also limited on the housing market. People remain stuck. This is felt most strongly in Almere, which relies on a strong housing market for growth.

The issue pointed out in the media assumes the housing market will never recover, thus traffic to and from Almere will never increase. Which is of course bogus, even in the low economic growth scenario, traffic growth in this area is among the strongest in the Netherlands.

People often mistake short-term changes during recession and economic crises for long-term trends. This motorway expansion project will not only address current traffic needs, but also traffic needs in 2030 and beyond. For some people (journalists) this proves too difficult to grasp.

The reported traffic volumes were also 'creative shopping' in traffic data. The quoted 59,000 vehicles per day is not the representative traffic volume on A9. The current workday AADT on A9 is between 70,000 and 85,000 vehicles per day (Diemen - Holendrecht).

Ni3lS liked this post
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #11068
Road_UK
I don't believe it!

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is there any new talk of a long tunnel between A44 terminus and Den Haag, near Wassenaar?
That current route into The Hague has buggered me in the arse a few times with these speed cameras...
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #11069
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1, Muiden

Construction of the Muiden Aquaduct.

Old Today, 03:56 PM   #11070
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
At the moment, the A4-region is under massive construction. South of Leiden, the Rijnlandroute (N206) is plannend as a 2x2 expressway between the A4 and the A44. The A4 itself is planned to have 2x4 between Den Haag and Leiden, a parallel structure is build between the Rijnlandroute and the N11, and an aquaduct is being build at Leiderdorp.
Those planse are changing the traffic volumes, as shown in the next map:

Furthermore, Den Haag municipality is working at the S100 Neherkade and a new S107-tunnel (Rotterdamsebaan) between knooppunt Ypenburg (A4xA13) and the S100.
In my opinion it seems like both the local and national goverment are planning to direct traffic between Den Haag en Amsterdam off the A44 onto the A4.
I also think that a tunnel underneath Wassenaar wouldn't solve much, since the A44 is substandard as well, with little room for improvement.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #11071
McBeans

Likes (Received): 8

Without having read the article, not hindered by any factual knowledge :-), and chris' comments, I'm wondering why they chose to do the A1-A6 at this point in time. That could be a fair point.

If it's that far forward looking, and not guaranteed, and we're already solving this, that's nice, but why not start with more pressing areas, around Rotterdam, projects such as the blankenburg tunnel and A13/A16, and maybe some work on the A20.

The traffic jams are there right now, and will not be fixed well into 2020+. Why solve for traffic jams that may occur in 2030 in Amsterdam?

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for a robust road network throughout the Netherlands, I'm just wondering about sequencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Currently the housing market is mostly dead, it is difficult to get a mortgage, so housing sales are low, and upward mobility is also limited on the housing market. People remain stuck. This is felt most strongly in Almere, which relies on a strong housing market for growth.

The issue pointed out in the media assumes the housing market will never recover, thus traffic to and from Almere will never increase. Which is of course bogus, even in the low economic growth scenario, traffic growth in this area is among the strongest in the Netherlands.

People often mistake short-term changes during recession and economic crises for long-term trends. This motorway expansion project will not only address current traffic needs, but also traffic needs in 2030 and beyond. For some people (journalists) this proves too difficult to grasp.

The reported traffic volumes were also 'creative shopping' in traffic data. The quoted 59,000 vehicles per day is not the representative traffic volume on A9. The current workday AADT on A9 is between 70,000 and 85,000 vehicles per day (Diemen - Holendrecht).

Last edited by McBeans; Today at 04:06 PM.
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #11072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

From all the Schiphol - Amsterdam - Almere sub projects, one could argue that A9 (Diemen - Holendrecht) and A6 through Almere are the least urgent right now.

But the project is already constructed over a 10-15 year timespan. For example, the A9 widening won't be completed until 2024, and A6 through Almere won't be completed until about 2022-2024 either.

The way this project is widened, with tunnels, bridges and local-express systems, doesn't make it very useful to postpone adding a lane until a later time. For example, the A9 Gaasperdam Tunnel, A1 Muiden Aquaduct and A6 Holland Bridge will all be built for 2030+ traffic, it doesn't make much sense to do this in two phases (one half tunnel or one half bridge at the time). That solution won't save any money either.

It needs to be stressed that this € 4.5 billion project is not spend in one year, but rather 30 years, as they are several DBFM contracts based on availability payments. Postponing certain items won't save much money over the next few years, even if they are under construction right now.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands