SkyscraperCity Forum banner

myMississauga (Ontario, Canada)

247K views 1K replies 128 participants last post by  christos-greece 
#1 · (Edited)
The city (incorporated about 35-40 years ago) is located just west of Toronto with a population of just over 700,000 people. The city is trying to reinvent itself from being a suburb (which, unfortunately, has some less than inspiring sub divisions and industrial parks), to more of an urban centre with a genuine and vibrant downtown. Some of the more traditional village type communities include Streetsville and Port Credit. IMO - By far the most scenic street is Mississauga Road starting from Britannia and Mississauga Road (Queen Street) in Streetsville south to Port Credit; it's like a country road with a lot of great turn-offs, access to parks and great views of the Credit River (which flows into Lake Ontario).

Profile: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Forum_Mississauga_Profile_2.pdf
Quick Facts: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/Forum_Quick_Facts_2.pdf

What the Mississauga City Centre (MCC) might look like within the next 10 years. There are currently about 9-10 towers u/c in MCC ranging from 30-56 storeys with no less than 30+ proposed ranging from 30-60 storeys.

Current Skyline (or part of):

Widesuites:

Parkside Village:

First tower of the new urban village

The Absolute World Project (buildings 4 and 5) which is currently under construction.

The Absolute Community (buildings 1,2 and 3)

One Park Tower (one of my favourites):

Various:

Kariya Park:

Streetsville Village:

Bread and Honey Festival and Parade from June 7th:

more to come...

See less See more
#34 ·
Just north of the Living Arts centre, across the street from Empire Cinemas (Sq1), this is what's proposed.

"Slated for an 8.5-acre parcel of land immediately north of the Living Arts Centre (LAC), the proposed mixed use project is comprised of a 12-storey, 225-room hotel/conference centre and eight condominium towers. As well, the plan calls for live/work and retail units on Duke of York Blvd."

From YYZER:

I will be the first to take pictures:)

#35 ·
Beautiful pictures, Jason! I live in Mississauga and am shocked at how close to home your pictures are to me. I have high hopes for MCC and I hope I'm not disappointed, though thus far everything seems to be on a good track. It will be interesting to see how the parking-lot land around Square One turns out when the redevelopment begins...

#36 ·
Thx. Considering all the effort, in the past few years, that a lot people and organizations have put into making MCC the best it can be and learning from the mistakes of the past, I'm sure it will not be disappointing. The next 3-5 years will be interesting to say the least.

As a by-product, so-to-speak, I'm hoping that as development and redevelopment marches on in MCC it starts to spill over westward, along Burnhamthorpe to Mavis/Creditview and south to Dundas and Hurontario and then a km in each direction; this area in particular needs some serious TLC. There are some nice neighbourhoods but there are bordered by hideous strips malls, car dealerships and a like but there has been some progress.

The Cooksville Colonnade was built recently, a new condo project is on the go and the neighbourhood (next to the bridge) pictured below. A rundown used car dealership and and some old warehouses were replaced by these townhouses - a massive improvement! A couple of others things are going on that is slowly but surely improving this area of town but time will tell...I have hope!

The new LRT along Hurontario through MCC and up to Brampton, once in place, will also reshape, dramatically if I may add, Mississauga in terms, of course, how people get around and how new neighbourhoods are built along the line, etc; I think there should be one that runs along Mavis as well.

#37 · (Edited)
I think the new Confederation Parkway overpass (bridge) is going to take on a life of its own. On the northside it's pure suburbia and the southside it's going to be a wall of urbanism. When I was on the overpass and walking towards the city it really hits you when you get to the apex of the overpass, it's like stepping into another world and it's only going to get more dramatic as time moves on. Universal condo, on the right in the last picture, provides an excellent effect of massiveness as you approach the city.

Am I being too dramatic, perhaps, but that was cool...

#42 · (Edited)
The City of Mississauga is putting little splash pads and chalets in the area parks; it's a small thing but it's cool...

This land was left to the city to be used for educational purposes only. I believe there are now plans to build a campus for one of the Ontario colleges and/or universities. The site is a stone's throw away from MCC, major highways and the soon-to-built light rail system that will run along Hurontario in a north/south direction.

There is an old one room school house on the premises along with a couple of 19th century houses and a church.

Churches:

MCC from the clock tower in city hall -> excellent views:
Square One shopping centre, soon all the ground level parking with be replaced by either integrated parking garages, mall expansion, expanded transit facilities and a new Square One Village with outdoor retail, cafes, restaurants, green space, etc...

Library Square:

A few construction projects:
Eve:

Ultra Ovation:

Chicago:

Other:

New Daniels (developer of surrounding condos) soon-to-be park:

Inside the Civic Centre:

Better be in shape to see the mayor:

Quiet time:

Skateboarder time:

Taken from the Eastgate Parkway and Cawthra overpass:

#46 · (Edited)
Mississauga has some great community parks and this is one of them. The park has two baseball fields, a soccer field, general purpose field (connected to a school), a dog park, tennis courts, splash pad, a forest with walking trails and a creek. Last night, the park was quite busy; the community was definitely out in force - it was great!

South Asian Heritage Festival this weekend at Civic Centre and Library Square. Some new Canadian citizens were being sworn in as well.

MCC various

#55 · (Edited)
I'm discovering new places as well including the green space below. I believe it's a new green belt type park that was recently developed; it's located northwest of the Eglinton and the 403 overpass. It looks to be a bird sanctuary of some kind as well because there are tons of them there living in the marsh and around the pond. There are some good bike and walking trails that lead up to the Hershey Sports Zone. You wouldn't know that it's there because it's surrounded by large banks that run along the 403 and Eglinton. It's fantastic because not only is it a great nature park it also provides excellent views of MCC; it has a dog park as well. I discovered it because I saw someone walking on top of the banks...

#58 ·
Nothing says Canada Day like a Tim Hortons truck on the go!
Also, those stacked townhouses look really nice and interesting. Whereabouts are they located?

#62 ·
The Glenerin Inn is located on The Collegeway near Mississauga Road and Dundas which is just a stone's throw away from the UofT in Mississauga in the Credit River Valley area. Beautiful old building that was built back in the 1920's - most excellent!

Pick your own apples - just south of Eglinton along Mississauga Road

Other:

#64 ·
The Glen Erin Inn! I hear it's haunted!
As the story goes ... the owner (a middle-aged proper gentleman) hung himself from a rope over a beam and at night one can hear footless steps along the hallways and smell his cigars in select rooms.

#66 · (Edited)
For the longest time Mississauga had the distinction of being simply a bedroom community to Toronto but times are changing; it's has become very much a business community as well. With over 52,000 companies, 425,000 employees, over 50 of the top 500 corporate Canadian head offices located in Mississauga and for the first in history more people coming into Mississauga as oppose to leaving the city to go to work, Mississauga has definitely come long way in the past 5-10 years. Here are some more examples:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.