search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #601
Liverpool1207

Likes (Received): 4287

The old chippy/Chinese on corner of Stafford St/Islington being gutted....
DSC_2477 by R S, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #602
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 186

It fills a space.....
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 01:19 PM   #603
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 14214

Rags to renaissance: Liverpool’s Fabric District vision

Link

Neglected and overlooked for decades, the Islington area of Liverpool city centre is now on the cusp of an exciting rebirth. There are plans for new homes, shops and offices as part of an ambitious vision which pays homage to the district’s long-standing textile tradition.

Abakhan on Stafford Street was, for generations of Liverpudlians, the go to place for all things fabric.

This emporium of cotton, silk, fleece and felt, alongside dozens of other fabric and fashion retailers in Islington, is part of the area’s rich textile heritage which stretches back to the early 19th Century.

It’s a heritage which is being tapped into as Islington prepares to be reborn as the ‘Fabric District’.

A trio of key active local stakeholders; JasonAbbott and Richard and Suzanne Jennions – the Islington Stakeholders Group (ISG) – are desperate to see what they feel is a forgotten part of the multi-billion pound Knowledge Quarter (KQ Liverpool), reach its full potential.

The collective hopes the area will become a thriving mixed-use destination, where start-ups can work alongside established family businesses and people of all ages can live and enjoy a proper retail offer with bars, restaurants and public art.

The stakeholders are drawing inspiration from successful regeneration projects such as that of Shoreditch in London and have recently completed a vision document for the district.

“My family has been involved in this area for over 40 years,” explains Jason from the ISG. “My father had a printworks on Gildart Street for 35 years and then more recently, myself, my sister and another partner have rented the buildings for the last 15 years to whoever came along. We’ve seen plans come and go for Islington without a lot of change.”

Last year, frustrated by a lack of progress, Jason and other property owners in Islington decided to do something about improving the area and founded the ISG.

“We want to create a new vibrant area of Liverpool in a place which has been largely forgotten,” says Jason.

“The vision document doesn’t include detailed plans but it’s an overview of what we want the area to become, including our aspirations for housing in the Fabric District.”

The document also includes a proposal to turn Stafford Street into more of a high street with bars, restaurants and shops to serve a part of the city centre which Jason feels is often ignored by many Liverpool residents.

In an attempt to engage more locals on the vision, Liverpool-based social enterprise PLACED hosted an interactive pop-up event this summer outside TJ Hughes on London Road – the edge of the Fabric District.

“Those we spoke to were enthusiastic about improvements to the area and the desire of the stakeholder group to make it a better place to live, work and spend time,” says Jo Harrop, director of PLACED.

“They told us that currently it doesn’t offer much to keep you there, that it doesn’t offer much to attract the younger generation and that isn’t an area they would spend time in during the evening.

“People felt improvements proposed by the stakeholder group could help make it a place to spend time rather than just somewhere they pass through.”

It appears that the new vision is beginning to gain traction with developers also. In September, Yu Property Group (YPG) won planning consent for a 10-storey residential development on Devon Street in the heart of the district.

“Islington has been an unremarkable part of the city for decades now but, as part of the expanded KQ Liverpool, it’s undergoing a fabulous renaissance,” said managing director Ming Yeung at the time.

Separate to the ISG, one of Islington’s biggest landowners has brought forward its own plans to bolster the area’s residential stock.

Town Square Development, on behalf of T.J Hughes Ltd, last month submitted plans to Liverpool City Council to demolish its Hughes House building, which was last used as TJ’s furniture store, and replace it with an eight-storey complex of 182 apartments.

The proposals, which include space for three new retail units and a new TJ Hughes Express shop, also suggest that the nearby Audley House – home to the main TJ’s store – could be redeveloped in the future.

Meanwhile Jason from the ISG has some ambitious plans for his own property holdings in the Fabric District which stretch from Kempston Street near the Thelma Madine Academy down to the corner of Gildart Street.

“One of the last tenants we had smashed the place up and left us with a bit of a blank canvas,” explains Jason of his three-storey building on Kempston Street.

“I started to look at what we could do with the building and it’s actually quite unique and interesting in its layout.”

With the help of renowned interior design firm Sheila Bird Group, Jason is now in the process of developing what he describes as a new space for “craft, work and play” to be known as The Tapestry.

It’s been confirmed that co-working space DoES Liverpool will relocate from the Gostins Building on Hanover Street to the new venture, with work already well underway on site.

In other news Gary Millar, co-owner of Parr Street Studios, confirmed to Your Move that he is also in talks over a possible future commercial venture in the Fabric District, demonstrating the area’s already burgeoning attractiveness for local entrepreneurs.

With all this talk of co-working space, bars and revitalising a disregarded area, it’s inevitable some observers will draw comparisons with the Baltic Triangle – another once neglected part of the city centre which has experienced a successful resurgence in recent years – but it’s not a view Jason pays much credence to.

“This isn’t a digital and creative part of the town – I don’t want it to be labelled as another Baltic Triangle,” he says.

“We’re not trying to copy what the Baltic has done, historically the area has been about fabric and making things.

“This is about the people who have been operating in this area for a while now looking to create something which is a lot nicer than what is currently there and make it a better place to work and live.”

Sunny-way liked this post
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 01:55 PM   #604
superla

Likes (Received): 809

Been meaning to post this tweet for a few days but wasn't sure we're was best. It links in with portobello reds post above and gives a good update of progress on this project. Check out @sheilabirdgroup’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/sheilabirdgroup/...804837377?s=09

Portobello Red liked this post
superla está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 02:11 PM   #605
B&I

Likes (Received): 1043

Absolutely brilliant. Is there any way other ground-up organisations like this can be encouraged to improve individual districts of the city, for example for Chinatown, or Renshaw Street? And could this organisation help encourage a revival of the London Road?
B&I no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 02:26 PM   #606
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 14214

Was any material actually 'woven' in this area?

There used to be a lot of shops on Stafford Street selling rolls of fabric, but there is no sign of any 'mills' weaving cloth. This is the reason that I can't take to one of the new builds being called 'weavers' - It sounds like something from Oldham.

There are plenty of other terms relating to fabric that could be used (if that is what they are looking for).

How about silk, chiffon, Georgette, velvet, cashmere, - or even tailoring terms such as herringbone, houndstooth or sharkskin?

Don't be a quilt and give us wool terminology

Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 02:33 PM   #607
B&I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello Red View Post

Was any material actually 'woven' in this area?

There used to be a lot of shops on Stafford Street selling rolls of fabric, but there is no sign of any 'mills' weaving cloth. This is the reason that I can't take to one of the new builds being called 'weavers' - It sounds like something from Oldham.

There are plenty of other terms relating to fabric that could be used (if that is what they are looking for).

How about silk, chiffon, Georgette, velvet, cashmere, - or even tailoring terms such as herringbone, houndstooth or sharkskin?

Don't be a quilt and give us wool terminology

Don't know if fabric was ever made here in any quantity, but weren't there once a hige number of businesses, many Jewish-owned, which traded in fabric here, a bit like a smaller version of what is now the Northern Quarter in Manchester ?
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:59 PM   #608
Sunny-way

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by superla View Post
Been meaning to post this tweet for a few days but wasn't sure we're was best. It links in with portobello reds post above and gives a good update of progress on this project. Check out @sheilabirdgroup’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/sheilabirdgroup/...804837377?s=09

Exciting times for that area:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TapestryL...215808/video/1
Sunny-way no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:05 PM   #609
UnterDenLinden
über den Boden

Likes (Received): 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&I View Post
Don't know if fabric was ever made here in any quantity, but weren't there once a hige number of businesses, many Jewish-owned, which traded in fabric here, a bit like a smaller version of what is now the Northern Quarter in Manchester ?
Apparently, and before the Islington motorway was driven through it, it was a much larger area with Islington as a district blending seamlessly (hey!) into the Scotland Road area.
UnterDenLinden está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:25 PM   #610
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnterDenLinden View Post
Apparently, and before the Islington motorway was driven through it, it was a much larger area with Islington as a district blending seamlessly (hey!) into the Scotland Road area.
That would be a 'Yes' .....
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:30 PM   #611
B&I

Old photos I've seen suggest that the area was densely built up, in particular with Edwardian and inter-war blocks of flats, and William Henry Street was like a mini-high street within it. For about the 9 millionth time, I wonder how kuch more character, interest and animation inner-city Liverpool would have had if that ring of tenement complexes girding the city centre had been modernised, rather than flattened

Last edited by B&I; October 21st, 2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:56 PM   #612
Neilsatiscitycentre

Likes (Received): 181

Personally, I'd call it the Jewish District, instead of the Fabric District. Why not? That's precisely what it was for most of its history. The Jewish community moved away due to economic and other reasons but we've got just as much reason to call it the Jewish District as those that exist in Spanish or East European cities. My mother during and after WW2 worked for a Mr Finestore in that area. Lovely man, according to mother. Paid for all of the girls to go and see Gone With The Wind. Ran a factory called G Day's. Such a nomenclature might even encourage a repopulation by younger Jewish people with ideas and ambition from other parts of the UK and wider world. Fabric District? Oy vey!
Neilsatiscitycentre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:06 PM   #613
UnterDenLinden
über den Boden

Likes (Received): 847

The idea of Jewish districts is somewhat problematic historically. And after all, ghetto golf is in the opposite end of the city centre...

It is because of this history I suppose that while Little Italys, China Towns, Japan Towns, Korea Towns and Arab Streets have been commericalised and promoted as destinations within cities long after most of the ethnic communities that founded them have moved out, the same hasn't happened with historic Jewish neighbourhoods. We are left without a convenient name for such an area. Ghetto is a non-starter. There is a street in London called Old Jewry because that where the City's Jews lived before they were expelled by Edward I but that's not much better.
UnterDenLinden está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:18 PM   #614
B&I

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnterDenLinden View Post
The idea of Jewish districts is somewhat problematic historically. And after all, ghetto golf is in the opposite end of the city centre...

It is because of this history I suppose that while Little Italys, China Towns, Japan Towns, Korea Towns and Arab Streets have been commericalised and promoted as destinations within cities long after most of the ethnic communities that founded them have moved out, the same hasn't happened with historic Jewish neighbourhoods. We are left without a convenient name for such an area. Ghetto is a non-starter. There is a street in London called Old Jewry because that where the City's Jews lived before they were expelled by Edward I but that's not much better.

Another reason may be that many old Jewish neighbourhoods in British cities are now much diminished physically, such as parts of the East End, Red Bank / Cheetham Hill and Higher Broughton in Manchester / Salford, Chapeltown in Leeds, the Gorbals in Glasgow and around Carlisle Circus in Belfast.

Some better marker of the neighbourhood's history beyond a couple of panels on the old Galkoff's butchers would be a good start. Are there any buildings still standing in the area which played a part in Jewish community life, and which could act as a focal point?
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:46 PM   #615
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 1348

There's still very Jewish parts of London, though I doubt many people would go out of their way to visit Stamford Hill. Unless they've got a thing for big furry hats.

Why not just call it what is is? Whitechapel was never the Huegenot quarter or Jewsville or Banglatown (they tried the last one but thankfully it never stuck and is becoming increasingly inappropriate now that the fourth wave of immigrants - the hipsters - are populating it). Maybe Whitehipsterchapel?
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 09:05 PM   #616
Sunny-way

Once the butchers is demolished, I think that will pretty much be any trace of that community gone for good, in that part of the city.
Old October 21st, 2017, 09:06 PM   #617
Sunny-way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool1207 View Post
The old chippy/Chinese on corner of Stafford St/Islington being gutted....
DSC_2477 by R S, on Flickr
Does anyone know what's happening with this one?
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #618
Liverpool1207

Likes (Received): 4287

Working on stripping out the old Picture House pub....
DSC_2559 by R S, on Flickr
Old October 28th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #619
Tom Hughes

Likes (Received): 988

The main problem with London Rd is that it has no depth and the substance is wafer thin like the film set of an old western movie. A few half delapidated frontages and some cheap modern additions will never draw footfall away from the main shopping areas. The side streets have mostly been cleared and it's parallel twin.....Islington is merely a road. Instead of building the edge lane retail park or project Jennifer, this whole area should've been dedicated to this broad retail offer. Large furniture and white goods stores and perhaps a relocation of the greaty and St John's markets to give real massing. As it is, it is doomed to further decay and a slow death imo. The knowledge quarter and studentsville may book end it sufficiently to allow it's survival but I think far greater retail developments are needed to allow if to thrive rather than survive.
Tom Hughes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #620
B&I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hughes View Post
The main problem with London Rd is that it has no depth and the substance is wafer thin like the film set of an old western movie. A few half delapidated frontages and some cheap modern additions will never draw footfall away from the main shopping areas. The side streets have mostly been cleared and it's parallel twin.....Islington is merely a road. Instead of building the edge lane retail park or project Jennifer, this whole area should've been dedicated to this broad retail offer. Large furniture and white goods stores and perhaps a relocation of the greaty and St John's markets to give real massing. As it is, it is doomed to further decay and a slow death imo. The knowledge quarter and studentsville may book end it sufficiently to allow it's survival but I think far greater retail developments are needed to allow if to thrive rather than survive.

There could be a retail future with a bit of thought. We are told that substantial numbers of fairly prestigious retail chains have left Liverpool because the main retail destination (Liverpool One) has pushed them out to keep its offer fresh. If these could be directed to other parts of the city centre, a lot of the lower end stuff currently around the fringes of it could be pushed into the London Rd. Sadly all this may await a solution to the Gordian knot of the St Johns

Tags
paris