daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #301
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

A photo of the new 800th birthday coin i recently bought. Bronze £9.99 in little presentation box, very smart.

Can be bought via internet here.

LHS: 800th logo....................RHS:Timeline of the citys history.

Photographed in shadow and light.

Last edited by JUXTAPOL; May 14th, 2007 at 01:53 AM.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #302
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 194

Arrow Not a penny more.....for 2008 'Lucky' Liverpool should have been prepared .....

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/l...name_page.html

Jowell tells Liverpool: not a penny more for 2008 May 16 2007

by Larry Neild, Liverpool Daily Post

CULTURE Secretary Tessa Jowell yesterday revealed that her Department of Culture, Media and Sport will not hand another penny to Liverpool’s European Capital of Culture Year.

It means that the council will have to find its own way of bridging a £22m gap in funding for 2008.

During a visit to Liverpool she was full of praise for the city’s aspirations and the role, as culture city, that it will play in a UK Cultural Olympiad linked to London’s games in 2012.

But, asked whether there would be any extra government cash, she told the Daily Post: “There is no more money from my department.’’

It was, for the minister, a day of contrasts, as she heard the gloss and the good news from the Liverpool Culture Company and the council.

She met local leaders of her own Labour party and they painted a very different picture, pointing out the cash shortages and what are seen as shortcomings in a lasting legacy.

The council is expected to put forward its financial plan at meetings in June, when proposals for finding a shortfall of £29m will be put forward – most of the money related to the culture year.

The minister outlined her proposals for the UK Cultural Olympiad, which begins next year, saying it will be the best ever.

She toured the recently reopened St George’s Hall and outlined her vision for the Cultural Olympiad in the magnificent concert room.

She said: “One clear lesson of the last ten years is that cultural festivals are a great way of engaging people’s imagination and energy. The competition to find the UK’s European Capital of Culture in 2008 – won by Liverpool – showed the scale of ambition that our communities have.

“Liverpool are pioneers in showing how culture can galvanise communities so it is fitting that the city should be hosting a year long festival as European Capital of Culture when the Olympiad begins.”

Welcoming Mrs Jowell, council leader Cllr Warren Bradley said: “It was the people of Liverpool who won the culture title.

“We want a unique international programme that will have the people of Liverpool embedded into every- thing we do. In 30 years, I want the people of Liverpool to say that 08 was the start of our great renaissance.”

Mrs Jowell described Liverpool’s culture year programme as ambitious, but said it was for the city council to deliver it successfully.

“The people involved are excellent and very ambitious, and I am confident it will be a successful year.” But the minister emphasised that there will be no money from government.

Liverpool Labour leader Cllr Joe Anderson said: “We do not want to put a spoke in the celebrations, but we felt it important to point out during our meeting with Tessa Jowell that there were issues with funding and the engaging of the wider communities of Liverpool.”

[email protected]

'Lucky' Liverpool should have been prepared, says minister >>>

A PLEA for an extra £10m to cover 2008 policing costs was also rejected, a government minister insisting: “You should have prepared properly.”

Speaking in the House of Lords, the Bishop of Liverpool urged ministers to recognise the burden of coping with an extra 24m visitors during Capital of Culture year.

The Right Rev James Jones pointed to the example of Manchester – awarded an extra £5m back in 2002 when it was struggling to pay the bill for the Commonwealth Games.

Former Liverpool MP David Alton said Manchester had also been handed £4.5m to meet the cost of policing last year’s Labour party conference in the city.

But, in reply, Home Office minister Baroness Scotland insisted there would be no extra cash for an event Liverpool had been “lucky” enough to win the right to stage. Merseyside police had already enjoyed a 3.7% increase in its budget this year to £307.3m, the minister said. She added: “It is something for which they should have prepared.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speaking in the House of Lords, the Bishop of Liverpool urged ministers to recognise the burden of coping with an extra 24m visitors during Capital of Culture year."

and who pray will be helping pay the burden of the London Olympics?

However having an extra 24m visitors during the Capital of Culture year, the council had better get it right!

Let`s hope the `Labour Lord Mayor` for 2008 earns his spurs...... tuite suite.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/

Last edited by Pietari; May 16th, 2007 at 06:53 PM.
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #303
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietari View Post
Baaah Humbug....

Where is big business, Cunard would be good for a start what with their Liverpool history.
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #304
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
The Right Rev James Jones pointed to the example of Manchester – awarded an extra £5m back in 2002 when it was struggling to pay the bill for the Commonwealth Games.

Former Liverpool MP David Alton said Manchester had also been handed £4.5m to meet the cost of policing last year’s Labour party conference in the city.

But, in reply, Home Office minister Baroness Scotland insisted there would be no extra cash for an event Liverpool had been “lucky” enough to win the right to stage. Merseyside police had already enjoyed a 3.7% increase in its budget this year to £307.3m, the minister said. She added: “It is something for which they should have prepared.”
errr and Manchester wasnt lucky enough to win the Commonwealth games.

- The trams have been stopped and where and what is going to happen to the money
- Funding has been cut on the museum
- I know its partly our fault about the CoCC money but the government has refused to give us money whilst billions is being spent on Londons Olympic bid
1878EFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #305
Pietari
Just something

Arrow Raising Liverpool’s profile even higher is next Lord Mayor’s top priority .....

Raising Liverpool’s profile even higher is next Lord Mayor’s top priority May 16 2007

Liverpool Daily Post

Paul Clark, the next Lord Mayor of Liverpool, explains how he plans to make sure the city capitalises on its investment opportunities

LOOKING ahead to my 12 months as Lord Mayor of Liverpool, one of the duties I am most looking forward to is the traditional role of opening new buildings.

At the rate this city is being redeveloped, I will certainly have my work cut out.

The billions of pounds being pumped into Liverpool through new investments and regeneration projects, the rise in employment, the increase in the volume of business accommodation and improved transport links are all testament to the city's sustained growth.

This year we celebrate our city's 800th birthday and 2008 is of course European Capital of Culture year. This gives us a golden opportunity to capitalise on the city's improving image by attracting yet more investment and tourism.

I have already informed local government officers that I would like to take a proactive approach and want my role to be ambassadorial rather than ceremonial. I want to make a real difference and have devised three themes to my year in office.

They are what I call the three I's – Investment, Initiative and Image, with the latter being the key.

From the window of my office, I can see the progress of Grosvenor's £1bn redevelopment of the Paradise Street area of the city centre – one of the largest retail schemes in Europe. Other retail initiatives such as the redevelopment of the Metquarter will see the city raise its profile from the UK's 17th most popular shopping destination to 4th.

By the end of 2008, there will be £2.5bn worth of investment resulting in 73 projects – all helping to attract further foreign business investment, benefiting the local economy.

One of my key targets is to instigate initiatives to raise Liverpool's profile even further. In doing so, I believe we can attract even more inward investment and nurture entrepreneurial schemes.

If I have to travel to London or further and hammer on the doors of the powers that be to sell this city then so be it.

I feel that the time has come when we can market Liverpool with great confidence. This city is moving ahead very quickly. Over the last ten years, it is the fastest growing metropolitan area of the UK and there is an abundance of evidence both visually and statistically to demonstrate this.

To continue improving our image we must ensure that all people in Liverpool appreciate the value of "brand Liverpool".

Abroad, Liverpool is known as one of Britain's most significant cities.
I was recently speaking to the commercial director of the airline Flyglobespan which is starting new routes from Liverpool to New York and Canada. He informed me his market research showed Liverpool was never far from the top of the list of UK holiday destinations for people from the USA and Canada.

Our attractions and experiences can compete with the other leading cities of the world. I understand that we have quadrupled the value of tourism in the last 15 years. We have invested in 15 new city centre hotels in the last ten years, with another five starting soon. Over the next year I want to liaise with our key tourist attractions to offer any assistance I can in raising their profile even higher.

We need to start reminding businesses that in winning the European Capital of Culture bid we proved we are better than anyone at representing the UK by showing the excitement that can be drawn from arts, culture and capturing the passion and inspiration evident in our city.

Our local businesses should advertise the merits of Liverpool. In addition to the truly world class assets of the waterfront, two cathedrals, a School of Tropical Medicine, the football clubs, the port and airport, we also have infrastructure developments such as the Arena, national bio-manufacturing centre and science park, new schools and our increasingly popular universities.

I understand that Liverpool's three universities proved more attractive to prospective students than those in any other town or city in the UK this year.

Our businesses need to capitalise on this and ensure that a large proportion of these young people build their careers here, buy a home and stay in this city.

It's certainly an exciting time and I consider myself hugely fortunate that my year in office will coincide with such momentous events. Liverpool is a fantastic city and it holds a special place in my heart. I can't wait to get started.

PAUL CLARK is a barrister at Exchange Chambers. He becomes Liverpool's Lord Mayor on May 22, 2007.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"If I have to travel to London or further and hammer on the doors of the powers that be to sell this city then so be it."

To continue improving our image we must ensure that all people in Liverpool appreciate the value of "brand Liverpool".

"I can't wait to get started."

Neither can we .....
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.

Last edited by Pietari; May 16th, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #306
Pietari
Just something

Arrow Regeneration role for Storey .....

Regeneration role for Storey May 15 2007

by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

MIKE Storey was today put in charge of Liverpool’s regeneration.

The former leader of the city council takes over the key role seven months before Capital of Culture as part of a reshuffle of the town hall’s top table.

Council leader Warren Bradley has taken immediate action after his party’s disappointing local election results two weeks ago.

He has seized responsibility of overseeing the final preparations for the 2008 celebrations, and moved Cllr Storey into the regeneration role held for nine years by Cllr Peter Millea.

Cllr Bradley has also appointed a new executive board member, Cllr Colin Eldridge, who has been given the daunting job of tackling Liverpool’s anti-social behaviour problems.

The reshuffle was confirmed at a private Liberal Democrat meeting last night, and appears to send out a clear message that the group is determined to halt Labour’s rebirth in the city.

Labour took five seats off the Lib Dems on May 3, reducing their town hall majority to just 12.

The rival party today questioned Cllr Storey’s continued role on the board, 18 months after he stood down as council leader after his part in an e-mails scandal which rocked the town hall.

Cllr Bradley said: “It is healthy for executive members to move around so they get a broad overview of what is going elsewhere in the council.”

Cllr Millea will now take over the central services portfolio. The rest of the executive board remains the same.

Opposition leader Joe Anderson said: “Cllr Storey keeping a senior role is a slap in the face for people who want to maintain standards.”

[email protected]
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #307
Pietari
Just something

Arrow Merseyside's Sector Development Programme final £4.3million phase

Merseyside's Sector Development Programme
enters final £4.3million phase

The Mersey Partnership's Sector Development Programme has announced its final phase of funding, to help secure the future of eight of Merseyside's high-performing growth sectors.

Set up in 2002, latest figures show the programme has so far stimulated turnover growth of £84.5million across the sectors, as well as creating more than 670 jobs and safeguarding a further 440. 590 adults have also completed work-based training as a direct result of sector development initiatives.

The third and final phase of the programme will be funded with £4.3million. This consists of £1.7million from Merseyside's Objective One Programme (ERDF), £1.5million from the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA) and the remainder from private sector sources.

Between now and September 2008, TMP's Sector Development team will continue to work with key support organisations from eight industry sectors, developing initiatives to improve skills levels and drive up productivity across Merseyside. These are:

Automotive & Manufacturing
Digital & Creative
Environmental Technologies
Food & Drink
Life Sciences
Port & Maritime
Professional Services
Tourism

Six of the sectors have previously been identified as part of the NWDA's Regional Economic Strategy (RES), while an additional two - Maritime and Tourism - have been included because of their specific significance to the Merseyside economy.

Manager of TMP's Sector Development Programme, Ian Shields, said; "The final phase of the programme steps up a gear. Building on what's already been achieved, it's vital we use this latest investment to further develop self-sustaining business environments for each sector, so they can stand on their own two feet when the programme ends. Our work over the next 18 months will continue to be driven by industry, for industry, and is about creating a legacy which will benefit our economy for years to come."

NWDA Executive Director for Enterprise, Innovation and Skills, Mark Hughes, said; "Sector development is absolutely critical to the economic development of the region. This programme is closely aligned with the priority sectors identified in the Regional Economic Strategy and will help to ensure that Merseyside and the Northwest remain competitive."
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #308
Pietari
Just something

Arrow AWARDS ALL ROUND FOR LIVERPOOL CITY REGION’S £1bn TOURISM STARS

AWARDS ALL ROUND FOR LIVERPOOL CITY REGION’S £1bn TOURISM STARS

· Region’s Winners Scoop The Mersey Partnership Annual Tourism Awards

· Visitor and Tourist Attractions Celebrate Another Year of Success
· Official Tourist Board in Final for Major European Award
· Tourism Sector Preparing for 08 Celebrations

LIVERPOOL City Region celebrated its worldwide appeal to tourists and visitors by honouring Liverpool City Region’s finest tourism businesses at The Mersey Partnership’s Annual Tourism Awards on Friday - 1st June 2007.

Representatives of the region’s hotels, visitor attractions, conference venues, bars, pubs and restaurants were among 500 guests at a Black Tie Awards Dinner at St George’s Hall.

Liverpool-born TV celebrity Tom O’Connor hosted the evening with assistance from BBC Radio Merseyside Presenter Roger Phillips. Local X-Factor finalists Eton Road provided the entertainment.

The Awards are organised by The Mersey Partnership, the region’s official Tourist Board and sponsored by Merseytravel in association with the Northwest Regional Development Agency, Liverpool John Lennon Airport and Liverpool Culture Company.

The Awards’ official media partner is the Liverpool Daily Post.
The newly refurbished St George’s Hall was a perfect setting for the night. The theme for the evening was the Victorian era, with the stage backdrop recreating original shops on Bold Street during that period. This theme was designed to represent the prosperity in the city during this period and how the Liverpool region is again experiencing flourishing times.

Martin King, Director of Tourism at The Mersey Partnership said: “Tonight is another memorable landmark for our Tourism Industry, which is now worth more than £1billion to the City Region’s economy. We salute and celebrate the achievements of those who are making such a fantastic contribution to our efforts to ensure Liverpool and Merseyside becomes a genuinely world-class visitor destination.

“It’s no exaggeration to say the eyes of Europe and the rest of the world are once again falling on Liverpool and Merseyside as we are celebrating Liverpool’s 800th birthday this year, and the city’s year as European capital of Culture in 08. These are tremendously important – and exciting - opportunities for everyone involved in tourism on Merseyside. It is a perfect opportunity for us to show off Merseyside’s unique appeal to visitors from all over the world. There really has never been a more exciting time for the region’s tourism industry.

Cllr Warren Bradley, Leader, Liverpool City Council said: “Next year is a once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase our unique cultural offer, but we need to ensure the welcome and overall experience is of the highest quality too. The city is fast becoming a popular destination and it's vital we continue to develop and improve how we cater for tourists. The City Council and the Culture Company is working hard with the tourism industry to ensure long-term success by developing the standard of information and customer services people receive. I'm delighted to see from tonight's evidence that, together, we are laying the foundations to create a lasting legacy.”

Peter Mearns, NWDA Director of Marketing and Communications, said: “The NWDA is pleased to continue to support The Mersey Partnership Annual Tourism Awards. Tourism is an important part of the regional economy and tonight we celebrate some of the best of what Merseyside has to offer. Merseyside’s winners will go on to compete in the coveted Northwest Tourism awards later in the year.”

The spectacular St George’s Hall ceremony comes just two weeks before the Tourist Board reaches its own major awards final at a ceremony in Athens.

TMP has won a place on the shortlist for a prestigious European Award and is the only UK Tourist Board to make it through to the shortlist for the Tourism Organisation of the Year prize in the European Cities Tourism Awards, which will be presented at a ceremony in Athens in June.

The Awards scheme, promoted by European Cities Marketing (www.europeancitiesmarketing.com) recognises and celebrates world-class performance among organisations responsible for marketing Europe’s top visitor destinations.

TMP’s nomination on behalf of Liverpool City Region will go into the final judging process alongside Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Reykjavik, and Valencia.

The Mersey Partnership Annual Tourism Awards 2007 Winners:

OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Lynn Taylor, Lady Lever Art Gallery
Award sponsored by Liverpool Culture Company and presented by Colin Hilton, Chief Executive, Liverpool City Council.

Judges’ Citation: “This person consistently goes the extra mile for customers and is dedicated to making the customer experience an outstanding one.”

Also Short Listed:
Halton – Irene Rutter, Daresbury Church
Knowsley – David Morgan, Knowsley Safari Park
Liverpool – Ronnie McCloghlin, Liverpool Ranger Service
Southport – Mikel Bate, Southport Tourist Information Centre
St.Helens – Emma Wood, Zoo Café Bar

APPRENTICE IN HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM TRAINING:
Terry Hesketh, London Carriage Works
Award sponsored by Learning and Skills Council and presented by Helen France, Director of Merseyside Area.

Judges’ Citation: “This person wants to continue to develop within the industry and hopes one day to give something back to the college who has been so supportive on their journey so far.”

Also Short Listed:
Becky Farrow, Royal Clifton Hotel
Claire Latham, Thornton Hall Hotel

TOURISM WEBSITE OF THE YEAR:
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
Award sponsored by New Mind and presented by Richard Veal, Managing Director.

Judges’ Citation: “A user friendly website that presented all the relevant information in a persuasive and visually attractive manner.”

Also Short Listed:
Fir Tree Farm Shop, St.Helens
visitsouthport.com

PERFORMANCE VENUE OF THE YEAR:
Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse
Award sponsored by BBC Radio Merseyside and presented by Mick Ord, Managing Editor.

Judges’ Citation: “This venue consistently and continually offers a wide and varied programme of ‘home grown’ and thought provoking productions within its welcoming environment.”

Also Short Listed:
Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
The Citadel Arts Centre, St.Helens

SMALL TOURISM BUSINESS OF THE YEAR:
National Wildflower Centre, Knowsley
Award sponsored by NWDA Visitor Economy Forum and presented by Felicity Goodey, Chair.

Judges’ Citation: “A business that has developed and invested in facilities, services and staff and raised both visitor figures and profile.”

Also Short Listed:
At Peel Hey Country Guest House, Wirral
The Beatles Story

BUSINESS TOURISM AWARD OF THE YEAR:
The Foresight Centre, Liverpool
Award sponsored by Virgin Trains and presented by Andrew May, Regional Sales Manager

Judges’ Citation: “Continually looking to develop and deliver facilities and services that are second to none, this business has gone from strength to strength building on its loyal customer base.”

Also Short Listed:
Conference Centre at LACE
Liverpool JMU

BAR OF THE YEAR:
Thomas Rigby’s, Liverpool
Award sponsored by Finch and presented by Duncan Frazer, Director.

Judges’ Citation: “Offering all the characteristics and service of a great bar coupled with the dedication, passion and high level of service and enthusiasm from all the staff.”

Also Short Listed:
Fly in the Loaf Public House, Liverpool
Korova, Liverpool

TASTE OF MERSEYSIDE:
London Carriage Works, Liverpool
Award sponsored by Live’smart and presented by Daniel White, Account Manager.

Judges’ Citation: ”A restaurant that offers the highest standards of cuisine and attention to detail, ensuring that all diners enjoy the whole dining experience.”

Also Short Listed:
Fifty One The Promenade, Sefton
The Yellow Room at Hillbark Hotel, Wirral

BED AND BREAKFAST OF THE YEAR:
At Peel Hey Country Guest House, Wirral
Award sponsored by Liverpool Empire Theatre and presented by Hannah Collins, General Manager.

Judges’ Citation: “Constantly looking at ways to improve and deliver an enhanced experience to their customers. This business has ensured that they pay attention to detail and consistently deliver a high level of service “

Also Short Listed:
Regent Maritime, Liverpool
The Aachen, Liverpool

SMALL HOTEL OF THE YEAR:
Hillbark Hotel, Wirral
Award sponsored by the British Hospitality Association and presented by Gordon Clark, Northern Director

Judges’ Citation: “A unique hotel that has developed and improved its facilities whilst ensuring they remain totally guest focused.”

Also Short Listed:
62 Castle Street, Liverpool
Hope Street Hotel, Liverpool

LARGE HOTEL OF THE YEAR:
Holiday Inn, Liverpool City Centre.
Award sponsored by Liverpool John Lennon Airport and presented by Neil Pakey, Chief Operating Officer.

Judges’ Citation: “This hotel successfully caters for a wide range of customers, from business to leisure guests. Throughout the hotel is a high standard of customer service offered by the staff and management, creating a welcoming and pleasant environment.”

Also Short Listed:
Radisson SAS Hotel, Liverpool
Thornton Hall Hotel and Spa, Wirral

SMALL VISITOR ATTRACTION OF THE YEAR:
National Wildflower Centre, Knowsley
Award sponsored by the Hospitality and Tourism Merseyside Training Network presented by Alison Mitchell, Chair.

Judges’ Citation: “Developing, innovating and interesting this visitor attraction has become a ‘treasure’ within Merseyside.”

Also Short Listed:
Acorn Venture Farm, Knowsley
World of Glass, St.Helens

LARGE VISITOR ATTRACTION:
Big Art for Little Artists – Walker Art Gallery
Award sponsored by Trinity Mirror North West and presented by Sara Wilde, Regional Managing Director

Judges’ Citation: “This attraction increased visitor figures with innovative ideas, and combined it with fun and learning, which appeals to many visitors, making it a worthy winner.”

Also Short Listed:
Croxteth Hall and Country Park, Liverpool
Liverpool Cathedral

BEST TOURISM EXPERIENCE AWARD:
Open Golf, Wirral
Award sponsored by Merseytravel and presented by Alan Stilwell, Director of Operations.

Judges’ Citation: “A truly outstanding experience for all involved whilst presenting the area in a positive and inviting manner to a world audience.”

Also Short Listed:
British Musical Fireworks Championship, Sefton
Liverpool Biennial
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #309
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Couldn't find a relevant thread so thought this will do.

Tall ships at Wellington dock.

Catch an old bus. (Look at this upside down)

A Polish ship.

A bloody big Polish ship.

Old June 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #310
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6714

Superb pictures Juxt.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #311
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Superb pictures Juxt.
Cheers Paul.

I was lucky to catch a few hours break in the cloud cover to catch some good sun-lit shots, and clouds with decent fluffage.
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #312
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 1063

HMS Albion

It's a big ship, ok compared to say the American carriers it isn't but it is still impressive.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #313
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 2023

great pics Doug, looks like I have missed a great w/e for big boats.
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #314
nebunul
Basarabia e Romania

Likes (Received): 476

Smile

Before Liverpool is Sibiu (Romania) - the European Capital of Culture 2007 .
You're all welcome this summer

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=423666

Timpul pentru Unire niciodată nu va veni de la sine, dacă nu-l vom face şi aduce fiecare dintre noi, cei care ne dorim Unirea cu adevărat.
“DACĂ VISUL UNORA A FOST SĂ AJUNGĂ ÎN COSMOS, EU VIAŢA ÎNTREAGĂ AM VISAT SĂ TREC PRUTUL” (GRIGORE VIERU)
nebunul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #315
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6714

Thanks Nebunul,it looks like a lovely place.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #316
cenric

Likes (Received): 0

Great pictures Juxtapol. We weren't so lucky with the weather, but still a great day

cenric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #317
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL View Post
Couldn't find a relevant thread so thought this will do.

Tall ships at Wellington dock.

Catch an old bus. (Look at this upside down)
UPC!
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #318
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
UPC!
Cheers Tom.

I'm not sure it has the required tall buildings or urbanisity for it to get the right votes.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM   #319
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL View Post
Cheers Tom.

I'm not sure it has the required tall buildings or urbanisity for it to get the right votes.
Bah - that's rubbish... lots of decent pictures get well rated that don't have pictures of tall buildings (although there is a dominance of that subject matter) - the UK one is certainly quite receptive, as long as it's got people in it or some man made structure you're fine. Hey, I got a photo of some beer barrels in the final of the world UPC, so you never know!

T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #320
Pietari
Just something

Cool Very wanderable .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebunul View Post
Before Liverpool is Sibiu (Romania) - the European Capital of Culture 2007 .
You're all welcome this summer

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=423666
Very wanderable

Tags
arts, culture, museums, theatre, theatres