daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1101
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

I remember her admitting that she went for her looks, rather than retaining her voice when she had a nose-job.

Barbera Striesand kept the conk and her magnificant voice.
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM   #1102
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 14376

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan View Post
I always liked her voice. I liked the one she sang at the end of her programme.

Written by Paul McCartney

Here's the Beatles' version:

The Beatles - Step Inside Love (Los Paranoias)

"Step Inside Love" is a song written by Paul McCartney recorded on September 16, 1968 during The Beatles (a.k.a. "The White Album") sessions but wouldn't appear on the album. The Beatles' version was previously unreleased until Anthology 3 was released in 1996.

McCartney wrote the song originally for Cilla Black in 1967 as a theme for her TV series Cilla which first aired in the beginning of 1968. Her version was released as a single on March 8, 1968, the composer credited as "Lennon/McCartney".

"Los Paranoias" (by Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr) is a song fragment that is connected with the "Step Inside Love" recording by the Beatles.

See also:

http://www.nme.com/video/id/5lMQmeau...nnon-mccartney
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM   #1103
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaloo View Post
I'm not sure what people are expecting in terms of media coverage. All the main events are reviewed. Some of the stuff - like the silver easter egg malarky and the sillyness arount the friggin' superlambanana is entirely for local consumption.

The reopening of the Bluecoat has been everywhere. All the main events are still to come.
I agree that you wouldn't expect that the egg and superlanbanana stuff to make the national news, even as an, 'And Finally' segment. However given that Capital of Culture is the most interestingly varied, and important event taking place in the UK this year, I suppose I just expected that it would garner interest on a more regular basis, outside of the local media.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1104
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

Is there anything that should have been covered that wasn't?
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:25 PM   #1105
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12652

I wasn't neccesarily suggesting a specific event had been over-looked. It's often the case that reports can be broader in focus, encompassing many smaller events together. As it is, there hasn't been either in weeks on the national news. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being naive here, thinking that every event deserves media attention. However don't you think that it's gone a little quiet lately, and would welcome more reports on the city?

It's all very well getting regular exposure abroard as Sloyne's regular updates tell us we are. It's the UK we need to work on, and this is our one shot of changing perceptions of the city within the UK. Maybe I'm being overly downbeat too soon, but I'd hate to see that opportunity slip through our fingers.

Last edited by Chris B; March 21st, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:37 PM   #1106
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

The next discrete 'event' is the European Youth Orchestra playing at the Phil on the 30th. I have had several e-mails 'reminding' me of this event so I'm assuming that there aren't exactly queues around the corner into Myrtle Street for this one.

Quite a bit is happening in April. Yoko's here on the 4/4 (day before the Grand National) so expect mega coverage then.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1107
Rock Savage

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post

I wasn't neccesarily suggested a specific event had been over-looked. It's often the case that reports can be broader in focus, encompassing many smaller events together. As it is, there hasn't been either for weeks on the national news. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being naive here and thinking that every event deserves media attention. However don't you think that it's has gone a little quiet lately, and would welcome more reports on the city?

It's all very well getting regular exposure abroard as Sloyne's regular updates tell us we are. It's the UK we need to work on, and this is our one shot of changing perceptions of the city within the UK. Maybe I'm being overly downbeat too soon, but I'd hate to see that opportunity slip through our fingers.
Indeed.

Why has nobody lobbied to get the '08' icon on the BBC and ITV national weather maps? The cost is literally zero.

London Olympics are 4 years away but already there is saturation coverage.

Also the Olympics have their own designated lottery ticket to raise millions of pounds in funds. Why has CoC not got one?
Rock Savage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1108
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Likes (Received): 69

Historic F1 street-circuit event planned 26-27 July???

IMPORTANT NEWS UPDATE - LIVERPOOL 2008 - EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE

HISTORIC FORMULA 1 EVENT - PROVISIONAL DATE: 26/27TH JULY

"Celebrating Liverpool's Grand Prix and Formula 1 heritage

This will feature both live demonstrations and static displays of Formula 1, racing sports and saloon cars from the 1950's and 60's and a selection of contemporary world class competition machinery around a specially created "street circuit" close to the City Centre/Waterfront.

Further details will be released when the location for the demonstration has been approved by Liverpool City Council."

...from here: http://www.aintree.org.uk/

So after having spent the best part of one hour bemoaning the apparent lack of appreciation of our F1 related opportunities for '08, I eventually notice this...! The shame of it. Apologies to whoever..

Mind, it's not a race- which I still think we really should've gone for, but this could be something special, albeit on a completely smaller scale.. Not entirely sure when this was put on the site, and it's a bit odd that no-one seems to heard of this, but still...fingers crossed.

Last edited by Villiers Terrace; March 21st, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Villiers Terrace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM   #1109
Portobello Red

...see posts 1024 and 1025 on page 52.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM   #1110
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Would be great to have Bernie. E. bring the F1 roadshow to a demonstration show similar to the London one, where the cars could razz up and down the Strand, although i can't see it happening as publicity is not needed U.K. wise, but is China/Russia/Far/Middle East wise.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:12 PM   #1111
Portobello Red

F1 Street Circuit

Old March 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1112
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello Red View Post
...see posts 1024 and 1025 on page 52.
Ach...and we posted the same photos too...

Ta PR. It's good to see something's been planned motorsport-wise.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1113
Portobello Red

If the council don't make the most of this then...

Who would be interested in covering this?

Don't tell me they haven't been in contact with Top Gear, ITV F1, Five Live, loads of other car programmes around the world, every motoring section in every newspaper, every motoring magazine...

Hope somebody's doing their job...if not, have a WORD with them NOW!
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1114
liverpolitan

Likes (Received): 4

There is nothing on in Liverpool on 1st April, with exception of something at the Royal Court I think. Absolutely nothing. I have checked the websites of ACC, RLPO, FACT, Bluecoat, the new arts place whose name I can't remember, Everyman and Playhouse, St Georges Hall, Anglican Cathedral and Metropolitan Cathedral. No live music, no events, no drama, nothing. The City of Culture website is a ******* DISGRACE. They don't even list dates for events that are now set. And it offers nothing for 1st April.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:04 AM   #1115
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portobello Red View Post
F1 Street Circuit

That's a fantastic video isn't it?

I'm just imagining various fantasy street-circuits around Liverpool.

ACC-Strand-WaterSt-DaleSt-LimeSt-RenshawSt-HardmanSt-HopeSt-FaulknerSt-CatherineSt-UpperParliamentSt-GambierTerrace(what's the name of that street?)-UpperDuke/DukeSt-Wapping-ACC

Another might use both tunnels, or another could use the road around Seffo and Princes Ave...
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1116
mandykore

Likes (Received): 73

Ken Dodd has a lecture 'A celebration of Liverpool laughter makers' in St George's Hall Concert Room on 1st April.
mandykore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1117
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykore View Post
Ken Dodd has a lecture 'A celebration of Liverpool laughter makers' in St George's Hall Concert Room on 1st April.
Yes, but fully booked. But good point, that counts as something pretty special on that day.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1118
Blabber II

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiers Terrace View Post

ACC-Strand-WaterSt-DaleSt-LimeSt-RenshawSt-HardmanSt-HopeSt-FaulknerSt-CatherineSt-UpperParliamentSt-GambierTerrace(what's the name of that street?)-UpperDuke/DukeSt-Wapping-ACC

Another might use both tunnels, or another could use the road around Seffo and Princes Ave...
Oh for heaven's sake. Can you please stop disfiguring SSC with this wankerish nonsense? You already have a thread on "F1". I don't see what driving round a road repeatedly has to do with culture.

Why don't you buy a scalextric set to help relieve yourself?
Blabber II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #1119
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabber II View Post
Oh for heaven's sake. Can you please stop disfiguring SSC with this wankerish nonsense? You already have a thread on "F1". I don't see what driving round a road repeatedly has to do with culture.

Why don't you buy a scalextric set to help relieve yourself?
The only solution is "ignore" Blabs, he is an insufferable wanker and a walking definition of a ****.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #1120
Portobello Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiers Terrace View Post

I've got a bit of a fantasy circuit riding my motorbike to work at the moment: Bayswater Road, Park Lane, Constitution Hill, The Mall, Trafalgar Sq., Northumberland Ave, The Embankment...and so on.

Who needs computer games when you can ride a motorbike? Grand Turissimo can kiss my arse.

Tags
arts, culture, museums, theatre, theatres